• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Madden '11 Online Dynasty Thread: Ball & Juice edition

Somnia

Smokey and I will try again tonight. We had 2 disconnects and some weird shit happening. Once I get back from my movie we'll try hopefully.

what do you guys think about me coming up with a list of 1 offensive player and 1 defensive player that are basically untradeable per team, and then allowing trades beyond that?

i've rejected a few trades because i'm trying to keep away from these ridiculous fantasy teams being developed and shit that would never be considered in real life from happening. but i don't want to completely ruin the fun of trades.

give me some input bro's. am i being too tough on these trades? or do you like the lack of big trades?

eznark

Banned
I'm not pissed, so don't take this as a rant or anything, but I honestly don't see how I am supposed to make the Dolphins a better team if I can't trade pieces that I find superfluous. I play possession football and rely heavily on my pretty solid defense to keep me in games. Brandon Marshall is nice and all, but he doesn't fit my system and isn't anywhere near as helpful to me as a good free safety and an extra second round pick.

A rebuilding project is no fun if you steal my tools.

I generally target Marshall 4 or 5 times a game. When I play the 49er's be ready for streak-n-lob city.

Rorschach

How can we know if you're being tough? We don't know what's going on back stage. The only one I remember was the Favre/Palmer trade. These tend to happen when the owners have no loyalty to those teams. Obviously, Palmer is worth more than 1 year Favre, even though he's rated higher, but someone who doesn't give a shit about the Bungles doesn't care.

I feel that a bunch of guys are playing like it's only going to be one season and they don't understand that players progress and getting younger is a good thing.

IMO, I don't think this year should be huge for trades (huge mid-season trades are incredibly rare), but I'm not against them in the off-season. On the other hand, we might not get to the off-season 'till April WHEN WE VANCIN' DAMNIT!

[edit]Eznark: isn't Marshall a possession receiver?

DCX

DCX
FrenchMovieTheme said:
what do you guys think about me coming up with a list of 1 offensive player and 1 defensive player that are basically untradeable per team, and then allowing trades beyond that?

i've rejected a few trades because i'm trying to keep away from these ridiculous fantasy teams being developed and shit that would never be considered in real life from happening. but i don't want to completely ruin the fun of trades.

give me some input bro's. am i being too tough on these trades? or do you like the lack of big trades?
Love the idea. We did something similar in 2k with the league. I think you, the knights, should vote on who will be the un-tradables should be.

I'd vote not on rating becuase that isn't the true value of a player. Like for example, Atlanta's should be Ryan and Lofton. Ryan may not be the highest rated but the most valuable player on offense for my team same goes for Lofton, he is the anchor.

DCX

eznark

Banned
Marshall
4th Round

for

DeCoud
Jenkins
2nd Round

I use the Dolphins default offense which essentially turns him into a deep threat only. Great hands, but not useful. I've never used wide outs extensively and the first thing I do in any franchise is dump 90+ receivers.

If I'm stuck with him that's fine but that makes draft position much, much, much more important to me as it's the only way to build a team. I'd never throw games on purpose but incentives have a powerful influence on the subconscious.

Rorschach

eznark said:
Marshall
4th Round

for

DeCoud
Jenkins
2nd Round
That's a dumb trade.. how come the asking price was so high for me? I'd totally give you my 79 rated FS, some shitty WR, and a 2nd for Marshall. Bring up the paper work and I'll sign.

BigAT

FrenchMovieTheme said:

If it means not having to have trades approved as long as they don't include those 2 players, no. Retarded trades can still happen way too easily still.

eznark

Banned
Rorschach said:
That's a dumb trade.. how come the asking price was so high for me? I'd totally give you my 79 rated FS, some shitty WR, and a 2nd for Marshall. Bring up the paper work and I'll sign.

Huff is an old man with no room for improvement, DeCoud is a young buck! Low awareness is actually why I didn't want Huff. That and age. His rating is inflated by his speed.

DCX

DCX
eznark said:
I'm not pissed, so don't take this as a rant or anything, but I honestly don't see how I am supposed to make the Dolphins a better team if I can't trade pieces that I find superfluous. I play possession football and rely heavily on my pretty solid defense to keep me in games. Brandon Marshall is nice and all, but he doesn't fit my system and isn't anywhere near as helpful to me as a good free safety and an extra second round pick.

A rebuilding project is no fun if you steal my tools.

I generally target Marshall 4 or 5 times a game. When I play the 49er's be ready for streak-n-lob city.
I understand how you feel. I feel the same way. Although i will say in a system where one on o and d get deemed untouchable, Marshall might be that man. Unless they powers that be let us assign " franchise tags on our own based on our own feeling of who is valuable to us.

DCX

LiveWire

BREAKING NEWS - SPORTSCENTER 9PM EASTERN

---------------------------------------------------------

Impending trade to be announced between the St. Louis Rams and the Jacksonville Jaguars. Developing...

Rorschach

eznark said:
Huff is an old man with no room for improvement, DeCoud is a young buck! Low awareness is actually why I didn't want Huff. That and age. His rating is inflated by his speed.
He's very aware and he does improve because of his progression rating. :p

[edit] Oh and he's not old... the website is wrong on his age. Always use the console to check. He's a year younger!

Rorschach said:
How can we know if you're being tough? We don't know what's going on back stage. The only one I remember was the Favre/Palmer trade. These tend to happen when the owners have no loyalty to those teams. Obviously, Palmer is worth more than 1 year Favre, even though he's rated higher, but someone who doesn't give a shit about the Bungles doesn't care.

I feel that a bunch of guys are playing like it's only going to be one season and they don't understand that players progress and getting younger is a good thing.

IMO, I don't think this year should be huge for trades (huge mid-season trades are incredibly rare), but I'm not against them in the off-season. On the other hand, we might not get to the off-season 'till April WHEN WE VANCIN' DAMNIT!

usually if a trade is so ridiculously one sided or out there i will just give a no on it. if it's something borderline thats when i bring it up.

i'm just trying to prevent the ridiculousness of last season from happening: MJD on the colts, Djax on the broncos, michael turner on the chargers, etc etc etc etc.

if a guy is a franchise type player the odds are i wouldn't approve the trade. now if you wanted to trade brandon marshall for nnamdi or something would i deny it? i don't know if i would deny it straight up, but i would bring it up and see what people thought of it and make a decision.

if i had it exclusively my way i would ban in-season trading and just go with off-season, reasonable trades. you build through the draft! and there are plenty of good players there to help you immediately!

eznark

Banned
Rorschach said:
He's very aware and he does improve because of his progression rating. :p
You know what, I was trying to spare your players feelings, trying to be a nice guy but fuck Huff. The real reason I didn't want anything to do with him is because his Old Spice Swagger rating just is not up to par.

I know this is probably going to come off as sour grapes, but I think if we're picking and choosing which trades are "acceptable" based on wholly arbitrary standards then all trading should be off. We all value players differently because we all play different styles and have different strengths (or lesser weaknesses, in Bob's case). We want realistic football, let me be Josh McDaniels damn it! I must purge the locker room cancers!

I guess I could just cut him

Rorschach

FrenchMovieTheme said:
if a guy is a franchise type player the odds are i wouldn't approve the trade. now if you wanted to trade brandon marshall for nnamdi or something would i deny it? i don't know if i would deny it straight up, but i would bring it up and see what people thought of it and make a decision.
Wouldn't happen anyway since Nnamdi is worth 3 Marshalls. Everyone knows this.
eznark said:
You know what, I was trying to spare your players feelings, trying to be a nice guy but fuck Huff. The real reason I didn't want anything to do with him is because his Old Spice Swagger rating just is not up to par.
T_T How dare you?

LiveWire

He's got a good point. McNabb, LT, Jay Cutler, all bounced by their respective front offices through trades in the past two seasons, and all were considered franchise players, and all are still great starters (ok maaaybe not Cutler but he is 2-0!).

Rorschach

LiveWire said:
He's got a good point. McNabb, LT, Jay Cutler, all bounced by their respective front offices through trades in the past two seasons, and all were considered franchise players, and all are still great starters (ok maaaybe not Cutler but he is 2-0!).
LDT was over the hill. McRibb was fucking crazy, but his time was almost up. Cutler was due to poutyness. We don't have a pout rating yet. All of these were off-season, btw.

LT was cut not traded.

and i'm much more apt to allow trades for picks (as is the case with mcnabb and cutler) over superstar for superstar trades (the last i can remember was portis for bailey in like 2003 or whenever)

eznark

Banned
Whatever, I can't fight two battles at once and Hiawatha and his fuck-stick Iroquois are currently much more reasonable. I value gold, he values his life. Simple economics. Leave it to a Left Coaster to try and force his notions of value on the rest of us.

LiveWire

FrenchMovieTheme said:
LT was cut not traded.

and i'm much more apt to allow trades for picks (as is the case with mcnabb and cutler) over superstar for superstar trades (the last i can remember was portis for bailey in like 2003 or whenever)

Yea but the point is, real NFL teams make ridiculously poor judgment calls all the time in trades, whether it's for players or picks. Might as well let people go all out

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
LiveWire said:
Yea but the point is, real NFL teams make sometimes ridiculously poor judgment calls all the time in trades, whether it's for players or picks. Might as well let people go all out

nfl_ap_mcnabb_reid1_576.jpg

Rorschach

LiveWire said:
Yea but the point is, real NFL teams make sometimes ridiculously poor judgment calls all the time in trades, whether it's for players or picks. Might as well let people go all out
But what he just said refutes your point of "going all out." Trades for big time players are usually for picks and in the off-season.

LiveWire

Rorschach said:
But what he just said refutes your point of "going all out." Trades for big time players are usually for picks and in the off-season.

Well if Vincent Jackson gets traded tomorrow that's more ammo for the "no restrictions" argument. Some teams are win-now. If we had a competent free agency scheme in the game (or used your table/player scoring), there wouldn't be a need for as many trades.

CB3

LiveWire said:
Well if Vincent Jackson gets traded tomorrow that's more ammo for the "no restrictions" argument. Some teams are win-now. If we had a competent free agency scheme in the game (or used your table/player scoring), there wouldn't be a need for as many trades.

He is only being traded because of a contract situation. Its still out of the norm

LiveWire said:
Yea but the point is, real NFL teams make ridiculously poor judgment calls all the time in trades, whether it's for players or picks. Might as well let people go all out

but a lot of the trades being proposed would never happen simply due to the salary issues. that isn't an issue here. if salary wasn't an issue, LT would still be a charger. if jpout wasn't a pouter, he would still be a bronco. if brandon marshall wasn't a whiny bitch he would've never been traded.

and on and on. i put restrictions on trades because of all the complaints last year. it's one thing if someone is fucking themselves offer with a bad trade, but you are making another team stronger as well. how would you guys feel if i let rors trade ronlondo mcclain for tom brady, or calvin johnson, or alex smith. you wouldn't like it that a guy who is already a great player is getting one over on another team and basically the rest of the league

in other news, what is going on with these unplayed games? are you guys PM-ing each other or messaging on XBL? if you aren't getting a response in the thread you might need to take that extra step!

CB3

There needs to be restrictions. Maybe lesser ones on the teams with less stars (Rams, Browns)

DCX

DCX
CB3 said:
There needs to be restrictions. Maybe lesser ones on the teams with less stars (Rams, Browns)
They don't have many 90s, so what restrictions are you saying? They will also have a untouchable on O and D

DCX

DCX

DCX
Rors who would you deem untouchable on offense and on defense? One on each, lets see if it gels with what most of us think they should be.

DCX

eznark

Banned
I get what you're saying FMT, but you're already vetoing trades on a willy-nilly basis so vetoing trades that are absurd will be vetoed. I explained why I want to trade Marshall and that I feel it will make my chances to win games stronger. For what you consider borderline trades I think a discussion is fair. Killing it without finding out the reasons for the trade show the real reason for the quick veto; it hurts your chances to win the league. Oliver Stone is on the phone right now, Andy Dick is in contracts talks to play you.

eznark said:
I get what you're saying FMT, but you're already vetoing trades on a willy-nilly basis so vetoing trades that are absurd will be vetoed. I explained why I want to trade Marshall and that I feel it will make my chances to win games stronger. For what you consider borderline trades I think a discussion is fair. Killing it without finding out the reasons for the trade show the real reason for the quick veto; it hurts your chances to win the league. Oliver Stone is on the phone right now, Andy Dick is in contracts talks to play you.

well, propose a trade to me involving marshall and i will have it reviewed between the following people:

myself
cb3
dmczaf
rors
wellington
luke
bigAT

majority will go on a trade, even if i don't agree with it. that's how i've done it since last season, so that's how i'll do it again i guess, no matter how ridiculous i might personally consider a trade!

DCX

DCX
FrenchMovieTheme said:
well, propose a trade to me involving marshall and i will have it reviewed between the following people:

myself
cb3
dmczaf
rors
wellington
luke
bigAT

majority will go on a trade, even if i don't agree with it. that's how i've done it since last season, so that's how i'll do it again i guess, no matter how ridiculous i might personally consider a trade!
He already agreed in principle to a trade regarding Marshall so propose it to the Knights.

DCX

Rorschach

DCX said:
Rors who would you deem untouchable on offense and on defense? One on each, lets see if it gels with what most of us think they should be.

DCX
No one but Peyton Manning.

This isn't my plan. :lol My plan was having a cap to avoid all these things and having cap penalties on trades. Then, approval of stuff wouldn't even be necessary. You'd end up screwing yourself out of trade possibilities or even signing rookies if you messed up.

LiveWire

eznark said:
Killing it without finding out the reasons for the trade show the real reason for the quick veto; it hurts your chances to win the league.

Child please. FMT could give a shit less about your trades affecting his chances to win. It's the rest of the league who will whine about trades, and he doesn't want to hear people bitch and moan about it.

Top Bottom