• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I've taken out plenty of turrets as Widow. As long as the team aren't pussies and rush in when it's down, all the better. Sometimes I wait for a Tor to start rebuilding and headshot them. :D

Sorral

An enemy Mercy said this to me last night after I killed her and it made me sad
O0zvMfL.jpg

I killed a Mercy like three times in the same match. Everytime I saw her >> Ryuuji no kaioken! and it really made me want full chat to be on, on PS4 just to hear/read what people would say.

Don't play a sniper just because Overwatch wiki says it works against turrets, it's a very situational counter where you have to be outside of turret's range. It won't work if you can't find a LoS long enough to be outside of turret's range and certainly not when you are one sniper going up against 3 Torbjorn while a Winston and Genji is on your ass hard countering you all the time.

Just think of it this way, if it worked in that particular situation...it would have, but it didn't. A hero slot is being wasted in this case.

The turrets will always attack whoever is the closest, no?

In my personal experience 76's rockets are way better anti-turret than anything else in the game.

Pharah works extremely well.

Xeteh

I do, and I just think her survive-ability is way to high. You can't touch her at close range unless you want to have a bad time, if shes cornered she can icewall, if shes damaged she can freeze herself, and then continue to stay safe as soon as shes out.

Why would you try fighting her at close range if you can avoid it? She's strong there, stronger than most. Unless she walks in to a corner to Icewall there's no guarantee that she's going to be able to block you off from her, maps are pretty wide open. And if she's cornered what does the Icewall even do other than delay the inevitable? Plus any hero with an escape gets out of her freeze and goes to a range where she loses her advantage.

The heal is ~125HP which isn't much and the cooldown is long enough to where you rarely get to use it twice in a fight. I can't understand anyone who has played her for any length feeling that her iceblock is overpowered. Its good, no doubt but it isn't like she can live forever with it.

vypek

Update History on PS4:

-Fixed connection bug when timing out on initial login
-Fixed an issue with voice-chat that could lead to users loosing* voice communications for the entirety of the game session

*patch note typo

Honestly playing widow on attack is so much fun, and even if you don't land your shots it's still so useful. Because the simple presence of a widowmaker makes all the squishies in the backlines of the defense suddenly way more skittish. And since everyone's attention is suddenly focused on you, your whole team can push more easily.

The whole trick is to often change position, take a few shots and unless you took our a lot of targets, immediately move otherwise you're gonna be gunned down

Yes. Whenever people pick widowmaker or Hanzo or Bastion on attack my eyes immediately roll. These characters only work on attack if you are very good at twitch shooting or have a specific plan to execute (bastion behind reinhardt on payload, or you know a good angle to exploit).

Nothing is worse than a bad sniper on offense though, someone who hangs too far back to be effective, and misses shots. People don't get skittish if you are missing shot after shot on them.

I thought Mei was OP too, but after playing her a bit, I realized that she can be deadly, but if you fuck up in the execution, you don't have your cooldowns up and you are at close range. Basically she only works 1v1 if you are good at it, and if she has to face 2 people, goodnight.

That is my #1 pet peeve in the game, is people picking multiple snipers on offense.

Pet peeve #2 though, is people not hero-switching.

ExVicis

I got to experience two widows being on the enemy team. It felt really nice to not have it happen to me and my team but also I felt so much sympathy for the enemy team. The guy changed from Pharah to Widow too, no idea why. They had just a few more meters to get the payload to the destination and he just changed. What was even more crazy about it was I was Winston. So I went to town on both Snipers and no one was able to do a thing about it. His response to that was to change to Tor but the game ended before he built anything.

I really wanna just peer into the mind of that person and just see what the thought process was that led to them change from Pharah to a 2nd Widow then to a Torbjorn when they had barely over a minute left in the match.

New Update:

- 4 new skins for each character added
- 2 new heroes added Sombra and Sven (Torbjorn's nemesis)
- Chance of getting a legendary skin from a loot box increased by 30%
- 4 New Maps added
- MCCree Fan the Hammer damage decreased after roll by 30%
- We are buffing your waifu of choice, just let us know which one by email.

sorry

Do you drop shield to aim? When you're in shield the crosshairs are right on your back when you're looking forward unless I'm missing something.

I don't drop it. It doesn't matter where the crosshairs are. That's still where it's going so if it's on your back, feet, or head, that's still where it's traveling to. Also, it does transition to first person view for a half second, so you can adjust even if it wasn't clear.

I've become a new fan of Pharahs concussive grenade. Been throwing people off the stage left and right now. In a couple of cases, used it to get myself out of danger our used it to push the enemy team together into an ult.

New Update:

- 4 New Maps added

sorry

Roadhog, please.

Why would you try fighting her at close range if you can avoid it? She's strong there, stronger than most. Unless she walks in to a corner to Icewall there's no guarantee that she's going to be able to block you off from her, maps are pretty wide open. And if she's cornered what does the Icewall even do other than delay the inevitable? Plus any hero with an escape gets out of her freeze and goes to a range where she loses her advantage.

The heal is ~125HP which isn't much and the cooldown is long enough to where you rarely get to use it twice in a fight. I can't understand anyone who has played her for any length feeling that her iceblock is overpowered. Its good, no doubt but it isn't like she can live forever with it.

Delay the inevitable? I think you mean PLAN YOUR COUNTER ATTACK.

BigDug13

That's not much of a nerf. fan does 420 damage and a 30% reduction after roll puts his second attack at around 300 damage. So it's still 720 damage to a tank super quick. Not seeing what got fixed here.

Xeteh

Delay the inevitable? I think you mean PLAN YOUR COUNTER ATTACK.

Well when you lock yourself in with the Lucio-tron then its a whole other ballgame.

That's not much of a nerf. fan does 420 damage and a 30% reduction after roll puts his second attack at around 300 damage. So it's still 720 damage to a tank super quick. Not seeing what got fixed here.

I would have figured "we're buffing the waifu of your choice, email us to let us know which" would have tipped it off.

X-Frame

Can someone confirm something for me --

If I get a Gold Medal for something like Objective Kills, as a Symmetra, with a grand total of 2 kills, does that mean everyone else on my team had gotten either 0 or 1 Objective kill for the entire match?

I've become a new fan of Pharahs concussive grenade. Been throwing people off the stage left and right now. In a couple of cases, used it to get myself out of danger our used it to push the enemy team together into an ult.

Yeah, it is also great for separating up a torb from his turret, or the dreaded Mercy/reinhardt/bastion combo on defense.

Finally had a chance to play with a GAF squad yesterday, a lot of my old Battlefield buddies. We did pretty good for the most part. Had a few tough matches against a team that had a beastmode Tracer. To the point where I actually started playing as tracer and really like her a lot. I feel I could have been using better teamwork and call outs, but my Lucio did pretty well heal wise. Was nice seeing us all switch up when needed and not have just one person be dedicated healer or support. Look forward to more team matches, so much better than pub play.

I go after Mercy almost exclusively if I see her and one asked me after I killed them, "Why me?"

I felt so guilty...

Lol, when I was playing as Tracer I kept murdering the other teams Mercy. Felt great man.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Other team complimented on my Winston after their Hanzo apparently was yelling/cussing into the mic about getting the monkey off of him.

Made my night.

BigDug13

Well when you lock yourself in with the Lucio-tron then its a whole other ballgame.

I would have figured "we're buffing the waifu of your choice, email us to let us know which" would have tipped it off.

Thought it was a joke that sometimes gets added to patch notes.

Other team complimented on my Winston after their Hanzo apparently was yelling/cussing into the mic about getting the monkey off of him.

Made my night.

I love hearing stuff like that in chat. I am supremely adequate at this game, and someone last night went out of their way to compliment my Mei play, it was very nice to hear. I think I was pretty much the reason we won the map, as the freezebomb team kill on the objective was followed by a wall off that prevented them from keeping the overtime going.

Long story short, totally compliment people when they do something awesome, pay it forward.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can someone confirm something for me --

If I get a Gold Medal for something like Objective Kills, as a Symmetra, with a grand total of 2 kills, does that mean everyone else on my team had gotten either 0 or 1 Objective kill for the entire match?

Yeah. Though I think you could have a tie so more than one person might have a gold medal in that category at the time.

Blues1990

Yeah, someone called me a f*****t after winning a match and getting POTG as Zarya. Honestly made my night that I played well enough to make someone so angry. Sometimes I'll say sorta-angry things in chat, but make sure they know it's in good fun.

I never say a bad thing towards anyone UNLESS if they're truly bad. But in the case for online games, I just mute the loud mouths that are heckling me or spewing nasty things.

Sorral

nope even better, it's a Shutdown, so it gave it to him because he shut his ult down before he could kill anyone xD

lol sigh, that's even worse.

New Update:

- 4 New Maps added

sorry

Great update. Looking forward to trying all of this out. That McCree 'nerf' isn't really a nerf though. lol

pigeon

Banned
when you get gold in Healing as Soldier but your team has a Lucio

Yesterday I was playing with my friend and said "you know, I know it's not actually possible, but I think the Lucio isn't healing."

He said "he's not, he's had speed boost on the whole game."

I was sad.

besada

Banned
In my personal experience 76's rockets are way better anti-turret than anything else in the game.

In my experience as playing Torbjorn a lot, Soldier 76 is rarely a problem for me. My two biggest distance issues are Widowmaker and Pharah (in particular Pharah doesn't have to be exactly on target and her damage splashes onto me, not just my turret), and my biggest up close issues are D.Va, Reaper, and Genji. D.Va with her damned ult and Genji flanking my team and murdering me and my turret. And fuck you, Reaper. Teleport and murder.

I generally don't worry about anyone else. Most Junkrats don't have good enough aim to hit my placements before the turret gets them, Tracers try for the turrets but don't have the health and don't dare hang around the same area for long. Bastions can't get into turret mode in LoS without getting creamed. A good Roadhog can do me, but they have to be good, because they'll be fighting me and the turret simultaneously -- generally ends up with all three of us dead.

''because fuck you'' should have been your answer.

seriously though, she can literally win games with her ult so she should definitely be a priority.

Yeah Mercy HAS TO DIE more then any other character in the game. Her ult is TF2 medic's uber on steroids with the effect it has on the game.

If I damage boost Torbjörn (as Mercy), that translates to his turret right?

Both of these questions are relevant to my interests! Mate and I were debating these very things last night.

For Mercy/Torbjorn, I figured that as Mercy's VFX literally draw a line connecting her to an individual, given how clear Blizzard's visual language usually is, that is indicative that it only translates to the person it's connected to.

eek5

I don't drop it. It doesn't matter where the crosshairs are. That's still where it's going so if it's on your back, feet, or head, that's still where it's traveling to. Also, it does transition to first person view for a half second, so you can adjust even if it wasn't clear.
I mean I understand that the fire strike is going where you're aiming, obviously, but if you're looking forward you can't see where you're aiming since you just see your back

If I damage boost Torbjörn (as Mercy), that translates to his turret right?

Nope

noire

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the PS4 version at launch. I was staying away from the PC version because I'm a comfy-couch gamer and don't do well with KB/M. But I had a Best Buy gift card and a bunch of friends playing on PC, so I decided to drop the $15, and give it a shot with a controller....

I thought for sure I would get murdered, but I played a quick round of Attack on Dorado at lunch as Pharah and did really well. Went 15:9, and was the last one alive in Overtime until my eventual death. This is probably a fluke, but I'll take it.

''because fuck you'' should have been your answer.

seriously though, she can literally win games with her ult so she should definitely be a priority.

Oh definitely. If you see a yellow or blue beam, follow that like a rainbow and shoot her in the face.

While we're at it. Killing the turret means nothing if you don't also kill the Torb! Death to Mercy and Torb!

I mean I understand that the fire strike is going where you're aiming, obviously, but if you're looking forward you can't see where you're aiming since you just see your back

Nope

Maybe it's just map familiarity, but I don't need to see every exact detail to know where I'm aiming. I'm not saying I wouldn't like the camera to be a little further back and above since more visible data is better than less, but I think once you're familiar with your surroundings and how the move works/moves, it's pretty easy to aim and hit. Also, you usually aim it where the target is heading rather than where they are unless they're near coming at you or stationary (like another Rein or Bastion), and those guys are pretty easy to see. You can clearly see to the left and right of your character.

New Update:

- 4 New Maps added
sorry

is this real? I'm so confused

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is this real? I'm so confused

did the waifu part not make it clear it was a joke? :)

In my experience as playing Torbjorn a lot, Soldier 76 is rarely a problem for me. My two biggest distance issues are Widowmaker and Pharah (in particular Pharah doesn't have to be exactly on target and her damage splashes onto me, not just my turret), and my biggest up close issues are D.Va, Reaper, and Genji. D.Va with her damned ult and Genji flanking my team and murdering me and my turret. And fuck you, Reaper. Teleport and murder.

I generally don't worry about anyone else. Most Junkrats don't have good enough aim to hit my placements before the turret gets them, Tracers try for the turrets but don't have the health and don't dare hang around the same area for long. Bastions can't get into turret mode in LoS without getting creamed. A good Roadhog can do me, but they have to be good, because they'll be fighting me and the turret simultaneously -- generally ends up with all three of us dead.

dat Hanzo ignore ;_;

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I picked up the PS4 version at launch. I was staying away from the PC version because I'm a comfy-couch gamer and don't do well with KB/M. But I had a Best Buy gift card and a bunch of friends playing on PC, so I decided to drop the $15, and give it a shot with a controller....

I thought for sure I would get murdered, but I played a quick round of Attack on Dorado at lunch as Pharah and did really well. Went 15:9, and was the last one alive in Overtime until my eventual death. This is probably a fluke, but I'll take it.

Controller can work if you don't use heroes that require precision or twitch skills. It's really hard to outshoot someone otherwise with a controller and they have KB/M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom