• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Eh, I feel like we say he's done every few weeks and it never happens. It's a cult of personality and there's no way to break his spell, he knows his audience too well. That ad is just going to make them dig their heels in.

More so, he went so far off the deep end, it does not even seem like the same person.

If Bernie gets the nod he'll need to pick someone like Biden, lots of foreign policy experience and even more experience on the Hill. He'll also need to be smart enough to listen to the guy when it comes to stuff he doesn't know. Whoever he picks is also going to need to be a good dealmaker since Bernie is lacking there too.

Running with that theory... Al Gore? Not sure who else fits the bill off the top of my head.

This is a little out there, but consider this...

Hillary picks a businessman as her running mate to counter Trump.

Who would you consider? Mark Cuban maybe?

As an SA native and someone who voted for Castro multiple times I can say he's very well liked. His story is very relateable to many latinos that have traveled similar paths. Castro was very forward thinking he pushed pre-k for SA initiative and won voter approval for a tax increase to fund it. He also setup cafe college which helps students from middle school to high school better prepare for college offering resources like test prep materials, advising services. They also offer transfer services and helping students come back to school after being out for whatever reasons they may have had. He also lead SA 2020 Which was a process of where does our city want be in 2020 and how to best meet those goals based on citizen input via public forums. He was also a big part of SA becoming a Google fiber city as was his brother. Please don't discount him because "he doesn't speak Spanish!"
Sounds like a pretty natural advocate for Hillary's education proposals, if nothing else.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Running with that theory... Al Gore? Not sure who else fits the bill off the top of my head.

Dunno, but I'm guessing someone from the Senate or House would be the best bet.

Who would you consider? Mark Cuban maybe?

images%2Farticle%2F2015%2F11%2F20%2F1437591715198.gif

Holmes

Don't get into a political debate with your spouse if he's a Sandernista and according to him, everything wrong with the system is............the establishment.

Mark Cuban is not a democrat and said Trump was the best thing to happen to politics this summer. He's a social liberal, fiscal conservative, like a lot of billionaires.

This is what he had to say about Trump this winter:

Mark Cuban said:
He’s like that guy who’s going into a bar, and he’ll say whatever it’ll take to get laid. Only in this case he’s not trying to fuck some girl, he’s trying to fuck the country.

Hexa

This is what he had to say about Trump this winter:

He also said the following in the same interview. This is right after the speech about the Muslim ban.

Cuban said, “He’s just getting started, Seriously there’s so much more to come. They’re not playing for real yet. There is nothing real at stake. This is all just chit chat. He’s just warming up the audience. He’s like that guy who walks into the bar, and will say whatever it’ll take to get laid. Only in this case he’s not trying to f-ck some girl. He’s trying to f-ck the country.”

When asked about his previous support for Trump, Cuban said, “Everybody’s got that friend that they pick on, that one guy that you know has a good heart and wants to do the right thing but does some of the stupidest sh-t all the time. I actually like him and get along with him, but he’s kinda gone off.”

I don't really get the point of an optics focused VP pick, as opposed to - you know - someone who could capably assume the role if necessary. Because shit happens.

If she ends up the Democratic nominee, she'll already have a historic candidacy.

Isn't the whole point of Rubio that he's an optics focused presidential pick? I kept reading Republican columnists gloating about how he'd be a clear "generational contrast" to Clinton, like his biggest strength would be to get up on the debate stage and look young.

Don't get into a political debate with your spouse if he's a Sandernista and according to him, everything wrong with the system is............the establishment.

I know that feel!

I got to listen to my 18 year old nephew explain how he knows everything about politics and how government works tonight while playing Call of Duty. My other nephew and I were just laughing. Bernie's going to get 450 Electoral votes AT MINIMUM. My other nephew is a Hillary guy. We were both tipsy enough that we found the whole thing hilarious.

Maledict

Went to a fundraiser dinner with HRC many years ago - she stopped by the table and made like 10 minutes of small talk (one of the people at the table was a big fundraiser) - she's awesomely relatable if you like nerding out about policy, history, and cause and long-term effect of said policy, and also, holy shit that woman can drink.

Well there's always that story of her drinking McCain and Lindsey Graham under the table on vodka shots during a senate foreign visit...

kingkitty

He was running to catch a train. Between stuff like this and his anecdote about not owning a tuxedo, he gets closer and closer to Larry David's satire of him every day.

and then on the other end, you have Hillary asking Huma to print out tea recipes and cat pics.

do you not have your own printer, Hillary? what are you hiding?

I don't think Bernie is wrong. The establishment largely exists to maintain a status who that benefits them. Of course we need to reign in Wall St and lobbyists. I just don't believe Sanders is the guy to do it. More importantly it's high time people realize one man or president isn't going to do anything. You need congress. This isn't a fairy tale where one man wins and "the people" pressure a republican congress to pass legislation that hurts the establishment.

Another case of Sandrs operating as if the last eight years didn't happen. We've seen outside mobilization of people by a talented, popular president not move congress at all. How is replacing a talented politician with a bad politician going to change that outcome?

Another case of Sandrs operating as if the last eight years didn't happen. We've seen outside mobilization of people by a talented, popular president not move congress at all. How is replacing a talented politician with a bad politician going to change that outcome?

Just ask Saint-Just. :D

but for realsies, its hard to quantify sanders as a bad politician. I mean, wtf does that make omalley then?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You're thinking of Patrick.

But let's not forget Booker's gem from 2012:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co7GpMks8UA

But I agree with this. I mean, it's not palatable politically, but the assault on private equity doesn't make a ton of sense. 1) Almost no one knows what private equity is 2) Almost no one knows what equity is 3) the problem was that Romney was an alien, not that he worked for private equity.

Booker takes WS money and he's a corporatist. I don't expect him to turn them into a bogeyman.

Diablos

How the fuck is Hillary losing in both IA and NH?

Look, this isn't 2008 where the GOP brand was so damaged that Dems had all the time in the world to drag out the primary fight. The primary needs to end and it needs to end fast.

Sanders is not electable and the fact that so many Dems are breaking for him is very concerning.

Makai

How the fuck is Hillary losing in both IA and NH?

Look, this isn't 2008 where the GOP brand was so damaged that Dems had all the time in the world to drag out the primary fight. The primary needs to end and it needs to end fast.

Sanders is not electable and the fact that so many Dems are breaking for him is very concerning.
You sure the Republican brand has more value under Trump than after the recession?

noshten

Yes. Sanders is also, not to emulate Trump, but a total LOSER in the GE. He can't fucking win. Why can't anyone understand this

Explain to me how the all mighty Trump is going to beat Bernie in a GE?

Try to rationalize a Trump victory over Sanders, he gets minority voters all the sudden? Turnout is below 50%? What is the realistic path for Trump win in a GE against Sanders or Clinton - I really like to hear your opinion on the matter since you seem so sure of this acting like it's some fact.

Diablos

Explain to me how the all mighty Trump is going to beat Bernie in a GE?

Try to rationalize a Trump victory over Sanders, he gets minority voters all the sudden? Turnout is below 50%? What is the realistic path for Trump win in a GE against Sanders or Clinton - I really like to hear your opinion on the matter since you seem so sure of this acting like it's some fact.
Bernie isn't a realistic candidate. Everything he is selling requires a Democratic controlled House and Senate by comfortable margins which is not happening, and frankly, a left-leaning SCOTUS (which we currently do not have) that would not throw out his policies if he could somehow manage to make them laws.

Don't underestimate how enthused white voters will be to vote Trump where it counts.
It would probably be a somewhat close race but Sanders will no doubt have a hard time outspending Trump or even coming close to him. Bernie has a very enthused base but I don't really see any evidence of this translating into a formidable general election campaign, i.e. Obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom