• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I think he was one of the people in this match.

Did you have a Sym on your team that lost you a match or something

I'll quote my last post on the last page for the both of you.

That's the thing, I've met great Symmetras who've even gotten play of the game in a rare moment. I'm arguing that people only choose her because of her ult, not because she is the best at 'X'. That is the problem. She should be better at one of her regular skills. If there were a tier list right now, McCree would be near the top and Symmetra near the bottom.

I have nothing against the character, I don't hate her, she didn't spit in my cereal or kill my whole team. I actually like her. But you have to face the facts that because she is built around her ult, and she isn't that great of a character. There are weak and strong characters in every game and unfortunately she is on the weaker side. I'm looking forward knowing that she needs a buff, but you guys probably won't see what I see until months from now when everyone else that's new to the game gets really good at countering her.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I really feel she's only useful when her teleport is up, with it down she's useless compared to the other defenders/support. I'd change her to defense and rework her personally.

xinek

Downloading this game now -- do people mostly play together on PS4 by finding each other on the community? I just joined it, also added myself to the spreadsheet. Hope you're all noob friendly. I usually take a while to join groups, and I don't usually talk on the mic until I know people (grill here), so sorry about that in advance. Seems like I'll have to get over it for a team oriented game like this tho. ^^

ncslamm

Got a 62.5% winrate as of now and a 90% winrate as Zarya. I have pretty much put all of my time into Zarya, Lucio, and Junkrat with a little bit of Pharah thrown in. I was doing so well earlier as Lucio that I got 4 friend requests after a game. Loving this game!

Salarians

I should stop trophy hunting. Causin losses :p
The "get four kills with this ult" are the worst. I mean, I know I'll probably get most of them eventually, but getting a triple kill with the fourth person getting out of the way last second is such a bittersweet feeling.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's the thing, I've met great Symmetras who've even gotten play of the game in a rare moment. I'm arguing that people only choose her because of her ult, not because she is the best at 'X'. That is the problem. She should be better at one of her regular skills. If there were a tier list right now, McCree would be near the top and Symmetra near the bottom.

Dude you asked "what does Symmetra bring besides her ulti" and I answered :)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I didn't use her ULT for the first few days because I thought "Why the hell would I want a teleportor back to the hero room?"

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You could say that about literally any character though. People thought Bastion was broken just a few weeks ago.

Yup, just like people thought turrets were OP around here and... oh wait :/

KarmaCow

The "get four kills with this ult" are the worst. I mean, I know I'll probably get most of them eventually, but getting a triple kill with the fourth person getting out of the way last second is such a bittersweet feeling.

I'm actually worried that I'll never those achievements with characters like D Va or Hanzo because most people have already learned how to completely avoid them. The only hope now is comboing with a Zarya and no one else kill them before the ult goes off.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You could say that about literally any character though. People thought Bastion was broken just a few weeks ago.

The Bastion comparison is actually a really good point in how things change over time when you learn a character's weaknesses. This is bringing me back to the days when certain people fought tooth and nail claiming Ike was top tier in Smash Bros. Eventually you just have to let time and tournaments prove it isn't the case.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Try to place turrets in places that don't see a lot of fire, or behind walls.

King's Row: On either side of the gateway between the statue and Attack spawn. Place them far enough from the entrance so Pharah/Junkrat's bombs don't kill them instantly, but close enough to hit whoever runs through

Numbani: Symmetra's not great on Numbani because of the wide, open spaces. There are two turret hotspots here. The first is behind the cars and trucks and the bridge. The second, once you inevitably lose that position, is to the side of the Payload spawn where the chain of rooms leads to the stairs. Place them either inside facing away from flankers or on the outside around the doorways

Hollywood: Two locations here. The first is also behind the cars and trucks just like on Numbani. There's a stairwell right in front of the first chokepoint that's also good for turrets. Near the payload point you should put them on the wall of the building, with the trees. These are almost untouchable without them being in line of sight of your Bastions and Torbjorns and whatever.

Route 66: There's a lot of nooks and crannies between the broken train cars that you can hide sentries in. Again, place them high and facing AWAY from attackers so they're forced to look backwards to shoot them, leaving their behinds open.

Volskaya Industries: Around the large truck at the first chokepoint. You can choose to either lay them around the truck or cut off the rooms to either side of the truck.

Hanamura: Same deal as King's Row. To either side of the chokepoint gate, far enough to avoid explosion damage but close enough to focus fire. You might also lay a few in the room to the left or the entrance to the top right depending on what they're doing.

Gibralter: This one's a bit of a crapshoot, I haven't really figured out good turret locations so I just slap them everywhere on rocks and over/behind doorways

Anubis: The gate has two doorways, I like to put one or two sentries in the middle column, and also a few in the room to the right.

Dorado: I don't have much experience with Symmetra on this one.

Rules of thumb for turret placing:
1) Place them high and place them low, so they have to look around to see all of them
2) Change locations if they're getting wiped out too often
3) Place them far apart so any shot destroys one at most. If a Reaper can kill all of them just by spraying, you're doing it wrong
4) One or two on payloads (on the underside) can surprise Tracers/Genjis

76% win rate as Symmetra, but I play her exclusively on defense.

1) Place them high and place them low, so they have to look around to see all of them
3) Place them far apart so any shot destroys one at most. If a Reaper can kill all of them just by spraying, you're doing it wrong

This is all good advice. I have problems figuring out where to put Teleporters on some maps.

The Bastion comparison is actually a really good point in how things change over time when you learn a character's weaknesses. This is bringing me back to the days when certain people fought tooth and nail claiming Ike was top tier in Smash Bros. Eventually you just have to let time and tournaments prove it isn't the case.
By that logic this entire discussion is pointless. Melee tiers shifted constantly for a long time even though that game never got a patch. People are always going to find weaknesses in a well balanced game. There is nothing saying that you couldnt find weaknesses in whatever characters are considered top tier characters right now just like you're saying people will find the weaknesses in Symmetras character.

mellow

I finally earned enough credits to purchase a legendary skin but now I'm reluctant to spend them lol

zarya's the only hero I haven't really gotten down yet, she seems worth getting good with though since whenever I come across someone that knows how to use her she's a handful

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is all good advice. I have problems figuring out where to put Teleporters on some maps.

Hollywood: Behind the gate that opens once they take the first point
Hanamura: Above the stairs of the alcove to the left of the chokepoint, if you're facing attackers, or behind the gate between the first point and the second point
Temple of Anubis: Towards the back near the control point
Volskaya Industries: In the wide room facing the control point
Route 66: Behind the bill board sign across from the attacker spawn point or in the building even further back
Watchpoint: Gibraltar: Usually my team cedes the first area, when i set up in the second area I place the teleporter behind the large gate that opens when they reach the hanger
King's Row: In the alcove underneath the statue or in the building to the back if you're on the control point and looking at attack spawn
Numbani: In the alcove in front of the spawn point and to the left, or in one of the hallways in the big building behind the first control point

Try to place turrets in places that don't see a lot of fire, or behind walls.

King's Row: On either side of the gateway between the statue and Attack spawn. Place them far enough from the entrance so Pharah/Junkrat's bombs don't kill them instantly, but close enough to hit whoever runs through

Numbani: Symmetra's not great on Numbani because of the wide, open spaces. There are two turret hotspots here. The first is behind the cars and trucks and the bridge. The second, once you inevitably lose that position, is to the side of the Payload spawn where the chain of rooms leads to the stairs. Place them either inside facing away from flankers or on the outside around the doorways

Hollywood: Two locations here. The first is also behind the cars and trucks just like on Numbani. There's a stairwell right in front of the first chokepoint that's also good for turrets. Near the payload point you should put them on the wall of the building, with the trees. These are almost untouchable without them being in line of sight of your Bastions and Torbjorns and whatever.

Route 66: There's a lot of nooks and crannies between the broken train cars that you can hide sentries in. Again, place them high and facing AWAY from attackers so they're forced to look backwards to shoot them, leaving their behinds open.

Volskaya Industries: Around the large truck at the first chokepoint. You can choose to either lay them around the truck or cut off the rooms to either side of the truck.

Hanamura: Same deal as King's Row. To either side of the chokepoint gate, far enough to avoid explosion damage but close enough to focus fire. You might also lay a few in the room to the left or the entrance to the top right depending on what they're doing.

Gibralter: This one's a bit of a crapshoot, I haven't really figured out good turret locations so I just slap them everywhere on rocks and over/behind doorways

Anubis: The gate has two doorways, I like to put one or two sentries in the middle column, and also a few in the room to the right.

Dorado: I don't have much experience with Symmetra on this one.

4) One or two on payloads (on the underside) can surprise Tracers/Genjis

75% wr myself and I also only play her on defense. This is all great advice for people trying to get the hang of Symmetra.

-MD-

It's a good thing you can't type on PS4, because I don't think I'd be able to handle the trash talk.

Yeah you're better off not hearing some of the bullshit people spew on here.

Couldn't imagine talking as much shit as this dude just did with having stats that poor.

I can't cook and I know shitty meals.

Awww, you should learn. I could teach you :)

Just went against an entire team using Torb defending the Dorado Payload. We nearly won with like a tiny bit of distance left until we ran out of time. Great practice against turrets though. It made me realize how squishy they could be with the right characters.

Salarians

I'm actually worried that I'll never those achievements with characters like D Va or Hanzo because most people have already learned how to completely avoid them. The only hope now is comboing with a Zarya and no one else kill them before the ult goes off.
Yeah, I've had the same thoughts. Part of why I played Hanzo at every opportunity early on was to get his and the unique spray. When I finally did, it was after getting triple kills with it twice earlier on in that match lol

Came so very close to getting Soldier 76's thanks to a Zarya ally.

SwolBro

Banned
I wish the console version supported text chat.
yeah i really wish we did have this option. it's weird that we don't. we can just use our phones to text chat in game. GAF should come together and try and make this happen.

Just got a 23 player killstreak with symmetra on Temple of Anubis.

Feels good. I didn't die once.

Exactly why i hate Temple of Anubis, it's a turret haven.

People underestimating Symmetras LMB. That thing at level 3 just makes your hp evaporate.

Though I I want to see her "E" change. Instead of giving a boring tiny shield make her build something with her light bending powers. Maybe a elevator type platform or an AOE shield buff if you stand in an area.

Feltrol

Banned

image.php

ramyeon

Picking up a new headset today so I can play this with a working microphone.

This game is doing strange things to me that I honestly didn't expect at all.

ExVicis

Just went against an entire team using Torb defending the Dorado Payload. We nearly won with like a tiny bit of distance left until we ran out of time. Great practice against turrets though. It made me realize how squishy they could be with the right characters.
I'm curious, what did you guys counter with?

Owzers

when you get a group invite message on PS4 and it says Press Y or N, what are you supposed to do? It always cancels the invite for me and i get tossed into the next random game.

Rhaknar

Just looked at my stats and was reminded that Hanzo is now my most played hero and D.Va has fallen down to the dredges with the Reapers and Tracers and Pharahs.

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Despite being in the lower tiers D.va and symmetra are the only characters keeping my general W/L ratio above 50%. :p

I have the highest winrate with Symmetra and the runner up is not even close.

People underestimating Symmetras LMB. That thing at level 3 just makes your hp evaporate.

Though I I want to see her "E" change. Instead of giving a boring tiny shield make her build something with her light bending powers. Maybe a elevator type platform or an AOE shield buff if you stand in an area.
Truth.

eumYpht.gif

Apathy

god how do people do it? how do they get past level 10 and still don't get on the point. I want to invent the technology to punch someone through the internet. How, and how does a terrible sniper that can't hit a roadhog and has been countersniped the whole game and even acts surprised when they miss over voice "wow how did i miss her?", how do they not understand they need to switch.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
god how do people do it? how do they get past level 10 and still don't get on the point. I want to invent the technology to punch someone through the internet. How, and how does a terrible sniper that can't hit a roadhog and has been countersniped the whole game and even acts surprised when they miss over voice "wow how did i miss her?", how do they not understand they need to switch.

You think it's bad at level 10? I will do the thankless Reinhardt job, and rush the objective. . .and people will STILL fight in the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom