• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It seems like if you all pick 1 character for daily Brawl, there's a good chance that you'll get that character. Had a 4 Torb and 6 Reinhardt recently

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Some of these trophies are rough to fucking get

I mean, I'm @55% no boosting of any kind but some these are so marginally random to chase after its annoying

Like Zenyatta 4 discord kills/assists within 6 secs, I mean come the fuck on

A lot of the trophies that are rough to get are mostly boosted by trophy chasers who planned that shit out to a tee

I mean each char gets 2 extra sprays corresponding to their trophies, some just look to unfathomable to achieve outright
Roadhog ult push out 2 chars is based on luck, skill, map, placement, and enemies with enough health to knock back into the area

Like 2-3 maps have the best option to net it, its annoying to get close then game gives the nope, that one didn't count due to some weird reason

I've gotten so close to Reapers kill 3 enemies with 1 clip, urgh always low health, no healer, just as I reach a heal spot enemy there, FUCK! 1-2 bullets left

I've done the Capture both points without dying multiple times, game never rewards me with it
I have no idea why
Like I captured both, I earned the +points for capturing, 0 deaths, yet no trophy

Some of the trophies were best earned first week, cause now its hella rare to net some of these easily
Junkyard Riptire was easy week 1, now people expect it and disperse, most I net is 3, never 4 hovering...

Some I will never get due to skill I lack and timing
Especially Lucio 3 wall knockbacks without dieing...
Like only 1-2 areas within 1-2maps that you can pull you it off effectively

Xevren

I had multiple games tonight with Lucio with at least 2 kills while on a wall, but just couldn't get a 3rd. I'm gonna get that trophy damn it!

It seems like if you all pick 1 character for daily Brawl, there's a good chance that you'll get that character. Had a 4 Torb and 6 Reinhardt recently
Idk how it works but to add to this .....4 of us picked widowmaker....4 of us got widowmaker. Maybe means nothing though?...

ExVicis

some stupid pharah decided to stop literally right at the line of a point and use her ult instead of touching it in overtime.

people can't be that stupid,I refuse to believe humanity has such brain dead people walking around, this has to be some high level trolling
To be fair, they probably thought they were just close enough to touch it. I've seen a lot worse from Pharah at overtime, usually that being a Pharah rocketing away from the objective.

edited for phone mispellings

Sora_N

Anyone wanna play?

I'm good for 1.5 hours or so.

I'm sick of randoms not picking the right heroes and not giving a shit.

Aisutron#1317

I want to play Genji but I'm willing to heal or tank as Rein.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
One tip I'd like to give people trying out Junkrat for the first time is to not get too comfortable spamming your shots.

You still want to aim very accurately because Junkrat's grenades do the most damage on direct hits. A Junkrat player who understands this can put himself in better positions to make sure his aim isn't compromised and thus be more effective instead of mistakenly assuming that spamming shots over and over will wreck havoc on the enemy team. In certain instances, yes, but he's not the wild inaccurate spamming character that I think newbies think he is. His shots are devastating on direct contact and can bring most heroes down in a couple hits.

To be fair, they probably thought they were just close enough to touch it. I've seen a lot worse from Pharah at overtime, usually that being a Pharah rocketing away from the objective.

edited for phone mispellings

I really think the objective could stand to stretch higher up. In an overtime situation, Pharah has too little mobility to delay for long without leaving the objective. It also skews times and objective kills, which is why you'll seem ore 'direct rocket hits' or 'eliminations' than anything else out of her.

if only there was a function where he could change heroes at any time of the game

Going back to the respawn isn't an ideal option either. At least if he stays out then he can get damage, maybe get ult for when you guys get back.

Sure, when he dies, he should switch if it's not working, but so should lots of people that don't. It's not just the snipers, it's the Genji's who are getting wrecked by McCree's, the Winston's who've been counterpicked by Reapers, the Tracers who're struggling with Torbjorns, etc etc that need to switch also. People generally do not switch when they should.

Satch

Banned
i wonder if blizzard will put in the two payload mode thats in tf2

^^^edit: it was the last point of route 66, the respawn is literally right there

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yeah i am experimenting with other characters now too. I like widowmaker. Usually i like burst dps type characters. Mccree had just that infact a little too good burst dps lol. But I like widowmaker is 1 hit KO with headshot. I was playing some bastian too and with a good team hes is godlike. Type of team that gives you proper cover.
Well, I disagree that he's too good at DPS. That DPS has a very short range, a relatively long reload time, and is a nessecary threat to tank characters. Who else can stand against tanks at short range? There's some other valid arguments that can be made that certain characters are too good at countering others -- Pharrah against Bastion, Widowmaker against almost any tank, Winston against Widow, etc. The main complaints against the character may be leveled at the PC release because of easier, faster, and more precise aiming controls, but I play on console so I can't comment on that.

i wonder if blizzard will put in the two payload mode thats in tf2

^^^edit: it was the last point of route 66, the respawn is literally right there

I wouldn't say running back into your respawn is ever really a good idea though. It adds quite a bit of downtime, and if you're not dying then you probably have the opportunity to be quite effective anyway.

At worst, it's better to just contest the payload and die than it is to walk back and switch, but you can't expect people to draw that conclusion on the fly, it's easy for us to say he should have done that post-hoc, but for him he was probably just focusing on doing as best he can with the character he had already selected. Most players probably only evaluate the character pick on death, a 'wow, this really isn't working' kind of reaction.

Satch

Banned
I wouldn't say running back into your respawn is ever really a good idea though. It adds quite a bit of downtime, and if you're not dying then you probably have the opportunity to be quite effective anyway.

At worst, it's better to just contest the payload and die than it is to walk back and switch, but you can't expect people to draw that conclusion on the fly, it's easy for us to say he should have done that post-hoc, but for him he was probably just focusing on doing as best he can with the character he had already selected. Most players probably only evaluate the character pick on death, a 'wow, this really isn't working' kind of reaction.

ok xD

Sora_N

Lol another game where no one wanted to heal or tank, so I picked tank and I had to ask someone to play healer.

People don't want to win or what?

I blocked 19,000 mainly by myself. Bleh.

ExVicis

Lol another game where no one wanted to heal or tank, so I picked tank and I had to ask someone to play healer.

Should have gone Roadhog, then you could heal yourself ;)

GraveRobberX

The feels where a Mercy abandons you on the point as Reinhardt to go heal a player back at the starting point

Like why?
We were doing so well together...

The IQ of this game frustrates me the most
Yes I sometimes do have lapses of fucking up, but I always try to win, push forward

Too many times I go in solo play and get matched up against teams that do fucking communicate or are parties
No fucking way a Zaraya and Pharah tag team Ultimate @ "Overtime" perfectly without setting it up

While my team has their Ultimates used at the wrong times, yes Genji pull your Ultimate then slice away from the payload chasing that Mercy who is running away while the Tracer just pushes it into place for the Victory

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

People don't give a fuck about winning man. It's all about Team Deathmatch.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The feels where a Mercy abandons you on the point as Reinhardt to go heal a player back at the starting point

Like why?
We were doing so well together...

The IQ of this game frustrates me the most
Yes I sometimes do have lapses of fucking up, but I always try to win, push forward

Too many times I go in solo play and get matched up against teams that do fucking communicate or are parties
No fucking way a Zaraya and Pharah tag team Ultimate @ "Overtime" perfectly without setting it up

While my team has their Ultimates used at the wrong times, yes Genji pull your Ultimate then slice away from the payload chasing that Mercy who is running away while the Tracer just pushes it into place for the Victory

To be fair I kind of don't see the point of babysitting reins unless you're going in there swinging, because most of the time you're nullifying all damage anyway.

Smart play would be mercy damage boosting the people sitting from behind the shield.

Indignate

This totally happened to me yesterday when I was a Pharah.

We did it twice in fact.

I mean, it's not like its hard. If your not the Zarya you just hold your shit until she ults.

TP

Player 1 (Zarya): My ultimate is ready
Player 2 (anybody else): Understood

I've done it loads of times while solo
just takes someone to recognize the opportunity

Satch

Banned
god i am the greediest genji player, i have got to be better about that shit

i get myself killed so many times because i try to be cute with my deflect. im so DUMB

Some of these trophies are rough to fucking get

I mean, I'm @55% no boosting of any kind but some these are so marginally random to chase after its annoying

Like Zenyatta 4 discord kills/assists within 6 secs, I mean come the fuck on

A lot of the trophies that are rough to get are mostly boosted by trophy chasers who planned that shit out to a tee

I boosted a lot of them on Xbox. The zenyatta one is even written wrong. You have to get 5 kills/assists, not 4. People thought it was glitched at first, but just a wrong description. You have to line up 5 tracers and have a reaper one shot them as you throw the orbs. That would never happen in a real game lol

Oh and for the capture one, you have to physically be in the point during the caps

GraveRobberX

They should just add that as a mode then

They need to add rewards or bonus xp to change the fucking mindset
I'm sorry the game is not COD Domination where you forget about the objectives and worry about your KDR

Yes flanking is necessary, but you don't need all fucking 6 Attackers to go break up the Defense, 2-3 is enough

Why on earth would you leave the Payload as a tank
Why would you as a Tracer be in the back line

Its like players don't realize there are multitude of ways achieving victory
Not everyone needs to be on payload duty, but for fuck sakes play to your strengths and let others help cover your weaknesses

Nothing more embarrassing then being stuck @ the starting gate of a map cause your teammates are to fucking stubborn to switch roles just to break ranks on the other side
Yes keep dying over and over and filling up their ultimate meters

GraveRobberX

To be fair I kind of don't see the point of babysitting reins unless you're going in there swinging, because most of the time you're nullifying all damage anyway.

Smart play would be mercy damage boosting the people sitting from behind the shield.

She was covered by my shield and a Bastion in RIP mode
I think she had damage+ on him

My shield was 50%, it was that she was safe behind, she went and got killed by a Reaper who was just camping by our base

I mean help capture objective faster while being an asset to 2+ players, or go heal then die and force team @ objective to fend off reinforcements

GraveRobberX

I boosted a lot of them on Xbox. The zenyatta one is even written wrong. You have to get 5 kills/assists, not 4. People thought it was glitched at first, but just a wrong description. You have to line up 5 tracers and have a reaper one shot them as you throw the orbs. That would never happen in a real game lol

Oh and for the capture one, you have to physically be in the point during the caps

Fuck, now I have to boost these stupid trophies
It requires a lot of pre set up to get things going ugh...

PlayStationtrophies.org ran a group who did all trophies within 6 hours and got all except the borked trophy
Frustrating some of these are impossible

Seriously have to cap them too, I thought if I initiated the capturing+ that was good enough
The game seriously needs to nerf some of these achievements, Zenyatta 2-3 in 6 seconds looks feasible but fucking 5 in 7 seconds, how?

I'm sorry getting that legit is like 1/100000000 chance for the right circumstances to appear in your favor

mbpm1

Buys cool stuff for tracer

Has much more success using other characters and thus doesn't use tracer

oops

at least it's only ingame currrency

A good point to bring up. While the obvious bits of actually protecting your objective and moving the payload are undeniable, I'm hesitant to say any other hard and fast "rules" need to be enforced and yelled at the team,

I've seen people yelling at me "you're pushing too far forward!" Even as the entire enemy team lies dead under my boot. Sometimes pushing on defence can be effective, provides distraction and can decimate squishier teams.

And hell, even an Attack Symmetra can be very effective. There really aren't many hard and fast strategies that can't work as long as you're skilled enough.

But there is always the important point that, if the current plan isn't working, change up your character. It isn't so much that you cant have a plan, but you need to be flexible.

Well, I disagree that he's too good at DPS. That DPS has a very short range, a relatively long reload time, and is a nessecary threat to tank characters. Who else can stand against tanks at short range? There's some other valid arguments that can be made that certain characters are too good at countering others -- Pharrah against Bastion, Widowmaker against almost any tank, Winston against Widow, etc. The main complaints against the character may be leveled at the PC release because of easier, faster, and more precise aiming controls, but I play on console so I can't comment on that.

I mean, it's not just the burst DPS but more that he's kind of good at everything. In isolatin fan the hammer against tanks isn't a big deal... But he basically wins one-on-ones with almost every hero in the game, at almost every range. He beats most mobile flankers with flashnag plus fan the hammer, he shreds ranks with fan the hammer plus his reload roll. He's better at flanking than tracer, better at standing behind a tank and pumping out DPS than S76, and better at shredding tanks at close range than Reaper. His hitscan weapon even makes him effective at ranges that usually only Widow and Hanzo can make work. Any one of those is fine in isolation but taken together it's too good. There's a reason why the competitive meta averages more than a McCree per team.

My guess is they go after the tank shredding bit. S76 and Tracer still get used in the competitive meta, but with fan the hammer as good as it is Reaper hardly ever does. The devs have already confirmed that they're looking at a McCree nerd (and dva buff), so I'll be intersted in seeing what they come up with.

besada

Banned
I imagine her plan was to flit over, heal, and flit back. I tend to keep moving as Mercy, because it is rare that the team does much to help keep me alive. You're all shielded up with an immovable turret, so what happens when a Genji shows up? Mercy dies is what happens. Frankly, I'm not a fan of sheparding Rein with Mercy. He's usually not dealing any damage, he's generally not taking damage, he's not good at countering the flankers who are going to kill me, and when he is taking damage it's because his shield broke, and now I'm Mercy standing in front of everyone on the other team that was shooting at him. Reinhardt needs a Lucio babysitter, plain and simple. Healing, speed, and he can fire from behind your shield, as well as protect you from ults with Sound Barrier.

Fuck, now I have to boost these stupid trophies
It requires a lot of pre set up to get things going ugh...

PlayStationtrophies.org ran a group who did all trophies within 6 hours and got all except the borked trophy
Frustrating some of these are impossible

Seriously have to cap them too, I thought if I initiated the capturing+ that was good enough
The game seriously needs to nerf some of these achievements, Zenyatta 2-3 in 6 seconds looks feasible but fucking 5 in 7 seconds, how?

I'm sorry getting that legit is like 1/100000000 chance for the right circumstances to appear in your favor

It takes a long time to get a boosting session. You pretty much just have to go into a match, have everyone spectate and hope everyone leaves so they can get in. Considering the game will randomly close down a lobby(I still don't understand why), it can take a lot of tries. On average it took about an hour and a half to get a session with all participants in. It's just so much coordination. Then everyone in the session gets a turn. It took me like a week of doing 4 hour sessions every night to get all the ones I needed

I only need two more achievements right now. The glitched one, and 50 unlocks. I'm up to 47 on reaper, just need a crap load more of credits now

Idk how it works but to add to this .....4 of us picked widowmaker....4 of us got widowmaker. Maybe means nothing though?...

If it's anything like the brawl I played in the open beta the first hero you choose will always be what you start with, but after that it's respawn - different hero.

Last game of the night with the typical GAF group.

Zarya on KOTH.

38 elims, career best.

I can't even sleep now. Too hype.

My only problem is that I wish I could play with everyone

I always have full groups and there are always more people I want to play with

NnoUliX.png

I imagine her plan was to flit over, heal, and flit back. I tend to keep moving as Mercy, because it is rare that the team does much to help keep me alive. You're all shielded up with an immovable turret, so what happens when a Genji shows up? Mercy dies is what happens. Frankly, I'm not a fan of sheparding Rein with Mercy. He's usually not dealing any damage, he's generally not taking damage, he's not good at countering the flankers who are going to kill me, and when he is taking damage it's because his shield broke, and now I'm Mercy standing in front of everyone on the other team that was shooting at him. Reinhardt needs a Lucio babysitter, plain and simple. Healing, speed, and he can fire from behind your shield, as well as protect you from ults with Sound Barrier.

It requires a team that knows what it's doing, but I love sticking behind a Reinhardt as Mercy and damage boosting the DPS characters firing from behind the shield and helping them survive flankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom