• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 |OT|

Clott

Hmm, I would definitely give it a watch. It's going to be hard to condense everything that happened into 13 episodes, unless they are aiming for 24.

Sophia

Persona 4 anime? By Aniplex? I'm interested. As long as it's not a spinoff.

@_dementia: There was no Persona 3 anime. There was a really really shitty spinoff called Trinity Soul. It sucked in more ways then one.

Havok

watkinzez said:
That, or an anime of the Persona 4 Endurance Run.
vinny-5.png

"BUFU!"

jeff-5.png

"NO DUDE WHAT DID YOU DO!?" (a direct quote!)

vinny-2.png

"Sorry..."

pirata

It seems kinda weird to just now be making an adaption of P4, three years after its release. Perhaps this will be a sort of promotion for future Persona games? After all, we know that Atlus has been working on P5 for a while now...

Also, are there any animation studios that Aniplex is specifically known to be associated with? When I took a gander at the list of shows they've been involved with, I saw several Bones shows. Any other possible studios?

Dresden

pirata said:
Also, are there any animation studios that Aniplex is specifically known to be associated with? When I took a gander at the list of shows they've been involved with, I saw several Bones shows. Any other possible studios?
They back a lot of shit... but it probably won't be Bones. If I had to guess it'll be A-1.

pirata

Dresden said:
They back a lot of shit... but it probably won't be Bones. If I had to guess it'll be A-1.

Looking at their wiki entry...you're probably right. They did the cutscenes for P4 and worked on Trinity Soul.

Bummer.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Luminate said:
If they don't use Pursuing My True Self for the opening again in the anime, I want this as an alternative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6OR3zFkib4
No way, it should be this. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4M-HYusRpQ

pirata said:
Looking at their wiki entry...you're probably right. They did the cutscenes for P4 and worked on Trinity Soul.

Bummer.

A-1's done some awesome stuff like Ōkiku Furikabutte. But yeah, they can be hit or miss.

Go_Ly_Dow

Rahxephon91 said:
I will take a Persona 4 anime if it uses the same music.

Agreed. It's an absolute must!

Also needs to have at least a 22 episode run. There's just so much content to cover and a lot of stuff they would happily cut otherwise.

sfedai0

Banned
Persona and the SMT series have replaced the FF series as THE rpg games to look forward to...though I havent beaten any FF game since 7. That goes for the music too! ANy word if they will do P5 for PS3?

Really hope it's P4P for PSP. If it is P4P I guess there's probably a really good chance that it'll be for 3DS, but it would be the only game I'd be really excited for.

I really loved P3P and I'm borrowing a PS2 from a friend to play P4, but I really prefer the handheld for these games. Being able to walk around the environments is pretty cool the first few times you visit an area, but there really isn't that much exploration (or there hasn't been yet anyway, not sure if that changes later in P4 as I'm not even through the first dungeon), and I don't feel like you're really losing much with the P3P style of interaction.

Even if it's for a system I might not buy right away though, I really hope that it is P4P, couldn't care less about an anime spinoff or whatever.

Sorry for taking this a little bit off-topic, but I'm looking for some opinions, and here is a good place to ask.

I've beat Persona 4, and I adore it; it's one of my favourite games of all time. I now want to play Persona 3, but I don't know which version I should play first; FES or P3P. I own P3P, but haven't started it yet. But I've found a brand new copy of Persona 3 FES on Play.com for just £9.99, which is a fantastic price.

Which would you guys recommend? Is the ability to control your teammates worth the hit in graphics, voices, and presentation?

duckroll

XiaNaphryz said:
A-1's done some awesome stuff like Ōkiku Furikabutte. But yeah, they can be hit or miss.

A-1 is a soulless and meaningless "studio" in the most abstract sense. It is nothing more than a physical space that Aniplex has paid the rent for in an attempt to buy their way directly into actual animation production. Unlike animation studios founded by animators and producers who actually have a creative vision, this is a corporate entity which exists only because Aniplex wants more direct control over some of what they are producing.

Hence there is no real style or vision behind the studio, instead it serves as the animation house for whatever projects Aniplex manages to attract certain freelance creators to on a project contract basis. That's the main reason for the insane fluctuation in their output, and even when they do release good stuff, it never really feels like they "own" it creatively.

Birdy the Mighty Decode is basically Aniplex attracting the Noein team previously working with Satelight.

Welcome to the Space Show is basically Aniplex throwing money at the ROD/Kamichu creators to make a big budget awesome looking movie for them.

The list goes on. I hate A-1 Pictures because of what they represent in the industry. Unfortunately, because Aniplex is very quickly becoming a major player in the industry now, the expansion of A-1 is something no one can really stop. Unless they find it more profitable to simply drop this charade and just work with established studios to make more meaningful projects which have more long-term traction of course.

I love BONES, and Aniplex gives BONES a lot of funding for various projects, so I can't really hate Aniplex. I hope A-1 as a concept eventually fades away though.

Ben2749 said:
Which would you guys recommend? Is the ability to control your teammates worth the hit in graphics, voices, and presentation?

I've finished P3P and am currently working on FES/The Answer and my answer
heh
is definitely to go with FES. Seriously, the lack of cutscenes and even in-game scenes really take a lot of the immersion out of P3P. In hindsight, I wish I never played P3P, the ending for the version was just... not enough to satisfy.

The change in the battle system will be a bit confusing for a P4 vet, but you'll get used to it ;)

Ben2749 said:
It really depends on what you prioritize. At least for me, I played P3 vanilla first, then P4, then P3P. I tried playing The Answer (I do own FES, just never played it), but I don't know if I can get used to not having control over my party members again.

I will say that there are certain scenes that have less of an impact because you're only getting pictures/text as opposed to animated 3d models. Think about your experience with P4 and how important you felt that stuff was.

edit: I see you said "which do I play first" so I'm assuming you're going to play both eventually? If that's the case then definitely play FES first.

Zeouterlimits said:
So do people think it'd be the MC's story, if it is a P4 anime?

Because it would feel pretty weird to have a voiced MC...

the MC has a voice in the games, at least for battles (in P3/Fes/P3P/P4)

thanks for the correct duckrolla

P90

Ben2749 said:
Sorry for taking this a little bit off-topic, but I'm looking for some opinions, and here is a good place to ask.

I've beat Persona 4, and I adore it; it's one of my favourite games of all time. I now want to play Persona 3, but I don't know which version I should play first; FES or P3P. I own P3P, but haven't started it yet. But I've found a brand new copy of Persona 3 FES on Play.com for just £9.99, which is a fantastic price.

For me, controlling characters is important. I went p3p Then caught up on the cutscenes via youtube.

Tamanon

Banned
It seems to me that the Persona 4 anime would work a lot like Bleach when it comes to the fight scenes. If they do it right and keep a lot of the interpersonal stuff, that could work out awesome.

Silh

At first I thought you meant the length of Bleach fights. Made me uneasy. I think I get what you're saying now though.

Also, Rise 4 lyfe

Pirabear

Banned
M_Night said:
Agreed. It's an absolute must!

Also needs to have at least a 22 episode run. There's just so much content to cover and a lot of stuff they would happily cut otherwise.

Totally agree here. Between the murder mystery, slice of life antics, S.links/character development, and the traveling and battling in dungeons, I really don't think the standard 24 episode run will be enough for P4 without rushing or cutting a significant amount out.

sfedai0 said:
Persona and the SMT series have replaced the FF series as THE rpg games to look forward to...though I havent beaten any FF game since 7. That goes for the music too! ANy word if they will do P5 for PS3?

This guy are sick.

P90 said:
Them's fighting words! don't you go dissing my girl. Rise's ok, but I'd take Yukiko (or Chie) any day.

Dat giggle.

Man o man if the original Japanese/English voice cast isn't there I won't bite. Still crossing my fingers for P4P but the anime seems more likely. Whatever more P4 is a good thing for me and a lot of other people. Still regret not picking up that ridiculously expensive Teddie plushie when I was in Tokyo last summer...

Zomba13

sfedai0 said:
I guess this is true for me. I'm looking forawrd to P5 a whole lot more than I am to FFXV, especially after the disappointing 13 and horrid 14.

Tamanon said:
It seems to me that the Persona 4 anime would work a lot like Bleach when it comes to the fight scenes. If they do it right and keep a lot of the interpersonal stuff, that could work out awesome.

I think it'd be more like Shaman King or JJBA for obvious reasons.

Clott

sfedai0 said:
You're so lucky! I wish I could play 8-10 with fresh eyes.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
That's Chie.

Rise>Yukiko>Naoto>Chie

I feel like Chie contributed more to the story with her thoughts that made the party go "oh wait..." than Yukiko ever did.

Also, Kanji = Yosuke > Teddie > Naoto > Chie > Rise > Yukiko (she's still awesome in battle though).

Yaweee

Bel Marduk said:
I feel like Chie contributed more to the story with her thoughts that made the party go "oh wait..." than Yukiko ever did.

Also, Kanji = Yosuke > Naoto > Chie > Rise > Yukiko.

Yeah, Yukiko contributes easily the least to the story. Chie takes a bit of a back seat later in the story, but it is nowhere near as bad as Yukiko.

Bel Marduk said:

Also, Kanji = Yosuke > Naoto > Chie > Rise > Yukiko.

But Chie's Social Link was the least interesting one in the entire game. Yukiko's story was more interesting in my opinion.

Kanji>all, though.

Top Bottom