• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '10 Xbox 360 Online Franchise: A World Without Favre

daw840

FrenchMovieTheme said:
by that token, jamarcus russell is a great qb in the game because he had good success with Derrius "the garbage man" Heyward-Bey

HEY. Jamarcus Russel is a great Vikings QB.
Something about typing that feels wrong......veeery wrong.

Rorschach

ph33nix said:
doesn't Jbust have A potential?
I won't say if he does or doesn't, but potential doesn't impact play. It only impacts progression.

daw840 said:
HEY. Jamarcus Russel is a great Vikings QB.
Something about typing that feels wrong......veeery wrong.
Guilty pleasures are ok!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
BigJonsson said:
Can someone give me some tips on how to run effectively with Slaton on the Texans or in general.........and how to get more interceptions manually or whatever?

Here's a tip, I'll give you Larry Johnson for him and you will run better.

Rorschach said:
I won't say if he does or doesn't, but potential doesn't impact play. It only impacts progression.

Guilty pleasures are ok!

I was wondering if it's possible for someone's potential to go up too. I have a shit load of dudes that have B :(

Rorschach

315zymx.gif

AirBrian

GG, Crow. I told you CJ was due for a bad game! You outplayed me in every facet of the game.

Definitely not the way I wanted to start the season.

EDIT: Yeah, totally missed your last PM. That's why you were in that prevent. :lol

Rorschach

LiveWire said:
Overrated my ass. McFadden is overrated.
He was rated 79 and he can't break gang tackles. Portis is waaaay overrated. No way he should carry a bunch of dudes and then break a gang tackle with a truck stick.

TheCrow

GG airbrian

My defense won the game for me. My offensive was more focused on ball control.

My rookie MLB, Alonzi Simms, played great, especially in coverage(1 int). The new players I received through trades played well. Meriweather returned a pick for a touchdown and made some big tackles in the back field. Thomas caught a big TD pass and made tough catches across the middle. More importantly my rookie QB played great and didn't have to do too much.

I feel that I will be able to stay in more games this year and I am looking forward to play it out.

LiveWire

Rorschach said:
He was rated 79 and he can't break gang tackles. Portis is waaaay overrated. No way he should carry a bunch of dudes and then break a gang tackle with a truck stick.

Portis can break a few tackles......maybe not as many as he does in Madden :lol but friggin' McFadden has like 99 speed AND can break tackles, it's ridiculous.

bluemax

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
hit sticking is definitely a double edged sword. i have caused many a-fumble with the hit stick, but i have also blown plenty of plays because of it.

also, looks like i'll be all alone in first place after week 1 unless bluemax mans up and wins. show some pride NFC westers!

It's a grudge match, I certainly plan on doing my best!

Rorschach said:
Don't worry, NFCWest, Jack English is going down next week. Hard.

Sweep the leg Jonny!

TheCrow

AirBrian said:
GG, Crow. I told you CJ was due for a bad game! You outplayed me in every facet of the game.

Definitely not the way I wanted to start the season.

EDIT: Yeah, totally missed your last PM. That's why you were in that prevent. :lol

:lol Loved how you still tried to pass into that cover 3.

As long as I was able to get in CJ's way I was able to stop him. But he did get some big runs in garbage time. My defensive stats are going to look horrible. :(

Rorschach

LiveWire said:
Portis can break a few tackles......maybe not as many as he does in Madden :lol but friggin' McFadden has like 99 speed AND can break tackles, it's ridiculous.
94 speed and can't break too many. I just cover ball up after contact because he fumbles unless I know I can break it for sure. I can't just mash right stick like Portis. And he has no truck.

bluemax said:
Sweep the leg Jonny!
No mercy.

LJ11

BigJonsson said:
Can someone give me some tips on how to run effectively with Slaton on the Texans or in general.........and how to get more interceptions manually or whatever?

Best thing to do is go into the practice mode and run all the run plays repeatedly, flip the formation as well, because some runs work better when they're flipped (QB animations take longer on some runs).

When you run inside (dives) look at your centers ass, run behind it. If he seals a DT to the right side, his ass will be sticking/point towards the left, and vice versa. Just run behind your guards/centers ass, because the DT/interior is sealed off when you can see his ass.

Goes for stretches as well, if your TE doesn't have the end sealed, it's going to be hard to get the corner unless you have speed, you can try cutting it back but it doesn't always work.

On slams/inside zone you key off your guard, if he seals inside go through the guard and o-tackle (B-gap), but sometimes they seal it up on the edge and you can kick it outside.

Don't go for the turbo button, until you see a couple of guys sealed up, then go for it. Texans have a good running playbook.

When your opponent starts clogging the middle, start going to the toss game.

Smokey is good at intercepting the deep ball, maybe he can help you out in that respect.

AirBrian

TheCrow said:
GG airbrian

My defense won the game for me. My offensive was more focused on ball control.

My rookie MLB, Alonzi Simms, played great, especially in coverage(1 int). The new players I received through trades played well. Meriweather returned a pick for a touchdown and made some big tackles in the back field. Thomas caught a big TD pass and made tough catches across the middle. More importantly my rookie QB played great and didn't have to do too much.

I feel that I will be able to stay in more games this year and I am looking forward to play it out.
Your defense was sick. Definitely kept me guessing too what you were running (and got an INT because of it).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
bigjonsson said:

The Texans do have a very good running playbook.

To add to what LJ said, you have a very good FB, follow him to daylight on any play that has him designed as the lead blocker. Lay off of the turbo so that you can change direction quickly if you find yourself in a jam. ONLY hit the turbo as you burst through a hole into daylight. If you do not hold turbo down, your jukes/spins/trucks are more effective. Lastly, as you burst through the hole look downfield to see who on your team is headed out there and if they can pick up the block of the oncoming safety. Slow down if you have to, those downfield blocks are the difference between a five yarder and a 20+ yarder.

Speed kills and Slaton's got it. Do not be afraid of running counters and tosses. Also, keep your opponent off balance and run out of three wide sometimes. They will have less guys in the box.

Really what it comes down to is making sure you have a hat on a hat. For every defender where you are headed make sure there is a blocker.

As far as defense goes, in the tournament I masked the horrible secondary with crazy pressure and zone blitzes. You can't play for ints all the time, but you can fuck up your opponents tempo by getting in his face all game. I blitzed like crazy with both Ryans and Cushing (Local boy!). They get home quite a bit. Try overloads by over Mario Williams so that he can get the one on one as well if needed. Dude just fucking go nuts. The best blitzes are the ones in which the O doesn't even know where they are coming from. Bring corners, safeties, fucking waterboys, whatever. You're going to get killed in both man to man and zone, so what's the point.

Also, you should not have cut Antonio Smith!!!! I know Connor Barwin is good, but Smith could have been a rushing DT.

If ever you want to talk about D, mine wasn't near as good as Rors or Live's last year, but we can try and tailor something to your strengths. Just give me a chance to review your roster again and we can go over things on AIM.

LJ11 said:
When you run inside (dives) look at your centers ass, run behind it. If he seals a DT to the right side, his ass will be sticking/point towards the left, and vice versa. Just run behind your guards/centers ass, because the DT/interior is sealed off when you can see his ass.

I laughed so hard reading this paragraph :lol

Rorschach

As far as defense goes, in the tournament I masked the horrible secondary with crazy pressure and zone blitzes. You can't play for ints all the time, but you can fuck up your opponents tempo by getting in his face all game. I blitzed like crazy with both Ryans and Cushing (Local boy!). They get home quite a bit. Try overloads by over Mario Williams so that he can get the one on one as well if needed. Dude just fucking go nuts. The best blitzes are the ones in which the O doesn't even know where they are coming from. Bring corners, safeties, fucking waterboys, whatever. You're going to get killed in both man to man and zone, so what's the point.
Yes, plz do this against the Raiders in week 7. If it ain't a blitz, it ain't worth runnin' that play.

TheCrow

AirBrian said:
Your defense was sick. Definitely kept me guessing too what you were running (and got an INT because of it).

My D mostly relies on speed and playing man to man or cover one. Meriweather is a huge improvement over Sean Jones. Sean Jones was horrible at man coverage and couldn't keep up with WRs and faster TEs.

Whats all this talk about Kelly James, Dane Morrow and English. Jake Scott needs to be in the conversation as well. :D

LiveWire

BigJonsson, if you want more interceptions, you gotta know your opponent first and foremost. It's very hard to scheme your way into INTs unless you can predict the players your opponent will go to. If you're fortunate enough to have a shutdown corner, you can focus on the remaining 4 eligible recievers. Highlighting (Right Trigger+receivers' button icon) a WR/TE/RB at the right time can very easily lead to an INT. I've put players into zone coverage where they had a very large responsibility (sometimes half of the field), but by highlighting the right player they immediately read the play and moved in for the pick. It's risk/reward, but if you know your opponent you'll be pleased with the results.

As for scheming, I play almost exclusively zone coverage in the game. Many of the good manual DB players (CB, Fifty) I believe use man, but they have good reaction time and read routes very well. If you're not as good at seeing it on first glance as they are, learn to use zone effectively. Mix up the coverage responsibilities--don't always make your safeties cover deep or corners play flats or mid-sideline zone coverage. And, of course, as Wellington said, BLITZ! Don't be afraid to go all out and send 7 or 8 guys every once in a while. You can force bad throws without even touching the QB if you can get a big DT or DE in their face--at least against most of the league's QBs.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Rorschach said:
Yes, plz do this against the Raiders in week 7. If it ain't a blitz, it ain't worth runnin' that play.
Dude you kill zone, you kill blitzes, you kill man to man. I couldn't do anything that game.

Jonsson, I will sacrifice myself by exposing my secretz to give you more ammo. Here's more out of my coffers:

When I was with the Texans I loved splitting Daniels out for two reasons 1) He is a great receiver, better than the Texan slot guy. More importantly, if I ran with Slaton with three wide, he sealed the edge much more effectively than the slot WR. He's a TE, he can block like a motherfucker.

I like setting my audibles... I have my formations that I like to run out of, so what I do, say it's I-Form and I called a toss... one of my audibles is an I-Form run up the gut. If I find myself in a bad situation because of what the d called, I audible to the other run. I also have a toss audible just in case. A lot of times guys love to play me inside because BJac is killer in there, so I call the toss.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
FrenchMovieTheme said:
but you may fumble from time to time ;)

Like Slaton!

bluemax

Banned
Just a random test of how OVR is impacted by awareness:

Martwon Stephens
22 AWR 57 OVR
65 AWR 63 OVR
99 AWR 67 OVR
12 AWR 56 OVR

12 is the lowest you can set a rating in the creator. So AWR is worth a maximum of 11 on your OVR rating.

TheCrow

LiveWire said:

x_x

The Jake Scott who went 7 out of 10 for 178 yards and 3 TD passes.

This bullet to Royal who was covered by the Titans #1 CB.
This other pass to the edge of the end zone that was caught by the newly acquired Mike Thomas. :D
And yet again to Mike Thomas.
unfortunately this one was against the cpu

Now on to some defensive highlights:

Rookie MLB Alonzi Simms plays zone and cuts in front of the TE for a his first career pick.

And welcome to the Broncos, Meriweather. He celebrates with this juggling int.

Birdman02

It's actually called HB direct snap....look for the formation with the TE lined up just off the line of scrimmage and the RB to the right of the QB.

Formation is DBLS WING TE.

TheCrow

bluemax said:
Is it a draw?

No, it's called something like HB Direct.

Edit: Beaten, looking at you birdman. Can't wait to face Sean Jones in a couple weeks. I hope Mike Thomas has another good game.

Top Bottom