• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2014 Wild Card |OT| The Prophet

Bessy67

It would be incredibly fitting if that PI no-call is what finally pushes the league to making a rule about allowing PI calls to be challenged.

Reminiscent of the Calvin Johnson catch/no-catch in Chicago, again the lions being involved.
Penalties will never be challenge-able. The shield protects the refs to the death.

Talamius

What am I worried about? Richardson and the Roge are boys.

;)

I don't think there was a fix.. That seems ridiculous.. But that ref should still be fired..

In all seriousness, at best that looked incompetent as fuck. No way that crew should get another postseason assignment.

Tenumi

Banned
It would be incredibly fitting if that PI no-call is what finally pushes the league to making a rule about allowing PI calls to be challenged.

Reminiscent of the Calvin Johnson catch/no-catch in Chicago, again the lions being involved.

The Brandon Pettigrew rule? Does he really deserve a rule with his name on it?

I do agree that some penalties really do need to be challengeable.

Doorman

Hey--if it were up to me, Lombardi would be fired and the team would sucker some team into giving up two firsts for Calvin. I KNOW this team needs help.

But that doesn't negate the garbage calls/no-calls.

It doesn't negate garbage calls, and you can recognize a garbage call for what it is, but so much salt being sprayed about how "waaaah the refs gave Dallas the game because of that no-call!" or all the claims of Jerry Jones money or NFL scheduling illuminati ultimately stacks up to a great big pile of nothing. They're not going to review the tape and decide that the Lions will go on to face Seattle instead. People can bitch if they want to, but knowing that nothing practical comes of it, all it does is...well, make you a bitch. (ed: just to be clear the "you" here is a general term, not meant to refer to the quoted in particular. I got your back Plinko)

Why not focus on all of the other plays in the game that were detrimental to the Lions? How about Stafford fumbling the ball twice on the final drive, only getting the second attempt at it because Dallas' recovery was as inept as the fumble was in the first place? How about let's not bill the defense as "elite" when they open up and start getting gashed by Murray in the third quarter and beyond? Nope, clearly the entire focus of the game comes down to one or two plays that the referees made strange calls on. That's just an excuse so that we don't have to criticize our actual players when they fail to get the job done.

Bear in mind, I've said for weeks now that this Lions team exceeded my expectations record-wise from where I expected them to be at the start of the year. I didn't expect them to make the playoffs in the first place, so this game was a freebie to me as it pertains to the long-term health of the team. The focus now is how to rebuild the defense once Ndamukong Suh walks and Teryl Austin is hired on as a head coach elsewhere. We also need to figure out how to make this offense consistent with an inherently-inconsistent quarterback we can't afford to get rid of. I'm not wasting more time on this game, I'm curious to see how the rest of the playoffs play out and otherwise my thinking is geared towards getting the Lions to avoid this kind of lame exit next year.

iori9999

Banned
The Lions haven't done jack shit in over 50 years.. Why should we be positive? The Tigers, Pistons or Red Wings? Yes I am.. Not the goddamn Lions though..

[/B]

This is a silly comment. Jason built his program the right way, through the draft. Assembled an amazing coaching staff (Callahan, Pollack, Pope, Linehan, Marinelli, Dooley etc.), and changed the culture in Dallas. He, along with Stephen Jones streamlined the scouting department. Look at the past drafts under Garrett, fucking money.

Garrett rebuilt the Cowboys football program.

I think the fact that there's no salary cap for coaches allow Jerrah to surround Garrett with a bunch of past head coaches. As if Garrett makes any of these decisions. He must have stripped the play calling duties from himself too!

JABEE

Marshall Faulk says on Michael Irvin complaining about Faulk saying all the Colts had was Luck and Hilton. Irvin said what about Reggie Wayne. "He's on his way to the Hall of Fame." Faulk responded "he can come sit with us!"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It doesn't negate garbage calls, and you can recognize a garbage call for what it is, but so much salt being sprayed about how "waaaah the refs gave Dallas the game because of that no-call!" or all the claims of Jerry Jones money or NFL scheduling illuminati ultimately stacks up to a great big pile of nothing. They're not going to review the tape and decide that the Lions will go on to face Seattle instead. People can bitch if they want to, but knowing that nothing practical comes of it, all it does is...well, make you a bitch.

Why not focus on all of the other plays in the game that were detrimental to the Lions? How about Stafford fumbling the ball twice on the final drive, only getting the second attempt at it because Dallas' recovery was as inept as the fumble was in the first place? How about let's not bill the defense as "elite" when they open up and start getting gashed by Murray in the third quarter and beyond? Nope, clearly the entire focus of the game comes down to one or two plays that the referees made strange calls on. That's just an excuse so that we don't have to criticize our actual players when they fail to get the job done.

Bear in mind, I've said for weeks now that this Lions team exceeded my expectations record-wise from where I expected them to be at the start of the year. I didn't expect them to make the playoffs in the first place, so this game was a freebie to me as it pertains to the long-term health of the team. The focus now is how to rebuild the defense once Ndamukong Suh walks and Teryl Austin is hired on as a head coach elsewhere. We also need to figure out how to make this offense consistent with an inherently-inconsistent quarterback we can't afford to get rid of. I'm not wasting more time on this game, I'm curious to see how the rest of the playoffs play out and otherwise my thinking is geared towards getting the Lions to avoid this kind of lame exit next year.

You're preaching to the choir.

1lieaIu.jpg

friends.

slabrock

Banned
I consider myself a glass half full lions fan. Gotta roll with the punches though when they shit the bed. I don't really go to lions boards because they get too depressing

Top Bottom