• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.
"This is our next."

... next what?

It goes back to The Verge's beginnings, when before it was The Verge, it was an interim blog called "This is Our Next"

Eh, not a gigantic VOX fan, and not particularly fond of Ezra at all, but it could be an interesting additional publication.

Ecotic

Personally I really do hold the Lewinsky scandal against Clinton and wish it still dogged him more, instead of becoming an untouchable subject. It really wouldn't bother me so much if the consequences weren't so bad. Al Gore would've coasted to a comfortable victory in 2000 if Clinton's scandal hadn't made enough people value a moral, godly man above all else.

I mean, sure, Gore still should've won that election if he had embraced Clinton instead of running away from him, but he should have never been put in that position to begin with.

Personally I really do hold the Lewinsky scandal against Clinton and wish it still dogged him more, instead of becoming an untouchable subject. It really wouldn't bother me so much if the consequences weren't so bad. Al Gore would've coasted to a comfortable victory in 2000 if Clinton's scandal hadn't made enough people value a moral, godly man above all else.

I mean, sure, Gore still should've won that election if he had embraced Clinton instead of running away from him, but he should have never been put in that position to begin with.
No I think Al Gore was just dumb. Clinton's scandal is partially why his approval ratings propelled to such heights - it exposed how demented the Republicans were.

Macklemore won best rap album over Kendrick.

#obamasamerica

Hence why I don't pay attention to The Grammys. Pathetic.

anyway, Huckabee passed a health insurance as governor which mandated contraceptive converage
Four years later, the Arkansas law easily cleared that state's Legislature, with help from Republican lawmakers, including two GOP cosponsors. Huckabee signed it in April 2005.

He defended the law in a statement. "Religious employers are not required to comply with this policy," he said. "My position is, and always has been, that religious entities shouldn't be forced to pay for contraception."

But like the original federal regulation proposed by Obama, the Arkansas law did not exempt church-affiliated hospitals and universities. It exempts only "religious employers" that are nonprofit organizations whose primary mission is "the inculcation of religious values," and primarily employ people who share the same religion, a standard few Catholic hospitals meet.
http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlo...or-contraception-mandate-before-he-opposed-it

So me and StopMakingSense cut such a dastardly deal that is more suitable to smoke filled Senate backrooms, that even Boehner and Obama will cry bloody murder if they heard of it, and agreed to keep DHP alive by transferring it from wordpress to a different domain.

So me and StopMakingSense cut such a dastardly deal that is more suitable to smoke filled Senate backrooms, that even Boehner and Obama will cry bloody murder if they heard of it, and agreed to keep DHP alive by transferring it from wordpress to a different domain.

Awesome

I wish I had some kind of actual history blogging...

Chichikov

Once again, top down intervention subverts the will of the market.

Macklemore won best rap album over Kendrick.

#obamasamerica
Finally, a rapper with something to say.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Heh speaking of Macklemore and Grammies this turned up on my twitter.

@blackink12: Stop acting like this is new. White people have won 3 of the last 4 Grammy rap albums of the year: Macklemore, Eminem, and Drake.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This statement is exactly what I'm talking about. Physical force is not the only means of sexual abuse. Leveraging any position of power for sex is just as bad. And while Clinton didn't do that, the line is very thin, the simple position of power that he's in makes it highly inappropriate to start any sexual relationships with people that work for him.

Again I agree the false equivalence is huge here, but that doesn't make what Clinton did appropriate.

I know and I agree, it doesn't make what Clinton did ok, I'm just pointing out that what Clinton did in no way excuses what the GOP has been doing as far as women goes. One is a guy using his job to get his dick sucked and the other is a political party systematically trying to screw half the population over.

Chichikov

Though to be honest, the Grammys were always a joke, and this year it's not difference, top to bottom.
And at least hip-hop from time to time gets a proper album/song to win.
Have looked at the rock category?
Led Zeppelin narrowly beat David Bowie, Black Sabbath and Neil Young. I think they might be too relevant.
And don't get me started on electronic music.

It's best to ignore that shitshow, and watch for meltdown, slips, whatever on youtube.
If my facebook hadn't lit up I wouldn't even know it's on today.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Though to be honest, the Grammys were always a joke, and this year it's not difference, top to bottom.
And at least hip-hop from time to time gets a proper album/song to win.
Have looked at the rock category?
Led Zeppelin narrowly beat David Bowie, Black Sabbath and Neil Young, they might be too relevant.
And don't get me started on electronic music.

It's best to ignore that shitshow, and watch for meltdown, slips, whatever on youtube.
If my facebook hadn't lit up I wouldn't even know it's on today.

Hey, don't diss Bowie. He had a great fucking album this year and he was robbed. (To be honest I didn't watch it either, but Bowie did have a great album and he was robbed).

TjgXN6A.png

Here's a recent article (that link to a study behind a paywall).
And it's about 60% private sector (although I think comparing public and private spending here in term of pure dollars can be a bit misleading.

Thanks. Didn't realize that almost half our research was public.

The US leads research in most fields in the world, usually by a pretty big margin.

I assume that's because of our population size?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The U.S. also has a really strong system of higher education (where are a lot of public research gets done), and researchers here typically have more autonomy than they might elsewhere.
Even with how unequal higher education is over there.. in terms of fees and such. There's no denying they have some of the best in the world, I'd kill to go to some of the colleges in America.

Media matters.

I don't disagree. The media echos what the politicians want to focus on which means pressuring congress and saying 'focus on this' (inequality or jobs) is how you get the media to focus on that.

There needs to be push back. The left was far to willing to play the GOPs game.

I don't disagree. The media echos what the politicians want to focus on which means pressuring congress and saying 'focus on this' (inequality or jobs) is how you get the media to focus on that.

There needs to be push back. The left was far to willing to play the GOPs game.
Democrats tend to fall right into this trap by reinforcing narratives that aren't good for them. Obama's deficit obsession in 2011 was disasterous. Last year he began pointing out the rapid decline of the deficit, which I still don't like but at least he's no longer saying the deficit is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Even with how unequal higher education is over there.. in terms of fees and such. There's no denying they have some of the best in the world, I'd kill to go to some of the colleges in America.

The United Kingdom has a similarly good higher education system (4 out of the top 25 schools are from the UK, as well as 2 out of the top 10).

After that you're right, can't think of many other places.

A combination of population size, wealth and having the best universities in the world.

The U.S. also has a really strong system of higher education (where are a lot of public research gets done), and researchers here typically have more autonomy than they might elsewhere.

Thanks!

Poligaf...

How is voter turnout calculated?

Is it votes over
-Total pop
-Total pop 18+
-Total pop 18+ that are citizens
-Total pop 18+ that are citizens and are not fellons?

Edit: or registered voters? How does that work if the rolls are never cleared?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Eh. Not racist, just derptastic.

I completely disagree. Anytime someone starts to pull the whole 'reverse-racism' crap, or any derivation of it, I immediately think, this person is likely racist. The image tries to counter that of course (at the bottom), but it's basically the tactic of covering up your true intentions by calling out someone before they can call you out.

Poligaf...

How is voter turnout calculated?

Is it votes over
-Total pop
-Total pop 18+
-Total pop 18+ that are citizens
-Total pop 18+ that are citizens and are not fellons?

Edit: or registered voters? How does that work if the rolls are never cleared?

Read the fine print. It can be calculated any of these ways (although I don't think anybody would do it as straight total pop), and it depends upon what the entity doing the counting chooses. The most common two are % of registered voters and % of eligible voters, I believe. If there is no fine print, then you have a useless number because you don't know what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom