• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People seem to forget that the Pro is premium product

OP

SuIO4Nu.jpeg

Wait till you see Death Delivery 2 with massive improvements, using the power of The Big 3. You will be over the moon!

Last edited:
If you're willing to spend £700 on a console you should build a PC. You can build a PC that will run circles around it for a few hundred more. Zen 3 cpu, 32GB RAM, 3000 nvidia gpu, 2TB PCIE 4.0 SSD, a 4K 60hz monitor, keyboard, mouse. You could spend even less if you can grab a cheap keyboard/mouse or if you want to play at 1440p. You could get a good 1440p 144hz monitor if you want higher FPS.

It might be a bit more upfront but to me if you can spend £700 you can afford some more. Plus PC has more freedom and games can be bought much cheaper so in the long run you're saving money.

I tried PC gaming is PIA and I want nothing to do with it.

I don’t care if anyone buys the Pro. I think it’s ok to call out “some” folk that are trying to justify their purchase with some mental gymnastics maneuvers.
There is no mental gymnastics needed; some people have the cash while others have better use for that money. There is no right or wrong decision. You seem to be of the opinion that PS5 Pro is suppose to replace PS5, it isn't.

Look, if you truly didn't care you wouldn't be here being mad about it. if you have no desire to buy it you would not be mad. It is your money, you r life, your time. How you spend it is up to you and no one is arguing one way or another.

Seems like this gen, Sony made a conscious decision to squeeze their "enthusiast" fans.

$200 controller. $200 remote play device. $5000 PS5 Pro. But they are delivering something for these people.
That is literally what fans are FOR. if you become a fan thinking you are going to SAVE money, you are very badly mistaken. Being a fan is about spending money, NOT saving money.

Last edited:

daffyduck

It should if people will buy it.

This is really a matter of the haves and the have nots. You know which one you are if you’re complaining about $700.
Not $700. Add in the disc drive, the stand and taxes. Plus the typical price padding Sony likes to do outside of the US.

Utamaru1706

Neo Member
It's a premium product, sure, but the price is the biggest problem here, since the price is going to be very similar like a when you build a very decent gaming PCs, or when you buy a gaming laptop in many countries.

Like, the PS5 Pro is priced at $699 in the US, but on other countries, the price could easily reach $800-1000 due to several factors, like tax, price hike from the hype, and also scalpers.

Meanwhile, buying the base PS5 is also unattractive, because Sony somehow still refuse to give a decent price cut on the machine, despite the item has been out for 4 years, and they even increase the price on some countries, which is baffling.

This is the reason why many people still playing on their PS4s, or they buy PCs/Laptops instead, since PS5's price is still unreasonably high, and I don't see Sony wants to change it anytime soon...

It's a premium product, sure, but the price is the biggest problem here, since the price is going to be very similar like a when you build a very decent gaming PCs, or when you buy a gaming laptop in many countries.

Like, the PS5 Pro is priced at $699 in the US, but on other countries, the price could easily reach $800-1000 due to several factors, like tax, price hike from the hype, and also scalpers.

Meanwhile, buying the base PS5 is also unattractive, because Sony somehow still refuse to give a decent price cut on the machine, despite the item has been out for 4 years, and they even increase the price on some countries, which is baffling.

This is the reason why many people still playing on their PS4s, or they buy PCs/Laptops instead, since PS5's price is still unreasonably high, and I don't see Sony wants to change it anytime soon...

That's the reality of Moore's Law being Dead (as well as subsidized consoles going away)

Three

Gold Member
The PS4 Pro got a 40% clock increase. This got a 10% increase and only maybe.
Which is probably based on the CPU needs of games to hit stable 60fps. unlike last gen where performance modes on the base weren't really a thing but had to hit it on the pro and PSVR.

Last edited:
People spoke with their wallet (at the launch of the regular PS5 and after) and this is the result. A slight upgrade is now marketed more as a premium product as the 4Pro was. Whereas the 4 Pro replaced the regular which got cheaper, this expands upwards.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People spoke with their wallet (at the launch of the regular PS5 and after) and this is the result. A slight upgrade is now marketed more as a premium product as the 4Pro was. Whereas the 4 Pro replaced the regular which got cheaper, this expands upwards.
I think it's a test bed for future versions of PSSR and we get to pay a "premium" price to be beta testers to perfect this shit for PS6

All of you complaining about the price can thank us later

James Franco Flirt GIF

I think it's a test bed for future versions of PSSR and we get to pay a "premium" price to be beta testers to perfect this shit for PS6

All of you complaining about the price can thank us later

James Franco Flirt GIF
Hundred less I'd have been on this but I can't justify that price on a console, it's the principle rather than the money, hopefully it's worth it for you.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Hundred less I'd have been on this but I can't justify that price on a console, it's the principle rather than the money, hopefully it's worth it for you.
I don't blame anyone, wealthy or not, that passes on this simply because of the price

If this thing would happen to sell way more units than Sony expects that will totally have a bearing on the PS6 price

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I think there is a strong possibility due to the backlash of the £700 price tag, Sony may backpedal on not including the official vertical stand as a goodwill gesture.

I can see people getting the vertical stand for free via PlayStation Direct by emailing across their receipts, or getting it as a free extra when they pre-order on the 26th of September.

Absolutely no way in hell will they inclued the disc drive though in my opinion!

Last edited:

TheTony316

If you're willing to spend £700 on a console you should build a PC. You can build a PC that will run circles around it for a few hundred more. Zen 3 cpu, 32GB RAM, 3000 nvidia gpu, 2TB PCIE 4.0 SSD, a 4K 60hz monitor, keyboard, mouse. You could spend even less if you can grab a cheap keyboard/mouse or if you want to play at 1440p. You could get a good 1440p 144hz monitor if you want higher FPS.

It might be a bit more upfront but to me if you can spend £700 you can afford some more. Plus PC has more freedom and games can be bought much cheaper so in the long run you're saving money.

I could but i don't want to.

I'm a console gamer who wants more performance and the Pro is exactly that.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I agree. Plus people forget that you don't have to buy it. PS4 was perfectly fine after PS4 Pro. PS5 will be fine as well.
Who is saying you have to buy it? Anyone?

People are saying it's a terrible value hoping that Sony will realize this and make different decisions for the future, and they're right to do so.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

It's 45% better than the PS5 while being almost 100% more expensive. And lacking the disc drive. Its not "premium" when its lacking features that the base model already has.

Value is subjective, but the value here is just ridiculously low for many.
Imagine buying a car.

The base model is priced at X. The deluxe model has a better engine and has a few extra option packages added on.

This car is a bit better but costs let’s say 50% more already. but if you add in an another option pack that this deluxe model some reason excludes it is now almost double.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Who gives a shit.
You could've just responded with "yes in some regions it's almost double the price, and that's terrible, but in my region it's not that bad"
Instead you decided to ignore other regions because it didn't fit your response to dunk on the poster otherwise.
Are you insane? How is that my problem is it on me to respond specifically to a general statement? If you say something, and you do not specify, and what you say is interpreted differently based on who listens... its on you. Not the listener.

Like wtf are you here saying? He is right to have said what he said, and I am right to say what I am saying. Both are true. Now if the dude simply said... in such and such place its twice as much... I wt have even replied to him to begin with. And here you are being an ass over me responding based on my own personal experience?

DanielG165

A “premium” product that doesn’t come with the things it needs in order to be fully complete. You have to pay extra for that, in which bumps the price up to $800. This isn’t even mentioning the other things like games and services needed to make the Pro worth anything, which require even MORE money.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A “premium” product that doesn’t come with the things it needs in order to be fully complete. You have to pay extra for that, in which bumps the price up to $800. This isn’t even mentioning the other things like games and services needed to make the Pro worth anything, which require even MORE money.
At least Americans seem to be getting “the best” pricing. Euro pricing is artificially hiked up beyond currency exchange math. And for Canada, system + drive + stand is $1,100 excluding tax.

hinch7

It may be 45% more powerful, but the games won’t be 45% better. Terrible value proposition.
Its not all games either. Current or legacy titles have to be patched with a Pro update; much like the PS4 Pro before it.

Games going forward will ofc will most likely include Pro modes.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Same excuse Apple buyers and RTX 4090 buyers give. Just because a product is Premium doesnt mean it should be sold at that price tag.
People continue to buy them, indicating that they find value in the product.

The iPhone 16 is rumored to sell 90 million units in 2024 alone, with many of these being the 1500 Pro version.

Apple, Nvidia & Sony don't care about what some losers are talking in forums, the real world will dictate how they move forward and by seeing iPhone & Nvidia prices increasing or remaining the same something tells me that the real world is buying those products.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Who is saying you have to buy it? Anyone?

People are saying it's a terrible value hoping that Sony will realize this and make different decisions for the future, and they're right to do so.

It's meant to be a terrible value. It's for people who want what it offers and are willing to spend money on it. So anyone who says it is a terrible value is missing the point. Sony is trying to take a profit from it and get more from people willing to spend more. Like, the 4090 is way overpriced, but on some level, it's meant to be and getting into veblen good territory.

Like, if anything, this is discouraging scalpers and getting the price closer to what people were willing to pay, and I'd rather the money goes to Sony than DipshitSeller420.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It's meant to be a terrible value. It's for people who want what it offers and are willing to spend money on it.

Like, the 4090 is way overpriced, but on some level, it's meant to be and getting into veblen good territory.
Right, and if people don't loudly reject a terrible value like this we'll end up with Nvidia pricing for consoles.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its not all games either. Current or legacy titles have to be patched with a Pro update; much like the PS4 Pro before it.

Games going forward will ofc will likely include Pro modes.
Unless I’m wrong, I don’t think even any VR games are auto boosted. If they all got to be manually patched, good luck expecting games made by small studios bothering with it.

finalflame

Not $700. Add in the disc drive, the stand and taxes. Plus the typical price padding Sony likes to do outside of the US.
I already have a disc drive in my slim, which will go into my Pro, and my now disc-less slim will go in the bedroom. My entire library is digital. I have never in my life setup a console vertically, no need for the stand.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
How is that my problem is it on me to respond specifically to a general statement? If you say something, and you do not specify, and what you say is interpreted differently based on who listens... its on you. Not the listener.
You're on a global forum, if you decide to challenge someone by ignoring the rest of the world because it's not your own region, then that's indeed your problem, because you're creating the problem.

Mr.Phoenix

Why do you guys have to do this... ok how about this. It may be $700 for some, but those people could just as easily buy the base PS5 if they don't already own one.

But if they own one, like me... It could be as little as $300/$400 for them. How? You can (like me) sell your PS5 for $400 and then add $300 on top that to buy the Pro.

The point is, there are multiple ways to look at this, you all need to stop generalizing based on the absolute worst possible situation.

I don't need a disc drive, and I don't even need a vertical stand, I am fine with the plastic stand that comes in the box for horizontal placement. And I am sure there are more people like me out there.

You talk as if everyone wants a disc drive, a stand... and doesn't have a PS5 already that they could always trade in.

NickFire

I'm well aware it is a premium product and don't mind paying extra for a premium experience. Whether I get one will depend on if I am convinced that there will be an actual premium experience. Right now I cannot say there will actually be a premium experience worth the cost. I don't know much about first party plans in the next couple of years. And the price of this thing may be an albatross around its neck. Without sufficient adoption the third parties won't have much incentive to do more than the bare minimum for it.

Mr.Phoenix

You're on a global forum, if you decide to challenge someone by ignoring the rest of the world because it's not your own region, then that's indeed your problem, because you're creating the problem.
Again...

NO.

As you said this is a global forum, so if someone makes a statement that is only true in a specific region, naturally, people not of that region would have no idea what he is talking about.

Either way... he and I are both right. and as for you, all you had to do was point out that he was referring to xyz region... and that would be the end of it. You cannot take issue with me for reading what he said, and naturally applying it to my own personal experience. That's on him, not me. Now if he had specified, or used pounds or euro signs... that would be a different matter.

This has run its course though.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

People are going to buy this thing, and it's the people Sony wants to buy it, and it's the price they want to charge for it. They have no intention of it replacing the PS5 or being a mass market device.
Yes, they will offer the worst value for the most money to the extent that people will put up with it. The trick is to convince them that offering a good value for a reasonable price is the direction you want them to take. And the way you convince them is by collectively opening or closing your wallets. I can see the downvotes on the YouTube Announcement trailer. This is a very unpopular value proposition, and it's another L they didn't need after Concord.
And when the 4090 launched people were lined up hoping to get one
Yes, this isn't a 4090. I think the PS5 Pro will sell out initially, but once the scalpers and diehards have theirs, it's going to become very available very quickly.

The purpose of a console is to be a cheaper but well-utilized all-in-one alternative to a PC. I already have a PC, and I was planning to buy a PS5 Pro. At this price, I might as well just upgrade my GPU instead.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
As you said this is a global forum, so if someone makes a statement that is only true in a specific region, naturally, people not of that region would have no idea what he is talking about.
Yeah, it's not like every single price was listed at the same time during the PS5 pro reveal (and every previous console reveal), I guess you just saw that €800 and saw hieroglyphs instead.

But you're right, this has run it's course, the poster was right.
Good day.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm well aware it is a premium product and don't mind paying extra for a premium experience. Whether I get one will depend on if I am convinced that there will be an actual premium experience. Right now I cannot say there will actually be a premium experience worth the cost. I don't know much about first party plans in the next couple of years. And the price of this thing may be an albatross around its neck. Without sufficient adoption the third parties won't have much incentive to do more than the bare minimum for it.

Exactly where I stand on this. If this doesn't sell in large enough numbers, will third parties even bother with enhanced versions of their games? That's a concern.

Last edited:
Top Bottom