• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally a game is pretty well balanced when people are complaining that just about everyone on the roster needs a nerf.

It's tough making everyone feel OP in their own way, which is exactly what you should be going for.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I also do. So many clueless players complained about him instead of learning (complaining is easier) that Blizzard nerfed him. Sad.

but the nerf he got WAS needed (I assume you mean in beta). That character should NOT have a shield, come on

maxresdefault.jpg

Just took a Winston down with me in the Ilios well using the hookshot. Man did that make my day.

you can hook people down the well if you do it from the other side. Ive had it done to me :(

speaking of getting used to stuff, people (including me) are getting much better at avoiding Hanzo's ult. Still a great ult if only to cause disruption tho, but I barely saw any of the 3-4 kills with it I saw in the first few days

edit: oh and btw, im nothing if not honest, and you guys were right, Zarya's alt DOES dmg her, but you need to really be pointing down at her feet almost for it to hurt you. if you point it down a bit away from you (which is what I do for those pesky Tracers and Genjis) it doesnt hurt you
The only time Hanzo kills you is if you literally can't sidestep. That's all it takes. :p

I've now mastered D.va and Pharah.

Need a new character to master. Thinking maybe Junkrat..? I like the look of him, can someone give me a rundown of what his role in the game is/how to play him?

Short version: Blow. Shit. Up.

Long version:

• Your grenades are great for area denial, and poking at stationary players. Up close, impacting players will instantly detonate the grenade (watch out for self-damage). Great for messing with Bastion and Torbjorn's turrets (to which Junkrat is a hard counter)
  • Your jump pad, or whatever you want to call it, can be used for mobility. Get the high ground and raise hell, and don't forget that you can use it to send particularly irritating enemies flying away from you if you can't deal with them.
  • Set your beartrap around corners, so enemies can't anticipate it. Once you're notified they've hit it (you hear a clanging noise and see their location on your UI), fill 'em up with nades.
  • Your ult can climb walls (hold jump). I use this to get around snipers who think their perches are perfect, easily-defensible locations. They're not.

Perhaps most crucially:

IF YOU DIE WHILE YOUR ULT IS ACTIVE, YOU CAN CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT AROUND

abundant

Need a new character to master. Thinking maybe Junkrat..? I like the look of him, can someone give me a rundown of what his role in the game is/how to play him?

Either spam his grenade launcher to make it harder for the Attacking Team to advance or when you get use to aiming with him, flank the team and take them by surprise.

Also be creative with his Rip Tire (ult). A frontal attack will almost always result in them destroying it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

He's really easy to play really, you mostly just spam grenades through chokepoints and make it hell for the other team to get through. You can jump super high with his mine detonation to get up on good perches overlooking spots, and his trap can either defend his spot or be placed in areas flankers might use. His ult is super powerful, and something good to know is you can actually jump with the tire and even climb up walls like hanzo/genji to drop it down on people.

Plus you can do stupid stuff like place a trap right outside the spawn door with a mine next to it to try and blow people off the map.

I was wrong about Winston. He can be pretty damn scary in the hands of the right man. He's one hell of a distraction on levels where you're both fighting for the same territory. I just wish you could switch between using the gun and using fists, much like Mercy can switch between two weapons.

I was wrong about Winston. He can be pretty damn scary in the hands of the right man. He's one hell of a distraction on levels where you're both fighting for the same territory. I just wish you could switch between using the gun and using fists, much like Mercy can switch between two weapons.
His ult is great for trying to take a healer away from the team too. I've also used it for knocking the Reinhardt away so he can't shield them. He's a really good defensive tank and I love him, currently my most played character.

Man my luck with Loot boxes is terrible.
Level 22 and only 1 legendary skin (Sparrow genji). Carbon fibre Genji is the best though so i dont use it

SiDCrAzY

Been playing since launch, haven't put a ton of hours, but I'm having a lot of fun. I wish I was a bit better though, so far I'm somewhat decent with Soldier 76 and healing with Lucio. Also wish some of my teammates were better or played smarter at least.

If anybody wants to add me on PSN: SiDCrAzYY

My usual frugal resistance to buying new games is failing me; pretty sure I'm gonna break down and buy this game by the end of the weekend (if I even make it that long). So here's the question: the $40 base game vs the $60 Origins Edition. Does the Origins Edition give any gameplay improvements, or is it just goodies like the WoW pet? I'd rather save $20 if it won't leave me missing anything major.

Warewolf

I wish Zarya's beam locked on like Symmetra's does, but that would be too OP I guess. Its so hard to hit smaller guys with it, I just end up lobbing grenaes most of the time

I just found out today, in this thread, that her energy level effects the aoe radius of her secondary attack.

I'm jonesing to play a few rounds with her tonight to see what that looks like, never tried to use it as an area attack, just a bit of splash damage around corners or at distance.

My usual frugal resistance to buying new games is failing me; pretty sure I'm gonna break down and buy this game by the end of the weekend (if I even make it that long). So here's the question: the $40 base game vs the $60 Origins Edition. Does the Origins Edition give any gameplay improvements, or is it just goodies like the WoW pet? I'd rather save $20 if it won't leave me missing anything major.

Origins edition is just cosmetic stuff. There are no items in this game that affect gameplay.

Warewolf

Just skins and the Blizzard catalogue bonuses, skip it and save the $20 you'll get more than $40 out of the game, if value is what you're looking for I can't think of anything that beats it this year.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you want to take junkrat to higher skill level you need to get good at landing direct hits at medium range as they do stupid amounts of damage, then obviously getting good at arcing the bombs (weird weird fallrate imo). So much different than Demoman pipes, they juts kinda fall super fast after a point.
The only time Hanzo kills you is if you literally can't sidestep. That's all it takes. :p
I've taken 180 damage when it was below the floor so I didn't know where it was. AWESOME.
Guide me plz
I suck at being even remotely aggressive so I need all the advice I can get
idk im a skilless Pharah. I just spam rockets at big targets and remove all their armor for my team. Don't fly too high or usually a Soldier or McCree or Widow will have enough time to shoot you. If you are being shot at in the air just use your E on a wall to remove their LoS and get down faster. Use E to cross sniper gaps as well.
Main job is spamming chokes and tanks and forcing Rein to shield early to delay his movement (and thus team) to an objective. Since Rockets are 120 with no damage falloff they're incredibly effective against tanks and armor shredding. Movement for everyone except Genji is incredibly predictable from mid range if you have some slight height.

http://i.imgur.com/aUXhBms.png
Pocketed like a scrub, but I am proud of time on fire
Do people hate the Anubis map? They all keep leaving it
Hate it. Dustbowl of Overwatch.

I am havin so much fun right now with this game. Added a lot of you guys on PC (EU only). Add me back!

ROFL, I was in a team where we had 4 Torbjorns and 2 Bastions defending a point
We crushed them XD

I just had a round where we were up against 6 Thorbjörns. No need to mention that we lost.

Origins edition is just cosmetic stuff. There are no items in this game that affect gameplay.

Just skins and the Blizzard catalogue bonuses, skip it and save the $20 you'll get more than $40 out of the game, if value is what you're looking for I can't think of anything that beats it this year.

Thanks fam. Value is very important to me, but I wasn't too worried about that. Blizzard is good at supporting their games, if Diablo 3 is any indication (it's currently better than ever). This game is giving me some serious TF2 vibes, and TF2 was my favorite FPS of the generation.

pigeon

Banned
Torbjorn turret needs a nerf. end of story.

bastions can be dealt with, but when they set up an automatic turret like this in a corner of a map for a capture point... the entire game revolves around it.

even with a good team it becomes such a pain. it's the vocal point of the match when it shouldn't be. the turrets should be there to assist, not become the center of attention.

i keep getting better at the game, climbing in level, and yet the problem remains.

Play a tank.

16BitNova

Thanks fam. Value is very important to me, but I wasn't too worried about that. Blizzard is good at supporting their games, if Diablo 3 is any indication (it's currently better than ever). This game is giving me some serious TF2 vibes, and TF2 was my favorite FPS of the generation.

You're going to love this game.

Onemic

Omg mei is absolutely unstoppable in arcade. If your team has her on defense for payload you can't lose. She can just ice shield and then ice wall as soon as her shield wears off. Since you can't move the payload if there's an enemy near it, you can just spam her abilities and let your team kill or slow the enemy team down until they run out of time

Anubis can be really annoying for the attacking team because there is only the huge gate in the beginning and no alternative route to get beyond the wall. That makes it pretty easy to defend.

Two Words

Omg mei is absolutely unstoppable in arcade. If your team has her on defense for payload you can't lose. She can just ice shield and then ice wall as soon as her shield wears off. Since you can't move the payload if there's an enemy near it, you can just spam her abilities and let your team kill or slow the enemy team down until they run out of time

I feel like she shouldn't be preventing the offense while she is in her ice shield. It's analogous to how a spy cant stop the offense while invisible/disguised.

abundant

Had a wild Arcade game where there was three Meis on the capture point. Ice Walls everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom