• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-the-gop-establishment-blowing-its-anti-trump-campaign/

And now 538 has published its own fresh article, asking:
Is The GOP Establishment Blowing Its Anti-Trump Campaign?

The confidence that a Trump win is improbable seems to be fading a bit. They seem genuinely stumped. And a bit incredulous that the GOP's party entities haven't moved more aggressively to bring Trump down.
Hahaha this is like those rigged reality shows where we all knew Rubio would be the winner, mirite Nate?

I'm finally back! Well, I've been back but I had stuff here to catch up on.

I see very little has changed in politics since I left, other than Carson's pretty much done. It's weird how when I'm on vacation that I turn off sports/politics to an extreme measure that I am behind when I come back.

As for New York, I'm going to hold you accountable Bdubs. All the hype about Shake Shack...come on, son. I'm sorry, but their burgers are mediocre. In N Out is much much better. I don't even eat In N Out often and prefer a few local joints or making my own, but I wanted to see what the fuss was about and boy was it disappointing. I'm not here to say "SoCal > NYC" or anything...honestly the food game is much better out there (outside of Mexican), but the Shake Shack burgers left me asking for more. That said, their PB Shake was pretty fucking great, so I can go there for a milkshake when it finally opens up here.

Oh, and Veniero's was the other massive disappointment (thankfully made up by other dessert places). So many people told us to go there, bleh.

Also lol @ the food cart guy trying to sell me a $7 hotdog as if I'm some idiot tourist. Can't believe people fall for that shit.

can't wait til I return. Done with Xmas over there, though. So crowded.

CYDww05W8AATtUO.png

Good Ol' Ben Carson reminding us that Jesus said that only the rich deserves tax breaks.

danm999

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God, so we really ought to reduce their tax burden here on Earth.

I see very little has changed in politics since I left, other than Carson's pretty much done. It's weird how when I'm on vacation that I turn off sports/politics to an extreme measure that I am behind when I come back.

As for New York, I'm going to hold you accountable Bdubs. All the hype about Shake Shack...come on, son. I'm sorry, but their burgers are mediocre. In N Out is much much better. I don't even eat In N Out often and prefer a few local joints or making my own, but I wanted to see what the fuss was about and boy was it disappointing. I'm not here to say "SoCal > NYC" or anything...honestly the food game is much better out there (outside of Mexican), but the Shake Shack burgers left me asking for more. That said, their PB Shake was pretty fucking great, so I can go there for a milkshake when it finally opens up here.

Oh, and Veniero's was the other massive disappointment (thankfully made up by other dessert places). So many people told us to go there, bleh.

Also lol @ the food cart guy trying to sell me a $7 hotdog as if I'm some idiot tourist. Can't believe people fall for that shit.

I hope you got Junior's cheesecake while you were there

you came to new york and didn't mention it? lame...

was it vacation or business?

Wait.. is Jeb handing-out king cake babies?!

010612_kingcake_sa_2.jpg

(He should have king cake at his events, especially starting today - the beginning of Mardi Gras season!)

thanks for reminding me I'm missing mardi gras this year again :-(. I hope to make it down in 2017. (I'd probably go the thurs to sunday, fat tuesday is lame, its all about muses and krew d'etat, baccaus is probably my favorite super krew too)

I haven't been since 2013 :-( I miss the college days.

I dunno exactly what, but something happened in the last couple of weeks that has been making me mostly apathetic towards politics. Hrm. Trump ain't no longer particularly interesting, nor Sanders. Heck, even Corbyn has been a bit of a stick in the mud.

In happier news, my mother seems to have finally started taking a liking to the black dough mixer after extended use. She says that she might've been too hasty to judge it, and that the mixer is actually "um dos bons", or... one of the good ones.

i so wish that was a joke.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
nomination-jan-5-2016.png

Almost there, King.

Gross. Clinton would win even without superdelegates, but the fact that Democrats have super delegates that can put such a handicap on the race before voting even begins is disgusting. One of the very few things that's actually better in the Republican party that they don't have such a anti democratic system.

You'd think the democratic party would act more like a democratic, given their name.

Cerium

Gross. Clinton would win even without superdelegates, but the fact that Democrats have super delegates that can put such a handicap on the race before voting even begins is disgusting. One of the very few things that's actually better in the Republican party that they don't have such a anti democratic system.

You'd think the democratic party would act more like a democratic, given their name.

In 2008 Hillary started out with a very similar advantage in superdelegates. Most of them ended up switching to Obama for precisely the reason you cited.

I dunno exactly what, but something happened in the last couple of weeks that has been making me mostly apathetic towards politics. Hrm. Trump ain't no longer particularly interesting, nor Sanders. Heck, even Corbyn has been a bit of a stick in the mud.

In happier news, my mother seems to have finally started taking a liking to the black dough mixer after extended use. She says that she might've been too hasty to judge it, and that the mixer is actually "um dos bons", or... one of the good ones.

i so wish that was a joke.

It's progress I guess Cori

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
In 2008 Hillary started out with a very similar advantage in superdelegates. Most of them ended up switching to Obama for precisely the reason you cited.

True, but I also remember the time before they all switched when the super delegate math helped keep Hillary in it longer than it should have.

NeoXChaos

True, but I also remember the time before they all switched when the super delegate math helped keep Hillary in it longer than it should have.

without the superdelegates we would have had a brokered convention. Neither of them had the magic number to win in pledged delegates if I can recall

Man 538 is really down on trump! Lots of "vulnerabilities" he has.

they've been like this since he announced. it doesn't matter what events are, everything can be twisted to mean "trump can't win"/"this is a sham"/"numbers don't matter."

It's going to be hilarious to see the backpedaling.

pigeon

Banned
So a bill repealing the ACA was actually sent to Obama, lol.

Uh-oh. Political pressure will force Obama to sign it, destroying Democratic chances in 2016 and ushering in a two-term President Trump, who will personally sign the bill demolishing Diablos's house specifically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2008

Pledged
Obama 1828
Clinton 1726

Super
Obama 478
Clinton 276

2117 including superdelegates, take those out of the process entirely and the number required to win the nomination also drops to 1740 (assuming Obama+Clinton had every superdelegate...actually that can't be right either, it must be higher than that otherwise both of them could've hit the magic number)

at any rate, the existence of superdelegates themselves was the only reason Obama didn't clinch it without them, how stupid (wikipedia itself says Obama had 51% of pledged delegates, an outright majority)

HylianTom

Banned
thanks for reminding me I'm missing mardi gras this year again :-(. I hope to make it down in 2017. (I'd probably go the thurs to sunday, fat tuesday is lame, its all about muses and krew d'etat, baccaus is probably my favorite super krew too)

I haven't been since 2013 :-( I miss the college days.

Mardi Gras takes place on New Hampshire's primary day this year, so I'd be too distracted and wanting to get home early that day (took Ash Wednesday off!).

Next year - after the election and inauguration - that'll be a good one.

Bowdz

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/donald-trump-ted-cruz-amnesty-immigration-217433

Donald Trump opened a new front in his incipient war on Ted Cruz late on Wednesday, accusing the Texas senator of supporting "amnesty" for immigrants in the U.S. illegally.

“Ted was in favor of amnesty,” Trump told host Wolf Blitzer on CNN’s “The Situation Room."

"Him and Marco Rubio have been fighting about who’s weaker,” he continued after Blitzer noted Cruz’s claim that he was stronger than the real-estate mogul on immigration issues.

Trump went on to knock Cruz for “taking my idea for the wall,” repeating a complaint he has aired every day this week.

“I’m glad he’s taking my idea. I think it’s the right thing to do,” Trump went on. “These people who are politicians don’t know how to build walls. They don’t know how to build anything.”

Awwww yeeeaah boy. Go for the juglar Trump. Finish him.

NeoXChaos

How does reconciliation work? The Wikipedia article did not explain it clearly enough.

House pass $10.10 minimum wage bill, Federal minimum wage bill to $15. Senate pass $10.10 minimum wage. Federal to $12.

Reconciliation. Combine the two with final changes both chambers can agree on. Send back to each chamber for final passage. If reconciled bill is changed in any form again in either chamber it goes right back to the drawing board.

In the Senate in reconciliation only a simple majority 50+1 is needed to override a filibuster.

Its how healthcare got through. Its also how public option failed. The House pass a HC bill with the public option as an amendment. The senate pass its own HC bill without it(I think it actually was either filibustered or failed in vote). In reconciliation they removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom