• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No they didn't. Their leverage is based on the fact that the Repubs don't want military cuts. They will have to bargain to get their war machine money.

Do you really think Democrats are going to fight to stop that war machine money train? I'd bet they give up social programs before being seen as antimilitary. It's just such a risk given how lame they are.

Do you really think Democrats are going to fight to stop that war machine money train? I'd bet they give up social programs before being seen as antimilitary. It's just such a risk given how lame they are.

Of course not. But they will trade something for it, regardless. What they trade, is to be seen. Another payroll tax holiday? Infrastructure stimulus? no cuts on the other side of the coin? Who knows.

Dems are not going to just agree to give back the military cuts and pass cuts on medicare/ss for it just to avoid the debt ceiling fight.

Dems still have the leverage.

ericexpo

I still dont get what youre disagreeing with?

1) The Obama administration changed the rules of the game so banks can profit by hoarding commodities. A typical Obama corporate handout.
2) As copper is hoarded, the price goes up. Its already very high.
3) As the price goes up, the incentive to steal goes up.
4) Streetlights offer easy sources of copper for thieves.
5) Cities cant afford to quickly replace the copper, in some cities, its been reported that the day after the light was fixed, the copper was stolen again
6) No lights = darkness

Wtf? Nobody steals copper out of street lights. Thieves go into homes for a reason its a lot of clean copper in one place. An air conditioner has more copper then a street light. Also junk yards require a contractor id to take a a lot of copper now

Apparently the final deal has a change to IRAs for 2 months to allow more roth IRAs in order to cover the 1st two months of the sequester.

Didn't see that coming. This will generate more revenues for a few months and then less revenues in the future.

Boehner apparently not sure he can sell it, from what I read from sources, too. oh boy. If Senate passes with over 70 votes it will be very tough for Boehner not to carry his caucus.

But if it's around 60, what if the house refuses? I really don't think it's possible, but lmao if it does.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The American public needs to smack congress upside their heads.

The vast majority of people disapprove of congress.

Politics is like a bad sport with everyone supporting their congressmen/team while failing to see them for what they are.

Why should I be happy with what, 80% of the Bush tax cuts renewed?

Oh stop.
Rates are going back to those making $400-450k a year. Republicans are going to go on record voting for this.
Unemployment benefits extension that won't be paid for by cuts.

Contrary to what you and some others expected, Obama was never going to let us go off of the cliff fully. Fact is that if a deal wasn't done, nobody knows what may have happened in the House and Senate. And while there are a group of very progressive Senators that are unhappy, there are also Senators that wanted the rates to go up on those making 500k and above. Obama isn't a dictator, he can't just wave a wand and get what he wants.

I can guarantee you that had this deal been done by Hillary you would have been praising her to high heaven. We get it, you aren't a fan of Obama, thats fine. You never have been and never will be. Totally fine. But don't even try to argue that had Hillary done the exact same things you are unhappy with Obama doing that you would have reacted the same. Fact is you are still mad about her losing.

Oh stop.
Rates are going back to those making $400-450k a year. Republicans are going to go on record voting for this.
Unemployment benefits extension that won't be paid for by cuts.

Contrary to what you and some others expected, Obama was never going to let us go off of the cliff fully. Fact is that if a deal wasn't done, nobody knows what may have happened in the House and Senate. And while there are a group of very progressive Senators that are unhappy, there are also Senators that wanted the rates to go up on those making 500k and above. Obama isn't a dictator, he can't just wave a wand and get what he wants.

I can guarantee you that had this deal been done by Hillary you would have been praising her to high heaven. We get it, you aren't a fan of Obama, thats fine. You never have been and never will be. Totally fine. But don't even try to argue that had Hillary done the exact same things you are unhappy with Obama doing that you would have reacted the same. Fact is you are still mad about her losing.

Hillary is currently in the hospital, I wouldn't play politics at her expense, certainly not with you.

If we cannot get rid of the Bush tax cuts after a large election victory, we'll never get rid of them. Meaning taxes will remain low for too many of the rich and entitlements will continue to be targeted - perhaps every 6-8 months during Obama's presidency. And in a couple months we'll be fighting over the debt ceiling, and I'm sure you'll be telling us that hey, sure Obama flip flopped on entering negotiations but at least the concessions aren't as bad as they could have been! You guys are like battered wives, or Nintendo fans. Same results, same actions, no change.

Happy new years, I'm gonna go watch Mad Men

Diablos

Hillary is currently in the hospital, I wouldn't play politics at her expense, certainly not with you.

If we cannot get rid of the Bush tax cuts after a large election victory, we'll never get rid of them. Meaning taxes will remain low for too many of the rich and entitlements will continue to be targeted - perhaps every 6-8 months during Obama's presidency. And in a couple months we'll be fighting over the debt ceiling, and I'm sure you'll be telling us that hey, sure Obama flip flopped on entering negotiations but at least the concessions aren't as bad as they could have been! You guys are like battered wives, or Nintendo fans. Same results, same actions, no change.

Oh Maury.

I am not going to over over the 'Obama checking off list' because you know what the list includes. I am not going to jump down his throat just because he didn't demand and stand firm for the exact bill that I would have liked. I don't have a problem doing that with a Senator since the Senator simply votes yay or nay.

Even if Obama stood his ground on $250k a year, we would still be facing an annual 6-8 months debate on gutting entitlements. Even if Obama had stood his ground on 250k we would still be facing an annual fight on the debt ceiling. You continue to put the onus of this stupid game played by the GOP on Obama when it's the GOP that is fully responsible.

And battered wives? Give me a break. Unlike with yourself who won't ever give the man credit for anything, many of us are middle of the road enough to call him out when he shits the bed and give him credit when he does something positive. I'm not going to get on your little bandwagon of bitter tears and hissy fits just because Obama didn't give me the exact bill that I was hoping for.

But hey, I'm sure in 2016 when Hillary is elected President, she will be the leader that Obama could only hope to be. But in the mean time, I'm sure your friends here would agree with you.

Bowdz

You people on the west coast have nothing to worry about, we have gone off the fiscal cliff over here, and I feel fine.

1247549237326.jpg

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wow, hearing dems tonight you would think they were the minority party. "This is the best that we could do" wtf guys!!!

Why should I be happy with what, 80% of the Bush tax cuts renewed?

Well, good policy for the time being would be to keep the greatest chunk of it, i.e., that benefiting the middle class. I'd certainly love to ramp up taxes on the highest income earners ($1 million and more), but that was never on the table to begin with.

LAtoDC

Neo Member
Just finished up my New Years festivities and took a cab home (driving right by the Capitol building) and I saw the lights were still on. Go home to turn on recorded new years footage to see the Senate still voting on breaking news. Wow!

But PD said

confab rickbull • 6 hours ago −
I'm aware of that..

Actually, the program began under Reagan, I believe.. And it was intended to provide land lines to poor folks, I suppose for safety purposes.. In case there was a fire or a medical emergency or something. Bush just expanded it to cell phones. At least as I understand it. However, Obama marketed the program in ways I've never seen before.. Sort of like the SNAP program.

But the point is: That woman had something to show for her support.. the democrats are like that.. They're never going to take that phone away from her.. Their base has ultimate faith in them, because they can reliably be counted on to deliver for them.

Not overnight.. Not all at once.. But they move the ball. They're dedicated, and their base knows this.

I guess I'm just a little jealous that my team doesn't have these characteristics and that I can't rely upon them?

It must be nice to know that your leadership is in your corner, and will fight for you tooth and nail!

Look at Obamacare? How many dem politicians fell on their swords to win that one?

They fight for what they believe.. While I don't even KNOW what my leaders really believe.
9 •Share ›

This is like bizarro PD.

I can see why republican bloggers are upset with the bill (it raises taxes) but the idea that it will ruin the economy is laughable. If I was a republican I'd probably be ambivalent towards the deal, but excited about the future inevitability of rolling Obama on more spending cuts during the debt ceiling fight; the main lesson to be taken here is that the election changed nothing, Obama will continue to cave in the face of obstruction/media hand wringing, and he will likely be less popular in March than he is now.

I can see why republican bloggers are upset with the bill (it raises taxes) but the idea that it will ruin the economy is laughable. If I was a republican I'd probably be ambivalent towards the deal, but excited about the future inevitability of rolling Obama on more spending cuts during the debt ceiling fight; the main lesson to be taken here is that the election changed nothing, Obama will continue to cave in the face of obstruction/media hand wringing, and he will likely be less popular in March than he is now.

Well you have been so right in the past, SURELY your prediction will be correct again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom