• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I believe it would be President Pro Tempore, currently Patrick Leahy.
Nay. No one "moves up" in the line of succession like that.

If Obama died after Biden had resigned, the Speaker of the House would become President; the Senate President Pro Tem after that. But nobody slides into the VP slot.

edit: Daw. Well just for spectators then. :p

final edit: confirm, that's what I was grabbing at.

Tim-E

Nay. No one "moves up" in the line of succession like that.

If Obama died after Biden had resigned, the Speaker of the House would become President; the Senate President Pro Tem after that. But nobody slides into the VP slot.

edit: Daw. Well just for spectators then. :p

I realized that after posting. I'm on a phone and I've had little sleep. Thanks for the clarification.

America has had big government and big brother for decades. Suddenly when it's a black guy that you didn't vote for all the conservatives become paranoid about big government and big brother. Idiots.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Made the mistake of reading some comment sections again.

*sigh*

I'm still honestly baffled at how people can say some of this horribly ignorant shit. At this point I'm starting to believe all these comments are being made by mentally deficient people. That's the only thing I can figure out.

i2KArvgl.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

gcubed

in my list of "if i were in charge"

if you are taking videos or pictures with an ipad, it if the duty of people around you to smack it out of your hands, smash it repeatedly on the ground until it is in at least 20 pieces, and thank the person who was using the ipad

Gotchaye

A lot of humor is about making fun of the status quo, they want to maintain it. As a result it really doesn't work.

I don't think this really works. They're anti- status quo on all kinds of things. They're extremely anti- status quo according to their own conception of the status quo. And political cartoons are often just about mocking political opponents, and they're definitely anti- status quo with respect to the presidency. The problem here is that Ramirez just isn't doing anything more than saying that Obama is lying when he says a particular thing that the right has been claiming Obama's been lying about for a long time now. I'm not sure it makes sense to even call it attempted comedy. It's just a right wing talking point in picture form.

Here's something on a similar theme which I'd understand someone laughing at:
3XFHer6.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think this really works. They're anti- status quo on all kinds of things. They're extremely anti- status quo according to their own conception of the status quo. And political cartoons are often just about mocking political opponents, and they're definitely anti- status quo with respect to the presidency. The problem here is that Ramirez just isn't doing anything more than saying that Obama is lying when he says a particular thing that the right has been claiming Obama's been lying about for a long time now. I'm not sure it makes sense to even call it attempted comedy. It's just a right wing talking point in picture form.

Here's something on a similar theme which I'd understand someone laughing at:
3XFHer6.jpg

See that's not really funny unless you think Obama has no legacy, which he obviously does at this point (the ACA).

Also look at Biden working that rope line, he can't help himself.

Gotchaye

See that's not really funny unless you think Obama has no legacy, which he obviously does at this point (the ACA).

Also look at Biden working that rope line, he can't help himself.

Yes, obviously it helps to be conservative. Creationists are also capable of doing comedy, and the fact that it probably won't be very funny to people who don't buy into their premises doesn't change that.

There seems to me to be a big difference between Ramirez's cartoons and ones like what I posted, though. I have a hard time imagining that many conservatives find Ramirez's cartoons funny. They're not even jokes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Biden is such a character, I can't help but love the guy

It's hard to tell which is more awesome, Real Biden or Onion Biden.

Yes, obviously it helps to be conservative. Creationists are also capable of doing comedy, and the fact that it probably won't be very funny to people who don't buy into their premises doesn't change that.

Honestly the only Conservative Comedy stuff I've ever laughed at was the Blue Collar Comedy Tour stuff and that was mostly Ron White being drunk.

KingK

I thought Obama's speech was pretty good. Not his most inspirational, imo, but I really liked that he brought up gay rights and climate change. It actually gave me some hope that he may still try to get some big climate legislation passed this term.

I love Biden's trademark point.
http://i.minus.com/iFLdNoVGSmesO.gif[/img[/QUOTE]

In contrast, LBJ's pointing was more forceful. When LBJ visited Kennedy in the oval office, though this was a rare thing, many times he would be seen jabbing a finger at the young president, usually in a heated conversation.

GhaleonEB

Republicans do not want Obama to have a legacy sooo hard.

I really can't wait until the ACA's exchanges open up next year. Bound to be problems, but the end result is going to be tens of millions more with access to health care by the end of Obama's term. The tears will flow so hard we won't be able to drink them fast enough.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I really can't wait until the ACA's exchanges open up next year. Bound to be problems, but the end result is going to be tens of millions more with access to health care by the end of Obama's term. The tears will flow so hard we won't be able to drink them fast enough.
Divert them to drought affected crop land. Double whammy.

codhand

In contrast, LBJ's pointing was more forceful. When LBJ visited Kennedy in the oval office, though this was a rare thing, many times he would be seen jabbing a finger at the young president, usually in a heated conversation.

What about Clinton's non-threatening and folksy thumb point?

Qazaq

Banned
Did you guys fucking read this? Holy fucking shit.

What a bunch of fucking scumbags.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2...rprises_democrats_with_redrawn_districts.html

So basically, the Virginia Senate is tied 20-20. One of the members -- a 79 year old black civil rights veteran -- was at Obama's inauguration, so during a day where the Senate was 20-19 (Republican), the Virginia Senate republicans redrew the state's districts to get rid of a Democratic seat in western Virginia.

The Dems are going to sue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom