• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
No big deal here on my laptop.

Right, on a laptop you just center click and BAM, new tab.

phone, not so much

Didn't they already warn them that this kind of shit was a non starter on the Dem side? The fuk.

Oh and funny story some asshole in a BMV chased me a bit on the freeway on my home yesterday screaming and hollering due to my Obama stickers. asshole.

1) Slam on the brakes
2) BMW is 100% at fault
3) Enjoy your new car

Clevinger

Paul-Ryan-Buff-Workout-10112012-Lead01-600x450.jpeg

Does his face remind anyone else of a muppet?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I cannot wait to hear the "Obama won't work with Congress" excuses after this fails to get a vote in the House with 92/100 votes supporting it in Senate.

What really cracks me up about the situation is, Boehner punted this straight over to McConnell and Reid to solve. They did, with a deal that got a 92-8 vote. Now Boehner's not happy with the lifeline they threw him. You can't make this shit up.
He probably figured they wouldn't, and no speaker wants to break the Hastert rule (don't bring bills to the floor without a majority support from your caucus). Looks like he'll have to anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
What really cracks me up about the situation is, Boehner punted this straight over to McConnell and Reid to solve. They did, with a deal that got a 92-8 vote. Now Boehner's not happy with the lifeline they threw him. You can't make this shit up.

To be absolutely fair to Boehner, I don't think it's absolutely him who is not happy with the lifeline. He is wrangling with an absolutely nut-case tea party caucus who refuses to compromise on anything at all. This says more about Boehner's inability to control a large part of the House Republicans than what he personally feels about this deal.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Wait, let me predict the future:

FOX NEWS: OBUMMER failed to compromise with his 70% tax on highest earners. Congressmen Boner courageously defended tax cuts for the middle class, but OBUMMER's secret deals with the Senate killed the bill.

GhaleonEB

To be absolutely fair to Boehner, I don't think it's absolutely him who is not happy with the lifeline. He is wrangling with an absolutely nut-case tea party caucus who refuses to compromise on anything at all. This says more about Boehner's inability to control a large part of the House Republicans than what he personally feels about this deal.

True, but the bill doesn't need his caucus to pass. He just needs to allow the vote and get out of the way.

Which it looks like he'll be doing now. Not as hilarious an end as I'd hoped, but it was fun.

We get to do this all over again in two months. Good lord. :\

Yeah, but I was wondering more about how much Republican support it would need in the House. They don't want an amendment to it, so will they take it as is?

I think there are enough votes. I think this was just incompetence in leading his party.

The bill will probably pass but this stunt shows that they don't have the leverage they thought they do. I'm pretty positive about the debt ceiling now.

Rubenov

True, but the bill doesn't need his caucus to pass. He just needs to allow the vote and get out of the way.

Which it looks like he'll be doing now. Not as hilarious an end as I'd hoped, but it was fun.

I won't be going short volatility on my portfolio for the next one, the last week gave me some serious gray hair.

Amir0x

Banned

It's true, but I think he was maybe gauging just how much damage it would do to his political future. These guys are cowards. But I think he realizes if they don't do this, the damage would be incalculable.

Its funny that he's breaking the majority of the majority rule which is how the house has been run by republicans the last 20 years.

I don't know of other times that its been broken

I think there are enough votes. I think this was just incompetence in leading his party.

The bill will probably pass but this stunt shows that they don't have the leverage they thought they do. I'm pretty positive about the debt ceiling now.

I guess I'd be surprised from a political perspective if it got enough Republicans voted for it. With major taxes and minor spending cuts it feels like voting for it could be used against them. I guess you weight that with taking the blame for going over the cliff and some common sense. Is this a case of the GOP just being kind of a mess overall or is it a lack of good leadership in Congress for them?

Its funny that he's breaking the majority of the majority rule which is how the house has been run by republicans the last 20 years.

I don't know of other times that its been broken
Exactly. They have been so hardline about how they handle themselves. IS this just potential damage control.

Rubenov

They could have had a deal with significant spending cuts if they started work on this months ago, not on the night AFTER we are over the damm cliff.

It's true, but I think he was maybe gauging just how much damage it would do to his political future. These guys are cowards. But I think he realizes if they don't do this, the damage would be incalculable.

To say nothing of if they refuse to raise the debt ceiling in a few months (or was that what you were referring to?).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
To say nothing of if they refuse to raise the debt ceiling in a few months (or was that what you were referring to?).

The debt ceiling is going to be happening at the same time as the sequester if this plan passes so that will be fun to see. I wonder how the GOP will fight for more cuts to things while opposing huge cuts to everything.

I guess I'd be surprised from a political perspective if it got enough Republicans voted for it. With major taxes and minor spending cuts it feels like voting for it could be used against them. I guess you weight that with taking the blame for going over the cliff and some common sense. Is this a case of the GOP just being kind of a mess overall or is it a lack of good leadership in Congress for them?

Its many of these people have crazier nuts looking to primary them they can't vote for compromise. They're more scared of them than the cliff or a democratic challenger

The debt ceiling is going to be happening at the same time as the sequester if this plan passes so that will be fun to see. I wonder how the GOP will fight for more cuts to things while opposing huge cuts to everything.

Today's events make me so much more confident for this in two months.

CNN live blog still doesn't show they did not find the 218 for the amendment... I trust GAF but I want it on CNN!.

I don't think its been put up for a vote and probably won't be since they're not gonna get the votes. Twitter as GOP sources saying they're gonna put up the senate bill and it'll pass.

Also how does it work that this is a revenue bill but it started in the senate?

Link

The Autumn Wind
He probably figured they wouldn't, and no speaker wants to break the Hastert rule (don't bring bills to the floor without a majority support from your caucus). Looks like he'll have to anyway.
This already happened to him just last week with the Plan B debacle.

Right, but that's only because he realized it wouldn't have the votes after he had already put the process in motion. It was just as damning.

Its embarrassing but not as much as puting it in the congressional record that a bill passed thanks to the minority.

Wow tcot is going crazy on twitter. The far right really hates this deal lol. Someone's even offering CPA advice to help folks avoid the charity deduction changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom