• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
man i accidentally stumbled onto an Ann Coulter opinion piece (seriously, it was an accident - the article showed up in my yahoo news box, which is generally tailored toward the type of politics I like... but alas) and I had to just quote this part of it for the purpose of the lulz. She is so cute when she is being retarded (just kidding, even then she looks like the skeletal remains of a coke addict):

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/fighting-last-war-220212970.html]Ann Coulter Link If You Really Want To (but who would really want to)[/url] said:
For years after the 9/11 terrorist attack on America, Democrats hysterically bemoaned any military action, especially in Iraq. They claimed to have many precious objections, but the truth was, they thought we deserved the attack -- or at best, both sides were at fault.

So when it came to Obama's pointlessly sending more troops to Afghanistan or foolishly intervening in Libya, some Republicans' first instinct was to demand muscular American military action, forgetting that we are the party that cares about American national security and does not fling troops around the globe just to look tough, as the Democrats do.

This was so in-your-face hilarious that it is surely intentional, but I had to share. It's rare she makes me laugh instead of wanting to curb stomp her.

Tim-E

I have been telling you guys for months, Obama was just waiting on the Election to start and working on his infrastructure. Now that the time has come his warchest is open and operations are a go. Being able to turn out ads in hours and having the email and web presence he does is going to make Romney shit

If people thought that the entertainment ended when the primary ended, they were so wrong. This is going to be wonderful.

Amir0x

Banned
I just hope, hope, hope... that the crazy money some of the Republican PAC people were hinting at never materializes at the level it was being threatened. If single individual big cats start contributing 50,000,000 or 100,000,000 (Sheldon Adelson said he could spend up to 100,000,000 trying to get the Republican nominee into office), it's going to be a horrific campaign for sure

I just hope, hope, hope... that the crazy money some of the Republican PAC people were hinting at never materializes at the level it was being threatened. If single individual big cats start contributing 50,000,000 or 100,000,000 (Sheldon Adelson said he could spend up to 100,000,000 trying to get the Republican nominee into office), it's going to be a horrific campaign for sure

I think it will start materializing actually. Dem Donors will have to step up.

Amir0x

Banned
But who? Many of the big donors for Dems have suggested they want nothing to do with SuperPACs. I'm not sure Dems are going to be prepared for a fight that way.

I also loathe to imagine what a non-capable Democrat is going to do for fundraising, starting 2016. I'm not really concerned about Hillary if it were to be Hillary, but Democrats who are unskilled with the type of fundraising Obama has been doing are in for a slaughtering if they can't compete at the SuperPAC level

You mean the budget shortfalls caused by Medicaid (a program that has been greatly expanded to service more poor people) that has exploded in the past decade?

4552_SOTS2007_4G_medicaid_spending.jpg

Recent stats:

Overall, collective state spending totaled $1.69 trillion in fiscal 2011 and $1.62 trillion in fiscal 2010.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/13/us-usa-states-medicaid-idUSTRE7BC25420111213

Your argument was that poor people were not receiving money (thus incapable of viewing government as 'daddy') from the government because one outdated, ineffective program was not reaching the numbers it once did.

Are you seriously pointing to the rise in health care costs (which benefits investors of for-profit health care services companies) as an increasing benefit for poor people? The rise in Medicaid spending does not mean that the working poor are getting more. It is just costing us more. And this chart does not account for the rise in population, either. As more people exist, more money will be spent on care. Obviously. That also doesn't mean that poor people are getting more.

Yes he has. He's also made many proposals to back that up.

But Romney in that quote is being very specific: he said he's eliminate a department in a past campaign, and his opponent ran against that and won. Therefore, he will not specify what his proposals imply for government cuts in this campaign. This is important, because he's endorsed a plan that will necessitate enormous cuts to government. But he won't say what, so as to not give his opponent ammo.

It's quite the admission.

Edit: this is neat.

http://www.barackobama.com/buffett-rule

Haha, they uploaded footage of Reagan's pro-tax speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUa_hVbyW50&feature=player_embedded

Dunno why they made it unlisted.

But who? Many of the big donors for Dems have suggested they want nothing to do with SuperPACs. I'm not sure Dems are going to be prepared for a fight that way.

I also loathe to imagine what a non-capable Democrat is going to do for fundraising, starting 2016. I'm not really concerned about Hillary if it were to be Hillary, but Democrats who are unskilled with the type of fundraising Obama has been doing are in for a slaughtering if they can't compete at the SuperPAC level

I agree, there is no one like the conservatives Dems have that has pledged to spend pretty much whatever it takes. I think their main hope is someone Hollywood comes their way.

I don't see Dem friendly businessmen wanting to deal with the headaches that will come with financing SuperPACs. And with Unions making it clear they will concentrate more on local races, that option is out too. Though I still expect Unions to spend big for Obama too.

Amir0x

Banned
I agree, there is no one like the conservatives Dems have that has pledged to spend pretty much whatever it takes. I think their main hope is someone Hollywood comes their way.

I don't see Dem friendly businessmen wanting to deal with the headaches that will come with financing SuperPACs. And with Unions making it clear they will concentrate more on local races, that option is out too. Though I still expect Unions to spend big for Obama too.

Speaking of Unions, I'm really glad Obama recess appointed those 3 NLRB members. I'm a supervisor where at work in the Army Depot so obviously I can't unionize, but a group of disabled employees on a special contract are trying to unionize (I used to work with them as a leader when I was moving up, even lobbied on behalf of them in Washington years ago), and apparently a group of disabled workers being allowed to legitimately unionize would be unprecedented. I've been filtering them information they could use to prove their employment is statutory rather than primarily rehabilitative (which would probably jeopardize any future upward mobility I wish to have on this base), so I am really pulling for them. If the case gets past the regional director tomorrow, it'll go to the NLRB... and those 3 Obama recess appointments are probably a good shot to overturn the Brevard Achievement Center case that the shitty Bush board determined.

Jackson50

man i accidentally stumbled onto an Ann Coulter opinion piece (seriously, it was an accident - the article showed up in my yahoo news box, which is generally tailored toward the type of politics I like... but alas) and I had to just quote this part of it for the purpose of the lulz. She is so cute when she is being retarded (just kidding, even then she looks like the skeletal remains of a coke addict):

This was so in-your-face hilarious that it is surely intentional, but I had to share. It's rare she makes me laugh instead of wanting to curb stomp her.
Ann may be entitled to her own opinions, but she's not entitled to her own facts. Virtually every Congressional Democrat voted for the AUMF, and the Iraq Resolution split the Democratic Caucus. Although I wish it were otherwise, Democrats bear culpability for authorizing our woefully misguided military endeavors. Yeah. Her painful, derisory nonsense warrants immediate dismissal.

Amir0x

Banned
i mean you don't need to tell me that twice, I already knew... I just was stopped in my tracks by how brazenly retarded that specific comment was.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh snap, ya'll. Massive potential game changer alert:

"I would say: 'Let's talk,'" he told Fox and Friends, when asked how he would react to a request. "It's not a slam-dunk."

The "he" in question is Herman Cain, and the 'request' is a potential VP request.

This would be the best thing ever.

Oh snap, ya'll. Massive potential game changer alert:

The "he" in question is Herman Cain, and the 'request' is a potential VP request.

This would be the best thing ever.

It will be Paul Ryan or Rob Portman with Rubio having the best outside shot.

Speaking of Unions, I'm really glad Obama recess appointed those 3 NLRB members. I'm a supervisor where at work in the Army Depot so obviously I can't unionize, but a group of disabled employees on a special contract are trying to unionize (I used to work with them as a leader when I was moving up, even lobbied on behalf of them in Washington years ago), and apparently a group of disabled workers being allowed to legitimately unionize would be unprecedented. I've been filtering them information they could use to prove their employment is statutory rather than primarily rehabilitative (which would probably jeopardize any future upward mobility I wish to have on this base), so I am really pulling for them. If the case gets past the regional director tomorrow, it'll go to the NLRB... and those 3 Obama recess appointments are probably a good shot to overturn the Brevard Achievement Center case that the shitty Bush board determined.

And hopefully some steps like that will help spur more outside spending. I see 3 groups Dem SuperPACs can target:
1. Hollywood - is fine with being tied to liberal causes. Mindful of US reputation abroad more than any other group in US.
2. Gay Rights Activists - with organizations like NOM supporting Romney, and the anti-DADT talk, can be a big focus for donations. Question is how much Obama's campaign's reluctance to embrace marriage equality will hurt them.
3. Obscure wealthy Industrialists/Wall Street People - Obama has a few Wall St. backers still left. I don't see famous people (like say Warren buffet, Gates, etc who are probably Obama supporters getting involved), but obscure people who have stepped up in the Republican field might do same for Dems.

Outside Chances:
Wealthy Minorities - An outside chance of wealthy African American celebrities, businessman (like the BET people) providing some decent cash input. Not that these people are billionaires like Adelson.

Major Outside chance (actually, Dems best chance for a single major donor):
George Soros

Romney is lucky the superPACs can take infinite money. I was thinking he could have trouble raising money because:
-It might look like a lost cause, so why bother donating?
-He's not the 'true conservative' the base wanted
-Does a man with $250 Million really need by $20? He can pay for it himself.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Wait...don't those two paragraphs explicitly contradict each other? Or am I missing something.

ToxicAdam

Are you seriously pointing to the rise in health care costs (which benefits investors of for-profit health care services companies) as an increasing benefit for poor people? The rise in Medicaid spending does not mean that the working poor are getting more. It is just costing us more. And this chart does not account for the rise in population, either. As more people exist, more money will be spent on care. Obviously. That also doesn't mean that poor people are getting more.

His assertion was that states were not spending money on the poor since TANF was enacted. But clearly they still are, as spending on medicaid and education has exploded since that time.

The rise in population over a decade cannot account for that much of a rise in spending.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I'm actually pretty sure Ann Coulter is as liberal as Bill Maher and she's the original Colbert. She's smart, funny, and so ridiculously over-the-top that it can't possibly be real.

Amir0x

Banned
Looks like dems blew the lead they gained earlier today with Romney's Ledbetter nonsense
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/04/debuts-on-twitter-to-counter-dnc-advisors-insult/

God how stupid does Hilary Rosen got to be to not understand one of the first rules of politics: never attack a spouse unless the spouse does something really stupid. Ann Romney seems like a nice enough person.

Sometimes I wonder about people in the political arena making elementary school mistakes like this.

Wait...don't those two paragraphs explicitly contradict each other? Or am I missing something.

My two paragraphs or hers? Everything Ann Coulter says usually rounds about and ends up contradicting herself. Now she's trying to convince the world that Romney is a conservative and has always been an ultra conservative, and that anyone thinking otherwise is a silly ridiculous liberal media poopoo head who is blind to all facts but her.

She's such an amazing troll.

Romney is lucky the superPACs can take infinite money. I was thinking he could have trouble raising money because:
-It might look like a lost cause, so why bother donating?
-He's not the 'true conservative' the base wanted
-Does a man with $250 Million really need by $20? He can pay for it himself.

The thing is so clearly now about "how much do you hate Obama?" more than "how much do you love Romney?"

I mean, every conservative I talk to - there is pretty much nothing but conservatives at the Army Depot I work at - says they distrust Mitt Romney and everything he stands for, but goddamn if they'll let that blankity blank (usually some racist shit, 75% of the time I'm talking to these people) become president again.

And whenever I ask why they hate him, they'll usually list a litany of issues that were supported by Republicans no more than five or six years ago, or even directly supported by Romney now. These people have no shame. When I talked to this one guy Gary O'Toole about how The Individual Mandate was originally the Republican alternative to 'government takeover' of health care, the only response I get is that I'm either making it up or that obviously Obama's is missing some essential provision that thus makes it true government take over.

None of it's logical. It's all team colors and Rush Limbaugh's talking points and buzz words cobbled together by certain clever partisans who realize how easy it is to manipulate the masses who are already inclined to believe negatives about someone they dislike and are equally willing to spread those negatives without regard for sourcing or factual accuracy of any kind.

And hopefully some steps like that will help spur more outside spending. I see 3 groups Dem SuperPACs can target:
1. Hollywood - is fine with being tied to liberal causes. Mindful of US reputation abroad more than any other group in US.
2. Gay Rights Activists - with organizations like NOM supporting Romney, and the anti-DADT talk, can be a big focus for donations. Question is how much Obama's campaign's reluctance to embrace marriage equality will hurt them.
3. Obscure wealthy Industrialists/Wall Street People - Obama has a few Wall St. backers still left. I don't see famous people (like say Warren buffet, Gates, etc who are probably Obama supporters getting involved), but obscure people who have stepped up in the Republican field might do same for Dems.

And knowing the Republicans, somehow any big SuperPac donator that donates to Obama will become a huge issue and Obama will magically support all his positions, but any Republican donator who puts $1,000,000 or more into the pot has "no influence of any kind" and "I can't be arsed to control the opinions of my surrogates, why blame me for that racist shit he said?"

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Why does he even have ads? Who is giving him money?

Now? Probably no one. Doesn't mean he didn't have money left. And he can keep spending it because he "suspended" his campaign rather than ended it.

Ever wonder why everyone uses that terminology? :p

So when does Cain reveal himself as some performance artist that has been fucking with the GOP this whole time? My guess is right after the election so he is eligible for next year's Oscars.

Wow the 92% thing looks pretty bad on obama. Given that the explanation takes more than one sentence it's going to be a decent attack by Romney. I hope we get numbers on how many of those women were in government jobs.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow the 92% thing looks pretty bad on obama. Given that the explanation takes more than one sentence it's going to be a decent attack by Romney. I hope we get numbers on how many of those women were in government jobs.

Decent attack? It's an outright fabrication, it's already been dismantled by the press and most reputable media outlets, and it has been declared false by virtually everyone with more than one braincell to rub together. AND it has already lost steam, and it was out in the ether days ago.

If they want to keep trying that one, good luck... I expect Romney's female number to continue its fucked up bottom feeding, until they come up with something better

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes he has. He's also made many proposals to back that up.

But Romney in that quote is being very specific: he said he's eliminate a department in a past campaign, and his opponent ran against that and won. Therefore, he will not specify what his proposals imply for government cuts in this campaign. This is important, because he's endorsed a plan that will necessitate enormous cuts to government. But he won't say what, so as to not give his opponent ammo.

It's quite the admission.

Edit: this is neat.

http://www.barackobama.com/buffett-rule
I am stunned at how quickly the campaign operation has locked in. The rapid-fire issue ads and the incredibly accessible, straight up brilliant web design (not a single piece of the Buffet Rule calculator/associated pages are Flash. All jQuery and css stuff) are leading me down some interesting philosophical paths.

If you'll indulge me for a bit I wanted to talk about the pattern I'm starting to notice about internet content in general when it comes to the election.

I called that Romney would be the nominee back in, I don't know, October. Made $20 off of it actually. But I've maintained that it would be a close election unwaveringly since then, up to and including now. I've always thought that the difference made would be that this time, having known who they were running against for four years (rather than a matter of months in an election with no incumbent), the Republican campaign machine would kick into gear and be its old, embarrassingly effective self, putting the ability of Democrats to get out a clear message with broad appeal to shame and generally making the party look bumfuzzled.

But what I'm starting to suspect is that outside of the high-profile campaign trail, and all the glitz and flash of the debates, and shots of Obama on Air Force One juxtaposed with shots of Romney playing polo with golden mallets on Lipizzaner stallions or whatever he does... outside of all of that, there's going to be a silent campaign, a campaign that isn't frequently discussed out loud in public or even on TV ads, a campaign focusing on a vast audience of politically untethered, apathetic or independent voters, a campaign catering to people who spend a whole lot of time on Facebook and Youtube, on a scale that makes the efforts of 2008 look like a beta test.

And whether or not the Democratic party comes out of the high-profile campaign looking as good as they possibly could, and whether or not Romney's team manages to really step it up a notch in the debates... one thing I'm going to call is that the Democrats will win this silent campaign. Their efforts on the internet will be quicker to the punch, more targeted and effective and just cooler than those put forth by the Republicans. And maybe it's not the kind of thing that can make a difference in an election yet. But I have a feeling the results of this election will give us some insight on that count. Even if they wind up losing the election, I wager it'll have an impact on future ones.

Let me just give you some quick examples from the web.

As I said, I very much enjoy the Buffet Rule calculator linked above. Even regardless of what it advocates in terms of policy and politics, it's just a cool, well-designed web page. It gets its point across quickly; there aren't a lot of areas for input, so you don't mouse-hunt at all; it conveys the message to you with animation and at a pace decided by the people who made the page- not, please note, your reading speed, or more likely (let's be honest about our audience), your attention span. And it combines these elements (brevity, a friendly interface, and animation/timing) without requiring any outside plugins or third-party software. This stuff might not seem notable to you at all, but please bear with me.

Let's take a look at Romney's site. Make no bones about it: it looks good! It's very similar to Obama's site. A red, white and blue theme, lots of content areas with rollover effects, and a top drop-down navigation menu.
BmBXJ.png

Even the use of a stylized logo image in place of the candidate's full name in web-centric ways is the same, as seen in their Chrome tabs:
6bOsD.png

A stylized letter with a flag theme that attempts to make the candidate into a brand. Good stuff.

But if we dive a little deeper into the site- let's take the first featured content item, about how terrible Obama was for women in the economy.

6TRtS.png

Now bear in mind this is the thing they most want you to click on when you hit the homepage. It gets a giant spotlight graphic.

Well... it's an infographic. And it's fairly well-done, I guess. It's pretty generic, with the little red people, but it's clean and all very "Web 2.0" and it's certainly nicer than a wall of text. But the page itself is sort of a disaster. I'll give them a pass on the header font... it's atrocious to me but I've given up trying to convince myself that the kind of audience we're talking about cares about fonts. But the graphic in itself is stuck in an iframe being loaded in from Scribd, which is a third party social media publishing website.

Scribd's logo and controls appear at the bottom, but that's a whole other can of worms. I just want to call your attention to how terrible this page is to use. It's designed so that the vast majority of content is "below the fold"- you must scroll down to see what the page is trying to show you. But as soon as you start scrolling down, your focus gets hooked into the frame with the infographic, and it starts scrolling that instead of the rest of the page. Adjusting where you are on the page so that you can see most of the frame at once is tricky enough, but then when you scroll to the top of bottom of it, you immediately jump back to scrolling the full page. It is just weird. It's much easier to read this infographic comfortably if you're not on the Romney website, which is a little hilarious. The page just doesn't work like you expect it to; and now you're putting a lot of faith in your internet reader to not just click the back button before even getting the message you want across. Again, this might not seem like a big deal at all to you, but just keep this stuff in mind.

Let's look at another page, and compare and contrast. Here's Romney's page on taxes; you can get there from anywhere including the homepage by going to Issues -> Tax.

m8i5n.png

Again from a design standpoint we basically have a disaster. This is what I can see on my fairly high-res monitor. There's more than twice as much text to go as you see here that you have to scroll down for. Yet even though you must scroll to see the actual page content, there's all kinds of crap you can get to right from here. Social media icons. Download the PDF of the plan for tax recovery. Jump over to some commentary from a CEO. A "choose an issue" dropdown even though that exact dropdown is available at the top on every page...

9EUgd.png

It's just a mess. Here's what you see on a similar chunk of screen on the equivalent page on Obama's site:

xkPLR.png

When looking at the design of the two side-by-side, I feel almost a sense of shame or personal embarrassment. Somewhere out there is the web designer for Romney's pages, and he puts in an honest day's work, I'm sure, and we'd probably even get along. But his whole official campaign website reeks of amateur, shoddy design one layer beneath the glossy exterior.

Obama's page uses the vertical space I can see on my monitor flawlessly. Instead of a dropdown, it breaks out the issue links horizontally so you can get to them with one click. Still, sacrificing vertical space like that is risky... except... all of the page content is visible in the image above. That's the whole thing, above the fold. There's no more text if you scroll down. And there's room enough for that big, spacey, centered, header complete with the goddamn signature of the President of the United States. Most importantly, though, is that before there's even text content at all, given a huge amount of screen space is a "call to action"- an opportunity for your reader to do something besides passively reading your page. This isn't a newspaper, you can sign up right now to endorse the Buffet Rule if you want to. Also note the eye-catching use of bold in each paragraph, like we do when we post a news story and want to make sure even the people who are barely paying attention can still get the good bits. Look back at Romney's page, consider that there's a page and a half more of text like that, and "TL;DR" starts to come to mind. The content on Obama's site is just better, from schematic to execution.

So finally, what is below the fold on Obama's tax page? Well, remember those social media icons on the top right of the Romney pages, under the somewhat uninspired phrase "Share This"? Well, the Google+ icon is a weird shape and that looks odd, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with them, right?

Wrong as hell.

5aGd9.png

It's just so bad, and so bizarrely bad to do this on an official campaign website. The purpose of the entire website is to deliver the candidate as a brand- something that is easily remembered for what it is and consistent in presentation throughout. Why use the stock official logos of Facebook, Twitter, and that bizarre half-icon for G+, when you can use custom logos of infinite design? Why give way, way more established brand icons prime screen real estate on your website? Those icons immediately become the most recognizable thing on the page! It just boggles my mind.

What should you do instead?

6OKyE.png

Look, I know by this point I've bored the crap out of you, but hopefully you're starting to see what I'm pointing out. And the important thing is, I believe this is all indicative of something larger. Something deeper and more basic; a difference between the two campaigns. I'm not saying Romney's site is unusable or even bad, by any metrics. I'm saying that I keep feeling, with each of these new issue ads on Youtube, with each live, razor-sharp stream from the White House website, with each page compared between the two campaigns... I keep feeling that Obama's silent campaign is one, two, a handful of steps ahead of Romney and the best they can hope to do is catch up. Obviously I don't think that these little website quirks are going to have a huge impact on the outcome of the election.

But a few steps is all it takes.

Didn't take too long to get some figures. Since January 2009 til now, 540k government jobs were cut. The total is 740,000 in all industries. At least by my count.

Women dominate government jobs. They represented 444k of those 540k job losses.

Of course, some industries got hurt and other recovered. But state and local governments have cut education spending and that's where a lot of women lose jobs.

And by the time election rolls around, these numbers won't matter nearly as much:

FKE28.jpg

LDM6C.jpg

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/job-growth-isnt-just-a-womens-issue/

cv4PO.png

LOL. Really, Mitt? All of recorded history? You sure about that? Because I remember there was a time in recorded history, known as most of recorded history, where women weren't even allowed to have most jobs...

Amir0x

Banned
cv4PO.png

LOL. Really, Mitt? All of recorded history? You sure about that? Because I remember there was a time in recorded history, known as most of recorded history, where women weren't even allowed to have most jobs...

they were allowed to whore. Isn't that enough? ;)

/sarcasm

well atleast the Romney campaign found something to stick too, rather than just saying we dont hate women etc

and that Ann Romney comment is blowing up all over twitter now, shes on fox news today. And expect the "war on housewives" gop ads anytime now, lol well done Rosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom