• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdz

Trump Shame Avatar for those who lose the bets

bwbeHOk.jpg

Truly GLORIOUS. I honestly hope this will be my avatar next year.

Tarkus

At least that's my pick. We'll have a pool of shame avatars to pick from.

Is there avatar that Marcobots want others to wear?
Pretty sure I'm the only regular poster here who is a fan of Marco and his sound policies. Shame Trump avi is glorious. Speaking of Marco's sound policies, check here to see just how level-headed the GOP can be.

Step it up in NH buddy. I've given money and time to you. Don't blow this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pretty sure I'm the only regular poster here who is a fan of Marco and his sound policies. Shame Trump avi is glorious. Speaking of Marco's sound policies, check here to see just how level-headed the GOP can be.

Even if he steps it up he has to hope Trump doesn't win Iowa. If Trump wins Iowa then it's likely gameover in NH, and if that happens...

Diablos

I wish I could find all the clips of Newt Gingrich getting hot and bothered over Bobby Jindal, his apparent charisma, age, and future in the party. He would get so excited. I think these videos were circa 2006-2007. He was in love.

Nope. Said I was out if it was an avatar bet last thread.

Yeah that's what j thought most people decided.im down either way. Though that avatar rusty picked out is awful lol

Wow, I didn't think I could like him less until I clicked that link. Awful policy. Which ones do you like?

I wish I could find all the clips of Newt Gingrich getting hot and bothered over Bobby Jindal, his apparent charisma, age, and future in the party. He would get so excited. I think these videos were circa 2006-2007. He was in love.

I couldn't find any videos either, but the entire Republican establishment was in love with Jindal after McCain lost in 08.

Is Bobby Jindal the GOP's Obama?
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich recently called him "the most transformative young governor in America." Radio host Rush Limbaugh refers to him as "the next Ronald Reagan." John McCain eyed Jindal as a running mate, and Steve Schmidt, McCain's chief strategist, told The Washington Post in November that "the question is not whether he'll be president, but when he'll be president—because he will be elected someday."

GOP rising star Jindal's speech a 'coming-out party'
"We'll see more of him, but along with other folks," said Winston, pointing out Giuliani, Palin and Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele. "Without a clear central person, i.e. George Bush, there are a lot of people who step forward to determine which direction the party will go."

I like how Rubio still thinks Communism is a serious threat. 40 year old who sounds like 80 year old.
"The new American century" sure sounds like the old one. I can't remember where but I read an article a few months ago that said Rubio is the old people's idea of a young person. He says all the things the old Republican voting base likes, and he's young so he can get out the youth vote!

But back to reality.

benjipwns

Banned
I like how Rubio still thinks Communism is a serious threat. 40 year old who sounds like 80 year old.
He needs to brush up on his Reagan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tpKDQH9nE

Poland's struggle to be Poland, and to secure the basic rights we often take for granted, demonstrates why we dare not take those rights for granted. Gladstone, defending the Reform Bill of 1866, declared, "You cannot fight against the future. Time is on our side." It was easier to believe in the march of democracy in Gladstone's day -- in that high noon of Victorian optimism.

We're approaching the end of a bloody century plagued by a terrible political invention -- totalitarianism. Optimism comes less easily today, not because democracy is less vigorous, but because democracy's enemies have refined their instruments of repression. Yet optimism is in order, because day by day democracy is proving itself to be a not-at-all-fragile flower. From Stettin on the Baltic to Varna on the Black Sea, the regimes planted by totalitarianism have had more than 30 years to establish their legitimacy. But none -- not one regime -- has yet been able to risk free elections. Regimes planted by bayonets do not take root.

The strength of the Solidarity Movement in Poland demonstrates the truth told in an underground joke in the Soviet Union. It is that the Soviet Union would remain a one-party nation even if an opposition party were permitted, because everyone would join the opposition party.

In an ironic sense Karl Marx was right. We are witnessing today a great revolutionary crisis, a crisis where the demands of the economic order are conflicting directly with those of the political order. But the crisis is happening not in the free, non-Marxist West, but in the home of Marxist-Leninism, the Soviet Union. It is the Soviet Union that runs against the tide of history by denying human freedom and human dignity to its citizens. It also is in deep economic difficulty. The rate of growth in the national product has been steadily declining since the fifties and is less than half of what it was then.

The dimensions of this failure are astounding: A country which employs one-fifth of its population in agriculture is unable to feed its own people. Were it not for the private sector, the tiny private sector tolerated in Soviet agriculture, the country might be on the brink of famine. These private plots occupy a bare three percent of the arable land but account for nearly one-quarter of Soviet farm output and nearly one-third of meat products and vegetables. Over-centralized, with little or no incentives, year after year the Soviet system pours its best resource into the making of instruments of destruction. The constant shrinkage of economic growth combined with the growth of military production is putting a heavy strain on the Soviet people. What we see here is a political structure that no longer corresponds to its economic base, a society where productive forces are hampered by political ones.

The decay of the Soviet experiment should come as no surprise to us. Wherever the comparisons have been made between free and closed societies -- West Germany and East Germany, Austria and Czechoslovakia, Malaysia and Vietnam -- it is the democratic countries that are prosperous and responsive to the needs of their people. And one of the simple but overwhelming facts of our time is this: Of all the millions of refugees we've seen in the modern world, their flight is always away from, not toward the Communist world. Today on the NATO line, our military forces face east to prevent a possible invasion. On the other side of the line, the Soviet forces also face east to prevent their people from leaving.

Now, I don't wish to sound overly optimistic, yet the Soviet Union is not immune from the reality of what is going on in the world. It has happened in the past -- a small ruling elite either mistakenly attempts to ease domestic unrest through greater repression and foreign adventure, or it chooses a wiser course. It begins to allow its people a voice in their own destiny. Even if this latter process is not realized soon, I believe the renewed strength of the democratic movement, complemented by a global campaign for freedom, will strengthen the prospects for arms control and a world at peace.

I have discussed on other occasions, including my address on May 9th, the elements of Western policies toward the Soviet Union to safeguard our interests and protect the peace. What I am describing now is a plan and a hope for the long term -- the march of freedom and democracy which will leave Marxism-Leninism on the ash-heap of history, as it has left other tyrannies which stifle the freedom and muzzle the self-expression of the people.

Not trying to antagonize. I kinda figured they weren't 100% serious.

Who are you supporting now? People often go "who?" when they hear Pataki's name, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be ironic.
Rand paul and bernie sanders

To bdubs: i read your post in the kimishima interview thread, lol wtf

benjipwns

Banned
Coolidge's Vice President Charles Dawes:
Coolidge also felt irritated over an incident that occurred on March 10, only days after Dawes started presiding over the Senate. Up for debate was the president's nomination of Charles Warren to be attorney general. In the wake of Teapot Dome and other business-related scandals, Democrats and Progressive Republicans objected to the nomination because of Warren's close association with the "Sugar Trust." At midday, six speakers were scheduled to address Warren's nomination. Desiring to return to his room at the Willard Hotel for a nap, Dawes consulted the majority and minority leaders, who assured him that no vote would be taken that afternoon. After Dawes left the Senate, however, all but one of the scheduled speakers decided against making formal remarks, and a vote was taken. When it became apparent that the vote would be tied, Republican leaders hastily called Dawes at the Willard. The roused vice president jumped in a taxi and sped toward the Capitol. But enough time intervened to persuade the only Democratic senator who had voted for Warren to switch his vote against him. By the time Dawes arrived there was no longer a tie to break, and the nomination had failed by a single vote—the first such rejection in nearly sixty years. President Coolidge angrily held Dawes responsible for his most embarrassing legislative defeat, and the rest of Washington could not resist teasing the vice president over the incident. The Gridiron Club presented him with a four-foot high alarm clock.

I see "sacred rights" of gun-owners. Sacred, huh?

I loved the repeal obamacare and what seemed like interesting language for a voucher system on Medicare. Raise the ago of SS so we work longer and ohh fuck unions. This is "sensible" republican policy.

Sour shoes has a war boner though so Rubio is perfect for him.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
The connotation is very different, yes, but in either case, aren't life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness the only explicitly god-given rights the founders talked about?

I don't have citations at hand, but even the Declaration of Independence only referred to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as "among" the "certain unalienable rights" with which men are "endowed by their Creator." I'll update this post if I take the time to find additional specific references.

benjipwns

Banned
The connotation is very different, yes, but in either case, aren't life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness the only explicitly god-given rights the founders talked about?
Liberty and property are pretty fucking broad "god-given rights" though. Every right mentioned in the Constitution you can fit into one of Jefferson's three categories. While the Ninth Amendment contains the rest of the "god-given rights" the founders didn't ever mention anywhere else.
Racist Rethuglican Thomas Jefferson's Preamble said:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.
Plus he swiped the phrasing from Ferguson, Leibniz and Locke. It's meant to be a summary, not a numerated list.

benjipwns

Banned
Obama’s pathetic failure to transform … anything
Poor President Obama. All he wanted was to be a transformational figure. Instead, he’ll be merely a transitional one.

For all the talk about Obama’s grand ambitions to remake the country in his image, current events make it crystal clear his role is as a placeholder.

Both Obama and first lady Michelle had set out to address their lukewarm feelings toward America-as-it-is by creating an America-as-it-ought-to-be.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America,” then-Sen. Obama said in late October 2008. Earlier that year, Michelle caused a stir by insisting, “We’re going to have to change our traditions, our history. We’re going to have to move into a different place as a nation.”

But events this week will likely cement the Obama presidency as one in which the leader of the Free World was barely able to tread water, let alone usher in dramatic change.

Take the announcement that we’ll be sending a “specialized expeditionary targeting force” to Iraq to contain ISIS.

It seems the days of even pretending we won’t put “boots on the ground” against the Islamic State are over. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said so unequivocally on Tuesday: “We’re doing a lot from the air, but there are, by the way, boots on the ground.”

Yes, there are. And there will likely be a lot more.

Hey, if that’s what Obama thinks is the right course of action, good for him for finally coming around and breaking his millionth promise. But it’s worth wondering what happened to the Obama who liked to say, “I was elected to end wars, not start them.”
He's totally not getting my vote in 2016.

benjipwns

Banned
Ctrl-F Iran
0 results
You mean who he gave nuclear weapons to? And maps of where to hit Israel with them.

Ctrl-F Cuba
0 results
ANOTHER LIEBERAL LIAR:
The resulting anarchy from the president’s half-hearted regime-decapitation there left Libya as a source of weapons for other conflicts, such as the one in Mali, and as a place to incubate a range of terrorists — including ISIS.

Tarkus

Wow, I didn't think I could like him less until I clicked that link. Awful policy. Which ones do you like?
Tax plan
ISIS
His softer stance on immigration
Sanctuary cities
Jobs
Corporate tax cut to 25% for a businesses while closing loopholes
Higher ed
Healthcare
VA

I'm still studying his foreign policy.
And no, I'm not a war hawk. No boots anywhere. More bombs for ISIL though 💣💣💣
Don't like his views on:
Gay marriage and rights
Religious law is law
Abortion
Idk his views on marijuana but I prob don't like them.

I wouldn't oppose an assault rifle ban. I use guns for clays and game; settings where assault rifles are useless. They mean nothing to me and most gun owners I know. I can't think of a single person that has one. They're dangerous and senseless weapons. But what do you do with the millions that people own now?

Edit: RIP Scott Weiland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom