• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drives me nuts playing with randoms who are Rein, who are afraid to get hurt. You're the shield guy! I ulted as Torb with a Rein in front so I could build a strong turret quick. The moment I ulted, he put down his shield and left. Wut.

Grief.exe

How did you overcome all those Tors? Having too many of them seems like the biggest "broken" aspect of the game. I think the turrets have too far of a range and don't take enough damage considering a Tor can run around and keep them healthy after a few hits.

I really do kind of wish Blizzard locked out heroes. I enjoy playing almost all of them so it wouldn't bother me if a hero I wanted at that moment was taken.

Blizzard is in a difficult spot with a lot of these balance choices since at top level play characters like Bastion, Mei, and Torb are useless due to easy counters and coordination, but in pubs they can be dominate.

mbpm1

Drives me nuts playing with randoms who are Rein, who are afraid to get hurt. You're the shield guy! I ulted as Torb with a Rein in front so I could build a strong turret quick. The moment I ulted, he put down his shield and left. Wut.

Maybe he was intimidated by your Molten Core

Beginning to wonder if there's a useful one-person strategy for dealing with a turret + Bastion combo, because holy fucking shit no one ever wants to take out turrets anymore so I can't trust anyone else on my team to bother. Like, if you're on my team and you're playing Pharah, it's your goddamned job to take out turrets. So DO IT.

Westlo

Just did attack Hollywood (best music) with an all Soldier team, won pretty easy. Saw two people as soldier already at the start and thought it was going to be one of those games but they kept spamming in team chat "We're all soldiers now" so f it, everyone went soldier.

Just did attack Hollywood (best music) with an all Soldier team, won pretty easy. Saw two people as soldier already at the start and thought it was going to be one of those games but they kept spamming in team chat "We're all soldiers now" so f it, everyone went soldier.
That's my kinda match.

Soma

Repeatedly pushing people off ledges on Lijiang Tower with Lucio's alt fire is the funniest thing.

I almost felt bad for a second.

Beginning to wonder if there's a useful one-person strategy for dealing with a turret + Bastion combo, because holy fucking shit no one ever wants to take out turrets anymore. Like, if you're on my team and you're playing Pharah, it's your goddamned job to take out turrets. So DO IT.

On behalf of all Pharah players: unless we can get an angle on a turret where the splash damage can hit it, it'll rip us apart. Especially Bastions: if they see me, I'm already dead. Torbjorn turrets can be a bit more survivable, but unless a tank is drawing its fire, a solo Pharah can be in a bit of trouble.

Beginning to wonder if there's a useful one-person strategy for dealing with a turret + Bastion combo, because holy fucking shit no one ever wants to take out turrets anymore so I can't trust anyone else on my team to bother. Like, if you're on my team and you're playing Pharah, it's your goddamned job to take out turrets. So DO IT.
Depends on line of sight, but Widowmaker solve all problem.

On behalf of all Pharah players: unless we can get an angle on a turret where the splash damage can hit it, it'll rip us apart. Especially Bastions: if they see me, I'm already dead. Torbjorn turrets can be a bit more survivable, but unless a tank is drawing its fire, a solo Pharah can be in a bit of trouble.
Yeah, Pharah isn't going to do a lot against turrets unless the other team straight up doesn't know she's coming. Even her Ult doesn't stand up to a Bastion turret. She gets mowed down in seconds.

I know, I play tons of Pharah. Peek from cover is your best friend, though, and there are plenty of angles to do so on Hanamura. But that Bastion sat unmolested except by me, and I crushed two Torbjorn turrets as Zarya. But I can't do everything myself.

Canucked

Sometimes, if there is a sticky turret/bastion combo my team can't handle, I'll try and charge the turret as Reinhardt and throw up my shield hoping that my team follows up on the Bastion and the enemy team shoots my shield. Timing has to be good through because those bullets will shred shield and obliterate me.

Klyka

Banned
Widowmaker completely destroy whatever little fun this game has in it to begin with.

Literally a fucking chore instead of entertainment.

Tawpgun

Pharrah is actually a good counter for a rein protecting a bastion or torb turret. Concus him away. But it's a suicide mission. A quick lucio Winston or tracer could work too. Reaper as well if you can get a good teleport off

^^^^ heh she's a non issue on consoles.

pigeon

Banned

I'm really not sure where this idea got started. Pharah's just not that good at taking out turrets. They don't care that she jumped up
In the sky and they have no damage falloff. She can do it, but not better than, like, Lucio or Genji.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Widowmaker completely destroy whatever little fun this game has in it to begin with.

Literally a fucking chore instead of entertainment.

You could say the same for any shooter with a sniper class. I used to rage at snipers in CoD, and snipers in Battlefield made me stop playing it almost as soon as I started.

But that is my own mindset. They are MEANT to be a pain in the ass, and good ones will draw aggro. But they aren't unbeatable. Its a case of whether it is you, or a capable teammate that makes it their mission to flank, and take them out. Widowmaker is squishy at best.

Firestorm

She'll need a Reinhardt or at least some tank to take it as mentioned. If Bastion and the turret are in the same spot and you can get a good angle on it, Junkrat spam can help. Junkrat ult if you can drop from above (climb a wall) or get a really good angle and do it quick enough before they scatter also works.

ISOM

Yeah it makes no sense. If you pick ReinHardt you should be on the frontline pushing into the objective but some of these randoms want to play him like he's not a tank. Very annoying.

Klyka

Banned
You could say the same for any shooter with a sniper class. I used to rage at snipers in CoD, and snipers in Battlefield made me stop playing it almost as soon as I started.

But that is my own mindset. They are MEANT to be a pain in the ass, and good ones will draw aggro. But they aren't unbeatable. Its a case of whether it is you, or a capable teammate that makes it their mission to flank, and take them out. Widowmaker is squishy at best.

Like,I said, literally a chore to deal with them.

There is no fun, no entertainment, no enjoyment at all out of dealing with a Widowmaker.
And it's also completely down to luck whether or not she will instantly headshot or two time bodyshot you while dealing with her, no matter the class.

It is a dull class, for dull people that makes things dull.

Huh. Well, today I learned that people don't know how to use Pharah to take out turrets. This explains a lot. I guess next time I'll do it, then. Thanks!

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

There is no fun, no entertainment, no enjoyment at all out of dealing with a Widowmaker.
And it's also completely down to luck whether or not she will instantly headshot or two time bodyshot you while dealing with her, no matter the class.

It is a dull class, for dull people that makes things dull.

I quite enjoy unseating them hard with Junkrat, but that's just me

Rad-

Hanzo. Scattershot one shot kills Bastion and turrets. Normal arrows kill them pretty quickly as well.

Ivan 3414

Pick Winston.

Winston shuts down Widowmaker for free.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Yeah. No one bothers to take 'em out for them YouTuuuube killz! Sigh. I use Pharah for that but man, no one gives a shit to heal me so it takes a looong while for me to take one out.

Tried Zarya today and holy crap! She's awesome! Provided you have a competent team (which I rarely do), she's a strong pusher/defender due to her shields and grenade spam. Problem is, if I message "My ult is ready" repeatedly, no one gives a flying fuck and just uses theirs willy nilly anyway. :(

I do find her ally shield kinda baffling though. It lasts for like what? 2-3 seconds? What good is it for? Rushing in and tanking a turret or what? And her laser doesn't seem to do that much damage even if the orb is big and shining. Her ultimate might be the longest charging in the entire game, I think. It's dead powerful so I understand why. Just wish it'd charge a little bit faster.

I think my main problem when I want to play as Zarya is my team mostly consists of asshats who can't kill enemies. Based on my 7-10 games, I managed to find maybe 1-2 games where my teammates were able to take down enemies with me supporting them. Otherwise, I see myself having to eliminate enemies AND pushing.

What is with all the shitty McCrees, Genjis and Hanzos? It's gotten to the point that I groan when I see a teammate pick one of each since they suck more often than not. I'm OK with having them as teammates, but if they're just going to hang back and try to snipe enemies or hunt for heroes, then fuck that.

I played a game today where we were attacking and two teammates picked Widowmaker and one as Torbjorn. Ugh. It was like 3v6!

vypek

There is something I am trying to do in this game and I'm not sure if it is possible or not.

I want to play quick play matches with certain rules? Like faster ultimate charge or limit number of heroes. Does "custom game" not actually allow that? I have to either invite people to play or have AI?

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
The one thing that bugs me in this game is how fucking fast all the ultis load up.
No, Mercy should not be able to resurrect 3 times in 2 minutes and no, Reaper should not have his insta kill ult ready in under a minute.

Lost a game in lijang tower yesterday because the enemy Reaper had his ult ready literally everytime we ran into the spot after he killed us with his previous ult

DrArchon

Had the most fucking infuriating match just now. For some reason my right trigger on my controller wasn't working whenever I was looking at certain opponents it felt like. I could fire my guns fine normally, but when certain people entered the frame they just jammed up and nothing happened. It was the weirdest thing. Numerous times I'd run up to someone as Tracer and stand there doing nothing even though I was holding down the right trigger.

Rad-

The one thing that bugs me in this game is how fucking fast all the ultis load up.

No, Mercy should not be able to resurrect 3 times in 2 minutes and no, Reaper should not have his insta kill ult ready once every minute or so.

Yeah Mercy's ult charge time is just crazy. I sometimes get 3 res uses in a single longer fight.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Had the most fucking infuriating match just now. For some reason my right trigger on my controller wasn't working whenever I was looking at certain opponents it felt like. I could fire my guns fine normally, but when certain people entered the frame they just jammed up and nothing happened. It was the weirdest thing. Numerous times I'd run up to someone as Tracer and stand there doing nothing even though I was holding down the right trigger.

I've had this before, and i think it is just wear and tear on the controller over time. The "dead zone" with each press increases the more you use it.

I just switched to a newer controller and have been fine since.

DrArchon

I've had this before, and i think it is just wear and tear on the controller over time. The "dead zone" with each press increases the more you use it.

I just switched to a newer controller and have been fine since.

I just got this controller a few months ago though. It's not like it's some torn up piece of junk. It was brand new back in like February.

Guess I'll buy another new controller.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I just got this controller a few months ago though. It's not like it's some torn up piece of junk. It was brand new back in like February.

Guess I'll buy another new controller.

Mine was fairly new too. My other thought was that I was pressing the trigger too quickly and it wasn't registering some shots.

Would need people more technically minded to determine if that is a thing in Overwatch.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm thinking Widowmaker's scoped charge up will probably have to be changed to quadratic rather than linear growth. Of all the heroes, she feels the most out of place in that she's basically a classic FPS sniper with more mobility. Raw aiming skill only gets you so far in Overwatch but not so for Widowmaker, who scales the best with good aim, followed by McCree. I've had my share of matches decided by whether or not my Widowmaker was better than their Widowmaker.

Good Widowmakers can get off 75% charged headshots during a single rappel jump. That's kind of silly, being able to move like Pharah with a sniper rifle.

Hex

Banned
Huh. Well, today I learned that people don't know how to use Pharah to take out turrets. This explains a lot. I guess next time I'll do it, then. Thanks!

Not as easy as you think.
The rocket travel time makes it take finesse.
I do it, hell it is why I started playing her but my main problems are that I kill one and by the time I wrap around another is built because my team is off lolligagging or I will pop Concuss Tor away and pop the Turret and he is just building where he landed.
And if I happen to trade with the turret and kill it and still die because of shot travel time by the time I get back it is back.

I will constantly pop turrets and say "Ok let's crash the party" and then I see nobody lol.

I know, I play tons of Pharah. Peek from cover is your best friend, though, and there are plenty of angles to do so on Hanamura. But that Bastion sat unmolested except by me, and I crushed two Torbjorn turrets as Zarya. But I can't do everything myself.

Yep this is it, peek and fire - peek and fire ....you will eat a few shots here and there.
Preferably post up where there is a heal right near you to run grab and come back.

Klyka

Banned
Not if the Widow sits relatively close to her team. If so Winston gets rekt before being able to kill her. Best counter to Widow is another (good) Widow.

Yep. And a good Widowmaker will just immediately grapple away and while flying off turn around and shoot you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom