• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
Why must Israel be seen as someone who doesn't want peace snatching defeat from victory? Why can it not be that they just don't trust the other party?

Have they launched an attack I missed? It takes two to party and Iran isn't force for good who just as been bullied by Israel. They financed attacks on Israel.
It isn't a question of must, it's a question of stance. Iran certainly isn't an innocent party in all this, but in the present it has exercised a willingness to pursue detente diplomatically and pragmatically, a willingness that Israel (as yet) has not. Israel wants peace, but its political leadership has failed continually to demonstrate a drive for, let alone openness toward an equitable peace. As with the sticky issues of the settlements, the default bargaining position has seemed to be "capitulate and we will have achieved it". That isn't peace between equals. That's peace between victors and losers, greaters and lessers. No nation state or people on the planet, yours included, is going to grant someone the benefit of the doubt when what they want from you is asymmetric.

It goes beyond base distrust and well into base contempt for regarding Iran as an equal party to a diplomatic solution. Iran has quietly abandoned that self-held belief for the sake of getting something done, and Israel, for probably a multitude of reasons, still has yet to catch up and adjust its tact. Probably a great deal of it is as mundane as ego of the principal actors involved in all the bluster and grandstanding. There is implicit resistance there that builds against changing a direction when considerable time, money, and material has been invested into advancing it. That Iran got there first isn't a strike against Israel, but it nonetheless remains a problem that Israel has to grit its teeth and fix if it is to be at all serious about a realistic peace.

What I'm saying is nobody is proposing 'tightening the screws' unless Iran says no. These sanctions don't actually happen unless Iran says no. I don't think threatening to is the same as doing something. And that's certainly more true on the international stage where threats are more often bluster than not.

And the rhetoric about lobbies is so overblown, and sometimes skirts into language and descriptions which have a not so nice history and portray thinks like AIPAC as the evil jewish financiers of antisemitic slurs rather than just an effective lobby that faces relatively little counterforce.
And what I'm saying is that that's overly sparkly finish on a myriad of differing opinions, some of which explicitly argue that the path forward should not be an equivalent tit-for-tat exchange of concessions with each side viewed as an equal party to the solution. That undercurrent has argued that the path forward is to wring concessions out of Iran and throw some crumbs at it afterward, after the side doing all the wringing gets some nebulous idea that it's satisfied. If that undercurrent remains unexpressed forever, then fantastic. Just be wary.

And no shit lobbies aren't evil, but how does that at all pertain to what I'm saying? They don't have to be bad, objectionable people to order a course of madness, with a side of geopolitical suicide. I'm sure John McCain is nice to children and an affable person most of the time, when he isn't talking to his wife. Doesn't change the fact that he's the most ludicrous fucking aspirant to the arena of international diplomacy I've seen in public in quite some time, has quite possibly been gravely wrong on every single diplomatic decision point going back years, and shows no sign of stopping. That he's probably a mostly okay human being has no bearing on how I feel about the insane adventures he wants your nation to embark upon. Ditto AIPAC.

Sweet Jesus!

Maybe she has a chance?

Yeah I'm definitely gonna donate to her as soon as I can, even if she doesn't win I hope it at least revives the Dems in Texas, I would love to see Cruz fight for his seat in 2018.

If Davis pulls off a miracle and gets elected could she expand Medicaid without the approval of the legislature? I know one of the key things Perry has done as governor is concentrate a lot of power around his office, so I don't know if she can pull a Kasich and do it by executive order.

Bengahzi?

Other highlights to remind people that this is where a lot of 'laws' come from [the omnibus spending bill]

I'd like to see Obama push embassy security funding at the State of the Union, and I mean directly call out the GOP over this, but I don't think Obama is that confrontational.

What about the other rough edges to the bill, like the cuts to the Preventive Health Care Fund and the incandescent lit bulbs shit?

Chichikov

I am personally dumbfounded as to why Israel doesn't support a deal with Iran anyway. Without this deal, Iran could make nukes whenever they wanted, and Israel doesn't have the military power to stop them. In fact the only military option that could stop Iran from making nukes is a full, United States led, boots on the ground invasion. The scary thing is, that is probably what Israel wants. At this point I would consider Israel as a greater threat to stability that Iran.
Because Netanyahu uses Iran as a way to distract the people of how terrible he is at his job and because the military wants it budget to continue to grow even though Israel face no serious conventional army anymore.

Also, once you spend years comparing Iran to Nazi Germany and everyone who ever engage them in diplomatic effort to Neville Chamberlain (I shit you not, his frame of reference starts at the Munich Agreement and ends at Auschwitz) it's a bit hard to walk it back.

Diablos

So it looks like 1/14/2014 will be remembered as a date when both unemployment insurance and net neutrality suffered huge blows. A sad day for protecting the interests and rights of a free and open society indeed.

And the assurances we get...

"We still think we'll be able to hash out a deal on the unemployment extension towards the end of this month, don't worry."
"We still think our customers will have access to an open Internet despite this ruling, don't worry."

Yeah fucking right.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Towards the end of the segment, Foster confronted Miller with a basic question. “How much is it worth to prevent people from toking up on their own? Is it worth $20 billion per year to stop people toking on their own?” he asked. “Is it worth turning thousands and thousands of people into criminals who otherwise would not be?”

“I don’t know what your question means,” Miller responded, while lamenting that “there is so much money to be made in this industry.”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fbn-host...ting-individual-liberty-on-guns-but-not-weed/

What a nimrod.

dabig2

So it looks like 1/14/2014 will be remembered as a date when both unemployment insurance and net neutrality suffered huge blows. A sad day for protecting the interests and rights of a free and open society indeed.

And the assurances we get...

"We still think we'll be able to hash out a deal on the unemployment extension towards the end of this month, don't worry."
"We still think our customers will have access to an open Internet despite this ruling, don't worry."

Yeah fucking right.

Not going to lie, those 2 things were the very first things I was greeted with when I woke up today and decided to check on the day's events. Wanted to just go back to sleep afterwards.

But neither fight is entirely finished. It's just...disappointing. At least the OK ban on gay marriage was ruled unconstitutional. Saved a shit day.

Diablos

Net neutrality has a long way to go. The overreacting in the other thread is kind of humorous. Lots of shopped photos of tiered Internet "packages", really played out.
Still, disappointing.

UE extension seems like a pissing contest at this point, really. I admire Reid's tenacity at times but he should just accept a three month extension from the onset. Let the GOP run with it unless they go as far as gutting Obamacare or something. It's only three fucking months. People really need this money. And as we now wait until the end of the month, we're looking at, for some folks, an entire month of no UE deposit. Why? Because of a pissing match -- a pissing match, that, by the way, may not even win over the House. All the more reason why they should have stopped being manchildren yesterday and fucking passed some kind of three month extension so they can see what the House GOP does. If that fails THEN go back to the drawing board one more time until it dies. This whole process has been one step forward, two steps back. Like everything else in DC today.

Oblivion

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/i-just-f...rine-ham-clashes-with-oreilly-again-over-pot/

Bill O' invited that libertarian chick who he was totally dismissive over about pot legalization last week again. Pretty entertaining to see how frustrated she gets due to Bill O's stupidity. He seems to claim that he has no problems with adults doing whatever drugs they want, but he's against pot legalization because he fears for the kiddies.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Also, Boner's question is retarded. Why weren't there any inspections since the 90s? Really? If the free market is so wonderful and perfect, what would be the reason for inspections? Shouldn't Freedom Industries (good god, this is too perfect) have made sure things were working properly all by themselves?

It turns our as part of a recent merger/buyout, one of the conditions was to repair some damage that allowed the spill to be so massive. So it seems like there was a non-government inspection done, with issues discovered, and a fix was supposed to have taken place.

TODD: I have to say, I’m sort of dumb founded that, you know, I know people have a low opinion of Congress, but to have… basically to disenfranchise nearly a million people, and not having representation in the U.S. House of Representatives, that’s — that is not a healthy thing. For a year. A whole calendar year, Governor.

McCRORY: Chuck, I’m sworn to uphold the constitutional laws of North Carolina, and I can’t change those laws between now and that election. And, again, I have to uphold the election laws, and I made a good decision — I think the only difference in any other option was about two months. and, Chuck, you know and I know that not much goes on in Washington between July and the election anyway, which is a sad commentary on Washington politics.

Sorry voters you get no representation because I've preordained nothing is going to happen and you don't need it.

NC is the most depressing story of the last 2 years. All around disgrace to democracy, equal rights, economic security, and the country as a whole. The Governor does realize that stuff does pass and representatives do more than vote?

FLEABttn

Banned
Also, Boner's question is retarded. Why weren't there any inspections since the 90s? Really? If the free market is so wonderful and perfect, what would be the reason for inspections? Shouldn't Freedom Industries (good god, this is too perfect) have made sure things were working properly all by themselves?

Note, I'm not playing the devil's advocate, but this is "the argument":

The existence of governmental regulations and inspections make for a crutch for companies to lean on when they don't self inspect. The onus is still on Freedom Industries to have prevented this, but by the government being the people who inspect, this "makes" Freedom Industries complacent. If it weren't for this complacency "caused" by the government, if it weren't for Freedom Industries being able to pass the buck on responsibility, they would be required to self inspect to prevent this, because free market would punish them.

And again, the argument and what reality would be like aren't one in the same, but this is the argument.

How Rush Limbaugh Decides What Is True
I didn't think I was risking anything. I really didn't. If I'd had the slightest doubt of his innocence, I woulda never opened my mouth. If I thought that there was just a tiny thread of possibility that what Anita Hill was saying and what the Democrat witnesses were saying was true, I woulda stayed silent. But I didn't. I went to the equivalent of the mountaintops and started shouting. Now, why? Character, conservatism, and my knowledge of the left.

Christie may well be worth defending, is my point. I don't know. He may well be worth a Clarence Thomas-type defense, but notice that nobody is coming forth with one. They've all got that caveat. "He's home free IF he's not lying." This is not a comment about Governor Christie, so please don't misunderstand or be confused. I'm trying to illustrate (What's the word?) the emptiness of the Republican ... I'm trying to make the point that over there in the RINO Club, the Republican establishment, the wildebeests, whatever, there's not an ideology. There's not a belief system. There's not a foundation on which to base a defense, as I had with Clarence Thomas—and, by the way, he's not alone.

Jimmy Fallon feat. Bruce Springsteen - "Gov. Christie Traffic Jam" ("Born to Run" parody)

Meanwhile, Christie vetoed a simple bill that would have helped trans people tremendously. So moderate! Much reasonable! Wow! 2016!

Wilsongt

New Republican Bastion of North Carolina, ladies and gentlemen.

The 900,000 poorest working families in North Carolina just got another tax hike from the conservatives who swept state legislature elections in 2010.

The change took effect at the beginning of 2014, meaning that the taxes those families file this spring will be the last to feature the state’s tax break for the working poor. The provision, known as the Earned Income Tax Credit or EITC, will also be 10 percent less generous in its final year. State-level EITCs work by tacking on an additional benefit to the federal EITC, and the law repealing North Carolina’s EITC for 2014 also cut the credit from 5 percent to 4.5 percent of the federal benefit.

In order to qualify for the federal or state-level tax credit, tax filers must earn less than about $50,000. The goal of the credit is to buoy the incomes of working people whose employers pay them too little to provide the economic stability that having a job is supposed to ensure. Many conservatives who oppose other policies to boost poor peoples’ income, such as minimum wage hikes, support the EITC as an alternative way of keeping working people out of poverty without interfering with how private businesses operate.

But that argument didn’t carry the day among North Carolina Republicans, and lawmakers slashed and then eliminated the state’s EITC during last year’s legislative session. That change was overshadowed by the GOP’s broader changes to the basic shape of the income tax code in the state to favor the rich and harm the rest.

Along with the disappearance of the EITC, low-income North Carolinians will be paying higher taxes in order to pay for a tax cut for the richest people in the state. Republicans moved from a two-tiered, progressive income tax system to a flat tax rate of 5.8 percent. A person who earns a million dollars per year will get a roughly $10,000 tax cut thanks to that move, but the bottom 80 percent of the income distribution will see their taxes rise. That means that four out of five taxpayers in the state were going to pay more next year even before the EITC repeal.

The combined effects of those tax changes give poor North Carolinians some incentive to move out of the state, a population shift Gov. Pat McCrory (R) hopes to encourage.
There are 25 states that still offer some form of an EITC, including McCrory’s northern neighbor of Virginia, and the District of Columbia still maintains the credit as well.

Oblivion

Note, I'm not playing the devil's advocate, but this is "the argument":

The existence of governmental regulations and inspections make for a crutch for companies to lean on when they don't self inspect. The onus is still on Freedom Industries to have prevented this, but by the government being the people who inspect, this "makes" Freedom Industries complacent. If it weren't for this complacency "caused" by the government, if it weren't for Freedom Industries being able to pass the buck on responsibility, they would be required to self inspect to prevent this, because free market would punish them.

That still doesn't seem to be a compelling argument. This would be an admission that Freedom Industries needed the government to babysit them, otherwise they would have never gone through with the inspections that they hate having to go through.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That still doesn't seem to be a compelling argument. This would be an admission that Freedom Industries needed the government to babysit them, otherwise they would have never gone through with the inspections that they hate having to go through.

I think it is slightly different than "an admission that Freedom Industries needed the government to babysit them".

More like "Freedom Industries" chose to focus its efforts/money on other things relying on the government's inspections. In other words they acted in the interests of their shareholders by not spending on redundant inspections the government was doing (or supposed to be doing).

Hilariously, they moved the un-spilled chemicals out of one un-inspected leaking tank into another potentially even worse tank.
http://www.charlestondailymail.com/News/201401140209

Karakand

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/i-just-f...rine-ham-clashes-with-oreilly-again-over-pot/

Bill O' invited that libertarian chick who he was totally dismissive over about pot legalization last week again. Pretty entertaining to see how frustrated she gets due to Bill O's stupidity. He seems to claim that he has no problems with adults doing whatever drugs they want, but he's against pot legalization because he fears for the kiddies.

Was she able to point out that currently it's far easier for a kid to buy illegal drugs (since, you know, dealers aren't worried about their weed license being taken away) than it is for them to buy alcohol or cigarettes?

FLEABttn

Banned
That still doesn't seem to be a compelling argument.

To you or me, sure.

This would be an admission that Freedom Industries needed the government to babysit them, otherwise they would have never gone through with the inspections that they hate having to go through.

Not playing devil's advocate, again, but this would be taken as an admission that the government is incapable of properly regulating and, despite that Freedom Industries has shown they don't have the propensity to self-regulate, if you highly suggest that they do via removing government regulation, it would be in their best interest to because the free market will punish them otherwise.
Not that this guarantees better regulation, or any regulation at all. The theory is that economic forces will leverage the company into self-regulation, but economic forces haven't been enough to force that regardless.

Which makes perfect sense if you hang out in /r/Libertarian or /r/Anarcho_Capitalism.

DC court judge ruled on the ACA's provisions regarding the argument that the federal exchanges can't give out subsidies.

I'm going to make this short. He basically called the anti-Obamacare people idiots for wasting everyone's time.

KingK

Couldn't the kid buy bootleg alcohol/cigarettes that way, too?

Of course, but there's a lot less suppliers of bootleg alcohol/cigarettes than there are suppliers of weed. Because weed is illegal, so everyone who gets it has to go through illegal suppliers who don't care about selling to kids. Hell, nearly everyone I knew who I could get weed from in high school were fellow students. And it was always much easier to get weed than alcohol (although it wasn't exactly difficult to get alcohol either, as long as someone has an older sibling).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
To you or me, sure.

Not playing devil's advocate, again, but this would be taken as an admission that the government is incapable of properly regulating and, despite that Freedom Industries has shown they don't have the propensity to self-regulate, if you highly suggest that they do via removing government regulation, it would be in their best interest to because the free market will punish them otherwise.
Not that this guarantees better regulation, or any regulation at all. The theory is that economic forces will leverage the company into self-regulation, but economic forces haven't been enough to force that regardless.

Which makes perfect sense if you hang out in /r/Libertarian or /r/Anarcho_Capitalism.

Bolded is especially funny. I'm sure everyone is now going to be weary of buying Freedom Industries branded products next time they go out to casually shop for their monthly supply of hazardous chemicals.

CA Rep. Buck McKeon (R) retiring. It's swingyish, Romney barely won it.

NBC poll says Christie's favorable ratings haven't changed much since the bridge scandal, but Clinton beats him 50-37. A month ago, she only led by 3, 48-45.

Ha. You're totally playing devil's advocate!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
CA Rep. Buck McKeon (R) retiring. It's swingyish, Romney barely won it.

NBC poll says Christie's favorable ratings haven't changed much since the bridge scandal, but Clinton beats him 50-37. A month ago, she only led by 3, 48-45.

So the scandal isn't really changing any perceptions on Christie, shocking I know, but is giving Clinton a much bigger lead. I think Christie's favorability ratings will stay solid until he actually has to start campaigning and people see what he's like. People won't like him so much when he yells at their neighbor at a town hall (he's totally done this before).

Diablos

(Reuters) - A judge on Wednesday upheld subsidies at the heart of President Barack Obama's healthcare overhaul, rejecting one of the main legal challenges to the policy by conservatives opposed to an expansion of the federal government.

A ruling in favor of a lawsuit brought by individuals and businesses in Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia would have crippled the implementation of the law by making health insurance unaffordable for many people.

In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman in Washington D.C. wrote that Congress clearly intended to make the subsidies available nationwide under the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

"There is evidence throughout the statute of Congress's desire to ensure broad access to affordable health coverage," the judge wrote.

In 2012 the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a requirement of the law, commonly called Obamacare, that most Americans buy health insurance or pay a tax penalty.

The subsidies, in the form of tax credits, are available to people with annual incomes of up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level, or $94,200 for a family of four.

The lawsuit by conservative legal groups asserted that the wording of the 2010 law allowed subsidies to help people obtain insurance only in exchanges established by states, not those set up by the federal government.

Michael Carvin, a lawyer for those who brought the suit, filed a notice that he would appeal the ruling.

"This decision guts the choice made by a majority of the states to stay out of the exchange program," Sam Kazman, another lawyer for the plaintiffs, said in a statement.

The law aims to provide health coverage to millions of uninsured or under-insured Americans by offering private insurance at federally subsidized rates through new online health insurance marketplaces in all 50 states and in Washington, D.C.

Only 14 states opted to create and operate their own exchanges, leaving the Obama administration to operate a federal marketplace for the remaining 36 states that can be accessed through the HealthCare.gov website.

A spokeswoman for the Justice Department, which is defending the law, said officials were pleased with the decision.

Ron Pollack, executive director of Families USA, a nonprofit group that supports Obamacare, said the ruling was vital to the health insurance overhaul.

"This (case) had been the most significant existential threat to the Affordable Care Act," he said.

The law is considered Obama's signature domestic policy achievement. His administration's flawed rollout of the HealthCare.gov website in October drew sharp criticism from both opponents and supporters of the law.

Republican lawmakers and conservatives strongly opposed the law, saying it represented an overreach by the federal government.

The case is Halbig v. Sebelius, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, No. 1:13-cv-623.
Whew, we're in the clear for now! I wonder if this goes to the SCOTUS.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...EA0E19620140115?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Diablos

Good to hear. Regardless of one's opinion on the Obamacare/the PPACA as a particular policy, no one should want people to have abide by the requirements of the law without the subsidies intended to pay for them.
Is this really the end though? Red states are gonna keep on being red states.

Wilsongt

Obama was in NC and mentioned Kay Hagan. Bad news for Kay hagan.

And Fox News is running with the story about her not being present because Obama is bad news for dems.

Is this really the end though? Red states are gonna keep on being red states.

I already commented on this:

DC court judge ruled on the ACA's provisions regarding the argument that the federal exchanges can't give out subsidies.

I'm going to make this short. He basically called the anti-Obamacare people idiots for wasting everyone's time.

No other judges are going to disagree in other districts. The argument laid by the anti-obamacare people here is plainly stupid, as the judge in this case pointed out.

What's going to happen is other judges will agree, the appellate judges will agree, and the SCOTUS will never take the case up as a result.

This isn't like the individual mandate which had very clear constitutional questions. Even if you believe in one side, you could entertain the thought that the other side had a valid argument to make.

No such argument exists here. This is just a move of desperation and even conservative judges won't rule in their favor (at least at the appellate level).

Well, it's time for more BENGHAZIBENGHAZIBENGHAZI, but wait a minute, this isn't from Fox News, it's from NBC: http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_new...on-benghazi-the-attacks-were-preventable?lite

A Senate panel faults the State Department and intelligence agencies for failing to thwart the September 11, 2012 assault on American outposts in Benghazi and says that the attacks were “preventable.”

In a statement on the declassified report released by the Senate Intelligence Committee, lawmakers said that “the attacks were preventable, based on extensive intelligence reporting on the terrorist activity in Libya—to include prior threats and attacks against Western targets—and given the known security shortfalls at the U.S. Mission.”

The panel takes both the State Department and the intelligence community to task for failing to upgrading security despite the warning signs that an attack could happen. Its findings largely mirror those of an independent review board, which released its findings in December 2012.

"The State Department should have increased its security posture more significantly in Benghazi based on the deteriorating security situation on the ground and [intelligence community] threat reporting on the prior attacks against Westerners in Benghazi," the Senate report states.

The bipartisan report includes over a dozen recommendations for the prevention of future security breaches.

Its findings are based on a series of hearings, staff briefings and in-person meetings, interviews with U.S. personnel on the ground during the attacks, and reviews of documents.

The Benghazi attack left four Americans dead, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.

While members of the committee stated they have "differing views" on the controversial talking points provided to lawmakers by the CIA in the wake of the attack, lawmakers agree that intelligence officials should simply provide lawmakers the facts in the future.

"In responding to future requests for unclassified talking points from Congress, the Intelligence Community should simply tell Congress which facts are unclassified and let Members of Congress provide additional context for the public," they write.

Diablos

I already commented on this:

No other judges are going to disagree in other districts. The argument laid by the anti-obamacare people here is plainly stupid, as the judge in this case pointed out.

What's going to happen is other judges will agree, the appellate judges will agree, and the SCOTUS will never take the case up as a result.

This isn't like the individual mandate which had very clear constitutional questions. Even if you believe in one side, you could entertain the thought that the other side had a valid argument to make.

No such argument exists here. This is just a move of desperation and even conservative judges won't rule in their favor (at least at the appellate level).
Please be right x infinity.

Oblivion

I think it is slightly different than "an admission that Freedom Industries needed the government to babysit them".

More like "Freedom Industries" chose to focus its efforts/money on other things relying on the government's inspections. In other words they acted in the interests of their shareholders by not spending on redundant inspections the government was doing (or supposed to be doing).

Hilariously, they moved the un-spilled chemicals out of one un-inspected leaking tank into another potentially even worse tank.
http://www.charlestondailymail.com/News/201401140209

But that still makes no sense. If you're in charge of Freedom Industries, and you figured the EPA or whoever was gonna come in and do what ever minimal amount of inspections they were required to do, then one would think that you would make sure things are in proper working order for when that time comes.

Of course, that wasn't even the case with these guys. The AP story said that because FI is a storage containment company, they were COMPLETELY exempt from regulations. Period. Thus making it the quintessential experiment on how responsible companies would be if they were left to their own devices.

In other court news 5 men might tell women that people yelling at them and making a very difficult choice even more stressful is constitutionally protected speech so, 'suck it up'.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/01/argument-recap-buffer-zones-maybe-yes-but-how-big/

Between the complete silence of Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr., on the issue on Wednesday and the very active commentary and questioning of Justice Elena Kagan seems to lie the fate of state laws that seek to protect abortion clinics, their patients, and their staffs. It seemed apparent, in a new “buffer zone” case from Massachusetts, that the Chief Justice holds the key vote on how far such zones are likely to be restricted, but that Kagan may help provide some cover for a decisive ruling that mandated narrower zones.

The three dissenters from the Court’s last major ruling in favor of abortion clinic buffer zones left no doubt in the hearing on McCullen v. Coakley that they have not changed their minds, and it appeared more than likely that Justice Samuel A. Alito, Jr., will join their opposition. If the Chief Justice were also to become an ally, buffer zones that are not confined explicitly to stopping violence or actual physical obstruction may well be doomed altogether — on strict First Amendment principles.

Ready for some completely nonsensical comments from scalia and other conservative justices?

Justice Antonin Scalia (one of the dissenters when the Court upheld a different kind of buffer zone in 2000) led the verbal attack on the Massachusetts law on Wednesday, repeatedly insisting that what the anti-abortion challengers want to do is not to protest at all, but just “to talk to the people.” If they actually were staging protests, he said, it might be permissible to require them to stand back for thirty-five feet. Justice Alito also said explicitly that “what these people want to do is speak quietly.”
First of all that's BS and secondly what about the right of the women to not talk to them?

And ginsberg continues to be the most socially aware justice there is
Justice Ginsburg’s participation left little doubt that she thought Massachusetts had reasons to act as it did, given “a considerable history of disturbance” outside clinics in the state. State officials, she said, had no way to know in advance when violence might break out, so they had to create an empty zone around the clinics.

And 'moderate' Kennedy made sure to let his 'moderateness' show

But the overall thrust of Kennedy’s questions and comments was that he perceived the Massachusetts law as a one-sided restriction on discussions of abortion, not about preventing violence. For example, he suggested that the law does appear to create a ban on comments about abortion only to those who are opposed, saying that the law would permit a clinic staff person to welcome a patient about to have an abortion, even to tell her how important it was for her to have come to the clinic.

That was a reference to a part of the law that allows clinic staff members to come and go in the buffer zone, so long as they are doing so as part of their employment. Although state officials have interpreted that as not giving them the freedom to promote abortion, Kennedy said that would indicate that the law was even more of an attempt to suppress speech about abortion.

I agreed with the courts decision in the Westboro case as those protesters were not interfering in the funerals as disgusting as their demonstrations were, these people yell, scream, show nasty pictures, insult, scam (there have been reports of them posing as police offers to get the patients information) and promote no kind of dialoge. There is a very real reason why the state can create these zones.

Well, it's time for more BENGHAZIBENGHAZIBENGHAZI, but wait a minute, this isn't from Fox News, it's from NBC: http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_new...on-benghazi-the-attacks-were-preventable?lite

This isn't 'BENGHAZI!!!!' This is important actual Benghazi stuff. We shouldn't forget what happened in Benghazi, four Americans died. Looking into that isn't the problem, its the hysteria that sees conspiracies or willful negligence on the part of Obama.

The information in this report is important and should guide future policy to protect diplomats in the future.

Benghazi was a failure but like other terrorist attacks its not the presidents fault and nobody wanted it to happen. There were failures on the administration's part. There is no harm in saying that.

PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls 38m
Our new NH poll finds little movement since September- Jeanne Shaheen leads Scott Brown 46/43, was 48/44 then

PublicPolicyPolling ‏@ppppolls 14 Jan
Hagan is down 1 or 2 points to all of her potential GOP opponents. She's at 41-42%, they're at 42-44%:

PD vindicated.

Probably called PD and his family.

My dad works for the state. Needless to say he hates Snyder.

The problem is that Michigan's democrat party isn't particularly good, and we had 8 years of Jenny From The Block, who is basically W Bush status here. And I think republicans have done a good job tying the democrat party to Detroit's failures, especially in relation to scaring suburbs (ie democrats will send your hard earned tax dollars to welfare moms in Detroit).

ivysaur12

Banned
So, this twitter handle called the Reagan Coalition has been promoting tweets recently with links to their site and articles. This is one of their stunning articles:

Here’s Why Liberal Talk About Income Inequality Is Just Talk: How Their Obsession Is Only Used For Show

After looking back on all the different types of governments and different models of society throughout history, there’s little question that the more they focus on income inequality, the more the poor suffer. One of the major reasons for this is that with more focus, societies tend to go down the road of income redistribution. Beyond that, is there any doubt that even if you are poor, it is far better to be poor in a free market democracy like the US instead of the old Soviet Union, Cuba, or Vietnam? Isn’t it interesting to see how, in more modern times, places like China experience tremendous economic growth through the embrace of capitalistic policies (the same that made America a superpower)? At the same time, we are seeing liberal Democrats in America embrace some of the same policies that led to hundreds of millions of Chinese, Cubans, and Vietnamese living in huts on less than a dollar a day!

Liberals, like Barrack Obama, the Kennedy’s, and idiots like Michael Moore, are wrong when they talk about income inequality. In fact, they’re not just wrong, they’re hypocrites. Obviously, if someone has truly rare skills and they work 60 hours a week, they deserve a higher income than someone who is uneducated and only works part-time at a menial job. Yet you do not see liberals like Obama or Al Gore or Bill Clinton giving back their millions of dollars or refusing to work for an ‘unequal’ salary or income level.

In fact, these liberals feel that they ‘deserve’ more money than ‘regular’ people. They may even be right, if their skills are significantly better than the average worker. However, they also think that ‘other people’ like you and I should have more of our income taken away and redistributed for the common good. Its hypocritical to say a CEO should have his or her pay limited while liberal politicians and cultural elites make almost unlimited money.

The interesting thing is that income inequality in America is almost a misnomer now. Even children from families in the bottom fifth in terms of their income can get a college education. Of those that do, 84 percent will escape the bottom fifth and 19 percent will actually make it to the top 20 percent of income earners. Did you know that over the last 50 years the number of Americans living below the poverty line has ranged from 12 to 15 percent?

Being a “poor” American is not nearly as bad as you might think. More than 80 percent of poor Americans have cell phones, televisions, and refrigerators. Most also own a motor vehicle and have more living space than the average European. On top of all this, immigrants from all over the world still want to come here for a chance at a better life. This would not be happening if “poor” Americans were living in squalor.

Liberals and their obsessions are really only about making themselves feel good. That and appealing to low information voters who think that these policies will have some real effects. It is also about appealing to those on government welfare and not interested in bettering themselves. That way they can continue to get more and more money from the government.

What do YOU think? Is the liberal obsession with income inequality misguided? Is it designed only to make themselves feel better and get votes from the low information crowd? What is a better way to address the issue of income inequality?

Brilliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom