• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

Spent most of his time talking about the game's price and microtransactions.

I really don't get why some people are super hot and bothered about them. Literally everything is cosmetic, there's no advantages to having any of it.

Can't let it slide. Battle 'til the end. It's one thing in a f2p, but a $60 game... It's an argument of content and completely justifiable complaint in a $60 game.

Some people have adopted Microtransactions as a norm of the industry, but many still consider it a push by publishers and should be met with opposition.

DeSo

Banned
Zarya is so fun to play, you really have pick your time for her barrier abilities but when you get it right, oh boy.

Spent most of his time talking about the game's price and microtransactions.

I really don't get why some people are super hot and bothered about them. Literally everything is cosmetic, there's no advantages to having any of it.

He talked about it for about 4 minutes tops in an almost 15 minute video......

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Don't know if this has been said here, but it looks like McCree is getting a nerf, almost certain he will at this point.

Geoff Goodman said:
I've been watching McCree carefully since we've released. McCree's flashbang plays an important role in being a strong option against very fast/agile teams (tracers/genjis/etc). It is also a nice tool to prevent close range devastating abilities and ultimates such as Reaper's Death Blossom,” Goodman wrote on the Battle.net forums. “That said, its probably a bit too good at dealing damage to higher health targets such as Tanks and barriers. I don't have any concrete changes yet, but I'm going to be testing some things internally to see how he plays.”

http://www.pcgamer.com/it-sounds-like-overwatchs-mccree-is-going-to-get-nerfed/

D.va is life. Just moving around the map in that mech is a blast, then her plasma pistol out of it is amazing, and the defense matrix shutting down ults. Man, I never expected to love playing as her so much.

MartyStu

Just had my first Symmetra fight and did all the BS I have seem Symmetras do to me in the past.

It. Was. AWESOME.

I may be in love.

packy34

Can't wait for the tracer + genji strats after the mccree nerf. You all asked for this. Accept your dark future.

Just had my first Symmetra fight and did all the BS I have seem Symmetras do to me in the past.

It. Was. AWESOME.

I may be in love.

Putting little turrets everywhere and above people's heads is hilarious.

I went on a 20+ killstreak with my turrets alone (not including my gun).

SUPER satisfying.

jediyoshi

Can't let it slide. Battle 'til the end. It's one thing in a f2p, but a $60 game... It's an argument of content and completely justifiable complaint in a $60 game.

Some people have adopted Microtransactions as a norm of the industry, but many still consider it a push by publishers and should be met with opposition.

You can't simultaneously attempt to make an argument and then say you're going to be fighting it by virtue of it being there at all.

eek5

I'm constantly seeing people 'fill' support with Zenyatta and just like, god. Please. Don't. I love Zenyatta, but stop.

The problem is if they waited for a real healer to be filled to select Zenyatta they'd never be able to play Zenyatta :lol

Moonlight

Banned
I saw a pretty slick PotG with Mei earlier. She tossed her ultimate into a room full of dudes, walled the entrance off and picked them off once the effect finished.

Can't wait for the tracer + genji strats after the mccree nerf. You all asked for this. Accept your dark future.
You can nerf McCree without disrupting his ability to destroy flankers!

peakish

The problem is if they waited for a real healer to be filled to select Zenyatta they'd never be able to play Zenyatta :lol
Yeah. If I see someone pick Zenyatta (or Symmetra) I applaud their desire and immediately switch to Lucio or Mercy to make room for them.

I also upvote any Zenyatta post game card. These people deserve our support!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I had a Mei POTG where it was her missing 2 shots at a Pharah using ultra and finally killing her with the third.

Blizzard probably picked that so everyone could make fun of that guy's aim.

MartyStu

Putting little turrets everywhere and above people's heads is hilarious.

I went on a 20+ killstreak with my turrets alone (not including my gun).

SUPER satisfying.

Yup.

I also did not consider their application as sensors. Or how awesome slapping shields onto all my teammates is.

meanspartan

I will take the trade off for this kind of microtrans in exchange for free DLC any day.

I will say that bad Meis really are substantially worse than other characters because the wall blocks everything, so if it's placed badly it causes a lot of problems and can get you killed. Smart wall placement makes all the difference, along with using your ult wisely (i.e. not on one guy because you get surprised) and icicle marksmanship.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Two changes I would like for D.VA: a little more health and the possibility to leave my mecha whenever I like.

Also I want a macro for Mei. Every time I build an Ice Wall I want to write in the game chat "the enemy team is going to pay for it" ._.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies

It. Was. AWESOME.

I may be in love.

I'm a pretty low-skill FPS player (it's taken me a decade but I'm finally willing to admit it) and I'm becoming very close to locking in Symmetra as my main.

I love how useful I can be with her. And not in an "aww you're helping! good job!" way but more in a "Without my death lasers, teleport, and last-minute beam saves you fuckers would be LOST" sorta way.

The lasers are an art form, man. Put them in bushes. On ceilings. Above the enemy spawn exit. ON THE PAYLOAD. Put one in a closet you don't even think anyone will walk into because you want the enemy team to believe that those little fuckers are everywhere..

Xater

I was fighting that fight years ago. Now they are everywhere and it's way too late to complain now. That fight has been lost a while ago.

I mostly care about what the implementation is these days. Just cosmetics as in Overwatch with it basically paying for future content is fine.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
So far the community has been pretty good, great, even. Too bad Hobojoe decided to try and ruin that (Xavipants is me)

Cj2XAaLWkAQXNGC.jpg:large

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Ugh. McCree does not need a nerf. He is a damage dealer, he should ne on the frontlines killin fools. Roadhogs should be afraid of hooking him. If they nerf him so he cant take out tanks, he will be near useless.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I was fighting that fight years ago. Now they are everywhere and it's way too late to complain now. That fight has been lost a while ago.
I don't think overwatch is the game you should try to fight that fight. The system is just really fair imho. Only cosmetics and you get a loot boxe every level
but honestly they could give you 4 boxes every 10 levels or include dailies.
and for that we get every DLC for free.

Xeteh

Seems like a strange issue to get up in arms about.

Moonlight

Banned
The lasers are an art form, man. Put them in bushes. On ceilings. Above the enemy spawn exit. ON THE PAYLOAD. Put one in a closet you don't even think anyone will walk into because you want the enemy team to believe that those little fuckers are everywhere.
I'm bad at Symmetra, but one thing I've always thought about is placing her turrets inside med pack pick-up rooms to see how many gassed Genjis or McCrees you could snipe.

Ugh. McCree does not need a nerf. He is a damage dealer, he should ne on the frontlines killin fools. Roadhogs should be afraid of hooking him. If they nerf him so he cant take out tanks, he will be near useless.
If you want an offensive character that can melt tanks, you could play Tracer or Pharah. McCree's job isn't supposed to be melting tanks. It's supposed to be melting flankers.

NeoN1

Neo Member
Gotta love it when people deflect.
pchs9gq.jpg

Funny part is I was playing Reinhardt. I was doing pretty good keeping the point. Shame we had no healer.

Exactly this happened to me. I usually wait for people to pick their characters so I can fill in with what is needed.

So I wait, and obviously no one picks tank/healer, so I pick a Reinhardt. We are so in need of a healer mid game, so I tell people to please pick a healer and I get the "OMG YOU PICK IT YOU DAMN PRICK".

Dude, I'm already the tank, I can't be two roles at a time so you can continue to suck with your Hanzo...

m4st4

60$ game that will easily give me 100+... 200+ hours of game time. Single tear sliding down my cheek.

ExVicis

So far the community has been pretty good, great, even. Too bad Hobojoe decided to try and ruin that (Xavipants is me)

Cj2XAaLWkAQXNGC.jpg:large

Hope you reported him. I know I did in a similar situation where someone started swearing at and calling me racial slurs me for shooting the bells at Dorado. Really hate when someone randomly decides to be a toxic person and just ruin the game with harassment like that.

I'm a pretty low-skill FPS player (it's taken me a decade but I'm finally willing to admit it) and I'm becoming very close to locking in Symmetra as my main.

I love how useful I can be with her. And not in an "aww you're helping! good job!" way but more in a "Without my death lasers, teleport, and last-minute beam saves you fuckers would be LOST" sorta way.

The lasers are an art form, man. Put them in bushes. On ceilings. Above the enemy spawn exit. ON THE PAYLOAD. Put one in a closet you don't even think anyone will walk into because you want the enemy team to believe that those little fuckers are everywhere..

This is a poster of taste and distinction.

Welcome to our reality .

packy34

I simply fail to see the issue with this method of post-launch monetization. It doesn't fracture the player base, it doesn't provide extra power to people who pay, you can unlock all the skins you want through gameplay, etc. "It shouldn't be here because it's a full priced AAA game" is such a weak argument IMO. You got the entire game you payed for. Spending more money doesn't give you anything you didn't already have access to.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm bad at Symmetra, but one thing I've always thought about is placing her turrets inside med pack pick-up rooms to see how many gassed Genjis or McCrees you could snipe.

The answer is all of them. You get ALL THE KILLS.

Seriously, if you're smart with Symmetra's turrets it can feel like there's 20 of them on the map for the other team. I usually place 4-5 way up front that enemies will encounter in their first wave. I'm not trying to keep them up or replace them when they go down - if they drop I'm placing more farther back.

So the feeling is that there are no free rooms or free staircases. People won't get how they encountered so many turrets way up front and so many farther back.

Moonlight

Banned
I hope one of the characters Blizzard adds one day staples healing and tanking together so we can stop thinking about these dilemmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom