• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 90% Players Can’t Run Final Fantasy 16 At 1080p 60 FPS

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
spent 1500 U.S. on his setup and its not Even the half of what top noch PCs can run
Mind posting the specs? My PC cost more or less the same and I can play everything.

Or do you mean "half of what top noch PCs can run at maxed out details, 4K and RT"?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Developers care.

You think that the infamous Witcher 3 downgrade happened solely because of console peasants?
Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

Fbh

FFXVI is one of the prime examples of diminishing returns for me.
The cutscenes are nice and a few locations look good but overall it seems incredibly demanding for a game that didn't impress me visually outside of cutscenes.

It doesn't help that the world feels straight out of the PS3 era, not graphically but in design. The open areas feel static, empty and lifeless with just small groups of enemies waking around, cities are only explored through cutscene and linear story missions while during regular gameplay you only go to small towns with relatively few NPCs, there are no interesting traversal options and dungeons are basically corridors connecting combat arenas.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So you have to own a PC that’s powerful, in order to talk about powerful PC’s being better than consoles?

Well shit, I guess people that don’t own sports cars can’t say that a Lamborghini is faster than my Malibu.

It'll be nice! Otherwise why the heck should it matter to the discussion being had in console gaming threads?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It'll be nice! Otherwise why the heck should it matter to the discussion being had in console gaming threads?
Which is more than the percentage of PC users on Steam using a 4070 and above.
93gdq7.jpg

Like I said a warzone.
the office gun GIF
Are those PC users here at Gaf, where the discussions are happening?

So I can say that FF7Rebirth will forever be a blurry mess, because I won’t be getting a PS5 Pro.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Same. Tons of people are going to get banned. Lol.
Not who you think. Especially when actual PC players here on gaf show what their rigs can do. Some in this thread showed what their rig makes this game look like, and I doubt the PS5 Pro version comes close.

But I also think some of you are forgetting why PC gaming is great. It can play the Sony games, Xbox games and even better versions of Nintendo games. Not to mention the emulation and vast superior access to VR game catalogs.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I skipped this game, initial impressions were great, but when I saw it was not really traditional FF, I dropped interest. And now 1080p issues on the PC......ya im out.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'd be curious how many PC gamers here have a 4070 or better GPU.
I do. :messenger_sunglasses:

We did a poll not long ago asking about people's GPUs. Doesn't ask about model but about VRAM but still, you can get an idea:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Last edited:

Chris23

Shouldn't the discussion be more about how a 4090 can only manage slightly above 60 fps at 1080 medium settings, almost as if there something isn't right and patches are required.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Shouldn't the discussion be more about how a 4090 can only manage slightly above 60 fps at 1080 medium settings, almost as if there something isn't right and patches are required.
106 is a lot more than slightly above 60, but yes, the game seems unreasonably demanding.

TintoConCasera

For some reason, japanese devs seem to have a harder time optimizing their games properly, be it for consoles or PC, when compared to western devs.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This might be the biggest case of moving the goal post I've ever seen.
QPmeD7.gif

The comparisons are about different platforms, not who is watching them.
I haven’t moved a thing. Some of you are acting like the majority of people that PC game here belong in that disingenuous 90% that this thread is about.

That’s like me saying any improvements made by the Pro are hardly noticed because 95% of PS5 owners are on a base PS5.

Chris23

106 is a lot more than slightly above 60, but yes, the game seems unreasonably demanding.
Oh i meant to say 4070, but the point still stands. Lets see the benchmarks in a month or so with updated drivers to and patching to get a real idea of performance.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Less sexy click bait. The story should be about poor optimization, not PC strength.

JayK47

So what. Not everyone is a 60 fps absolutist. Most of my games drop below 60 fps. I limit my fps to 60. It this runs at 30 or more, I am fine with that.

XXL

Maybe it needs patches, that's possible.

But Ill tell you this.

If FF7 Rebirths upgrade is any indication of what we can expect for FF16s PS5 Pro update..

The PS5 Pro version of this game is going to blow the PC version out of the water.

Kacho

Gold Member
For some reason, japanese devs seem to have a harder time optimizing their games properly, be it for consoles or PC, when compared to western devs.
Never forget

Bojji

Just because it can happen under certain conditions with performance mode doesn't mean indicative of normal behavior.

Yet there is group of posters making it seem as if the game is running horrendously on the base ps5.

side note: It's the only game that I played on graphics mode 30 fps instead of performance mode this gen. So I wouldnt agree with John, the performance was lacking.

I completed this game on PS5 with all the side quests and can tell you that it runs like shit. I was forced to use quality mode because of terrible framerate and IQ of performance mode and sadly, quality mode has places (entire areas) where framerate is below 30 and where resolution drops to 1080 (that looks really bad with FSR1).

And game drops to 720p in every fight in performance mode, you may not believe this but this is the truth.

Seems like most console games let you turn that off. Like motion blur.

Vast majority of console games don't allow you to do this. Motion blur yes, sometimes chromatic abberation but DOF switch is very rare.

If this thread is any indication...PS5 Pro vs PC comparison threads are going to be a fucking warzone. Lol.

giphy.gif

They have problems since PS3 and never recovered.

But Ill tell you this.

If FF7 Rebirths upgrade is any indication of what we can expect for FF16s PS5 Pro update..

The PS5 Pro version of this game is going to blow the PC version out of the water.

LOL, DF said that maybe they will have to use PSSR to upscale from 720p to 1440p to achieve FPS closer to 60.

Rebirth is a PS4 game compared to XVI.

Last edited:

Chris23

Less sexy click bait. The story should be about poor optimization, not PC strength.
A tale as old as time, this is common on PC from experience. The games are patched over time but the higher end cards can usually brute force on day 1.

But Ill tell you this.

I can't think of a time when a console version of a game has "blown the PC version out of the water", it's usually the complete opposite. I'm sure there's a few examples but it won't be the norm.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

PC version(s) scale with hardware, anyone playing on a 4090 will probably have a better experience than any console version, while anyone on a 1060 laptop like me is probably gonna have a worse experience than even the base PS5.

Kind of a nutty sweeping statement you're making here.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
PC version(s) scale with hardware, anyone playing on a 4090 will probably have a better experience than any console version, while anyone on a 1060 laptop like me is probably gonna have a worse experience than even the base PS5.

And he’s expecting PC users to get banned for stupid comments.

XXL

This is what I was replying to.
If this is correct....I expect the PS5 Pro version to be better than that after seeing the upgrade FF7 Rebirth got.

That's all I'm saying. I also said its possible the PC version needs to be patched/fixed.

Basically the PS5 Pro version will look better than 1080p 60fps at medium settings imo.

adamsapple

This is what I was replying to.

If this is correct....I expect the PS5 Pro version to be better than that after seeing the upgrade FF7 Rebirth got.

That's all I'm saying. I also said its possible the PC version needs to be patched/fixed.

Basically the PS5 Pro version will look better than 1080p 60fps at medium settings imo.

It's not just that something like PSSR is a magic bullet, it's often the case that these big console-first studios are kinda shit at porting to PC and need month(s) of patches to get the game stable.

See Sony's own ND and their PC effort for TloU Part 1. It was a horrendous port.

kevboard

This is ps5 quality mode equivalent? Because holy shit this scene looks much better on PS5.

Texture resolution, volumetric clouds, foliage density, shadows, and geometric complexity are all vastly superior on PS5 in these shots.

Too bad there isn't a way to turn "fun" past mid.

the issue with some settings on PC is that for draw distance and for I think shadows, the PS5 version uses a mix of low, medium, and high in one setting.

so for the draw distance the PS5 will have the low setting for very distant detail, medium for the mid distance detail and high for the near distance detail.

similarly for shadows, where near shadows are high quality, but far away shadows are low quality.

in these cases I chose medium, although high didn't meaningfully change performance thanks to the dynamic resolution DLSS setting.

but I thought it was the fairest comparison when comparing performance and image quality as they should roughly even out.
and I got a nearly locked 60fps during traversal and combat vs the highly unstable framerate that regularly dips below 48fps on PS5.

just showcasing that even my rusty old, soon to be replaced 3060ti can deliver a superior experience than PS5, as many in this thread (edit: see 1 post below lol) seem to think it's hard to match PS5 here on PC, or that the PC port is bad for some reason when in reality the game is simply extremely demanding on both systems

Last edited:

adamsapple

This is why consoles are Superior, and games are better optimized when the hardware is similiar for everyone .

swag-nope.gif

The game in question, FFXVI, still hasn't received any performance improvement patches on PS5. The Quality mode is still 30 FPS some drops and Performance mode is nowhere close to a locked 60, plus it needs to go down to FSR1 720P in battles and looks blurry as fuck.

I had to play in the 30fps mode cause at least it was mostly consistent, and at least they added a motion blur intensity slider post release, the default launch only option had notable ghosting in the 30fps mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom