• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

Post this on all your FB pages pls:

TwhmT.png

This is amazing!

First they came for the My Little Pony thread
and you did not speak out because you were not bronies

Then they came for the K-pop thread
and you did not speak out because you were not pedos.

Then they came for the Dark Souls thread
and you did not speak out because you were not masochists.

Then they came for you
and there was no one left to speak out for you :(

Ha, nice.

I.

Uh.

WHAT?

Wouldn't this be kind of bad for Republicans? Why would they sponsor this bill?

I'd assume because they want to set a precedent to allow a republican president to do the same.

I have one question though: If the president line-item vetos something , and then in the house revision something extra is put in that section bill, will the president be able do to another line-item veto of said section without having to veto the extra thing put in that section?

Why would they sponsor this bill?

Clearly its some type of trojan horse. Burn it with fire just to be sure.

And despite all efforts by the GOP to blow up rail transportation in the US, some good news

Amtrak passenger trains sped up to 110 mph for the first time Tuesday in western Michigan and northern Indiana on two routes serving Chicago, officials announced.

The faster service, which is the first expansion of regional high-speed trains outside the northeastern U.S., is occurring on about 80 miles of a 97-mile stretch of Amtrak-owned track between Kalamazoo, Mich., and Porter, Ind.

Sustained operations at 110 mph on the 80-mile section in Michigan and Indiana will cut 10 minutes off the 95- mph schedules and about 20 minutes off the 79 mph speed that Amtrak trains operated at as recently as 2001, officials said.

Future steps include expanding 110 mph service from Kalamazoo to central and eastern Michigan, officials said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...-in-indiana-michigan-20120207,0,4358163.story

Mike M

Nick N
I have one question though: If the president line-item vetos something , and then in the house revision something extra is put in that section bill, will the president be able do to another line-item veto of said section without having to veto the extra thing put in that section?
I don't know if this bill would allow changes outside of approving/disapproving the line item vetoes, but if they are, my understanding is that what comes back to the president is considered a brand new bill to be line item vetoed again.

House votes to give the president line-item veto.

Tries to work around the previous SCOTUS ruling against it by having any use of it sent back to congress for reapproval, then the president signs the new bill.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIDERRSSSS (I think you'd have to be part of street fighter IV gaf to get this, and even then it's a stretch.)

I can't see why the house would want the president to have a line item veto, though--that deprives them of the leverage they'd need to cause government shutdowns, if I'm grasping the concept correctly.

Mike M

Nick N
RIIIIIIIIIIIIDERRSSSS (I think you'd have to be part of street fighter IV gaf to get this, and even then it's a stretch.)

I can't see why the house would want the president to have a line item veto, though--that deprives them of the leverage they'd need to cause government shutdowns, if I'm grasping the concept correctly.

Maybe they just think they've got the election in the bag

Tawpgun

Innovation comes from the Private Sector, and the Government, its silly to think otherwise.

The private sector has a huge opportunity for innovation when it comes to space craft, and manned missions. In my opinion.

Government is responsible for breaking into the frontier. They go in first.

Private sector comes in later and makes it better.

CPAC this weekend will be speech after speech about "Obama's war on religion". When will these idiots look at a poll and see they are losing this issue? I hope Obama doesn't back down.

Averon

Gallup has congressional approval at 10 percent and disapproval at 86 percent.

Obama can just run against the House, he doesn't even need to address Romney in the GE.

10 percent approval. Wow. What are the chances the GOP may lose their House majority? I'd imagine, at 10 percent approval, the odds aren't in the GOP's favor.

thefit

Chances go up as the economy "gets better" although I fear the Iran situation getting out of hand and the subsequent spike in gas prices (which are already heading up again) could change that.

10 percent approval. Wow. What are the chances the GOP may lose their House majority? I'd imagine, at 10 percent approval, the odds aren't in the GOP's favor.
90 percent!

Incidentally, YouGov has Obama leading Romney by 12 points, 51-39. That's a pretty wild margin, and while it is an internet pollster, they were very accurate in 2010 (better than PPP, tied with SurveyUSA). Their methodology is a little weird but they seem to get the baseline results down.

It has to be an outlier, but hey, a poll's a poll. Nice having it swing our direction for once (compared to Gallup/Rasmussen posting R+15 polls in 2010... ugh).

thefit said:
Chances go up as the economy "gets better" although I fear the Iran situation getting out of hand and the subsequent spike in gas prices (which are already heading up again) could change that.
Gas prices are gonna suck, but I bet they'll come down to normal levels like usual. I also saw something about gas usage going down, so it might be less of a factor.

Not that high, especially since 2010 was an important election year in determining whether the state redistricting would be better for democrats or republicans.

Not that high, especially since 2010 was an important election year in determining whether the state redistricting would be better for democrats or republicans.
Redistricting's a wash. A lot of states the GOP gerrymandered like Pennsylvania, Florida (also under stricter guidelines because of the Fair Districts Initiative), and Ohio were already Republican gerrymanders in 2000, and others have independent commissions (Arizona being the most prominent) - and then you have Texas, which got thrown out. It's in flux but any compromise is going to give the Democrats some seats. Illinois, California, and New York will probably balance out anything else.

Everybody hates Congress as a whole, but generally likes their own representative and votes him back in.

ToxicAdam

They like their own local rep because many are stuck in gerrymandered districts where their only real choice is one candidate (who often shares the same party affiliation). If that congress person gets in serious trouble or sees a dip in support, they merely retire and step aside for the next favored son/daughter to warm that cozy seat.

Everybody hates Congress as a whole, but generally likes their own representative and votes him back in.

Yeah people always seem to hate the "other" person's Congressman. Until I see polling data that says over 60-70% won't re-elect their own incumbent Congressman, then I consider the Congressional approval ratings pretty much worthless in terms of predicting election results.

Puddles

Banned
How bad is gerrymandering? Anyone know of any good studies on the issue?

Don't you fucking tell me to google, ToxicAdam

Chichikov

Don't you fucking tell me to google, ToxicAdam
Do you honestly think someone here has a gerrymandering study in his favorites?
No, someone gonna google it for you.
Now I don't have a huge problem with that, and some people just love to help, but let's not lose focus on what you're really asking here ;).

ToxicAdam

I've never meant someone as intellectually curious yet stunningly lazy all in one package. How do you even get out of bed in the morning?

Here is a nice sampling that spells it out:

There are already 35 House retirements announced (the average is 34), but not much is going to change. Almost all of them are safe and most of the ones that are in danger are due to recent redistricting by the opposing party.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cr...trails-the-muted-effect-of-house-retirements/

Chichikov

I've never meant someone as intellectually curious yet stunningly lazy all in one package. How do you even get out of bed in the morning?

Here is a nice sampling that spells it out:

There are already 35 House retirements announced (the average is 34), but not much is going to change. Almost all of them are safe and most of the ones that are in danger are due to recent redistricting by the opposing party.

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cr...trails-the-muted-effect-of-house-retirements/
You're like the worst social Darwinist ever.

Puddles

Banned
It seems that quite a few of the more bizarre districts were drawn that way to create ethnic voting blocs.

There's particularly ridiculous-looking district in Arizona that was drawn specifically to ensure that Navajo and Hopi populations would have different representatives.

ToxicAdam

The real debilitating effect of gerrymandering is that it robs people of choice. When a district is so far one way, it discourages credible, local people of the other party from running. So you get real flightly, dodgy people to run as the alternative. Which is no choice at all for an independent voter.

So, while it's a shame that Kaptur or Kucinich are going to be out of a job, the real shame is that the people of that district will have Joe the Plumber as their choice for the 'anti-incumbent' vote. So, even if you had some deep ideological reservations about supporting Kucinich, or just think that it's time for Kaptur to retire, you are probably going to retain them due to their 1) experience/power and 2) not being Joe the freaking Plumber. It's a travishamockagedy.

In my district (4th), which is heavily Republican, it's been a collection of factory workers (Carroll, Litt and now Slone) who struggle to raise 10k dollars as my alternative to Jim Jordan. Some 'choice' you have.

The Obama administration is forcing NY, California and others to accept the absolutely terrible deal they've signed with the banks. This is possibly bigger than the bailouts in terms of handouts to the banks. Homeowners and taxpayers are left out, as usual.

Obama needs to be voted out of office.

California and New York, two big holdout states in a $25 billion mortgage settlement, are expected to join the deal, smoothing the way for an announcement on Thursday, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Florida, with its large distressed housing market, was also close to joining the settlement that resolves civil government lawsuits over faulty foreclosures and servicing misconduct by top U.S. banks, a separate person familiar with the deal said on Wednesday.

The announcement will cap more than a year of chaotic negotiations among state and federal officials, and the banks, who have been accused of using robosigners and unlawful documentation to deal with a flood of foreclosures.

The core group of banks involved in settlement talks are Bank of America Corp , Wells Fargo & Co , JPMorgan Chase & Co , Citigroup Inc and Ally Financial Inc.

A handful of other states that had dragged their feet in signing on, including Delaware and Massachusetts, are expected to also participate in the settlement, but the situation is still fluid, the first person familiar with the matter said.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/holdout-states-lured-back-mortgage-deal-002546683.html

$25 billion is like if someone steals everything you own and the government says "a pizza and soda should cover it".

around $1.5 billion in direct payments of up to $2,000 each to borrowers who lost their homes to foreclosure,

Congratulation, the bank fraudulently stole your home, and you've lost $250,000. Here's $2,00 for your troubles.

Its not a coincidence that the states led my democrat AGs didn't want to accept this steaming turd. Obviously republican states will do anything for their corporate overlords. Obama is no different.

It will be $10 all-weekend skiing in hell before I cast a vote for Obama.

Edit: holy fuck I agree with almost every comment in the article. I feel so dirty.

How many foreclosures were actually in error? And have many of those been overturned?

In error? Thousands and thousands. Actual fraud? Many. And this settlement will eliminate any action that can be done against the banks to rectify them.

Heres a story I posted in the thread about this. Someone replied that the same thing was done to their family. This is criminal fraud. And Obama is saying he doesnt give a shit, he has an election to win and pockets to line. Twice today Ive read about people comparing the government to the mafia, and more and more it seems like an accurate comparison.

Real story:

Family member was keeping up with payments, but as house value dropped over 50% wanted to refinance.

Called BoA, told only those late with payments get to refinance. Told over the phone to stop making payments so they can begin refinancing process.

Stopped making payments.

Called again, asked what needed to be done to get refinance, sent in all required paper work.

A month later...."whats going on with my refinancing?'

BoA said they never got the paperwork, even though it was sent with certified mail (delivery confirmation shows they did get it).

So had to fill out all the paperwork again, send it. This time they say they got it.

A couple of months later, get notice in mail that home is being foreclosed.

Call BoA "wtf is this" told to ignore it, computer error, the refinancing is being processed.

Another notice receive, called again, told same thing.

Then on FRIDAY before EASTER received fedex from BoA saying that if full payment isnt made on home by Sunday (easter sunday) then the home was to be forclosed and sold at auction. Also neede notarized paper work.

That was delivered at 3pm Friday, while person was at work. Deadline being two days later on Sunday, a day without mail service or open banks or open notaries.

The home was taken.

That sounds like fraud to me, and Obama is saying its a ok?

I think Im going to go from voting for Obama to actively campaigning against him.

ToxicAdam

The latest WND/Wenzel Poll shows none of the current crop of Republican presidential candidates has solidified the base of the party, with one in five GOP voters leaning toward support of Obama in November.

The results are from the public-opinion research and media consulting company Wenzel Strategies. The poll was conducted Feb. 1-3, 2012, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.44 percentage points

http://www.wnd.com/2012/02/20-of-republicans-leaning-to-obama/

Fringe polling group, but wouldn't surprise me if true. I mean, if you were a moderate Republican, making less than 50k a year, why wouldn't you support Obama?

I don't quite understand what the settlement is for because they mention banks can still be prosecuted for certain things. What does it mean for the guy in your example? He can't bring this to court and get his house back? And everyone else that lost their house because of an error can't get anything back if these AG's agree to this? Even if they were able to continue payments or get a refinance?

cousins

The real debilitating effect of gerrymandering is that it robs people of choice. When a district is so far one way, it discourages credible, local people of the other party from running. So you get real flightly, dodgy people to run as the alternative. Which is no choice at all for an independent voter.

So, while it's a shame that Kaptur or Kucinich are going to be out of a job, the real shame is that the people of that district will have Joe the Plumber as their choice for the 'anti-incumbent' vote. So, even if you had some deep ideological reservations about supporting Kucinich, or just think that it's time for Kaptur to retire, you are probably going to retain them due to their 1) experience/power and 2) not being Joe the freaking Plumber. It's a travishamockagedy.

In my district (4th), which is heavily Republican, it's been a collection of factory workers (Carroll, Litt and now Slone) who struggle to raise 10k dollars as my alternative to Jim Jordan. Some 'choice' you have.
Kucinich is great though, dude's my congressman.

How many foreclosures were actually in error? And have many of those been overturned?

That's the thing, most of the foreclosures were supported by the fact of delinquency, they just didn't have proper documentation. Only the big boys get to skirt rules, it seems. Though I don't know how this settlement could proclude state law civil suits.

Zzoram

I'd imagine they'll come back to the farm by November

also for lols:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/sean-hannity-says-if-obam_n_1262921.HTML

Hannity is a joke.

There is no doubt that Obama put killing Osama Bin Laden as a higher priority than Bush did. Their public statements about OBL make that very clear, Bush was not interested in looking for him while Obama doubled down on aggressive moves into Pakistan hoping to find him hiding there.

Bush only cared about getting revenge for his father by killing Saddam, and immediately turned the US military might away from the Taliban and OBL towards Iraq as soon as he managed to trick people into supporting him.

It's not like they're not going to be able to do that after this "settlement." Schneiderman has already brought up additional charges against the banks, plus there's whatever will come out of Obama's investigation he hired Schneiderman for.

Reading what was posted, it seems like citizens could still sue personally too.

Zzoram

The Obama administration is forcing NY, California and others to accept the absolutely terrible deal they've signed with the banks. This is possibly bigger than the bailouts in terms of handouts to the banks. Homeowners and taxpayers are left out, as usual.

Obama needs to be voted out of office.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/holdout-states-lured-back-mortgage-deal-002546683.html

$25 billion is like if someone steals everything you own and the government says "a pizza and soda should cover it".

Congratulation, the bank fraudulently stole your home, and you've lost $250,000. Here's $2,00 for your troubles.

Its not a coincidence that the states led my democrat AGs didn't want to accept this steaming turd. Obviously republican states will do anything for their corporate overlords. Obama is no different.

It will be $10 all-weekend skiing in hell before I cast a vote for Obama.

Edit: holy fuck I agree with almost every comment in the article. I feel so dirty.

Vote him out of office, and vote in Mitt "corporations are people" Romney? Romney would've made an even worse deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom