• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 90% Players Can’t Run Final Fantasy 16 At 1080p 60 FPS

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Sucks for those people. Game is pretty mind blowing at 4K/DLAA/Ultra/100+ fps

Few of my shots:

54017224662_32f7695b22_o.png

54011419863_a2cfe79897_o.png

54009860024_1e32e5d8be_o.png

54006646807_22da4cdafe_o.png

54018350758_a6eece75a4_o.png

54006646827_d3d51a0ba8_o.png
I doubt the PS5 Pro will blow that out of the water.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Oh I know. Never said it could.

Just pointing out that when we see games underperforming on the PS5, I usually say something along the lines of, I have seen much better and taxing games than this running fine on the system, so the system doesn't need a better CPUY or GPu or whatever, the game just needs to be better optimized.

But our PCMR friends will dismiss talk like that because they can just brute force everything. But then when a game like this comes along and also runs like shit on the PC... all of a sudden, everyone seems to remember that games can be unoptimized.

Double standards don't you think?
Because everyone knows the double standards and hypocrisy only come from PC gamers…right.

Last edited:

akira__

Banned
I completed this game on PS5 with all the side quests and can tell you that it runs like shit. I was forced to use quality mode because of terrible framerate and IQ of performance mode and sadly, quality mode has places (entire areas) where framerate is below 30 and where resolution drops to 1080 (that looks really bad with FSR1).

And game drops to 720p in every fight in performance mode, you may not believe this but this is the truth.

Vast majority of console games don't allow you to do this. Motion blur yes, sometimes chromatic abberation but DOF switch is very rare.

They have problems since PS3 and never recovered.

LOL, DF said that maybe they will have to use PSSR to upscale from 720p to 1440p to achieve FPS closer to 60.

Rebirth is a PS4 game compared to XVI.
Why did you completely alter my post?
I didn't state it was running great, DF did. You fighting John, with your post not me.

It's important to read and understand the context. For some reason you removed DF and John quotes. Acted like they are my quotes, and removed what I said about the game. And attacked me on John statements which I don't agree with. Let us go back to that post.

From the article:

> John: " Final Fantasy 16 arrives in excellent condition and gives players exactly the experience the developers intended. It's one of the most polished games we've seen this year on a technical level, taking into account elements from visuals and audio to technology and performance. It's not quite flawless, but it's as close as we've seen for a long time - and that's worth celebrating"

Again from the article.

> " Final Fantasy 16 offers players the choice between quality and performance modes, with both using aggressive dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) and TAA to reduce shimmer and noise. Quality mode is typically 1080p to 1440p, upscaled to 4K, while performance mode seems to top out at 1080p but often drops lower"

Both quotes are from the article from DF. Not me. Now let us look at my opinion.

> side note: It's the only game that I played on graphics mode 30 fps instead of performance mode. This gen, So I wouldnt agree with John, the performance was lacking.

MarV0

Neo Member
They missed some GPU models the percentage is near 13%.

If we assume that Steam has 250m monthly users that's still more than 32m PC gamers which is way more than the PS5 Pro will sell in its lifetime.

PC gaming has ballooned way beyond console gaming to make any valid comparisons.

XXL

With medium texture? sure sure. /s
Why do you guys keep ignoring what I was responding to?

If a 4090 is 1080p 60fps at medium settings, my point is....the PS5 Pro will be better than that. Based on the upgrade FF7 Rebirth recieved.

I'm not sure how this is controversial.

I also said that the PC version could need to be patched or something.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
The game in question, FFXVI, still hasn't received any performance improvement patches on PS5. The Quality mode is still 30 FPS some drops and Performance mode is nowhere close to a locked 60, plus it needs to go down to FSR1 720P in battles and looks blurry as fuck.

I had to play in the 30fps mode cause at least it was mostly consistent, and at least they added a motion blur intensity slider post release, the default launch only option had notable ghosting in the 30fps mode.
nuclear explosion GIF

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Man, I’m happy that some of you will be happy with the PS5 Pro offerings, but I think the excitement has gone to your head and not thinking clearly.

Bojji

Why did you completely alter my post?
I didn't state it was running great, DF did. You fighting John, with your post not me.

It's important to read and understand the context. For some reason you removed DF and John quotes. Acted like they are my quotes, and removed what I said about the game. And attacked me on John statements which I don't agree with. Let us go back to that post.

From the article:

> John: " Final Fantasy 16 arrives in excellent condition and gives players exactly the experience the developers intended. It's one of the most polished games we've seen this year on a technical level, taking into account elements from visuals and audio to technology and performance. It's not quite flawless, but it's as close as we've seen for a long time - and that's worth celebrating"

Again from the article.

> " Final Fantasy 16 offers players the choice between quality and performance modes, with both using aggressive dynamic resolution scaling (DRS) and TAA to reduce shimmer and noise. Quality mode is typically 1080p to 1440p, upscaled to 4K, while performance mode seems to top out at 1080p but often drops lower"

Both quotes are from the article from DF. Not me. Now let us look at my opinion.

> side note: It's the only game that I played on graphics mode 30 fps instead of performance mode. This gen, So I wouldnt agree with John, the performance was lacking.

I have read your post. I removed parts of quote for it to be seen fully in my post (without need to expand).

You can see how game performs on their videos, I don't think it's important whatever they say. They also don't show areas that drop below 30fps in quality mode (late game).

XXL

Man, I’m happy that some of you will be happy with the PS5 Pro offerings, but I think the excitement has gone to your head and not thinking clearly.
Stop misrepresenting the context of what was said.

If I was responding to a comment if that comment is incorrect, than let me know.

XXL

In same areas of the game, maybe not. For the entire game? Yes. Very wrong.
Then it's all good.

My point is was making was the PS5 Pro will be better than 1080p 60fps at medium settings (as the comment suggested)....and I have no doubt it will be better than based on FF7 Rebirth.

The comment made it sounds like that's what it runs at on a 4090.

If that's incorrect than that's different.

XXL

it won't. it will at most reach around 850p at 60fps and then use PSSR to reconstruct from there
Sure, but I don't think it matters PC or on Console if the resolution is reconstructed or native as long as the image is clear. How they get there doesn't matter imo.

Last edited:

akira__

Banned
I have read your post. I removed parts of quote for it to be seen fully in my post (without need to expand).

You can see how game performs on their videos, I don't think it's important whatever they say. They also don't show areas that drop below 30fps in quality mode (late game).

Ah so it's not important what they say, only when you agree with it. Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind next time you stan for them.

But what I don't understand is why you are trying to pin me on their statements?

Myths

Didn’t realize just how much the PC base are using lower range cards. Had no problem hitting well over 100 otherwise myself

Bojji

Ah so it's not important what they say, only when you agree with it. Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind next time you stan for them.

But what I don't understand is why you are trying to pin me on their statements?

Why should I listen to what they say when you have framerate counter in the video?

Quoting what you posted:

There is nothing about performance here...

akira__

Banned
Why should I listen to what they say when you have framerate counter in the video

Quoting what you posted:

There is nothing about performance here..

This is what John said.

> It's one of the most polished games we've seen this year on a technical level, taking into account elements from visuals and audio to technology and performance.

Last edited:

Bojji

This is what John said.

> It's one of the most polished games we've seen this year on a technical level, taking into account elements from visuals and audio to technology and performance.

It reads like PR statement. They are too "kind" for most games to have good relationships with publishers, even if they suck on technical level.

This game is not polished when it comes to performance and image quality, you can see that in their videos about it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Sure, but I don't think it matters PC or on Console if the resolution is reconstructed or native as long as the image is clear. How they get there doesn't matter imo.
The base resolutions still matter for the final IQ. That is why there are DLSS quality, balance, performance and ultra performance.

Senua

Gold Member
Maybe it needs patches, that's possible.

But Ill tell you this.

If FF7 Rebirths upgrade is any indication of what we can expect for FF16s PS5 Pro update..

The PS5 Pro version of this game is going to blow the PC version out of the water.
I feel like i'm taking crazy pills reading this shite you people post

akira__

Banned
It reads like PR statement. They are too "kind" for most games to have good relationships with publishers, even if they suck on technical level.

This game is not polished when it comes to performance and image quality, you can see that in their videos about it.
Are you okay buddy?

You said it wasn't about performance, yet the quote was about performance.

And now you start accusing DF, and telling us how to interpret what they said. Bizar.

I'm not a fan of DF, and your weird as arguments makes it look like I am.

JimboJones

Yeah kinda weird thing to say when all we've seen of FF7 on PS5pro was literally a 60fps performance mode with better image quality thanks to Ai image upscaling.
That option can be configured on lots of PCs today.

sudolicious

I should have been more specific.

When was the last time any modern ff game like ff15 or hell even ff13 came to any nintendo system?

Switch cant handle ff16 and switch 2 neither

i know this is slightly off topic, but I wouldn't be surprised if switch 2 would integrate streaming options (like with kingdom hearts as I understand it) even further.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

1080p issues?

So if I'm reading this right 20% of GAF has a GPU that can run FF 16 at 1080p\60fps

kevboard

That is correct. but the source resolution can be important for some games.

Bojji

Are you okay buddy?

You said it wasn't about performance, yet the quote was about performance.

And now you start accusing DF, and telling us how to interpret what they said. Bizar.

I'm not a fan of DF, and your weird as arguments makes it look like I am.

??

You can see that performance is shit so why we are even talking about it?

bundylove

i know this is slightly off topic, but I wouldn't be surprised if switch 2 would integrate streaming options (like with kingdom hearts as I understand it) even further.
Based on todays files sizes that is an option for sure.
Many games already do that like resi series or hitman or all games that are a bit too much for it.

Not sure though how it works on the go without wifi

XXL

This has been addressed multiple times...

The comment I was responding to looks to have been incorrect. My comment was based on his information.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So if I'm reading this right 20% of GAF has a GPU that can run FF 16 at 1080p\60fps
If you are doing the math right 20% of those that posted in that thread can maybe maintain 60fps minimum at 1080p on higher settings.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If you are doing the math right 20% of those that posted in that thread can maybe maintain 60fps minimum at 1080p on higher settings.

Which is higher than the average, but not as high as some on GAF would have you believe.

Zacfoldor

Update: there actually IS frame gen with 3080 if you look into it and the steam deck is technically classified as a PC.

Funny I only ever hear about PCs that make consoles look like shit but when I built one it cost around 2000 dollars and is currently pretty shitty(5800x and 3080 shit card, basically a 2080TI with better RT and rasterization(or wtf ever).

Can't stand gaming on my PC, so I only use PS5, PC collects dust. PC can probably play most games better than PS5 but you know, my 3080 doesn't support any frame gen so it's pretty super shitty and basically useless and obsolete.

Glad to see us actually judging PCs as gaming devices properly instead of just using them as talismans to ward off the evil console makers.

One thing I heard lately that really tripped me up. In the other thread about steamdeck, there was a PC guy in there saying how the steamdeck totally changed their view of handheld PCs. That since they gamed on the deck, they were able to just forget about everything and game again(they didn't say this part, but as I've stated numerous times when you game on PC you are thinking about many things besides gaming, like performance, like mods, like "did that mod I installed cause the crash, better test" and other things about your big investment). With the deck they were able to just stop worrying about it, relax and play.

Well you know what? The steam deck is a CONSOLE! The reason you love it is because it has uniform hardware and support from valve. It isn't "yours" or something "you built" it is just a simple console that lets you play your games without worrying about ANYTHING. So why don't you PC gamers see that this also has benefits? Isn't it actually childish to worry so much about graphics to the point it creates a neurosis in yourself and you can't enjoy games, and more mature to prefer convenience and uniform hardware? That man in the other thread I mentioned could not enjoy gaming anymore until he swapped to a console. Think about that.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Funny I only ever hear about PCs that make consoles look like shit but when I built one it cost around 2000 dollars and is currently pretty shitty(5800x and 3080 shit card, basically a 2080TI with better RT and rasterization(or wtf ever).

Can't stand gaming on my PC, so I only use PS5, PC collects dust. PC can probably play most games better than PS5 but you know, my 3080 doesn't support any frame gen so it's pretty super shitty and basically useless and obsolete.

Glad to see us actually judging PCs as gaming devices properly instead of just using them as talismans to ward off the evil console makers.

One thing I heard lately that really tripped me up. In the other thread about steamdeck, there was a PC guy in there saying how the steamdeck totally changed their view of handheld PCs. That since they gamed on the deck, they were able to just forget about everything and game again(they didn't say this part, but as I've stated numerous times when you game on PC you are thinking about many things besides gaming, like performance, like mods, like "did that mod I installed cause the crash, better test" and other things about your big investment). With the deck they were able to just stop worrying about it, relax and play.

Well you know what? The steam deck is a CONSOLE! The reason you love it is because it has uniform hardware and support from valve. It isn't "yours" or something "you built" it is just a simple console that lets you play your games without worrying about ANYTHING. So why don't you PC gamers see that this also has benefits? Isn't it actually childish to worry so much about graphics to the point it creates a neurosis in yourself and you can't enjoy games, and more mature to prefer convenience and uniform hardware? That man in the other thread I mentioned could not enjoy gaming anymore until he swapped to a console. Think about that.
You should be ashamed of yourself for writing so much incorrect information so confidently.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just a reminder ... that is 90% Of steam users. anyone person with a $200 Best Buy laptop can have a steam account to play games. Percentages are a crap measurement.

Top Bottom