• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

do you mean debt?

either way, it's almost as if our politicians secretly realize that the debt is not a problem.

It's not even really that secret. Seriously, try and reinterpret almost everything said by these politicians (except the really crazy ones) through that lens and you can kind of read between the lines to what they really think. I did that throughout the election, and you could really tell there were some interesting things going on with the Romney campaign.

Wait, are you against the deficit now? Maybe you should change your avatar when you change characters OH WAIT YOU CAN'T

Not against deficit soending; obviously I'd rather add to the deficit with stimulus. I haven't read the report but I'm guessing the permanent AMT fix is a major culprit

I don't see how republicans will vote for this in the house.

Chichikov

It really was amazing to see the issue totally ignored. Not a peep from anybody, even on the campaign trail before the election (so far as I saw, anyway).
It's such a missed opportunity politically too.
How easy it would've been to present an alternative to the American public?
I'm beyond certain that if given the option between across the board rate increase and raising the cap, the electorate would've overwhelmingly support the latter (I usually fact check such claims, but damn, I feel beyond certain. and hung over, there's also that).

But then again, I never really know what to think about any changes to the payroll tax. It's a stupid tax that need to go away, though I have no idea how you go around doing it politically.

Ecotic

My twitter feed is stocked with connected political reporters. They're all starting to seem pretty pessimistic about the deal's chances in the house.

Where are people getting the 41-1 thing? That is, where is that one dollar in spending cuts? Because the bill doesn't have any.

Also, Twitter is like the best news source ever.

I will admit these current rents are glorious and make me feel better about the deal, even if I dislike the numbers.

It's not gonna pass lol

Where are people getting the 41-1 thing? That is, where is that one dollar in spending cuts? Because the bill doesn't have any.

It's with the sequester. So more like current law if the deal passes than the Bill itself.

CBO say there are 15b in spending cuts within the bill, vs 620b in taxes

Gotchaye

It's with the sequester. So more like current law if the deal passes than the Bill itself.

No, other way around. It's totally ignoring the sequester. That's why the ratio of tax increases to spending cuts is so high. Actually, it may count 2 months of sequester delay as new spending. Not sure.

lol @ people complaining about capital gains taxes. Obama always offered 20%. Now you want to complain he got what he asked for?

Sure, I'd like it to be tied to income, but he was never asking for that.

If this is not a good deal, then what should Obama have given up to get the UE extension and estate tax hike from the last couple years? He had to give up something, so fucking tell me what it would be.

And don't mention sequester or payroll taxes. They weren't on the table here.

If the House doesn't vote on this, Obama needs to exploit this badly. Because it passed with 89 votes in the Senate. The House will look like the clowns they are if played correctly.

ivysaur12

Banned
If Boehner really doesn't like the deal, maybe he shouldn't have insisted that a deal originates from the Senate.

Eric Cantor, what a slime ball.

Senate passed with 89, anything new given would be awful.

Obama should hold a news conference everyday reminding Americans that House GOP killed the deal
If anything they should give less if the House (hopefully) blows up the deal. In fact, the House makes it easier to go back to the 250k rate, to get the middle class tax cut out the way and then work on bigger deal that includes spending cuts, UE benefits, etc.

Cloudy

Banned
There is no way Reid accepts GOP amendments. The current bill can pass with house dems if Boehner brings it to the floor

If anything they should give less if the House (hopefully) blows up the deal. In fact, the House makes it easier to go back to the 250k rate, to get the middle class tax cut out the way and then work on bigger deal that includes spending cuts, UE benefits, etc.

If this deal doesn't pass the House, there won't be a bigger deal. They tried that once and it didn't work.

Your positions are so stupid. You're gung-ho about the $250k level completely oblivious that it's Obama's only real trading chip for the UE extension.

Bring me your deal that could realistically pass at least the Senate that only involves taxes and UE.

GhaleonEB

There is no way Reid accepts GOP amendments. The current bill can pass with house dems if Boehner brings it to the floor

And if cuts are added to the mix, no way it gets Dem support in he House. Which means its not even certain Boehner can get it past the House, given this raises more revenue than his Plan B debacle. And as of tomorrow Boehner has fewer members in his caucus so he's got an even narrower margin to work with.

Thread title keeps getting more and more apt.

Crisco

Banned
The thing I don't get is, if I'm a Republican, how do I vote for this? It's essentially a pure tax increase with no spending cuts in return. Won't getting on the record voting for this be toxic to reelection?

The thing I don't get is, if I'm a Republican, how do I vote for this? It's essentially a pure tax increase with no spending cuts in return. Won't getting on the record voting for this be toxic to reelection?

It's a tax increase on no one according to current law. Everyone gets a tax cut.

How can the GOP hold tax cuts hostage for over 98% of Americans just for the top 1-2%? The Spending cuts will come in the debt ceiling and sequester negotiation, not here. The time for a big deal is over, it has to be piece-mealed.

let the House GOP go on record against tax cuts for the middle class + UE benefits for 2 million people for that reason against the backdrop of 89 senator votes. They will all lose badly in 2014, gerrymandering or not.

RDreamer

Now's when Obama needs to take main stage and come on TV and tell everyone that the bill passed with bi-partisan support in the Senate, and he'll sign it as is. If the house republicans mess with it, they're killing the bill. He won't sign it, and the senate and house dems won't vote for it. Pass as is, or the fallout is on you, basically.

If this deal doesn't pass the House, there won't be a bigger deal. They tried that once and it didn't work.

Your positions are so stupid. You're gung-ho about the $250k level completely oblivious that it's Obama's only real trading chip for the UE extension.

Bring me your deal that could realistically pass at least the Senate that only involves taxes and UE.
It didn't work because it included tax hikes. Any deal on taxes now=tax cut. I would give them 300/350k tax cuts, include some of the least offensive sequestration cuts, Medicare cuts that don't impact benefits (btw, let republicans offer these first), discretionary spending cuts, one year AMT fix instead of permanent, UE benefits, and all the tax credits except for the green energy ones.

That would pass the senate, especially after Thursday. Then go on tv every day demanding a vote in the House. Republicans will not hold out now that everyone's taxes have increased. This is why the cliff is the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom