• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

The success had nothing to do with the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party didn't actively fight for those causes, mass movements did. Starting in the '70s the gay community started working to 'normalize' gay culture which led to more people realizing that many of their friends, families, and neighbors were gay. That removed the threat of the 'other'. Gay activists did that, not the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party pushed 'don't ask, don't tell' and, if they were feeling frisky, 'civil unions'.

Incremental progress which led to full marriage equality and military integration far earlier than anyone expected. The Democratic Party should be ashamed for killing gay rights like this.

Iolo

Speaking on gay marriage, it really is quite interesting how fast momentum happened. I mean, look at this shit:

sNOK03k.png

We're looking at a mere decade, a blink of the eye in terms of political trends.

If you read that like an EKG, gay rights is in A-fib and will be dead shortly.

NeoXChaos

Can everyone please calm down. Take head in Black Mamba's advice and chill. We have 3 weeks left with plenty to change.

I'm the most ardent Hillary stan here and you don't see me panicking.

Just wont be the same without John in the background reacting to obama's oratory as one would an unexpected gust of flatulence

VnNrShR.jpg

or yucking it up with joe

Makai

We need a debate thread based on CLUE.
tumblr_njxfjz1BCt1tsebazo1_500.gif
Mr. Boddy
Hillary Clinton
dead on arrival

Professor Plum
Bernie Sanders
trapped in an ivory tower

Ms. Scarlet
Martin O' Malley
irresistible

Mrs. White
Joe Biden
cleans up the mess everyone made

Colonel Mustard
Jim Webb
sleeps with two eyes open

Mrs. Peacock
Lincoln Chafee
inherited luxurious estate and complimentary Senate seat

Mr. Green
Lawerence Lessig
new to this

Mr. Boddy
Hillary Clinton
dead on arrival

Professor Plum
Bernie Sanders
trapped in an ivory tower

Ms. Scarlet
Martin O' Malley
irresistible

Mrs. White
Joe Biden
cleans up the mess everyone made

Colonel Mustard
Jim Webb
sleeps with two eyes open

Mrs. Peacock
Lincoln Chafee
inherited luxurious estate and complimentary Senate seat

Mr. Green
Lawerence Lessig
new to this

I can dig this. Though Mr. Boddy should probably be Obama.

What exactly is the difference between "We hate black people so we don't want them to have something good" and "We are telling these white people that black people are horrible and they shouldn't share something good with them"? It's all racism. That "mythical black person who was abusing the system" wasn't something that was just pulled out of nowhere, it already existed as a racist stereotype of the "lazy black".

And it is disingenuous to believe that these politicians who sought to overturn the New Deal were neutral and distant types who were able to reach into the container of Racism with a long spoon and dole out little tidbits without getting any of the toxic ideology on them. The people who were using these caricatures to exploit the populace were also racist.

The difference is how people perceive themselves , And that's significant. As an example: I know a conservative who donates to World Vision but is supportive of locking refugees who arrive by boat up in abysmal conditions. The recipients / victims are both non-white. The difference is how the person perceives themselves "Helping someone in need" vs "Defending the borders" / "Keeping out economic migrants". That difference in self-perception leads to radically different actions. You get much more support for being horrible to the Other when you can justify it (even if the justification is bullshit) because people in general don't like to see themselves as bad or cruel or unjust even to the Other.

I never suggested anything about the politicians responsible, I don't think I even mentioned them in anything more than passing as an enabler. So I don't see how I'm being disingenuous.

Wilsongt

Kansas gonna Kansas.

http://news.yahoo.com/kansas-cutting-off-medicaid-funds-planned-parenthood-233947166.html

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Kansas will prevent Planned Parenthood from receiving any funds through its Medicaid program, Gov. Sam Brownback announced Tuesday evening in a State of the State address that encouraged state legislators to enshrine such a policy into law.

The Republican governor also spent part of his speech before a joint session of the GOP-dominated Legislature criticizing President Barack Obama, a Democrat, on national security issues. Brownback said the state is prepared "to thwart every action" by the Obama administration to move prisoners being held as terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to Fort Leavenworth.

In addition, Brownback told the GOP-dominated Legislature that he favors tightening limits on local property taxes approved last year and putting them in effect before 2018, as previously planned. He urged lawmakers to design a new formula for funding the state's public schools that includes bonuses for exceptional teachers.

Brownback used his speech to outline a broad legislative agenda on multiple issues and announced his action against Planned Parenthood near the end.

"We have become the shining city on the hill and the champions for life," Brownback said in remarks prepared for delivery

Shining city on a hill of shit. Nasty, runny, disgusting shit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This isn't Obama's best speech but it is his most energetic. Looks like he's enjoying this for once.

Well, he's got no fucks left to give so he can finally say all the shit he's always wanted to. Shit, he even put Joe in charge of NASA and killing cancer.

Hillarity
Clinton seems to think the gun issue will give her the upper hand against Sanders.

She released a new ad specifically on the issue, evoking the figure of Obama.

HylianTom

Banned
I feel no more optimistic about the legislative or policy prospects for this coming year.

3-Blazing-Saddles-quotes.gif

But as far as Obama being a solid piece on the electoral chess board later this year? I feel miiiighty fine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I already don't like her delivery. She reminds me of the Sweetums president from Parks and Recreation.

LOL "chaotic unrest in our cities" due to Obamacare? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom