• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to forget that the Pro is premium product

Topher

Gold Member
Sony's biggest problem with the PS5 Pro is how they're marketing it. They're asking $699 for a console, but focusing on how much better PS4 games will look on it—missing the mark completely. Here's how I would approach it: showcase three demos of graphically demanding games like Cyberpunk 2077—one running on a standard PS5, one on a $3,000 gaming PC, and one on the PS5 Pro. Invite the press to experience all three firsthand and report back on the differences. Repeat this with other titles that struggle on the current PS5 but run smoothly on high-end PCs with 4090 GPUs. This would position the PS5 Pro as a legitimate competitor to high-end gaming PCs, rather than just a console that can play PS4 games at higher frame rates.

Nah......nine minute video will do the trick.

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
More I think about this, I just disagree that this is a premium product. What this is, in my mind, is an unsubsidized product. Consoles have been sold at cost or a loss for so long that the sticker shock of a product sold for profit is hard to take. This is what happens when a corporation has no competition.
Plus chip costs are sky high right now

Sony is like you guys want this thing great we arent losing money on each unit sold, pay me

Edit - I still think its a premium product in the sense its going to be by far the best place to play console games

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Do most people even own wifi7 routers. I would argue being able to play disc is more important for people than a new standard most people don't use yet.
I would argue a different perspective here. wifi 7 for example is included and isn't something that can be added on later. Same for the extra performance. A disc drive is one of the few things that can be added on later after the purchase.

Better to include what they must in the box and then make everything optional that isn't absolutely necessary.

K' Dash

wifi 7 isn't cheap, just compare the price of wifi7 routers vs wifi 6 routers for example
the extra storage costs more, the faster ram costs more, the R&D, etc...

The extra performance is premium, y'all are just salty that better things cost more

and I say this as someone who doesn't even plan to buy one because I know it's optional

Marginally better shit zoomed 400% is not worth a x2 price increase, the CPU will bottleneck the FPS.

With the PS4 Pro you got a noticeable jump from 1080p to 1440p or checkerboard 4K, THAT was worth it, THAT was a big jump and it didn’t cost double to buy it.

Imagine showing PS4 Games in your PS5 PRO presentation because you don’t have any flagship PS5 titles, what a fucking embarrassment.

Stop justifying this. If you do, they just gonna keep doing it and make it worst. Hopefully it fails hard. Don’t get me wrong, first month it gonna sell. All your content creators gonna buy it and blah blah.
I don't see the problem, the common theme with most premium products is that it is not really necessary. That you pay more because you want to, not because you need to. PS5 is fine and will remain the base for gaming.

As i said, Sony doesn't care if you don't buy the Pro, they don't actually get more money from you than if you stay on the regular PS5. It is just an option.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Marginally better shit zoomed 400% is not worth a x2 price increase, the CPU will bottleneck the FPS.

With the PS4 Pro you got a noticeable jump from 1080p to 1440p or checkerboard 4K, THAT was worth it, THAT was a big jump and it didn’t cost double to buy it.

Imagine showing PS4 Games in your PS5 PRO presentation because you don’t have any flagship PS5 titles, what a fucking embarrassment.
The cpu is fine. Cerny said he asked devs what they wanted and it was more graphical power for ray tracing and 60 fps. That's what he delivered.
You talk about the PS4 pro going 1080p to checkerboard 4K, but have you seen GT7 running in 8K with PSSR in the CNET video?

Topher

Gold Member
Plus chip costs are sky high right now

Sony is like you guys want this thing great we arent losing money on each unit sold, pay me

Edit - I still think its a premium product in the sense its going to be by far the best place to play console games

Perhaps. And really I have no problem with a company making a profit off their product. That's just business. They just need to do a hell of a lot better sales job than that shit yesterday.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Perhaps. And really I have no problem with a company making a profit off their product. That's just business. They just need to do a hell of a lot better sales job than that shit yesterday.
I can't disagree with that, they better have a much better showing for people on the fence especially

They had me 2 1/2 years ago when I first heard about this machine so they don't have to sell me on it

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

It's 45% better than the PS5 while being almost 100% more expensive. And lacking the disc drive. Its not "premium" when its lacking features that the base model already has.

Value is subjective, but the value here is just ridiculously low for many.
Pretty much nailed it.

ShakenG

How could you name all those things and forgot to mention the Lambo you also bought?

Jim Carrey Alrighty Then GIF by Ace Ventura

Just because you like to spend your money on overpriced crap doesn't mean that it's justifyiable for crap to be overpriced in the first place.

Not that hard to get.
How exactly is it overpriced crap?
And a lambo, what are you on about?
Care to explain how its overpriced because im yet to see 1 person do this.
Dont waste my time with ya childish crap.

Bernardougf

What do you think said Bugatti CPU with improved GPU would have cost if this thing is $700?
Mate you and I were champion a kick ass machine at higher prices ... do you think this is it ? Did you expect this price with the settings you heard ? You were spot on with the expectation for the expecs... so you knew... tell about the price though... you also knew ? Or was it a surprise in the higher side. ?

I've said it in a previous post
The price of the PS5 pro is one problem these Sony cuks like op defending the Ludacris price is a whole another problem.
It's not like they put a zen 4 cpu in it and now asking for 300 more dollars.
Just think for a second u simp bastards if they are now charging 800 euros for a mid gen refresh they will ass rape your wallet with the PS6
Stop sucking big corporations balls whether it's Sony , Microsoft or apple

I think the issue is that for the cost of it it doesn't seem that much premium over the standard PS5. I'm going to wait to see more games running on it before I decide to get it.
Sony did a bad job so far of showing the benefits and the high cost doesn't help at all.

omegasc

yeah, I thought that after the presentation they would have lots of hi-res videos showing the improvements, like 5 min gameplays of multiple games or such. But they are saving all that for later and that is giving too much time to look at that price :messenger_grinning_sweat:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Kinda funny, because rich folks are some of the biggest tightwads on the planet. That's why they are rich.
Unless its something rich folks really want ;)
Mate you and I were champion a kick ass machine at higher prices ... do you think this is it ? Did you expect this price with the settings you heard ? You were spot on with the expectation for the expecs... so you knew... tell about the price though... you also knew ? Or was it a surprise in the higher side. ?
I did know most of the specs though PSSR surprised me when MLiD leaked that

Price wise the whispers kind of in the loop caught wind of $600, not sure what happened

Concords failure hurt more than expected?

Limited Edition Series X pricing?

Maybe Sony just said fuck it lets make a few more bucks on these suckers like this Heisenberg guy

Bernardougf

Unless its something rich folks really want ;)

I did know most of the specs though PSSR surprised me when MLiD leaked that

Price wise the whispers kind of in the loop caught wind of $600, not sure what happened

Concords failure hurt more than expected?

Limited Edition Series X pricing?

Maybe Sony just said fuck it lets make a few more bucks on these suckers like this Heisenberg guy
Yeah by the look of it seems like normal profits + 100$ per console.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yes , I agree , it's a premium product that will let you play at the highest graphical fidelity these awesome Sony exclusives that are coming up.
So first of all, we have, uh.., Until Dawn Remake this fall, what, you're not excited?
Then next year, actually the year after, ND and SSM should release new games.
Premium experience no doubt about it. Sony is delivering on all fronts.
Holy hell does this read like a bought and paid advertisement.

Fbh

Gold Member
I mean ultimately it's an optional upgrade. There are definitely some people acting as if the normal Ps5 was being discontinued or something.
To me it's too expensive and more than I'm willing to spend on a console, but I have no problem sticking with my base Ps5 for the moment

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Its a waste across the board. Its a premium toy when the real premium product is a hardcore PC. It adds nothing in the space and likely increases the cost of development for all multiplatform games. Also the "Pro" moniker is lame. Fuck the apple wanna be shit with Pro phones. I am a professional texter and a professional couch gamer. Lame.

I hope the product doesn't sell well and they regret wasting resources on it. FFS the stream of exclusives on PS5 is a trickle. Who needs to play the 2 games they drop each year on a 40% better machine?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I mean ultimately it's an optional upgrade. There are definitely some people acting as if the normal Ps5 was being discontinued or something.
To me it's too expensive and more than I'm willing to spend on a console, but I have no problem sticking with my base Ps5 for the moment
All of this, people seem to legit feel they will be left behind

I don't blame anyone for sticking with the PS5 and I think its silly people calling others names who are going to buy the Pro

It's better they announced it first than waiting for games that will use its "unique" than to normal PS5 + we are near TGS on this month + Sony not yet announced what games they will use a bonafide product for PS5 pro to play for thus I believe it's just Sony is waiting game right now like we are still searching for next State of Play this month or next month

Yup there is games that announced has enhanced or such but still on gamer point of view it's not worth it to be benchmark for new console

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I don't blame anyone for sticking with the PS5 and I think its silly people calling others names who are going to buy the Pro

Yeah, every one needs to make a choice for themselves and not judge others for doing the same. I very well may end up buying this thing. I'm just not sold yet. Anyone have a problem with that then they will just have to find a way to get over it.

Three

Gold Member
I always supported the Pro ... and advocated even for this kind of price o... but the final product in my eyes is not matching the price... for the 45% perfomance upgrade, with the same outdated cpu, a 300 dollars difference is ridiculous... Maybe some tech guy who knows about price components can break this down and make make sense for me .. because right now .. I dont see the value and dont feel anything "premium" about it.

In fact as posted multiple times.. this price range is getting too close to a good PC build ... and it should not.. with this price it should be equivalent to a great PC build imho
You're not going to get a new CPU in a pro product. What would it be used for? That's a new gen. A midgen only needs higher clocks for framerate.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
When I updated from my base PS4, which I bought at launch, to a PS4 Pro, I managed to sold my base PS4, 3 years after launch, for around 300€.

So in order to get the PS4 Pro, I had to come up with extra 200€. It's acceptable for a mid-gen update.

Fast forward until now. If I sell my launch PS5 (with disk tray) I might get around between the same 300€ or 350€, it depends.

If I went for the PS5 Pro that would mean that I would have to come up, for a mid-generation update, with around 570€ extra.

From 200€ extra to 570€.

This is delusional.

JaksGhost

Same. When they announced the price the first thing I said was, "fuck nah!" and continued playing Alan Wake 2 right after because at the end of the day I still had the capability to play games.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

I don’t care if anyone buys the Pro. I think it’s ok to call out “some” folk that are trying to justify their purchase with some mental gymnastics maneuvers.

dorkimoe

Most premium products come complete with everything you need. This does not. They gave me a choice at ps5 launch and I chose physical now they took that away (I’m not adding a detached drive that’s ridiculous)

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Seems like this gen, Sony made a conscious decision to squeeze their "enthusiast" fans.

$200 controller. $200 remote play device. $5000 PS5 Pro. But they are delivering something for these people.

Last edited:
You can still play your PS5 in this current gen it's just 5pro it's just for those want to be more Unique and whatever advantage will bring on this new console

It's just like Primaris Marines(equivalent of ps5pro) vs Firstborn Marines(PS5) in 40k universe in battlefield it's just same result

PurePlatinum

Neo Member
They launched PS5/XSX at clearly the lowest and most competitive prices they could, and then the inflation of the last few years set in, and totally screwed them.

-PS5 price going up in most regions
-controller pricing going up
-no major price drops even with slim redesign
-expensive new 2TB Xbox Series X

All these were signs that behind the scenes the inflation in their primary markets are absolutely eating their lunch. PS5 Pro was always going to be an expensive piece of kit. PS6/new Xbox will follow the same path.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don’t care if anyone buys the Pro. I think it’s ok to call out “some” folk that are trying to justify their purchase with some mental gymnastics maneuvers.
I am buying it, 2 in fact because I want the best console experience I can get

I guess people can call me out as well
Seems like this gen, Sony made a conscious decision to squeeze their "enthusiast" fans.

$200 controller. $200 remote play device. $5000 PS5 Pro. But they are delivering something for these people.
$5000 PS5 Pro that can outperform a 4090 based PC running Ghost of Tsushima 2 4k 240hz with all the bells and whistles turned on?

jizz in my pants GIF
Shampoo Shredder GIF
protect spider man GIF

Bernardougf

You're not going to get a new CPU in a pro product. What would it be used for? That's a new gen. A midgen only needs higher clocks for framerate.
I didnt say i needed a new cpu... I said that this price hick without a new cpu didnt feel like a premium product to me. I never expected a new cpu for the pro.. I didnt expect 699 either ... 599 for the espec. leaked was my guess ... imho they are at least 100 dollars of the mark.

Top Bottom