• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden Season 12 Thread: Welcome Playstation 3 Overlords!

Where do you want this league to be run?

Results are only viewable after voting.

LJ11

I was online, no one shot me a message.

I'll hop back on if you're around.

Edit: Fuck it I'm going to bed, I'll be on for sure tomorrow Zeppy. ;)

Rorschach

Damnit MiG, why do I give you advice on how to defeat me?!

Btw- if anyone wants to know the secret on how to run, talk to mig with his 125 yards, 2 TD Ahman Green! >:|

PS: that int was bullshit..mcfadden is a pussy!

Miguel

lol, why isn't ahman getting hurt in the first play of the game? DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Also, I played total mooch ball and it worked. I'm going to go all DM on the league if I even have a spot. Doesn't look like it.

42 rushes, 3 screen passes to the RB

Rorschach

Miguel said:
lol, why isn't ahman getting hurt in the first play of the game? DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Also, I played total mooch ball and it worked. I'm going to go all DM on the league if I even have a spot. Doesn't look like it.

42 rushes, 3 screen passes to the RB
I thought you were in as the Broncos.

First time you beat me in years...I hadn't lost in 09! Rivalry renewed >:|

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Anyone want to destroy me?

How the hell do you run so well with our shitty rb's Mig? :\

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
is there a gaf room i dont see? i looksed through the user created lobbies and dont see it. but if i try to create it, it says the lobby is already made

Rorschach

CB3 said:
is there a gaf room i dont see? i looksed through the user created lobbies and dont see it. but if i try to create it, it says the lobby is already made
I think everyone was too scared to go into lobbies to try it.

LJ11

Before I log off for the night, played some random after Rors. He used the Browns, his ground attack was very good. I'm not sure what speed rating Lewis has in the game, but it seemed like he was insanely fast. His line was crushing mine on certain runs, and it seemed like he was slamming on the speed burst from the word go.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Rorschach said:
I'll play if you want.

Oh, btw, mig did booliant booh? I have no sound T_T

Can you send me a challenge,I have no idea what I'm doing online :lol

Matrix

:lol Rors raped me :(

I f-ing suck....this is going to be a long hellish season.

Also I just love wide open dropped passes,makes me feel even more like shit after I have thrown 3 ints right over the middle like im playing Madden 08.

Rorschach

I think I figured out why the more experienced and prolific runners of the league in the past are no longer able to run and why some scrubs (not you, MiG! You've always been good at running...you just abandon it for jeep) can do it well. I'll need to look into it further, but I may have cracked the code. Got some good yardage out of McFadden and a 4.8 avg with 2 TDs. :3

Matrix said:
:
Also I just love wide open dropped passes,makes me feel even more like shit after I have thrown 3 ints right over the middle like im playing Madden 08.
GG ...yeah, we should have played at Booliant to avoid the weather. :\

Matrix

Honestly in the 4th we had sooooo much mud covered on the jerseys I had trouble telling who my players were.

Also don't feel super great yet about running Rors.....cause I'm no challenge :p I was only good at Madden in 05 :(

Rorschach

Matrix said:
Honestly in the 4th we had sooooo much mud covered on the jerseys I had trouble telling who my players were.
:lol Yeah, the funny thing is that some players were clean, but Shaub was like a B movie mud monster. :p

Also don't feel super great yet about running Rors.....cause I'm no challenge :p I was only good at Madden in 05 :(
No, was testing it in practice. But it doesn't matter who you play. The behaviors are the same. That's why I said it needs more testing, but it seems to work now...more when I'm done looking into it!

[edit] NM...I think my hypothesis is wrong. Back to the drawing board! :'(

Matrix

:lol

Oh man I forget that I shouldn't play random people ....good lord it's sad to see the lengths that people will cheese to get a W.

Ramirez

Matrix said:
:lol

Oh man I forget that I shouldn't play random people ....good lord it's sad to see the lengths that people will cheese to get a W.

Yea no shit, I was tempted earlier when I couldn't get anyone here to play, but then I remembered that it was bad for my health.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Miguel said:
Ha!

Hopefully Messibowl will be a good one this year.

Maybe it was MY connection that kept dropping our games. Or maybe we have to wait until after midnight, lol. We can try again today.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I like this year's Madden better than any of the previous of this generation by a long shot. Perhaps now that I have the gunslinger on my team, I am just feeling somewhat euphoric, but as someone who has oftentimes been insanely pissed off at a spiderman DB intercepting a pass that was going to a wide open receiver, I can't help but feel a whole lot better.

Also, running the ball is more realistic and breaking off big runs actually feels rewarding rather than lucky this year. You have to get your opponent off base as far as what defense they are using as well as playing towards your strengths without getting predictable. Playcalling and strategy seem to be a greater part of this year's version moreso than the more arcadey games of the past. The scores pretty much dictate this and I think people will actually have to put together sustained drives this year rather than depending on the quick strikes. We'll see as people get more accustomed to the pace and feel of the game.

Finally, I have always thought that the Madden games don't always show on the screen what the limitations of a player truly are in the sense that a poor coverage defender (perhaps an LB in a zone or a lineman in Goal line D) may look like he should make the play on a pass thrown his way, but his awareness and coverage are so low, he doesn't even lift his arms as the ball goes by. Frustrating to watch, but realistic in the outcome.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Matrix said:

Madden 05 was awesome !!!!!! Only year I made the playoffs.

LiveWire

DenogginizerOS said:
I like this year's Madden better than any of the previous of this generation by a long shot. Perhaps now that I have the gunslinger on my team, I am just feeling somewhat euphoric, but as someone who has oftentimes been insanely pissed off at a spiderman DB intercepting a pass that was going to a wide open receiver, I can't help but feel a whole lot better.

Also, running the ball is more realistic and breaking off big runs actually feels rewarding rather than lucky this year. You have to get your opponent off base as far as what defense they are using as well as playing towards your strengths without getting predictable. Playcalling and strategy seem to be a greater part of this year's version moreso than the more arcadey games of the past. The scores pretty much dictate this and I think people will actually have to put together sustained drives this year rather than depending on the quick strikes. We'll see as people get more accustomed to the pace and feel of the game.

Finally, I have always thought that the Madden games don't always show on the screen what the limitations of a player truly are in the sense that a poor coverage defender (perhaps an LB in a zone or a lineman in Goal line D) may look like he should make the play on a pass thrown his way, but his awareness and coverage are so low, he doesn't even lift his arms as the ball goes by. Frustrating to watch, but realistic in the outcome.

Exactly. From what I've played, I think this game is the best Madden I've played so far.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, if someone could give me the Formula for "OKRUNNOW" and the Code to make the field wider, I'd be much appreciated.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I played a game this morning as the Texans vs the Titans. It kinda "clicked" for me somewhat. I ran for 110 yards with 7-minute quarters. Of course I threw 3 INTs, but my running game was on point. This is after last night rushing for 80-something with James from the Cards. I think I just have to get used to the game. But I am liking the game alot more now.

I just have to figure out wtf was going on last night with the disconnections playing against Miguel and then I will be set.

gstaff

Ugh, the mrs. wanted to watch gymnicestics all night yesterday so I only got to play one practice game against the CPU last night. I then tried to bring it into the bedroom, but all the settings for the TV/receiver in the living room made it impossible to see anything.

I'll have to figure out something tonight, since the Olympics aren't going anywhere.

GQman2121

Banned
The classic Madden quirks are still there and the ratings on defense don't reflect what is shown on the field. CBs consistently turn the wrong way on out patterns and take themselves out of the action.

Also, the way run blocking works still seems completely random. Why does my tackle decide to let the DE in front of him go right by, but he jumps all over the ROLB behind him?

The shits been like this for years, and the more I play, the more the gameplay exposes it's self for what it really is.

LJ11

Game is love/hate with me right now.

Offensive lineman shouldn't always block perfectly, and defensive players shouldn't always make a play on the ball. That kind of randomness exists in football, and should be represented in the game.

However, I get pissed when someone runs the same exact curl route 3 times in a row, I've called the right play to stop it each and every time, and my defender still reacts too slow. Same thing holds true for crosses/slants. I've called a nice hook zone man combo, and the defender in the hook rubs off the the CB playing man, which leads to even more separation.

Man coverage should be difficult to play/run, but EA nerfed it a bit too much.

I like some of the randomness in running the ball, I've run into a few good runners online, but some LBs shed blockers way too easily. I've seen MLBs just chucking centers out of the way.

I will say that the players have a bit more weight on the defensive side of the ball, and I can switch to them much faster than I could in previous versions. Makes tackles in the open field and swats more enjoyable/easier.

LukeSmith

LJ11 said:
Game is love/hate with me right now.

Offensive lineman shouldn't always block perfectly, and defensive players shouldn't always make a play on the ball. That kind of randomness exists in football, and should be represented in the game.

However, I get pissed when someone runs the same exact curl route 3 times in a row, I've called the right play to stop it each and every time, and my defender still reacts too slow. Same thing holds true for crosses/slants. I've called a nice hook zone man combo, and the defender in the hook rubs off the the CB playing man, which leads to even more separation.

Man coverage should be difficult to play/run, but EA nerfed it a bit too much.

I like some of the randomness in running the ball, I've run into a few good runners online, but some LBs shed blockers way too easily. I've seen MLBs just chucking centers out of the way.

I will say that the players have a bit more weight on the defensive side of the ball, and I can switch to them much faster than I could in previous versions. Makes tackles in the open field and swats more enjoyable/easier.

I've seen folks line up in 3-3-5 against the run, have the linebackers drop into zone and then the D-line outplay the O-line despite the O-Line having a massive blocking advantage -- stuff like that is really frustrating.

Boutros-boutros and I played a game last night before it disconnected and it didn't feel as sluggish as when I played r0rs and Fifty earlier in the day.

DenogginizerOS

LukeSmith said:
I've seen folks line up in 3-3-5 against the run, have the linebackers drop into zone and then the D-line outplay the O-line despite the O-Line having a massive blocking advantage -- stuff like that is really frustrating.
I am working on defeating this very tactic in practice.

LJ11

LukeSmith said:

Boutros-boutros and I played a game last night before it disconnected and it didn't feel as sluggish as when I played r0rs and Fifty earlier in the day.

Yeah, that happens to me a lot.

I line up in 335 from time to time on 3rd and 5/6, protect against pass or possible run, and I've had guys run the ball for a first with McGahee and LT. One guy was pretty dominate with LT, and not because of missed/broken tackles, he just had holes.

Maybe it's the shitty Bills, maybe it's the shitty run game, maybe it's me, but running is hit or miss. In years past I would run on 3rd and 5, sneak a run and catch my opponent off guard. I don't really see myself doing that this year. It's tough, and pretty random.

Edit: In '06, players ran 335 exclusively to stop both pass/run but single back dives tore it up, was only really effective against two back sets. Worth a look.

DenogginizerOS

LJ11 said:
Edit: In '06, players ran 335 exclusively to stop both pass/run but single back dives tore it up, was only really effective against two back sets. Worth a look.
:D

This is what I am finding in practice as well. A long line of power against a thin front line works well.

DenogginizerOS

LukeSmith said:
I WILL DEFEAT YOUR TACTIC IN PRACTICE

i don't even know what that means
I am studying how the AI reacts to the 355. It is interesting to see how the AI O-Line reacts to the LBs as they move up to meet the runner. The tactic of using a 355 should never work against a Power-Line. Finding the key to defeating this is one of the things I am studying.

LukeSmith

DenogginizerOS said:
I am studying how the AI reacts to the 355. It is interesting to see how the AI O-Line reacts to the LBs as they move up to meet the runner. The tactic of using a 355 should never work against a Power-Line. Finding the key to defeating this is one of the things I am studying.

"power" is that the aggressive audible at the line?

DenogginizerOS

LukeSmith said:
"power" is that the aggressive audible at the line?
I am not exactly sure what that "aggresive" audible does. From what I can tell, it seems to keep the O-Line in more of uniform horseshoe rather than pursuing an invidual stunting lineman. However, blitzing LBs seem to filter right through with ease.

LiveWire

DenogginizerOS said:
I am not exactly sure to what that "aggresive" audible does. From what I can tell, it seems to keep the O-Line in more of uniform horseshoe rather than pursuing an invidual stunting lineman. However, blitzing LBs seem to filter right through with ease.

I thought "aggressive" was meant to be used for run blocking. For example, if you audibled from a passing play to a run play because you saw an advantageous matchup. I used it and it worked for me, but maybe I got lucky?

LJ11

I've used pinching down on inside runs, and it has worked from time to time. Not sure if it was the shift, or my line just doing what they're supposed to do.

I'll be on in a hour or so.

Top Bottom