• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
The behind-the-scenes argument over Trump vs Cruz among party elites continues..

Donald Trump or Ted Cruz? Republicans Argue Over Who Is Greater Threat

Conservative intellectuals have become convinced that Mr. Trump, with his message of nationalist-infused populism, poses an existential threat to conservatism, and plan to issue a manifesto on Friday to try to stop him.

This quote is a standout:
Of course, this willingness to accommodate Mr. Trump is driven in part by the fact that few among the Republican professional class believe he would win a general election. In the minds of these Republicans, it would be better to effectively rent the party to Mr. Trump for four months this fall, through the general election, than risk turning it over Mr. Cruz for at least four years, as either the president or the next-in-line leader for the 2020 nomination.

They're openly talking about losing in November. But aside from this, I love the uncertainty around this whole thing. There's too much to quote from the article - party officials, thought leaders, media personalities.. they're all over the place.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The behind-the-scenes argument over Trump vs Cruz among party elites continues..

Donald Trump or Ted Cruz? Republicans Argue Over Who Is Greater Threat

This quote is a standout:

They're openly talking about losing in November. But aside from this, I love the uncertainty around this whole thing. There's too much to quote from the article - party officials, thought leaders, media personalities.. they're all over the place.

I've got to sit down and read through this at lunch today, looks really good.

Thank you.

I am so tired of liberals parroting the same taking points as republicans, that if we simply nominated someone liberal enough, the democrats in the state would be enthused enough to vote in midterms, completely ignoring that the midterm electorate is not a liberal one, and if we want to win we need to nominate moderates.

Or have the liberal electorate wake the fuck up during the midterms. I don't think this is accomplished by simply electing a liberal president though. Unlike the tea party, a left wing grassroots movement wouldn't have Koch money backing it either. Regardless, if liberals want more progressive legislation they need to do just that and not focus on simply the top spot.

I do think that economically we're further right than we've ever been. All one has to do is look at tax rates. Even the great liberal victory Obamacare is a result of a right wing think tank. Its a right wing band-aid the left has taken credit for because the right also can't work with a black man.

That being said this concept of accelerationism is fucking stupid and ignores the way the system we have in place and how to work within it.

Kyosaiga

Banned
Cruz is an idiot. The entire point of politics is making friends and connections but what does he do? Makes an ass out of himself so much that his party would rather lose an election where they will likely lose the Supreme Court for a generation or two than have him as a the de facto leader of the GOP by virtue of being president of the United States.

And he thinks he's ready to be the most powerful man in the world? As if.

NeoXChaos

Or have the liberal electorate wake the fuck up during the midterms. I don't think this is accomplished by simply electing a liberal president though. Unlike the tea party, a left wing grassroots movement wouldn't have Koch money backing it either. Regardless, if liberals want more progressive legislation they need to do just that and not focus on simply the top spot.

I do think that economically we're further right than we've ever been. All one has to do is look at tax rates. Even the great liberal victory Obamacare is a result of a right wing think tank. Its a right wing band-aid the left has taken credit for because the right also can't work with a black man.

That being said this concept of accelerationism is fucking stupid and ignores the way the system we have in place and how to work within it.

Democrats don't have much of a liberal electorate in the plains and south so any coalition to win there will include moderates no matter the turnout.

PBY

Banned
"Wacko @glennbeck is a sad answer to the @SarahPalinUSA endorsement that Cruz so desperately wanted," Trump tweeted Thursday morning. "Glenn is a failing, crying, lost soul!"

Is this wise?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
"Wacko @glennbeck is a sad answer to the @SarahPalinUSA endorsement that Cruz so desperately wanted," Trump tweeted Thursday morning. "Glenn is a failing, crying, lost soul!"

Is this wise?

Trump knows what the GOP base wants better than the actual GOP, so I'd say yes.

It looks like Trump's taking my advice and just bludgeoning Cruz with whatever he can find at this point.

PBY

Banned
Trump knows what the GOP base wants better than the actual GOP, so I'd say yes.

It looks like Trump's taking my advice and just bludgeoning Cruz with whatever he can find at this point.

Lol what's crazy is that at this point Trump's best shot in Iowa might be to pick up a few percentage points of establishment support.

sangreal

Is this wise?

glennbeck is not very popular anymore

plus he shits on trump and palin all the time, so it certainly won't hurt trump w/ his base

Some serious damage control if Republicans think Trump is meaningfully less damaging to the brand than Cruz.

I could see Trump having more success with working class whites, but they're worried about Cruz as an extremist compared to the guy who says we should deport 11 million immigrants, build a wall and make Mexico pay for it, and bar all Muslims from coming in?

I suppose Trump could just be seen as his own thing whereas Cruz would more represent what the establishment GOP is, but this has not worked out for the GOP at all.

Makai

TrumpScript programming language

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/donald-trump-in-a-programming-language

No floating point numbers, only integers. America never does anything halfway.

All numbers must be strictly greater than 1 million. The small stuff is inconsequential to us.

There are no import statements allowed. All code has to be home-grown and American made.

Instead of True and False, we have fact and lie.

Only the most popular English words, Trump's favorite words, and current politician names can be used as variable names.

Error messages are mostly quotes directly taken from Trump himself.

All programs must end with "America is great."

Our language will automatically correct Forbes' $4.5B to $10B.

In its raw form, TrumpScript is not compatible with Windows, because Trump isn't the type of guy to believe in PC.

The language is completely case insensitive.

ivysaur12

Banned

sangreal

So what did Nate Silver say on Chris Hayes' show? Did anyone watch it?

I watched it. He didn't really say much. Just that the establishment has decided to use Trump to knock off Cruz early or something to that effect and that he thinks it is a mistake.

I was only half paying attention though, so maybe I missed when he described his 'newfound admiration' or whatever

kingkitty

Some serious damage control if Republicans think Trump is meaningfully less damaging to the brand than Cruz.

I could see Trump having more success with working class whites, but they're worried about Cruz as an extremist compared to the guy who says we should deport 11 million immigrants, build a wall and make Mexico pay for it, and bar all Muslims from coming in?

I suppose Trump could just be seen as his own thing whereas Cruz would more represent what the establishment GOP is, but this has not worked out for the GOP at all.

yeah...it seems like establishment Republicans are suffering from incredible tunnel vision.

Is this wise?

Beck isn't much these days but I don't think Trump expected the degree of Palin crazy he got either.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I imagine the math goes something like this:

Trumps ideas are so insane they'll never get passed. Even with a GOP House and Senate no, 11 million people are not being deported

Cruz's ideas are just sane enough that they could actually find traction and having that sort of stuff really implemented could seriously seriously harm them long term

NYT has a really brilliant article today on how the Trump / Cruz debate is splitting conservative officials and intellectuals. I really get the thinking much better after reading this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/22/us/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-republican-establishment.html

ivysaur12

Banned
NYT has a really brilliant article today on how the Trump / Cruz debate is splitting conservative officials and intellectuals. I really get the thinking much better after reading this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/22/us/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-republican-establishment.html

I don't understand this line of thinking at all! Donald would be immeasurably worse than Cruz! Kristol is right(!) here:

Mr. Kristol, the editor of The Weekly Standard, said the personal contempt for Mr. Cruz among some Republican insiders was blinding.

“Cruz is so hated in Washington that there’s this distortion about him that he’s outside the bounds of what is plausible in American politics,” Mr. Kristol said.

If they're already talking about eating a loss in November, shouldn't they just put Cruz up as a sacrifice? Won't they just have to deal with him AGAIN in 2020 if Trump is the nominee and loses? I don't see how Cruz would meaningfully be in the conversation to lose twice in a row to Hillary Clinton.

Or if they're resigning themselves to a loss, shouldn't they just run a third candidate then, salvage some of the downballot and divorce themselves from the other loon?

NeoXChaos

If they're already talking about eating a loss in November, shouldn't they just put Cruz up as a sacrifice? Won't they just have to deal with him AGAIN in 2020 if Trump is the nominee and loses? I don't see how Cruz would meaningfully be in the conversation to lose twice in a row to Hillary Clinton.

Or if they're resigning themselves to a loss, shouldn't they just run a third candidate then, salvage some of the downballot and divorce themselves from the other loon?

exactly. Cruz is definitely running again if he loses to Trump.

Trunp is less damaging because a narrative that Trump is not the Republican Party is a far easier sell than a narrative that Cruz doesn't represent the party. One is a politician and the other isn't.

They're most likely correct in their assesment. Now all they need is to say that they'll just let him do his thing and focus their resources on local races instead and i can fire up the u mad benji? post. (

Gotchaye

I think the idea is that Trump is sui generis. He's not a long-term threat to the party because his influence isn't going to outlast his candidacy. He's a symptom of the internal problems the party has, but he's not going to make them worse. And Trump isn't very motivated to make sure that the party stays on the path he's on. Cruz is a much more traditional politician, who's also a true believer, and who probably personally dislikes many of the people who personally dislike him. They want him away from the party machinery.

And like Coriolanus just said it's also easier to sell everyone else on the idea that Trump was some weird hiccup on the path to a new, minority-loving Republican Party, even if he sounds worse than Cruz when he talks.

I think the idea is that Trump is sui generis. He's not a long-term threat to the party because his influence isn't going to outlast his candidacy. He's a symptom of the internal problems the party has, but he's not going to make them worse.

Yes, this is it. Cruz really is the inheritor of the John Birch style isolationism that Republicans thought they destroyed back in the Cold War. They're willing to do almost anything to keep that from coming back, including nominating Donald Trump to be President.

delirium

Fuck it. I've never donated to a campaign before but I'm going to donate to Hillary's.

How much spam do normal campaigns send out to the email and phone provided?

ivysaur12

Banned
I think the idea is that Trump is sui generis. He's not a long-term threat to the party because his influence isn't going to outlast his candidacy. He's a symptom of the internal problems the party has, but he's not going to make them worse. And Trump isn't very motivated to make sure that the party stays on the path he's on. Cruz is a much more traditional politician, who's also a true believer, and who probably personally dislikes many of the people who personally dislike him. They want him away from the party machinery.

And like Coriolanus just said it's also easier to sell everyone else on the idea that Trump was some weird hiccup on the path to a new, minority-loving Republican Party, even if he sounds worse than Cruz when he talks.

Just wait until Cruz comes back with a vengeance in 2020!

2 Ted 2 Cruz

Fuck it. I've never donated to a campaign before but I'm going to donate to Hillary's.

I got pretty regular emails from her (and Bernie's campaign), but you can unsubscribe and it's pretty hassle free.

The thing to look out for is you'll probably start getting emails from other campaigns as these organizations tend to share donor lists.

From her campaign, it's not too bad. I get maybe one every few days, especially if something big like the Palin endorsement comes out. Nothing insane. Just, if you somehow get on the DSCC list opt out immediately. I was getting 2 a day from them. It was ridiculous.

This is incredibly reductive. The top tax rate has converged to around 40% or lower in most OECD countries.

By a similarly reductive argument, our liberal party is more liberal economically than Europe, because some social democratic parties in Europe rode the austerity wave while Obama stick with Keynesian stimulus.

EDIT: Our corporate tax rate is also higher than most OECD countries. Does that also prove how liberal the democratic parry is?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Young Marco's 3-2-1 (currently 4-4/5-3) plan is interesting. It's like even his advisors believe at some point he will break out.

I believe a third place finish for Jeb! Would be big for him in Iowa. He would probably finish second in NH if he can swing that.

I also think there could be another dynamic in play.

The GOP knows that Cruz is never, ever going to win. Their best chance at a winner is someone they probably know can't be nominated. However, maybe they think Trump has a (small) chance simply for the LOLZ. I mean, a President Trump is not going to be controlled by the party, but I bet he'd go along with most things a GOP Congress passes. So, maybe they've accepted it because Trump can play President, while they control the actual office somehow.

Trunp is less damaging because a narrative that Trump is not the Republican Party is a far easier sell than a narrative that Cruz doesn't represent the party. One is a politician and the other isn't.

They're most likely correct in their assesment. Now all they need is to say that they'll just let him do his thing and focus their resources on local races instead and i can fire up the u mad benji? post. (

You can't say that when he is the actual nominee that represents the Republican party. It would be very easy to pant the entire GOP party including the senators and house members. That will hurt their image more so than anything. Plus, these guys are stupid. Trump has very reason to listen to any of them when he has the GOP by the balls.

In my opinion the general public hates Trump more than Ted, but it is the other way around for the Republicans officials. If anything people will still be surprised that Trump gets the nominee despite some knowing it is possible. I can really see it being divisive to the party a lot of Republicans disagreeing hugely with the decision and some thinking it would be a great idea.

This is incredibly reductive. The top tax rate has converged to around 40% or lower in most OECD countries.

By a similarly reductive argument, our liberal party is more liberal economically than Europe, because some social democratic parties in Europe rode the austerity wave while Obama stick with Keynesian stimulus.

EDIT: Our corporate tax rate is also higher than most OECD countries. Does that also prove how liberal the democratic parry is?

Our effective rates are lower than the OCED average, at least the last time I looked. I'm not sure why you're bringing upper rates in OCED countries or austerity measures in parts of Europe anyway. My comparison was from America in the past to America today. One president using stimulus doesn't invalidate my comparison using tax rates. Wealth redistribution is an ugly word, but only when it redistributes down. We've been happily redistributing money back up since the 80's due to slashing upper rates.

djxlrdtxkka5dyre_19ha.png

I don't think Trump would even do much to rile up the base (thus helping downballot Republicans). Cruz is far more popular among Republicans.

Kyosaiga

Banned
You know I was reading old PoliGAF threads and man B-Dubs and other posters you were praying hard for trump just to make it to the first debate in August.

Hahahaha

Little did we know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom