• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
That feeling when you join an in-progress game on Gibralter on the defending team where the payload is roughly 20 meters away, and you end up winning.

And after the Victory screen, you see yourself up there on the Play of the game. So whatever happened in those first 4-6 minutes was apparently not as good as when you showed up.

Strokes the ego real good there. :D

XenoRaven

Man our team is really struggling to push this point on Numbani.

I KNOW.

WE NEED MORE SNIPERS.

AND WE NEED OUR ONLY TANK TO SWITCH TO PHARAH.

What? It didn't work? I am shocked.

Blues1990

My new custom PC will be coming in the mail within 2-3 weeks, so I can't wait to play Overwatch again. I also want to play with the NeoGAF folks, so I'll add my name to the Google document once I get all set-up.

However, it's been ages since I've played a video game with mouse n' keyboard controls, so would I be better off with getting an Xbox One controller, or should I just force myself to get adjusted with the current configuration?

The controller can "work", but the ceiling of how good you can be is limited just based on the controller design compared to a mouse. If a player like Seagull spent years playing FPS's with a controller, he would still never be able to pull off the same shit he does with his mouse/keyboard. Doing instant 180's and headshotting with ice-sickles while bunny hopping around. Once you're in tune with mouse distances, you can instantly turn your character to the exact milimeter you want to which an analog stick just can't do.

I'm sure you're "effective", but I'm willing to bet if you can hang with PC players while using a controller, if you put in the time, you would probably wreck with mouse/keyboard.

The problem with controllers is the joystick; it has limited movement compared to the mouse. To compensate for that, you need higher sensitivity or mouse smoothing, which is bad--both are bad because they mess up aim. If you go with lower sensitivity, you will not be able to look around/back fast to watch all angles; you can''t have accuracy and awareness at the same time.

I can see people using controllers on PC though--for a limited potential. They can turn off mouse smoothing on PC, and the latter naturally has less input lag given that V-sync is off and the game is running at 60+fps.

Zemm

My new custom PC will be coming in the mail within 2-3 weeks, so I can't wait to play Overwatch again. I also want to play with the NeoGAF folks, so I'll add my name to the Google document once I get all set-up.

However, it's been ages since I've played a video game with mouse n' keyboard controls, so would I be better off with getting an Xbox One controller, or should I just force myself to get adjusted with the current configuration?

Mouse and keyboard really doesn't take long to pick up, and once you do you'll never want to go back for online shooters.

Ayumi

So happy I got the Valkyrie skin! It's really awesome. It was the one I wanted the most~ And I only had looted one leg before (excluding the pre-ordee one).

Hoping to get Widow' Huntress skin next.
\(○^ω^○)/

eek5

This is my first M/KB fps. I initially played with controller but the deadzone and diagonals killed me. It's a bit better in latest patch but by now my limited M/KB skills far outshines my controller ability. I'd say just go for M/KB to start.

The game is really fast. I would honestly just try to learn M+KB over using a controller. The twitch aim needed to play like 50% of the cast effectively isn't effectively replicated with joysticks.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Having to attack control points in sudden death with a third of the time seems stupid to me

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Yeah sudden death basically looks like whoever loses the coin toss loses the game, it doesnt seem fair at all.

Yep, this will probably stop me playing the mode, cant see why they dont just make it regular time for first point.

Dragner

Yeah sudden death basically looks like whoever loses the coin toss loses the game, it doesnt seem fair at all.

I just won a sudden death on mumbani defense, was intense, but yeah the mode is fucked up. More on Mumbani where attacking is so easy than is going to go to sudden death every single time.

Mr Cola

In the long term, we’re actually looking to remove the coin flip and Sudden Death from the game altogether.

I imagine earliest is next season then

I come from a unique background where I started off playing Quake 3 on dreamcast first year on controller than mouse/keyboard (still dreamcast) after. YEARS later, I then transitioned to Quake 3 PC.

Let me prefix by saying, you're better off using mouse and keyboard, straight up. But the initial adjustment period is rough. I'd say 2-3 weeks to really start getting the hang on how to aim.

A couple of tips:
*Start off with a slower sensitivity, then adjust from there. You don't have to have it an extremely high sensitivity just so you can 180 spin by moving your mouse a quarter inch, first adjust to the mouse and keyboard then tweak your sensitivity later when the mouse and keyboard clicks with you.

*Aim with your movements not with the mouse. A big mistake from anyone transitioning, they try to aim solely with the mouse, this is extremely difficult. Rather move with your enemy (like dance with their rhythm) and make subtle adjustments to your mouse (this is why i recommend low sensitivity, if you over do it, you'll end up missing).

NNyMe5d.jpg

anyone know what this means

Mr Cola

wonder if anyone will talk in ranked, in 200 OW games so far I havent heard one person talk on EU/PC

Mr. X

Tried competitive out with friends and friends of friends to make a whole team. KotH Nepal 3-0 the opponents Friends younger brother went 61-8 with Reaper and got the legendary (10) votes at the end. He practices non-stop CSGO on ESEA.

Mr Cola

Tried competitive out with friends and friends of friends to make a whole team. KotH Nepal 3-0 the opponents Friends younger brother went 61-8 with Reaper and got the legendary (10) votes at the end. He practices non-stop CSGO is on ESEA.

You sayin you got boosted bro? :OOOOOOOOOOO

hydruxo

Anybody on PS4 interested in joining my buddies and I for competitive mode when it drops next week? We've got 5 including myself but we need one more person!

Blues1990

The problem with controllers is the joystick; it has limited movement compared to the mouse. To compensate for that, you need higher sensitivity or mouth smoothing, which is bad--both are bad because they mess up aim. If you go with lower sensitivity, you will not be able to look around/back fast to watch all angles; you can''t have accuracy and awareness at the same time.

I can see people using controllers on PC though--for a limited potential. They can turn off mouse smoothing on PC, and the latter naturally has less input lag given that V-sync is off and the game is running at 60+fps.

Mouse and keyboard really doesn't take long to pick up, and once you do you'll never want to go back for online shooters.

This is my first M/KB fps. I initially played with controller but the deadzone and diagonals killed me. It's a bit better in latest patch but by now my limited M/KB skills far outshines my controller ability. I'd say just go for M/KB to start.

The game is really fast. I would honestly just try to learn M+KB over using a controller. The twitch aim needed to play like 50% of the cast effectively isn't effectively replicated with joysticks.

Okay, thank you guys for the feedback & providing your thoughts. I'm planning on playing the game on my big squishy couch, so I might need to find something (coffee tray, etc.) to make playing the game more manageable with the mouse & keyboard set-up.

My sister is planning on getting me a big, squishy bean bag from yogibo, which will be great when I have guests over.

LiK

Anybody on PS4 interested in joining my buddies and I for competitive mode when it drops next week? We've got 5 including myself but we need one more person!

Sure, what time do you guys play? I can only do evenings.

I'll use a mic for competitive.

I haven't played this in a little over two weeks now. The new competitive mode might get me back in, but...I don't know. Other games are taking up my free time, and quick play has lost it's luster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom