• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
CYIX0yfW8AApcQR.jpg:orig

Iolo

Edit: and now I'm going to be doing Don Adams' voice all day. Thanks, Trumpy!

But seriously - do he and Cruz now have a secret agreement to fit old TV references into their campaign? The Fonz? Get Smart?

I'm waiting for a Mary Tyler Moore or Mama's Family reference now..

tumblr_n7pp1rb7bW1tdobn9o1_250.gif

I had a beautiful dream. It was election night, Hillary won by like 11 points, Democrats won 55 seats in the Senate... And 218 in the House.

John McCain: Ted Cruz's citizenship is "worth looking into"

"I know that came up in my race because I was born in Panama, but I was born in the Canal Zone which is a territory. Barry Goldwater was born in Arizona when it was territory when he ran in 1964," McCain said.

McCain added that he was born on a U.S. military base, which he said is not the same as being born in Canada.

"That's different from being born on foreign soil. I think there is a question. I'm not a constitutional scholar on that, but I think it's worth looking into. I don't think it's illegitimate to look into it."

Asked if the Supreme Court might have to weigh in on the "natural born citizen" issue, McCain said, "It may be, that may be the case."

Rand Paul: Is Ted Cruz eligible to run for president?

When asked about the issue by Fox News Radio's "Kilmeade and Friends" program, Paul conceded that it could be a legal concern

"We live in a really litigious world and it is a concern that people will sue him over not being born in this country," he said.

"It's never been adjudicated before," Paul added. "I think this will begin the discussion of it."

Paul also pointed out the "double standard" of some when going after President Obama over his birthplace versus the anger over Cruz.

"People went out hot and heavy -- including Donald Trump, you know -- about President Obama when there was really nothing more than conjecture that he wasn't born in the country," he said. "And yet, there hasn't been really the same outrage at all for someone who actually is born in another country."

Cruz Birtherism is gathering momentum.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

And Ben Carson continues to deliver..

Please let there be video.

:lol :lol :lol

Furthers my belief that he is a terrible person. You know, a few months ago I jokingly said he was an idiot savant. He has to be. I'm 100% convinced now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Your mind would be blown by how things work in Parliamentary systems like the UK.

Or hell, Japan, which for all intents and purposes has a 1 party system.

Not very differently? Elections to the UK legislature are essentially identical to elections to the US legislatures.

The UK elects a single representative from each of a series of geographical districts using a simple plurality system. People become candidates for major parties by first being nominated by an executive member of either the local branch for that district or the national branch (Labour) / being accepted by the national branch (Conservative), and then winning a simple-plurality (Conservative) or preference-majority (Labour) vote of local party members against the other potential candidates and re-open nomination/no endorsement.

The differences between this and the US system are: US geographical districts are much larger on average (1 Representative per 700,000 and 1 Senator per 3,200,000 to 1 MP per 70,000); you don't need nominations from the party hierarchy to seek a party nomination in most states, and instead can run with a certain number of signatures from local members; and effectively all internal party nominations use simple-plurality which is only different from the Labour Party.

However, there *are* primaries for MP candidates (though they're not called that). They're just for constituencies much smaller than US ones, so the voter base for the primaries is much smaller (the average vote for a district probably consists of ~100 people tops), and the UK parties exert more control downballot than in the US (at least until very recently). There are also 'primaries' for leadership position, in the sense you are elected leader of the Labour Party/Conservative Party in the same way Obama was elected the Democratic nominee for the Presidency, although the two roles aren't good analogues. These do actually have quite a lot of involvement, although again less proportionally than the US primaries because until Labour's most recent leadership election, they've all been what are by US standards closed primaries and because political party affiliation is lower in the UK than in the US.

The only reason that the UK has a "multi-party" (and it doesn't really; 2010-2015 excepted parties that are not Labour or the Conservatives have had fleeting impacts at best) is because a) the constituency sizes are smaller, so unique local circumstances are more easily reflected (this is how most Liberal Democrat seats happened, through first taking local councils and building up local support; which would be nigh impossible if UK constituencies were the same size as US ones), and b) the UK does not have a presidential system. Because there are economies of scale to politics, it's easier for the same parties to contest all sets of elections, so legislative elections are affected by which parties are capable of competing in the presidential election. Because the presidency can only go to one person, you get Duverger's law in action where the number of serious candidates is expected to be 2, which feeds back into the legislature's elections. The UK doesn't have this pressure because the executive is not elected (directly, at least).

The only real oddity is Canada, where political theorists are somewhat puzzled as to how a functional multi-party system was sustained for so long. However, that may not be much of a puzzle because Canada's multi-party system has essentially collapsed outside of Quebec, so maybe the answer is simply that while two-party systems are the equilibria for simple plurality elections, the equilibria can be slow to reach, particularly considering that Canada has smaller constituency sizes than both the UK and the US and therefore preserves local granularity longer.

Cerium

Not very differently? Elections to the UK legislature are essentially identical to elections to the US legislatures.

You're talking about the local level. People don't get a vote whatsoever for leader of the party.

Imagine if our nominating process was 100% superdelegates; that would be closer to how things work over there.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You're talking about the local level. People don't get a vote whatsoever for leader of the party.

Imagine if our nominating process was 100% superdelegates; that would be closer to how things work over there.

No, not at all. Both the Leader of the Conservative Party and the Leader of the Labour Party are elected. The Conservative Party has a two-round system where the first round is voting only by MPs, and the top two by preference go through to a second round, where they are voted on by the membership. This is more closed than either US party, I admit, but wouldn't have produced very different results in recent history - Obama would still beat Clinton, Kerry would still have won in 2004 given Dean's lack of popularity amongst the party upper ranks, and so on. The Labour Party has a one-round system using preferential vote open to every member of the party, every member of affiliated organizations, and everyone willing to pay a small amount (£3 or approximately $5) - in other words, it's actually *more* open than either of the US nomination primaries. In terms of openness for "potential candidate for the executive", from least to most open, the US and UK parties compare like this:

Conservatives
Democrats
Republicans
Labour

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Mama's Family gifs in PoliGAF?

Every day, we get more proof that PoliGAFfers are good people.

And Ben Carson continues to deliver..

Please let there be video.

Oh my god, I need a video of this more than I've ever needed anything in my life ever.

No, not at all. Both the Leader of the Conservative Party and the Leader of the Labour Party are elected. The Conservative Party has a two-round system where the first round is voting only by MPs, and the top two by preference-majority go through to a second round, where they are voted on by the membership. This is more closed than either US party, I admit, but wouldn't have produced very different results in recent history - Obama would still beat Clinton, Kerry would still have won in 2004 given Dean's lack of popularity amongst the party upper ranks, and so on. The Labour Party has a one-round system open to every member of the party, every member of affiliated organizations, and everyone willing to pay a small amount (£3 or approximately $5) - in other words, it's actually *more* open than either of the US nomination primaries. In terms of openness for "potential candidate for the executive", from least to most open, the US and UK parties compare like this:

I, for one, deeply enjoy this round of "lets teach the uk nerd how ukpoli works".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I, for one, deeply enjoy this round of "lets teach the uk nerd how ukpoli works".

You should do a sess on Brazil; I'm pretty good at most North American/European constitutions plus Japan and New Zealand, but I never really did much on the South American democracies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I just want to know where he was going with that. What was the follow up? "In 5th grade some would have said that about me, but then I stabbed one of them"?

Judging by the thread in the OT, which links a bunch of tweets covering it, that's exactly where it was going but he didn't know how to get there and got lost instead.

Makai

Someone at Trump's rally yelled "Obama's a Muslim!"

Trump said, "The media's going to be upset if I don't reprimand him" and sarcastically asked "How dare you?"

Makai

Nothingstopsthistrain.gif

Rubio below 10% is clearly the story here. If he can't get some momentum going by NH its going to be Trump - Cruz showdown.
Cruz is about to come down, though. This birther stuff could be really huge considering Ted's base. It's the exact situation Obama was in where he had a foreign-born father and an American mother. Birthers believed Obama was foreign-born and that was disqualifying. Ted's not even disputing that he was foreign born.

Cruz is about to come down, though. This birther stuff could be really huge considering Ted's base. It's the exact situation Obama was in where he had a foreign-born father and an American mother. Birthers believed Obama was foreign-born and that was disqualifying. Ted's not even disputing that he was foreign born.

But Cruz is a white Christian Republican. Obama's birth was a thing because of his race.

HylianTom

Banned
Rick Scott all but endorses Trump, and wrote a flattering op-ed about him.

I just had a scary thought. What if Trump choses Scott as his running mate?
That's not scary to me. Let 'em have Florida. As soon as Trump becomes nominee, we can pencil-in Nevada(6) and Colorado(9) as blue.

Added bonus: We get to paint them as Trump/Voldemort. Soccer moms'll love it.

=====

Also, tinfoil theory time: Trump overticketed tonight's event as an attention-grabbing maneuver. Conveniently close to the media center in the NorthEast, they get to cover the surrounding circus in Burlington. The news will focus on this, depriving other candidates of exposure. We enter Friday morning talking about it, with precious little time going into the weekend - not enough time for another candidate to reclaim the spotlight.

If he did this on purpose..

Naw, go read some Breitbart comments. There's a conspiracy theory that his mom renounced her citizenship before Ted was born.

Yeah, but Breitbart is like the Trump campaign HQ. Everyone there already supports The Don. This would have to go wider before it starts to hurt Cruz.

You know, I never met a single person in this state that likes Rick Scott. I was utterly shocked that he won reelection.

Have you ever met anyone that liked Traitor Crist?

Also, tinfoil theory time: Trump overticketed tonight's event as an attention-grabbing maneuver. Conveniently close to the media center in the NorthEast, they get to cover the surrounding circus in Burlington. The news will focus on this, depriving other candidates of exposure. We enter Friday morning talking about it, with precious little time going into the weekend - not enough time for another candidate to reclaim the spotlight.

Wouldn't even classify that as tinfoil, tbqh. It's pretty much that+ where's my money, honey?

Holmes

That's not scary to me. Let 'em have Florida. As soon as Trump becomes nominee, we can pencil-in Nevada(6) and Colorado(9) as blue.

Added bonus: We get to paint them as Trump/Voldemort. Soccer moms'll love it.
It's scary because I would have to see his face and hear his voice on a regular basis if he were to become Trump's running mate, and I feel like I've already gone through enough with the current Presidential field as is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You know, I never met a single person in this state that likes Rick Scott. I was utterly shocked that he won reelection.

You and everyone else.

Have you ever met anyone that liked Traitor Crist?

Yea, but everyone always figured they all hated Voldemort more.

Considering how good he is at leveraging the media, that's not so much a tin foil hat thing as it is a decent guess.

HylianTom

Banned
It's scary because I would have to see his face and hear his voice on a regular basis if he were to become Trump's running mate, and I feel like I've already gone through enough with the current Presidential field as is.
I can relate to that if it were Jindal.. yikes..

User1608

Banned
I'm sorry but Cruz seriously scares me. He has no chance but he's one of the ultimate examples of a selfish, narcissistic politician. He makes his fictional counterparts look downright kind.

Trouble

Banned

Anyone else feel like this has a decent chance of turning into a riot? The park where the spillover will be is literally next door to Bernie Sanders' campaign headquarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom