• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to forget that the Pro is premium product

Topher

Gold Member
Do you really believe today it's possible to release PS5 Pro with a disc-drive for $499?

If Sony is bad for you, which generous company is ready to do that?

I don't think they could release it at $499, but $599? Certainly. That's what I was expecting and ready to buy.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That extra 1 TB is the problem, imo. It is unneeded when we have a non-proprietary storage upgrade options. Charging a premium price for a storage upgrade is pretty typical these days, but usually it is optional.

And frankly, I didn't see anyone here clamoring for more SSD space for Pro, but folks buying Pro are paying for it whether they like it or not.
I would have traded that extra 1TB for a disc drive and stand instantly if given the choice

Correct, if it's too expensive for you that is fine as the ps5 is still fantastic. You don't need to buy an Audi either.

I agree to the above statement.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Bro, I’m American I don’t understand your Monopoly money. Maybe if you guys were free it wouldn’t be so expensive. Every single person here buys an overpriced product whether it’s a certain food brand, clothing, phone, a nvidia gpu, or some other product. The difference is this is one is not in their price range that they are will to pay for console, but they really want it and it pisses them off. Let’s just be honest, we don’t need to do mental gymnastics trying to justify it.
those euro prices are nothing but a bitchslap to our face, nuff said

those euro prices are nothing but a bitchslap to our face, nuff said

Again, for the thousandth time, the US price doesn't include sales tax or anything comparable to a VAT.

EU is getting shafted a little bit but it's not as much as people think it is.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
t has Zen2 because it doesn't need to have anything better for what its trying to accomplish. And for the majority of games released on the platform, that Zen2 will be enough to do what it has set out to do.
just wrong we already have cpu limited cases and a 300mhz boost will change absolutely nothing. watch the most recent case space marine 2 it drops below 40 fps. thats a huge delta from its 60 fps target. the pro will drop too just in a fancier resolution. zen 2 latency is way to high for modern games.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The one with a disc drive was $499. Still is thankfully. How is $250 more than a digital PS5 and $200 more than a disc-based PS5... double the price?
Do you have blinders on? Do other regions not exist in your reality? The ps5d is 450€ currently, the ps5p will be 800€, so indeed "almost double" the price as the person you replied to said and straight up double when looking at launch prices.

Preseznik

Why are you pretending like the PS4 Pro didn't exist?
That was a Premium product of a similar uplift and yet wasn't 2x the base model price.

That's the point.

Topher

Gold Member
I would have traded that extra 1TB for a disc drive and stand instantly if given the choice

As would I, but Sony knows the markup on that 1 TB is substantially better than the disc drive.

I would prefer to have a single cheaper 1TB version, but between included disc drive or extra storage, I would opt for the extra space.

I'd take the disc drive. Would have been nice to have had a choice.

Eszti

Banned
That was a Premium product of a similar uplift
good joke 1.8 tflops to over 4 tflops vs 10 tflops to at best 18 tflops and lets not pretend its linear more performance but the pro was over 2 times as fast this one is not even half as fast

totally the same

Neolombax

Sure it can be premium, I think the PS5 is premium too. But the PS5 gave me more reasons for an upgrade, hence a purchase.

Premium product with standard controller and the lack lack of disc drive and a cheap stand the launch day PS5 disc version included, so yes, some sort of premium product.

I'm wondering if they will the break the bank including a 8k HDMI cable

People seem to forget that not everything labeled with pro/best/Premium and so on is always worth the price.

In the end there are graphic enhancements, but for 800 i want to see a real difference and not just an update.

Audiophile

The price difference is $300. The actual additional cost to make it vs the base unit and recoup costs is probably less than half that. They could've charged an extra $200 instead and and still made a tidy extra profit on the Pro units while addressing a wider market. Instead they went full on greedy and have likely shaved a few million sales off and soured the brand image.

It's less to do with whether it's premium or not but the extreme they've gone to in price difference as well as misreading the room on various aspects. There's nothing here in terms of costs that really warrants the markup we're seeing. They have every right of course to mark things up as much as they want to make extra profit, but this isn't just a bump, it's a complete departure.

Last edited:
Stop justifying this. If you do, they just gonna keep doing it and make it worst. Hopefully it fails hard. Don’t get me wrong, first month it gonna sell. All your content creators gonna buy it and blah blah.

Mr.Phoenix

Do you have blinders on? Do other regions not exist in your reality? The ps5d is 450€ currently, the ps5p will be 800€, so indeed "almost double" the price as the person you replied to said and straight up double when looking at launch prices.
So I should also read people's minds? Did the person I responded to specify?

Preseznik

good joke 1.8 tflops to over 4 tflops vs 10 tflops to at best 18 tflops and lets not pretend its linear more performance but the pro was over 2 times as fast this one is not even half as fast

totally the same
My point is that the PS5 Pro is nowhere near the performance uplift the price increase wants to suggest.
I'm not sure if you're trying to disagree here or what.

FeralEcho

I remember spending $1000 on an Amp, $2200 on a tv. $1800 on a phone..
But this is what people go crazy on?
Honestly, i dont get it.

I think that video from cerny did a poor job of what this machine will offer. DF were right. Get the feeling some minds will change when we get to see proper comparisons.
How could you name all those things and forgot to mention the Lambo you also bought?

Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

Just because you like to spend your money on overpriced crap doesn't mean that it's justifyiable for crap to be overpriced in the first place.

Not that hard to get.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
So I should also read people's minds? Did the person I responded to specify?
Who gives a shit.
You could've just responded with "yes in some regions it's almost double the price, and that's terrible, but in my region it's not that bad"
Instead you decided to ignore other regions because it didn't fit your response to dunk on the poster otherwise.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Console generations typically last 6-7 years
This will have a 3 year life span, and as you said technology moves on.
It's ain't a premium product, it's an half step update.
If this was the PS6 with a generational leap over the PS5 people my react differently, but the lack Disc Drive is still a problem.
And before the Digital Loyalist chime in, regardless of what released reports say we know the disc edition of the fat sold more and the Slim sold more then the Slim Digital Edition.
And Sony's own games sell double to triple the amount physically.
Sony is misreading the market yet again.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People seem to forget that not everything labeled with pro/best/Premium and so on is always worth the price.

In the end there are graphic enhancements, but for 800 i want to see a real difference and not just an update.
Most "premium" products are in fact not worth the price but again thats all subjective on what people can and are will to pay

MikeM

Gold Member
Premium should involve some guarantees though. Guarantee 60fps.
This is starting to encroach on PC which has no limits from a settings perspective. I know PC gaming isn’t for everyone but i’m concerned that this may lead to a PS3 situation with PS6.

If it was a premium product, it would come with a disc drive, a stand , and a pro controller with hall effect joysticks.
I don't know where you came from to think that being premium means the same as being a bargain. if you think you are being financially prudent you are not buying a premium product.

It doesn't matter what you are willing to pay for, what matter is why they are willing to SELL for. Premium means they have the incentive to overcharge, because at the very least it makes PS5 look cheaper. As far as Sony is concerned there is no down side.

Remember, there is actually no real financial benefit from Sony for most people to buy a Pro; because a Pro owner would pay the same price for games as people buying the ordinary PS5. Your purchase of a Pro does NOT significantly improve PlayStation's profitability. Sony just gives you the option, but they have no reason to convince anyone to upgrade. You literally need to be someone with money to burn.

This is starting to encroach on PC which has no limits from a settings perspective. I know PC gaming isn’t for everyone but i’m concerned that this may lead to a PS3 situation with PS6.
PCs have no guarantees period. i have no idea why you think PCs is where you get Guarantees, where is the magical guarantees coming from for PC gamers?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I agree with you OP, everyone's salty and have forgotten what things cost these days.
The base PS5 is $500.
An extra $200 gets you a significantly better gpu, PSSR, WiFi 7, an extra terabyte of storage, faster RAM, and beefier cooling.

There's no way the PS5 pro was going to be the same price as the base PS5 and then have the base PS5 price lowered like they did with ps4 pro. In fact, they've raised the price of the base PS5 in most territories. This is what things cost these days. People don't seem to realize that it's optional.

Last edited:
It's fair and accurate to call it that, but personally it's disappointing that they didn't lower the base price and bring the Pro down a bit. Seems the better strategy to fight lagging sales is to push a discount rather than seeing how much your base will put up with price gouging. There was an instant ripple of ridicule immediately after launch pissing away even more good will (Sony and MS are doing a great job of that this gen) that better represent that more hardcore gamers that buy shit like this. PS+ increase, $70 games, $500 VR2, $700 pro console, AND no permanent price cuts? Fuck off.

edit: forgot the damn Dualsense increase too.

Last edited:

proandrad

Who gives a shit.
You could've just responded with "yes in some regions it's almost double the price, and that's terrible, but in my region it's not that bad"
Instead you decided to ignore other regions because it didn't fit your response to dunk on the poster otherwise.
Isn’t this the case for every consumer electronic item?

hinch7

I agree with you OP, everyone's salty and have forgotten what things cost these days.
The base PS5 is $500.
An extra $200 gets you a significantly better gpu, PSSR, WiFi 7, an extra terabyte of storage, faster RAM, and beefier cooling.

There's no way the PS5 pro was going to be the same price as the base PS5 and then have the base PS5 price lowered like they did with ps4 pro. In fact, they've raised the price of the base PS5 in most territories. This is what things cost these days. People don't seem to realize that it's optional.
Digital PS5 is $399, regular $500.

$300 difference and another $30 for the stand.

Granted it has a larger APU and needs a bit extra cooling I don't see where that $300 comes from. The BOM cost maybe would've gotten about $100 more than base PS5.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You're not ever getting any sort of guarantee

Best you will get is this being the best place to play console games for the time being

Celcius

°Temp. member
Digital PS5 is $399, regular $500.

$300 difference and another $30 for the stand.

Granted it has a larger APU and needs a bit extra cooling I don't see where that $300 comes from. The BOM cost maybe would've gotten about $100 more than base PS5.
wifi 7 isn't cheap, just compare the price of wifi7 routers vs wifi 6 routers for example
the extra storage costs more, the faster ram costs more, the R&D, etc...

They didn’t show anything “premium” about it yesterday, aside from The ridiculous pricing.
The extra performance is premium, y'all are just salty that better things cost more

and I say this as someone who doesn't even plan to buy one because I know it's optional

Last edited:

PeteBull

Again, for the thousandth time, the US price doesn't include sales tax or anything comparable to a VAT.

EU is getting shafted a little bit but it's not as much as people think it is.
And yet at ps4 launch we got :

PS5-Release-Date-Maybe.jpg

ps4pr0:
581f4ca3dd0895e9548b46a3

ps5 launch price:
50349535038_42fa72f759_k.jpg

and yet ps5pr0 price is so bad for us in europe despite

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
More I think about this, I just disagree that this is a premium product. What this is, in my mind, is an unsubsidized product. Consoles have been sold at cost or a loss for so long that the sticker shock of a product sold for profit is hard to take. This is what happens when a corporation has no competition.

SkylineRKR

The problem with the Pro is that its a PS5 Digital edition. Which Sony offers from 449.

Another problem is Europe, where the base PS5 versions have an 1:1 price with the US, so 449 for the DE as well. Yet the Pro is a whopping 799 over here.

Had they included a disc drive and stand, it would've been a truly premium product and I think the 699 price was kind of justified.

Interfectum

Sony's biggest problem with the PS5 Pro is how they're marketing it. They're asking $699 for a console, but focusing on how much better PS4 games will look on it—missing the mark completely. Here's how I would approach it: showcase three demos of graphically demanding games like Cyberpunk 2077—one running on a standard PS5, one on a $3,000 gaming PC, and one on the PS5 Pro. Invite the press to experience all three firsthand and report back on the differences. Repeat this with other titles that struggle on the current PS5 but run smoothly on high-end PCs with 4090 GPUs. This would position the PS5 Pro as a legitimate competitor to high-end gaming PCs, rather than just a console that can play PS4 games at higher frame rates.

Last edited:

Fabieter

wifi 7 isn't cheap, just compare the price of wifi7 routers vs wifi 6 routers for example
the extra storage costs more, the faster ram costs more, the R&D, etc...

The extra performance is premium, y'all are just salty that better things cost more

and I say this as someone who doesn't even plan to buy one because I know it's optional

Do most people even own wifi7 routers. I would argue being able to play disc is more important for people than a new standard most people don't use yet.

Rayderism

I figure the exorbitant price is mostly to help cover money lost on Concord, and probably the likely failure of Fairgames.

Do I want a PS5 Pro? At the price they're asking, and with no disk drive, it's a pretty hard sell. I never was one to fuss over framerates, so that means little to me. Now the better ray-tracing is very welcome, but is that really enough to warrant putting out $700 on a console that's only going to be relevant for about 3 years? And PSSR....yay, now I can see the ugly women even more clearly.

I don't know man. Just seems like arrogant Sony is back in spades, and they're in full money-grubbing greed mode this time.

Top Bottom