• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreavus

How does the Rein shield work in regards to server lag/tick rate? Someone mentioned that it "looked" like their team was in front of their shield when they were "really" behind it. Which one wins out?

I assume all the other players are getting the slightly delayed approximation of where you are, which would also include enemies, so maybe it all works out in the end? I guess it just looks weird to the person using Reinhardt?

I am amazed at the number of people who don't seem to understand that this is Reinhardt's function. I play as him a lot, and half the time no one will come stand behind my shield. Taking turrets is easy if you actually use your Reinhardt. You'll probably find him standing in front of the turret, wishing someone would come along and shoot some of the people focusing on him. But no, keep flanking and getting killed by those turrets.

A friend and I had a cool duo of me on Reinhardt and him on Zenyatta for a few games. He's relatively safe behind the shield (barring a flank), Zen can take down stationary targets super fast, and he's free to have his harmony orb out because he's actually in the action somewhat and won't instantly lose LOS.

The orb on Reinhardt is pretty decent healing too when necessary. It was a nice little combo.

mellow

I've been playing a lot of McCree the last couple of days after initially not liking him

he's pretty damn satisfying to play with, I kinda hope he doesn't get nerfed on console since I've never seen one dominate a game in like 50 hrs played since he's so brittle..but I guess it is kinda stupid how you can ruin any tank in like 3 seconds with his combo, hope he doesn't take too big a hit though

eek5

Anyone here playing on a 21:9 monitor? I just got one, and while I want this game I really don't want to deal with black bars if they're distracting.

No 21:9 support. You get black bars unfortunately. In beta there was a hex edit hack that let you hide the black bars but Blizz disabled that for full release (you'd probably get banned for it anyway)

Alucrid

Banned
my best potg yet

ERMyFNb.gif

Mupod

How does the Rein shield work in regards to server lag/tick rate? Someone mentioned that it "looked" like their team was in front of their shield when they were "really" behind it. Which one wins out?

I assume all the other players are getting the slightly delayed approximation of where you are, which would also include enemies, so maybe it all works out in the end? I guess it just looks weird to the person using Reinhardt?

A friend and I had a cool duo of me on Reinhardt and him on Zenyatta for a few games. He's relatively safe behind the shield (barring a flank), Zen can take down stationary targets super fast, and he's free to have his harmony orb out because he's actually in the action somewhat and won't instantly lose LOS.

The orb on Reinhardt is pretty decent healing too when necessary. It was a nice little combo.

I learned the ways of humping Rein's leg as Zenyatta on offense recently. It went incredibly well. It turns out Zen is a turret killing machine too.

Favors the shooter. The only exceptions to the favor the shooter rule are specific things that Blizzard feel should reward the shootee. Mostly evasive abilities.

besada

Banned

I love it when a healer hangs out with me:) I really like Lucio, because he can get me where I need to go, heal me, and drop a sound barrier to help with ults, all while still being able to take opportunity shots and provide covering fire. Rein is great in so many ways, from shielding turrets, to rushing in and taking over a point if his ult is queued up.

I still hold that Zenyatta is the only hero I truly fear.

If you're behind Reinhardt's Shield moving forward, tickrate won't magically make the server think you're standing in front of it or anything. However, if you're running back behind it and get killed, it's just like running around a corner and getting killed--server communication might make it look a little janky.

I've had plenty of times where I do something the second I die and the deathcam doesn't show me doing anything. But it's always very brief and nothing that would've saved me.

I love it when a healer hangs out with me:) I really like Lucio, because he can get me where I need to go, heal me, and drop a sound barrier to help with ults, all while still being able to take opportunity shots and provide covering fire. Rein is great in so many ways, from shielding turrets, to rushing in and taking over a point if his ult is queued up.
Yup. I suck with him (because I hate standing still, and I hate not being able to attack attack attack), but there's a reason he is one of the permanent fixtures on pro teams on any non-capture map. Reinhardt, Mercy, McCree. The off-tank, second support, and damage-dealing spots are more flexible, but those three are essential.

I've had plenty of times where I do something the second I die and the deathcam doesn't show me doing anything. But it's always very brief and nothing that would've saved me.
Important to note that killcams aren't the "truthful" record of what happened anyway.

Tawpgun

Facing a team of 2-3 soldier 76 on consoles is so fkn annoying.

It's probably a knee jerk reaction to some bad games, but I just feel he's too powerful on consoles. Very mobile, can self heal, incredible range, incredible dps, and console players have a tough time shooting him because he's so mobile so he feels stronger than usual.

PotGs get more interesting with every day that passes.
Important to note that killcams aren't the "truthful" record of what happened anyway.

Oh really? I just assumed that was what the server saw.

Interesting.

It's probably a knee jerk reaction to some bad games, but I just feel he's too powerful on consoles. Very mobile, can self heal, incredible range, incredible dps, and console players have a tough time shooting him because he's so mobile so he feels stronger than usual.

One important note on S76 is that when he's sprinting he can't do anything else--I assume this holds true for consoles as well. So he's great at pursuing or reaching the front lines, but the extra mobility doesn't help him that much when actually doing shooty-stuff.

His versatility is really tough to handle sometimes, though, I definitely agree with that.

Ken

Payload attack on dorado with a Torbjorn and a Widowmaker

Guess how far we got

torbjorn: team's fault i couldn't get set up on the payload for 100% turret carry
widowmaker: team's fault they couldn't capitalize on all that sniper pressure my warning shots were doing

Just watched Drift0r's video review on YouTube and he says that on console, and only console, SOME people have input lag. Like one Xbox can have no lag and another Xbox can have bad lag. This is controller lag, not network lag. And this game has always felt a little laggy to me, here on PS4. It just feels off by enough to make me not want to play any more. Switching between Overwatch and COD I can feel the difference immediately.

all i see is a black screen after the intro

This almost happened to me last night.

My PotG was about 3 seconds before the match ended. so after the triple kill landed, the game just shifted over to a rock for the remaining 7 seconds and the music cut out.

Had a good laugh about it.

Son Of D

I think I might need some PS4 folks from here to play with. I mean I'm not great at the game but random teams with no co-ordination are just doing my head in. I'm in the UK for those who prefer to stay in their own region. Had a Soldier and Mei go off hunting for kills at a vital moment during a KotH on Nepal, which left me (as Lucio) and Pharah to defend against 2 Soldiers and a Bastion.

Although I don't have a proper mic at the moment so I'll have like no voice chat.

fresquito

I'm falling in love with D.Va. She is soooo disruptive for the other team. She is so much fun. She is a tank, but I play her nothing like a tank. I go into the enemy backline and start killing snipers, and making some noise in general. Move fast to the nearest life source, rinse and repeat. They are forced to either ignore my shit and accept their snipers will have a really rough time and their healers too, or just turn their backs to my team and die. Either way, it is always fun.

Only thing I dislike is killing myself half the times with my ult. The range is so damn crazy long!

Tawpgun

PotGs get more interesting with every day that passes.

Oh really? I just assumed that was what the server saw.

Interesting.

One important note on S76 is that when he's sprinting he can't do anything else--I assume this holds true for consoles as well. So he's great at pursuing or reaching the front lines, but the extra mobility doesn't help him that much when actually doing shooty-stuff.

His versatility is really tough to handle sometimes, though, I definitely agree with that.

Nah even when he's shooting, he still has a fast strafe and will out dps most anyone.

brian!

shot in the dark but
anyone have this issue where they are running forward but even after w isn't being pressed they keep going for ~2 seconds? pressing s makes you stand still during this. it's as if the initial w press is queuing up additional commands.

LiK

shot in the dark but
anyone have this issue where they are running forward but even after w isn't being pressed they keep going for ~2 seconds? pressing s makes you stand still during this. it's as if the initial w press is queuing up additional commands.

i've had weird movements happen on console and it was lag. i thought it was my controller at first.

besada

Banned
While we're discussing things no one seems to know, how about Defense platform movement? If you get defense players near the platform, it moves backwards, making things much, much easier.

I've seen team kills, which are the perfect time for everyone to get to the platform and push it back, but instead they all go hunting, leaving the platform an inch from the goal.

Same thing with forcing overtime. All you have to do is get close to the platform and you're in overtime. Everyone should be focused on keeping the game in overtime and giving the team a chance to win, but instead most of the team is keeping back trying not to get killed. It doesn't matter if you don't survive, if you lose! Hurl your bodies on the damn thing if you have to, just keep the match going.

While we're discussing things no one seems to know, how about Defense platform movement? If you get defense players near the platform, it moves backwards, making things much, much easier.

I've seen team kills, which are the perfect time for everyone to get to the platform and push it back, but instead they all go hunting, leaving the platform an inch from the goal.

Same thing with forcing overtime. All you have to do is get close to the platform and you're in overtime. Everyone should be focused on keeping the game in overtime and giving the team a chance to win, but instead most of the team is keeping back trying not to get killed. It doesn't matter if you don't survive, if you lose! Hurl your bodies on the damn thing if you have to, just keep the match going.

I am pretty sure you don't have to stand on the payload to get it to move backwards. It should do that on its own.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

you only need one to push it because it caps at 1 the speed. on offense it caps at 3

I am pretty sure you don't have to stand on the payload to get it to move backwards. It should do that on its own.

you need one person. you see the arrow pointing backwards when there is 1 person near it

fuzzyset

He has no bullet spread as well if you fire semi-auto. With the auto-aim assist on console, I can see him being a real pain.

Huh. I thought it worked like TF2, where the payload will slide back if no one is pushing it for, like, 10 seconds.

Good to know.

MBison

I know it's just cosmetic but man I hope Blizzard tries to improve the potg algorithm.

Some suggestions:

1) it seems to favor kills (final blows) over eliminations so characters like Zarya and Mei with alts that combo with people get shafted.

2) need something to give mercy, zen and Lucio a larger chance. Mercy is just rezzing but even without Rez should have a chance. Lucio seems to only have a shot if he knocks a couple people off.

3) maybe some pity potg where characters that haven't gotten it in awhile have a chance?

I dunno just want more variety. Tired of bastion torbjorn blah. Also when one team wipes out the other in minutes on dorado the potg shouldn't be the losing teams reaper getting 3 kills.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm falling in love with D.Va. She is soooo disruptive for the other team. She is so much fun. She is a tank, but I play her nothing like a tank. I go into the enemy backline and start killing snipers, and making some noise in general. Move fast to the nearest life source, rinse and repeat. They are forced to either ignore my shit and accept their snipers will have a really rough time and their healers too, or just turn their backs to my team and die. Either way, it is always fun.

Only thing I dislike is killing myself half the times with my ult. The range is so damn crazy long!

When you pop your ult break line of sight. The range is quite big but a tiny bit of cover will save you (and the enemy if they hop behind some).

I also use D. Va like this too. She's great for finding and destroying teleporters.

Dreavus

I don't think you need to be on the payload as a defender to move it back. If the attackers are absent for too long it should start inching back on it's own. Exactly like how TF2 plays it.

I'm going to watch for this specifically next time I get on defense.

EDIT: I found an old reddit post stating that you need a defender to start pushing it back, but it will slowly continue on it's own until an attacker contests it again?

Hell I'm usually contesting as Reinhardt anyways. Regardless of whether or not it moves back I feel like people are too scared to contest a lot of the time. Like I'm just sitting in front of our payload advancing and people dance around just in front of me without actually stopping the advance.

I don't know about consoles, but I think Roadhog is his best counter, since it's always a one hook, one shot kill, and then hide and heal.

Keasar

"Rank doesn't mean anything."

Said the guy on the team with a total rank of 467 vs. my team of total rank maybe 200 tops and who won with a total pushover and barely any resistance. Twice.

Well it does show who have had time to put in way more hours into this game than others.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yeah kill cams are fucked btw, dont use them judge lag or whatever. Im watching a stream and a tracer clearly dies from a Reinhart E (the flame thing), but then on the kill cam it looks like the flame misses her and she falls over dead, but it clearly hit her in the face when I watched it "live"

Also I'm not much of a fan of the payload game modes. I feel this game is so much more fun in the control point type modes. Payload is fun sometimes on some maps to me, but much of the time I just feel so blah about it.

Jayhawk

I hope to run into more 6x Soldier 76 or 6x Reinhardt teams after work tonight. Funny situations occur when premade gimmick teams face off against premade, mediocre GAF teams.

Zemm

yeah kill cams are fucked btw, dont use them judge lag or whatever. Im watching a stream and a tracer clearly dies from a Reinhart E (the flame thing), but then on the kill cam it looks like the flame misses her and she falls over dead, but it clearly hit her in the face when I watched it "live"

first thing I turned off, they've been inaccurate since they were introduced with CoD1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom