• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the Daily Show went to the left under Stewart it was pretty much a terrible show
The Daily Show was created by Lizz Winstead, who would go on to co-found Air America radio. The Daily Show did not "go left" under Stewart, the news segment at the beginning of the Kilborn show was just like the beginning we have now. Maybe your perception is due to the taped segments and the interviews under Kilborn being less political.

Before the Daily Show went to the left under Stewart it was pretty much a terrible show and another faceless mediocre cable late night talk show. Craig Kilborn was extremely unfunny and I think Jon actually put some direction and meaning into the show by making it generally more "liberal."

Does anyone even remember that Craig Kilborn hosted The Daily Show?

Does anyone even remember that Craig Kilborn hosted The Daily Show?
I do. It was a good enough show. The Headlines opener was good material even if Kilborn wasn't at Stewart's level of delivering it, and one of the first new correspondents brought on as the show picked up was Stephen Colbert. Frank DeCaro's Out at the Movies was fun. Kilborn's interviews were all celebrity interviews but they were good. I like 5 Questions.

The main problem with the show back then was that they would do their field segments on people that were trying to find Bigfoot and other oddball folks, focusing on satirizing how news reports are done rather than issues. The only one I actually remember had Beth Littleford putting her hand up a pig's ass.

I noticed that today is the anniversary of the GOP "autopsy," which republicans proceeded to ignore. In the process Obama had a historically bad year, and republicans now seem poised to keep the House and win the senate. A 2014 victory will once again convince republicans nothing is wrong, as it did in 2010, and in 2016 they'll likely be rejected in mass by the full public. Thus sparking more hand wringing from Joe Scarborough types...but by 2018 they'll once again be marred in extremism and poised for midterm success.

It's a vicious cycle that probably won't begin to change until after the next Census.

GhaleonEB

I noticed that today is the anniversary of the GOP "autopsy," which republicans proceeded to ignore. In the process Obama had a historically bad year, and republicans now seem poised to keep the House and win the senate. A 2014 victory will once again convince republicans nothing is wrong, as it did in 2010, and in 2016 they'll likely be rejected in mass by the full public. Thus sparking more hand wringing from Joe Scarborough types...but by 2018 they'll once again be marred in extremism and poised for midterm success.

It's a vicious cycle that probably won't begin to change until after the next Census.

This is why I've largely tuned out of politics these days. The House isn't going to budge until 2020, so we're stuck pretty much where we are until then. It landing on a presidential election should help.

So this isn't US politics but the Bank of England released a report yesterday that pretty much says conventional economics taught in schools is lies. Banks create money by creating IOUs, not central banks. Banks don't 'lend out' reserves.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/2014/qb14q102.pdf

Note that the money created by banks is temporary money that does not actually add any net financial assets to the private sector's overall balance sheet. Too much of this temporary money eventually leads to economic slowdowns (as people become more and more burdened by debt) and eventually a Minsky moment like the financial crash. We rely too much on banks to stimulate the economy through loans. It is a far inferior mechanism for promoting economic growth than deficit spending by the government, but it has the advantage of preserving economic power at the status quo, which is why it is favored.

Well, some GOPer had to go to the logical ends!

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/ph...cle_4ac9d76a-8226-5ad5-bc40-4d8cf2d51668.html
Jensen's strong views occasionally draw heat from his colleagues. This session, Jensen sponsored Senate Bill 128, which would have allowed businesses to deny service to people based on their sexual orientation and not fear a lawsuit.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender advocates, and even some Republicans, decried the legislation as discriminatory. Sen. Mark Kirkeby, R-Rapid City, called it “a mean, nasty, hateful, vindictive bill.” It was killed in committee.

But Jensen remains a supporter of SB 128. He calls it a bill that would have ensured the freedom of businesses to choose their clientele.

"It's a bill that protects the constitutional right to free association, the right to free speech and private property rights," he said.

Jensen goes so far as to say that businesses should have the right to deny service based on a customer's race or religion – whether that's right or wrong, he says, can be fairly addressed by the free market, not the government.

"If someone was a member of the Ku Klux Klan, and they were running a little bakery for instance, the majority of us would find it detestable that they refuse to serve blacks, and guess what? In a matter of weeks or so that business would shut down because no one is going to patronize them," he said.
This is why I've largely tuned out of politics these days. The House isn't going to budge until 2020, so we're stuck pretty much where we are until then. It landing on a presidential election should help.

Eh, I really think there's a shot in 2016 or 2018 if the Dems beat the odds this year and either don't lose seats or gain a few. I think predictions about the future really depend on that.

And I can see tuning out the house, but the Senate?

It's an easy thought trap to get stuck in but they fail to realize that a lot of society will actively encourage this discrimination. Y'know, like back before the Civil Rights Act.

"Society no longer accepts wholesale discrimination because it was made illegal to do so, therefore we don't need laws to force people to stop wholesale discrimination!"

Same bullshit I hear from people about the EPA. "Companies don't pollute like crazy anymore so what do we need the EPA for?"

KingK

It's an easy thought trap to get stuck in but they fail to realize that a lot of society will actively encourage this discrimination. Y'know, like back before the Civil Rights Act.

"Society no longer accepts wholesale discrimination because it was made illegal to do so, therefore we don't need laws to force people to stop wholesale discrimination!"

Same bullshit I hear from people about the EPA. "Companies don't pollute like crazy anymore so what do we need the EPA for?"
Well it's the same logic the supreme court used to throw out the VRA.

C'mon guys, everyone knows Democrats are going to win big in 2014.

+20 in the House break even in the Senate yeahhh boy

+5-10 in the House, -3 in the Senate

Chalk that up as another libertarian thought experiment with little real life relevance; libertarians play Dungeons & Dragons with reality instead of participating in it(or trying to change it). Yes, if a store in Seattle refused to serve black people - let's say the CRA was struck down - it would go out of business quite soon due to people boycotting.

But is that the case in...the backwoods of Ohio? What about Howell, Michigan (KKK base of the midwest). I'd rather have a law that guarantees equality than a vacuum in which someone can be discriminated against due to the bad luck of being from a small town. Same applies to gay marriage, and why I'd expect a Supreme Court ruling sooner rather than later.

Can't wait for Rand Paul to expound on this issue during primary debates in 2015/2016.

NRA blocking surgeon general nom... LOL. What a fucked up organization...

I hope someone pushes back on this as being anti-science. If they have well-researched studies proving that having a gun in the house is a net danger (due to murders of family members, accidents, suicides) instead of protection (which they do) then the NRA is blocking someone based on gut-based anti-science and should be expose for that. They are free to take that position but it should be exposed for being irrational and against the hard scientific evidence.

Wilsongt

I hope someone pushes back on this as being anti-science. If they have well-researched studies proving that having a gun in the house is a net danger (due to murders of family members, accidents, suicides) instead of protection (which they do) then the NRA is blocking someone based on gut-based anti-science and should be expose for that. They are free to take that position but it should be exposed for being irrational and against the hard scientific evidence.

No, from what I read, Dems are crumbling on this nomination like a cardboard box in the rain.

No, from what I read, Dems are crumbling on this nomination like a cardboard box in the rain.

Meh, I don't care if they don't stick with this nominee due to political reasons . . . I just want someone from a safe seat to get up and say that this position is anti-science. Play the long game and beat up your opposition for taking positions not supported by good science.

Not sure this was mentioned but ACA exchanges now exceed 5 million, is on pace for 5.5 this weekend and 6 million by march 31st, which the CBO predicted (in revision).

This does not count off-line enrollments.

It does not count medicaid or under 26, either.

When all the numbers are in in like July-August, the Dems better use them against the GOP because the numbers will prove them right.

On the national level, the shift away from a focus on income inequality and reining in Wall Street stems both from the economy, which is slowly improving, and the dominant issue of the day, which is now the crisis in Ukraine.

The aggressive actions of Russian President Vladimir Putin have eased the anxieties of Wall Streeters sick of being portrayed as the enemy. “We obviously see other things driving the news cycle,” a top industry executive said. “Ukraine keeps the focus off the evil 1 percent, so I guess we have Putin to thank for that. The improving economy helps as well.”

Thanks Putin! Says really where these peoples thinking is. Oh and why the hell is this an anonymous quote? What journalistic purpose does it serve other than to protect these idiots from someone realizing they're scum?

Another donor, citing problems with snow removal and the mayor’s SUV getting caught running red lights, said the fear had moved from de Blasio’s policies to his general competence.
These quotes kill me.

GhaleonEB

Meh, I don't care if they don't stick with this nominee due to political reasons . . . I just want someone from a safe seat to get up and say that this position is anti-science. Play the long game and beat up your opposition for taking positions not supported by good science.

That does not sound like something Democrats will do, outside of a small handful. Their normal practice is more akin to the cardboard in rain maneuver (love that image, it works painfully well). Figures we'd nuke the filibuster for administration appointments and Dems turn to infighting and crumbling under NRA pressure.

That does not sound like something Democrats will do, outside of a small handful. Their normal practice is more akin to the cardboard in rain maneuver (love that image, it works painfully well). Figures we'd nuke the filibuster for administration appointments and Dems turn to infighting and crumbling under NRA pressure.

Should have done it last year. And there is also the lame duck session if we lose the senate.

Thanks Putin! Says really where these peoples thinking is. Oh and why the hell is this an anonymous quote? What journalistic purpose does it serve other than to protect these idiots from someone realizing they're scum?

These quotes kill me.

Seriously Politico is such a disgrace to journalism it's embarrassing. We really need to teach politicians the art of throwing Washington reporters in front of trains more, it would make the world a better place.

Yep. Dems already assured of losing are hastening their demise with stunts like this.

Good thing I live in Ohio because there's no way I would vote for those Dems.

MN GOP State Rep: Pro-women bills make "us" (women) look like whiners

Minnesota state Rep. Andrea Kieffer (R) last week said that legislation to address equal pay and sick leave does not actually help women in the workplace, the Huffington Post reported.

"We heard several bills last week about women's issues and I kept thinking to myself, these bills are putting us backwards in time," Kieffer said at a hearing on a bill to address the gender pay gap, according to an audio recording posted by the Alliance for a Better Minnesota. "We are losing the respect that we so dearly want in the workplace by bringing up all these special bills for women and almost making us look like whiners."
Hilarious, and also proof that being a woman Republican doesn't make you "moderate" by default or more sympathetic to women's issues. Keep fucking that chicken.

The package that they're talking about sounds awesome, by the way:

- Closing the gender pay gap, requiring private businesses that contract with the state to report on pay equity within their workforce.
- Increasing income for working women and their families by increasing the minimum wage to $9.50.
- Expanding access to high-quality, affordable childcare.
- Expanding family and sick leave for working families, including paid sick and safe leave and expanding unpaid leave under the Minnesota Parental Leave Act.
- Enhance protections for victims of domestic violence.
- Encouraging women in non-traditional, high-wage jobs and support growth for women-owned small businesses.

Not sure this was mentioned but ACA exchanges now exceed 5 million, is on pace for 5.5 this weekend and 6 million by march 31st, which the CBO predicted (in revision).

This does not count off-line enrollments.

It does not count medicaid or under 26, either.

When all the numbers are in in like July-August, the Dems better use them against the GOP because the numbers will prove them right.
I saw Bryon York arguing the numbers should be viewed along the line of:

"Key number is net newly insured: total insured & paid minus number who lost coverage because of Obamacare."

Snarky way to spin the success into a net increase is only about 1 million.

Seriously Politico is such a disgrace to journalism it's embarrassing. We really need to teach politicians the art of throwing Washington reporters in front of trains more, it would make the world a better place.
I found this gif that goes well with the article

a_560x375.jpg

"Key number is net newly insured: total insured & paid minus number who lost coverage because of Obamacare."

I don't know why they always ignore the number of people signed up under Medicaid or the under-26ers who have insurance now thanks to their parents' plan, or why they're using the bunk number of 5 million people who've lost insurance.

Oh wait yes i do

Americans being Americans, I wouldn't be surprised if we blow past 6 million with a lot of last-minute people signing up in the last couple weeks.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2014/03/colorado-senate-close-hickenlooper-grows-lead.html

PPP's newest Colorado poll finds that the Senate race remains very competitive, although not that much closer with Cory Gardner in the race than it was with Ken Buck. Our last poll of the state, in early December, found Mark Udall leading Buck by 4 points. Udall starts out with a 2 point lead over Cory Gardner at 42/40. Gardner starts out the race with just under 50% name recognition, and voters with an opinion about him are pretty evenly divided. The close division mirrors how voters feel about Udall's job performance- 41% approve and 40% disapprove of him, almost identical to where we found him in December.

Udall would have wider leads if one of the other Republican candidates was to win the primary. He would lead Owen Hill 43/38 and Randy Baumgardner 44/37. Gardner's entry into the race has broken open the GOP primary field though. Gardner's now at 44% to 15% for Baumgardner, 6% for Hill, 4% for Tom Janich, and 3% for Mark Aspiri. 29% remain undecided but Gardner certainly now looks like the clear favorite for the Republican nomination.

There's little doubt that it's the unpopularity of Obamacare and Barack Obama himself that's making the Colorado Senate contest look so potentially competitive. Only 39% of voters in the state support Obamacare to 51% who are opposed to it, and 58% think its rollout has been unsuccessful to 37% who rate it a success. The President has a 43/53 approval spread in the state, which he won by 6 points in 2012.

Things are looking up for Democrats in the Colorado Governor's race though. John Hickenlooper's approval rating is back on positive ground at 48/41, after slipping into negative territory on our December poll. Hickenlooper's also back to having double digit leads over all of his potential Republican opponents. Bob Beauprez comes closest at 48/38, followed by Scott Gessler at 48/36, Tom Tancredo at 50/36, Greg Brophy at 48/33, and Mike Kopp at 49/32. Hickenlooper's lead over the four Republicans included in the December poll has increased from an average of 8 points to an average of 14 points.
Beauprez's entry into the field has dramatically reshifted the Republican race for Governor. Our December poll found Tom Tancredo with a 19 point lead over Scott Gessler for the nomination, but now it's looking like a pretty close three way race. Tancredo still leads, but with only 24% to 20% for Beauprez and 18% for Gessler. Kopp at 8%, Brophy at 7%, Steve House at 3%, and Roni Bell Sylvester at 1% round out the GOP primary field.

Hickenlooper is looking better, but the Senate race has strong potential to make it a fourth straight election cycle where Colorado is at the center of the nation's attention.

Which is pretty pathetic because only like 250k lost coverage. Most of the people who received those cancelled letters either were exempted or moved into a new plan off-exchange.

I also forgot to post a more sobering poll stuff.

The headline number from the telephone survey of more than 3,000 people is that 34 percent of respondents without insurance say they plan to stay that way, even after being told that the new law requires them to get covered or pay a penalty. What's more interesting is who's saying that:

It's not just the young. Of the 1,249 respondents without insurance, people age 18 to 29 were in fact the least likely to say they will remain uninsured, with just 28 percent making that claim. Among those 50 to 64, the figure was 33 percent; for those 30 to 49, 39 percent said they would stay uninsured.

iM.jWTItcIxE.png

50 percent of Republicans who aren't getting insurance say it's because they don't like Obamacare. Just 5 percent of Democrats and 16 percent of independents said the same thing.

But that campaign is only working on men. Almost one-quarter of men without insurance who say they'll stay that way said it's because they oppose the Affordable Care Act. Just 8 percent of women said the same thing.

But the young really do think they're invincible. Almost one-third of those 18 to 29 who said they won't get insurance said it's because they don't need it. Just 6 percent of those 30 to 49 said they same, and 11 percent of those 50 to 64.

he Barack Obama administration is doing a terrible job of publicizing the law's subsidies. The people most likely to say they won't get insurance because it's too expensive were those earning $30,000 to $50,000 a year -- those who probably stand to benefit the most from financial assistance. Sure enough, one-third of respondents in that category didn't know about the subsidies.

But Republicans aren't helping. Republicans were more than twice as likely as Democrats -- 42 percent to 20 percent -- to say there are no tax credits available under Obamacare to make insurance more affordable. It's hard not to think the party's constant denunciation of the law is clouding Republicans' understanding of what help the law actually contains.

Although the most common reason for doing without coverage is the expense, 70 percent of those planning to stay uninsured did not know about the subsidies afforded under Obamacare that reduce the cost.

Basically: There's still too many young people who think they're invincible (but probably less than we thought). The real bad thing is the GOP anti-campaign has been somewhat successful. Most male republicans who won't buy insurance will do it solely because they hate Obamacare/Obama. Furthermore, waaaaaaaay too many Republicans don't know about the subsidies.

Basically, if the GOP didn't intentionally confuse their base and convince them to not sign up, we'd hit 7 million original projection despite the botched rollout, IMO.

Chumly

Which is pretty pathetic because only like 250k lost coverage. Most of the people who received those cancelled letters either were exempted or moved into a new plan off-exchange.

I also forgot to post a more sobering poll stuff.

iM.jWTItcIxE.png

Basically: There's still too many young people who think they're invincible (but probably less than we thought). The real bad thing is the GOP anti-campaign has been somewhat successful. Most male republicans who won't buy insurance will do it solely because they hate Obamacare/Obama. Furthermore, waaaaaaaay too many Republicans don't know about the subsidies.

Basically, if the GOP didn't intentionally confuse their base and convince them to not sign up, we'd hit 7 million original projection despite the botched rollout, IMO.

Were going to hit the 7 million number if you include people signing up for plans off exchange. For example when ACA Signups emailed my local new CoOp here was the results

IOWA

Individual/Family members: 12,633 (6,000 on exchange/6,633 off exchange)

NEBRASKA

Individual/Family members: 20,836 (11,926 on exchange/8,910 off exchange)
They are roughly doubling across both states the plans on the exchange with off exchange sign ups. They are the same plans with the same pool of people.

Highmark press release as of ~march 11th

Pennsylvania: 108,390 total with 74,006 on-exchange and 34,384 off-exchange
West Virginia: 14,980 total with 10,970 on-exchange and 4,010 off-exchange
Delaware: 9,244 total with 6,521 on-exchange and 2,723 off-exchange

WellPoint

Of the half million new members Wellpoint said that have applied for coverage so far, more than 80 percent came through public exchanges
THis was as of 12/31/2013 so around 100,000 people signed up off exchange

Washington
OLYMPIA, Wash. – Washington state’s individual health insurance market – both inside and outside Washington Healthplanfinder (Exchange) – is expected to expand to more than 300,000 people by March 31, 2014, according to information reported by health insurers to the Office of the Insurance Commissioner and figures provided by Washington Healthplanfinder.
“The individual health insurance market has always been one of the most vulnerable markets in our state,” said Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler. “This was especially true before the Affordable Care Act. These numbers show that enrollment is working—and not just for Apple Health. People who buy their own health insurance, either with or without a subsidy, are getting covered.”

Enrollment in the individual market
84,287 People enrolled in Qualified Health Plans inside the Exchange (as of Feb. 6, 2014)
184,317 People enrolled in individual health plans outside of the Exchange (as of Jan. 31, 2014)
31,400 Projected new enrollees both inside and outside the Exchange for Feb. and March 2014
300,004 Project enrollees in individual market (inside and outside Exchange) by March 31, 2014
85,372 People who have completed Exchange applications, but haven’t paid yet (as of Feb. 6, 2014)

Among those 50 to 64, the figure was 33 percent; for those 30 to 49, 39 percent said they would stay uninsured.

And the funny thing is that it will be those 'rugged self-reliance' people that will eventually go into the emergency room and end up not paying their bill. Thus, they will be the 'takers' that they endlessly whine about. Go Figure.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, another 15 minutes passed by. You know what that means. Time to invoke Godwin's Law:

"I hope it’s not working," Ken Langone, the billionaire co-founder of Home Depot and major GOP donor, said of populist political appeals. "Because if you go back to 1933, with different words, this is what Hitler was saying in Germany. You don’t survive as a society if you encourage and thrive on envy or jealousy."

This dude is the same douchebag that threatened Pope Francis to stop making rich people sad otherwise he'd stop donating to the Church.

Well, another 15 minutes passed by. You know what that means. Time to invoke Godwin's Law:

This dude is the same douchebag that threatened Pope Francis to stop making rich people sad otherwise he'd stop donating to the Church.

a_560x375.jpg

I don't care I already posted it on this page.

Have to wonder what most Republicans think will happen if they enroll under Obamacare. Like they're going to walk into the doctor's office and see this

obama-doctor-needle.jpg

(I feel so dirty posting this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom