• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, and to add - I know I've been beating this particular drum lately, but I wanted to toss this in one more time (then I'll chill for the month). Gallup's economic confidence measure continued to spike up today, which I think is in response to the Friday jobs report. Josh Marshall made a similar observation on the measures of Obama's handling on the economy, which improving rapidly; the related consumer confidence measure is also reflecting the swing. While I believe the ongoing primary is helping to damage the Republican candidates in the eyes of the public (as evidenced by their favorability rating swings), it's the public's confidence in an improving economy that is buoying Obama and Dems in general.

So long as that holds, Obama will be re-elected, and Dems have a solid shot at re-taking the House. If it falters, so do their chances.
I think it's weird how Gallup's unemployment rate keeps going up, but from what I understand that usually doesn't have much correlation to the actual numbers.

Plus as long as job creation remains high like in January, it shouldn't matter if it's just a factor of the discouraged unemployed re-entering the workforce.

GhaleonEB

I think it's weird how Gallup's unemployment rate keeps going up, but from what I understand that usually doesn't have much correlation to the actual numbers.

Plus as long as job creation remains high like in January, it shouldn't matter if it's just a factor of the discouraged unemployed re-entering the workforce.

Aye. I disregard Gallup's economic meausures such as employment, as they do not track closely to the actual reported data. Different methodology, and it's not seasonally adjusted. Their reading of economic confidence has been tracking closely with other measures such as consumer confidence and Obama's approval rating on the economy, which is why I look to it.

The unemployment rate does matter a bit, I think. If for no other reason that the self-reinforcing feedback loop between the news and public behavior. Good news tends to improve confidence, and our media do put too much emphasis on the actual rate. And that is setting aside its use as political ammo, of course.

Chichikov

NASA, I was watching a documentary that showed them making progress on every one of those problems.

Where did you get the idea that NASA isn't funded, and are not currently developing solutions for manned space travel?
NASA isn't currently funded for the manned space exploration programs they wanted to do.
Moreover, I believe that there is a correlation between the level of funding and the level results you can expect from them.
We currently spend 0.48% of the federal budget on NASA.

Innovation comes from the Private Sector, and the Government, its silly to think otherwise.

The private sector has a huge opportunity for innovation when it comes to space craft, and manned missions. In my opinion.

GhaleonEB

Innovation comes from the Private Sector, and the Government, its silly to think otherwise.

I don't think anyone is making an either/or argument. The issue is what the appropriate level of goverment funding is. I think there's ample evidence to suggest increased goverment funding of NASA would yield significant innovations and returns.

Back to Romney for a sec - Josh Marshall nails it in this observation:

Today Mitt Romney is arguing that there were attacks from Rick Santorum this week that he didn't get a chance to rebut -- thus in some way explaining his three defeats on Tuesday night. But I see a different pattern. It's not unusual for also-rans to opportunistically pick up a caucus here and there, even when there's a more or less anointed frontrunner. And it's true Romney didn't campaign or spend aggressively in those states. But the frontrunner, already prepping for the incumbent, shouldn't need to go full court press just stave off resounding defeats at the hands of a palpably second or third tier opponent. It looks more like Mitt Romney -- at least in this cycle -- is a sort of electoral Bubble Boy, unable to exist in the natural political environment without a protective layer of massive SuperPAC spending.

For this reason I expect the Super PAC spending will flood all of the races now, and will not leave Romney unprotected as they did last night.

Chichikov

The private sector has a huge opportunity for innovation when it comes to space craft, and manned missions. In my opinion.
There is definitely room for the private sector in space exploration, but it's important to remember that the Apollo program cost close to $200bil (in 2012 dollars), I don't think the private sector can bear this type of risk.

Do you think Super PAC's will ever go away?
Not without serious campaign finance reform. Thanks to the Supreme Courts Citizens United ruling (which basically created them 2 years ago) they are now entrenched enough that we may even need a Constitutional Amendment to get rid of them. That or another Supreme Court case to revoke it much like with happened with Jim Crow laws.

NASA isn't currently funded for the manned space exploration programs they wanted to do.

Because those would have to be proven to have acceptable risks for anyone to be sent on those missions. Maybe we'll have a budget for those missions when we can accomplish them. Until then, they have enough funding for R&D, at the very least.

markatisu

Today Mitt Romney is arguing that there were attacks from Rick Santorum this week that he didn't get a chance to rebut -- thus in some way explaining his three defeats on Tuesday night. But I see a different pattern. It's not unusual for also-rans to opportunistically pick up a caucus here and there, even when there's a more or less anointed frontrunner. And it's true Romney didn't campaign or spend aggressively in those states. But the frontrunner, already prepping for the incumbent, shouldn't need to go full court press just stave off resounding defeats at the hands of a palpably second or third tier opponent. It looks more like Mitt Romney -- at least in this cycle -- is a sort of electoral Bubble Boy, unable to exist in the natural political environment without a protective layer of massive SuperPAC spending.

For this reason I expect the Super PAC spending will flood all of the races now, and will not leave Romney unprotected as they did last night.

That might be but the fact they have to do this at all is ridiculous. I mean hooray for them to waste their money

I think its laughable that he is using the excuse that he did not get the chance to rebut, its Santorum for christ's sake.

I don't think anyone is making an either/or argument. The issue is what the appropriate level of goverment funding is. I think there's ample evidence to suggest increased goverment funding of NASA would yield significant innovations and returns.

Many Republicans are making the argument that the Government doesn't assist in innovation.

Chichikov

The space station is something that's helping NASA work on solutions with keeping astronauts alive in space for long periods of time.
And we spent a whooping 70mil a year on that (probably less, this how much of the ISS budget don't go toward operational costs).
We spend more on that in Afghanistan.
In a single day.
By 10am.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Is The White House Caving On Contraception?
EVAN MCMORRIS-SANTORO FEBRUARY 8, 2012, 5:45 AM

barack-obama-hillary-cropped-proto-custom_28.jpg

Headlines on White House thinking didn’t look good for women’s health care advocates Tuesday night. But one advocacy group tells TPM that they’re not worried about what’s being reported as a serious shift from the Obama administration on a edict that requires all health insurance plans to provide birth control to women who want it.

The issue has become a firestorm in the presidential race, with Mitt Romney attacking Obama on it last week amidst improving economic news. Republicans and leaders of the Catholic Church have called on Obama to change the rule, allowing religious-run hospitals, universities and the like to deny their employees birth control coverage based on their religious tenets.

At first, Democrats and the Obama campaign responded by pointing out what they called Romney’s hypocrisy on the issue. They reacted quickly, pumping out tale after tale of Romney’s seeming flip-flop on the issue of contraceptive requirements. A Feb. 3 Boston Globe story, “Romney shifted on ‘conscience’ issue,” was a favorite in those early emails. The Obama campaign turned the story into an infographic, detailing how rules Romney oversaw while governor of Massachusetts when it came to insurance plans offering contraceptives were similar to the new federal rules he’s attacking Obama for.

Eventually, Romney’s Republican opponents grabbed onto this idea, and by Tuesday, Romney was under attack from Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich along the same lines as he was from Obama.

Women’s groups reacted by backing the White House, pushing out polls that showed a broad-based support — even among Catholics — for the White House plan. They said the plan was a political win for Obama, something that would solidify support with women and progressives.

On Tuesday, however, the White House appeared to buckle under the Republican pressure. “In a shift, the White House to seek to allay concerns of religious employers on birth control order,” the AP reported. “White House Signals Willingness to Compromise On Contraception Controversy,” said ABC. The gist, from both organizations: The White House was planning to use a built-in one year waiting period on the new rules for religious groups to strike a new deal that could allow them an out from the new rules.

It was a surprise for observers of the process, who expected the Obama administration to hold its ground. But one prominent group of women’s reproductive health advocates suggested the reports from the White House — which essentially centered on public statements from the White House Press Secretary and Obama campaign advisers on TV Tuesday — were being overblown, and were really just focused on the one-year implementation period that had already been agreed to.

The White House “stood strong,” the group said, “because it’s good health policy.” They noted the line from the ABC News story that any deal between the White House and religious groups “would ensure that women have health insurance that fully covers contraception while also allaying concerns of religious organizations that oppose birth control.”

It’s groups like these that Obama would risk criticism from if a real deal to undo the edict was on the table. But with them still on board — at least with news about a compromise still trickling out — the White House may be able to avoid the ire of the left while trying to allay the concerns among religious groups.

##################

Interesting......so what do you guys think about will end up happening? Deal or no deal?

Oh man, he hits it right on the head. The money is going to pour in for Romney over the next few weeks as we wait for Michigan/Arizona, and he'll probably win them both. But it's clear this guy is far from a strong candidate, and would be getting creamed if there was a legitimate challenger in the race.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Oh man, he hits it right on the head. The money is going to pour in for Romney over the next few weeks as we wait for Michigan/Arizona, and he'll probably win them both. But it's clear this guy is far from a strong candidate, and would be getting creamed if there was a legitimate challenger in the race.

Or even if Citizens United did not happen.

Allard

The space station is something that's helping NASA work on solutions with keeping astronauts alive in space for long periods of time.

Speaking of which... this was just posted today. (Although the article contents might be older, don't know)

http://gizmodo.com/5882725/the-miraculous-nasa-breakthrough-that-could-save-millions-of-lives/

The Miraculous NASA Breakthrough That Could Save Millions of Lives

There are no hospitals in space. The closest E.R. is back on Earth, and astronauts can't exactly jump in a cab to get there. So what happens if the sun burps out a massive blast of radiation while an astronaut is space-amblin' by?

The NASA Biocapsule—made of carbon nanotubes—will be able to "diagnose" and instantly treat an astronaut without him or her even knowing there's something amiss. It would be like having your own personal Dr. McCoy—implanted under your skin. It represents one of the most significant breakthroughs in the history of medicine, and yes, it'll work on Earth, too.

Out of all the amazing things we saw during our NASA visits, nothing blew our minds as much as this tiny little bundle of carbon. The Space Biosciences Division at NASA Ames creates medical technology for astronauts. They essentially provide healthcare for outer space. Dr. David Loftus is the man who invented the NASA Biocapsule and has been awarded a patent for it.

Picture this: An astronaut is going to Mars. The round-trip journey will take between two and three years. During that time, the astronaut will not have access to a doctor, and there's a lot that can go wrong with the human body in space. So, prior to launch, the astronaut is implanted with a number of NASA Biocapsules. A very small incision is made in the astronaut's skin for each Biocapsule (probably in the thigh), which is implanted subcutaneously. It's outpatient surgery that requires only local anesthetic and a stitch or two to close the wound. But after it's complete, the astronaut's body is equipped to deal with a whole host of problems on its own.

One of the primary threats in space is exposure to high levels of radiation. When astronauts travel beyond Low Earth Orbit (i.e., to the Moon or Mars), they are at risk of acute radiation exposure from "solar particle events," sudden releases of intense radiation from the sun, which can damage bone marrow and wipe out someone's immune system. That's where the NASA Biocapsule kicks in: It could be filled with cells that sense the increased levels of radiation and automatically disperse medicine to help the body compensate.

There is more 'earth' applications in the linked story. If it works as good as they say it will, it will make a a lot of medical treatments significantly more comfortable, safer and all around cheaper for just about everyone, it also paves the way for medical practices that usually require several trips to a large medical facility a month to be done automatically at home without needing to see a doctor which in itself dramatically cut costs of healthcare for a great deal of the populace.

GhaleonEB

Many Republicans are making the argument that the Government doesn't assist in innovation.

To clarifiy, I was referring to the people engaged in the conversation in this thread, not to the GOP. I do not think the kind of argument you reference is even worth addressing.

ToxicAdam

Gallup has congressional approval at 10 percent and disapproval at 86 percent.

Obama can just run against the House, he doesn't even need to address Romney in the GE.

Can someone tell me why some Super PACs are having to disclose their contributions and others aren't? I thought the point of them was so that you can take unlimited, anonymous contributions without having to report any of it.

What's going on?

ToxicAdam

When Tim Pawlently dropped out of the presidential race he reported $435,542.53 in debt in the third quarter, largely due to his expensive attempt to compete with Michele Bachmann in the Iowa Straw poll.

On September 12 however, Pawlenty endorsed Mitt Romney. He subsequently raised over $338,000 for his suspended presidential campaign in the fourth quarter.

Pawlenty's FEC report shows healthy donations from familiar Romney donors -- employees of Bain Capital ($2500), Bain and Company ($2500), Goldman Sachs and Company ($12,500), Goldman Sachs Group ($2500) and Marriott ($5000).

Some endorsements are worth more than others. Turned out this one was worthless.

Here

Evan McMorris-Santoro February 8, 2012, 2:58 PM 10936 194

Pro-choice Republicans are begging their party to drop this fight over contraception before it’s too late. Turning to a discussion about access to birth control will be nothing short of a disaster, they say.

The new and unexpected war over contraception may not end up as only a battle between the White House and the Republican party. It could end up as a fight between the GOP and itself. As we saw during the 2011’s push to defund Planned Parenthood — when some Republican Senators rebuked their colleagues in the House for attacking the organization — Republicans on Capitol Hill do not speak with one voice on matters of women’s health. Now, as Speaker John Boehner seemingly prepares to turn the House GOP’s attention to contraception, pro-choice Republicans are warning that the GOP may become the next Komen For The Cure.

“I think this week’s outrage over the Komen decision should be a warning to the Republican party about how quickly there was a mass outrage over further and further attacks on general women’s health,” Kellie Ferguson, executive director of Republican Majority for choice, told me Wednesday. “You could see the same backlash on attacks on contraception.”

Ferguson calls the Republican rhetoric on contraception “crossing the line” — taking the discussion away from choice issues (where Republicans can find some broader, if still national minority constituency) and into the realm of the fringy extreme.

“For the last number of years, we in the pro-choice community in general — and we specifically as Republicans — have been saying as this pandering to a sort of social conservative faction of voters continues, you’re going to see the line pushed further and further and further,” she said. “And we’re now crossing the line from discussion of when we should regulate abortion to when we should now regulate legal doctor-prescribed medications like birth control, which is woven in the fabric of society as an acceptable medication.”

She pointed to widely-reported polling showing that a majority of Americans — and a majority of Catholics — support the White House policy and urged her party to take a step back before it’s too late.

A high-profile debate over contraception will only serve to alienate voters and deny Republicans the White House in the fall, Ferguson suggested.

“There’s a big leap between people who vote at a Republican caucus and the majority that will vote in a general election,” she said. “I think pigeon-holing the party as against women’s health in general not only hurts the party, but it hurts our key candidates.”

Interesting.

markatisu

We're talking about Obama here.

Obama "I propose something new"
GOP: "but..."
Obama: "I stand in my resolve"
GOP: "the thing is..."
Obama: "Ok, fine we'll do what you want"

I am not so sure, given the firestorm that happened last week with Susan Komen

Finanical issues that go over most people's heads he can easily waver, anything that pertains to women's reproduction is something he can nail opponents asses to the wall over

Zzoram

something like 98% of all women use birth control at some point in their life, religious or not

all these religious extremists fighting birth control are fighting a lost cause

something like 98% of all women use birth control at some point in their life, religious or not

all these religious extremists fighting birth control are fighting a lost cause

That's what I don't understand, contraception is not abortion in the eyes of the American public. This is an issue among extremely religious men and few else.

Depending on how the GOP performs in November in both chambers and the Presidency, this fleet of GOP congress members could exemplify and be used as a political science case study exactly what NOT to do. Now obviously they're betting that Obama will cave, thereby giving them the cover for this new assault but if he doesn't it's very possible that the backlash against Kormen could bite them in the ass too.

First they came for the My Little Pony thread
and you did not speak out because you were not bronies

Then they came for the K-pop thread
and you did not speak out because you were not pedos.

Then they came for the Dark Souls thread
and you did not speak out because you were not masochists.

Then they came for you
and there was no one left to speak out for you :(

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
First they came for the My Little Pony thread
and you did not speak out because you were not bronies

Then they came for the K-pop thread
and you did not speak out because you were not pedos.

Then they came for the Dark Souls thread
and you did not speak out because you were not masochists.

Then they came for you
and there was no one left to speak out for you :(

I love everything about this post.

Puddles

Banned
I just want to know how the hell K-Pop fans are pedos. None of the girls are underage, and they don't look underage either.

Giard

Hey PoliGAF, I was looking for a website that has already been posted here before...you could check every US candidate's positions on important matters, backed with quotes. I believe the website was mostly red, but I may be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

DasRaven

Yeah I did it.

It went: Gary Johnson, Obama = Roemer.

Who's Gary Johnson? That one Republican who supported the legalization of pot on John Stewart?

Yes, Johnson was running in the GOP primary and was widely ignored. He later accepted the nomination of the Libertarian party.

So, once Ron Paul is (officially) defeated in the GOP primary, his supporters should flock to Johnson and give the Libertarian party a nice uplift this cycle.
Unless, of course, they were just pro-legalization Republicans in which case, they'll sheepishly return to the R-Money fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom