• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wait, I don't understand. So the sources are saying it will get an up or down vote since the Shitmarquesses couldn't get to 218 for amendment, but Boenhead is saying he isn't interested in seeing it pass with basically just Democratic support. So either he's bluffing and the Rs are gonna vote for this or he'll block it.

I like Pelosi's saying. First you have the votes, then you have the vote!

Wow tcot is going crazy on twitter. The far right really hates this deal lol. Someone's even offering CPA advice to help folks avoid the charity deduction changes

who?

Wait, I don't understand. So the sources are saying it will get an up or down vote since the Shitmarquesses couldn't get to 218 for amendment, but Boenhead is saying he isn't interested in seeing it pass with basically just Democratic support. So either he's bluffing and the Rs are gonna vote for this or he'll block it.

Sorry to be confusing but my quote was from a few days ago. I was just pointing out that what he doesn't want is what is going to happen.

The difference was Pelosi was a GOOD Speaker. Boehner should take some tips from her.

Amir0x

Banned

The comment was from a little while ago, not today. Today Boehner is facing the reality that they aren't going to get a better deal and that if they don't do this the full weight of America's anger will be turned on the Republicans.

Because this punts the Sequester stuff, they are calculating that they can give the Democrats this and then hold the country hostage in debt limit negotiations.

The true victory of this will be if Obama sticks to his pledge not to negotiate whatsoever on the debt limit. If he can hold to that, it'll feel something like a win for Dems I think

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Boenher said that a few weeks ago I think. I'm pretty sure we're having a vote on just the Senate bill today.

lol

Krauthammer: Senate fiscal cliff legislation ‘a complete surrender on everything’

“It’s possible this is the prelude to a challenge Thursday to Boehner’s leadership by Eric Cantor,” Krauthammer said. “I think that would be quite naked to do it at this late hour, as a result of this split over the vote. Look, there are a lot of conservatives in the Republican caucus in the House who hate the bill — and for good reason. I mean, this is a complete surrender on everything. The ratio of tax cuts — of tax hikes to spending cut is 40 to 1, rather than 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 or 1 to 3. So, I mean it’s a complete rout by the Democrats. So it’s understandable.”

I feel dirty having linked to the Daily Caller :(

Where did they get that from?

"top conservatives on twitter" lol

It's interesting reading it. Seems like the younger, more computer literate far right wingers don't like Fox. I guess it makes sense in the sense that Fox doesn't really have a Rachel Maddow - a young movement conservative star. Just a bunch of old conservatives on Fox, all of whom lied to their audience about Romney having a 100% of winning the election.

Amir0x

Banned
daveweigel ‏@daveweigel

This will be the third time House Rs were told that they couldn't get spending cuts this time, but NEXT TIME....

-_-

at least we're going get this shit passed and move on to the next hilarious self-inflicted wound in 2 months

So would the Up/down vote happen today?

per CNN:

Rep. Tom Cole, the deputy GOP whip in the House, said he expects the chamber to pass the Senate fiscal cliff bill tonight without adding a package of spending cuts.

I guess it will

Gotchaye

I'm feeling all right about the upcoming debt ceiling and sequestration fight. To the extent that this tax deal is perceived as a massive Republican cave, it helps shake Republicans' confidence that Obama will always be the one to give in when it comes to fights like this. It lets Obama posture more aggressively on the debt ceiling and more credibly signal an unwillingness to negotiate, because he can argue that it worked very well this time.

I'm feeling all right about the upcoming debt ceiling and sequestration fight. To the extent that this tax deal is perceived as a massive Republican cave, it helps shake Republicans' confidence that Obama will always be the one to give in when it comes to fights like this. It lets Obama posture more aggressively on the debt ceiling and more credibly signal an unwillingness to negotiate, because he can argue that it worked very well this time.

But PD said Obama caves most!

So with this done, is there any chance in hell there's movement on sequestration/debt ceiling before the 11th hour?

I'd imagine the media narrative picks right up with that, no?

Amir0x

Banned

just think about how bad it was last time. Republicans don't give a fuck what they do to the country

also, this made me heh and sadface:

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel

Hey, remember when we were talking about new gun control legislation? That was a wild six minutes.

Gotchaye

just think about how bad it was last time. Republicans don't give a fuck what they do to the country

But they do. We got the fiscal cliff because saner Republicans realized what they were doing and needed a face-saving out. There were some pretty vague and back-loaded spending cuts involved, but mostly they got nothing, plus a whole lot of embarrassment recently in the course of fixing (part of) the problem they created.

Boehner's ability to take hostages was always coming from his inability to control his caucus*. He was never presenting himself in negotiations as willing to let the US hit the debt ceiling. But if he can make his caucus eat a tax increase when push comes to shove, despite the fact that they've just voted down his much more conservative Plan B, he has no credibility when he comes to Obama and says "those nuts in my caucus are going to force the US to default unless you give them what they want".

*Or his unwillingness to allow an unwhipped vote. But, again, if he's willing to allow it for a tax increase, he's going to be willing to allow it for a debt ceiling increase, because he knows that actually hitting the debt ceiling would be disastrous. Plus his speakership is safe at that point.

Edit: And I think there's reason to be hopeful that the current fiasco is going to stick to Republicans for a while. People are going to be prepared to blame them for whatever extraordinary measures would have to be taken to deal with a failure to raise the debt ceiling.

Any time I think Americans can't all be that dumb, I think about my commute.

Hahaha. Though, I thought I read somewhere that the average commute in many European countries is longer. Likewise, my DC commute is longer than what it was in Tampa and Knoxville. But a train ride beats the hell out of a daily car commute, so I agree with you in principle.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
CHEEZMO™;45964543 said:
Isn't it True Conservatives on Twitter?

I've always heard it as Top.

The best #tcot moments are always when liberals infiltrate it using Facts.

Haha check out Drudge's front page

3LFbe.gif

Needs to be replaced with "Drudge Tears"

How does Drudge's site have any credibility? Shit looks like he whipped it up in html in 5 minutes in 1998.

Because it was.

Also it's interesting to see how basic the more conservative sites tend to be.

One other thing I was just thinking about. So this fiscal cliff is ONLY tax cuts right? No spending cuts? And because it's a gigantic tax cut, it's adding $4T to the deficit over 10 years right? And because it makes the deficit so big, that's why the GOP won't support it?

...so they're confirming that tax cuts grow the deficit and actually cost money?

Do I have this right?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One other thing I was just thinking about. So this fiscal cliff is ONLY tax cuts right? No spending cuts? And because it's a gigantic tax cut, it's adding $4T to the deficit over 10 years right? And because it makes the deficit so big, that's why the GOP won't support it?

...so they're confirming that tax cuts grow the deficit and actually cost money?

Do I have this right?

There is also the sequester, which is a huge amount of spending cuts that has been put off til the Debt Ceiling is slated to come up again. The tax increases and sequester combined make up the cliff.

Amir0x

Banned
So Dana Bash says on teh Twitterz that they will vote sometime during 9-10PM EST?

No, they have at least a few hours of debating to do. They don't have to use the full allotment of time for debating, but knowing how the House works, they will use every second of time they have to drone on and hear themselves speak and probably go on a bit more beyond that too.

Vote will come around Midnight unless they decide not to debate for some reason

Do I have this right?

I don't think so. Tax cuts don't add to the deficit silly. I'm under the impression they're against it because it doesn't extend ALL the Bush cuts permanently. Even though they've already expired. Which makes no sense. Which is par for the course.

It's like Obama is playing very casual, predictable prevent defense and republicans keep fumbling the ball during hand off. Any throw down field would get big yardage and ultimately win the game, but they can't even run a play. The country has avoided two austerity bombs (Medicare age increase, Social Security cuts) because republicans are too fucking stupid to play the game.

Do I like the deal? Overall, no. But we get tax revenue, no ridiculous spending cuts, and the GOP is eating itself alive for all to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom