• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
M3ttjpT.jpg

From a former Simpsons animator.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump winning iowa may lead to the VERY rare circumstance where a GOP candidate wins every fucking state in a row.

I don't see any other outcome. This is amazing, given what nate silver etc were saying for months now.

The thing with Trump is that he's been honest with himself in a way that the rest of the GOP elite have not: he's acknowledged that the racism and authoritarianism is a huge draw for their electorate while the establishment politicians still think it's all about their economic message. The fact is that they never stood a chance against someone who was not only everything the establishment told the base they wanted, but someone who was willing to say all of that racist shit out loud.

Things that will never happen:

Vice President Ellison

That would be worth it for the reactions alone.

Duckworth, meanwhile, has called for accepting 200,000 refugees, including 100,000 from Syria — far more than the number supported by President Obama.

I like this.

Kirk has called her position extreme, even compared with other Democrats. At the recent lunch presentation, he said it was the equivalent of giving ISIS an “air force” to invade the U.S.

*Jerk off motion*

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Never heard of her (though from a cursory look she seems cool), but where Sherrod Brown is concerned, I would be reticent to pick a sitting Senator or Governor from a swing state like Ohio. Or, really, anywhere but stalwart blue states like NY or CA. Not always so easy to replace those.

At the same time, having someone from a swing state is real handy in your election bid.

I doubt most Ohioans actually know who Fudge is. That's not a knock against her, but she's not really a huge player in state politics. She's relatively new to federal positions. Her record is fine, but she seems like nothing more than a demographic check box.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt most Ohioans actually know who Fudge is. That's not a knock against her, but she's not really a huge player in state politics. She's relatively new to federal positions. Her record is fine, but she seems like nothing more than a demographic check box.

And Castro isn't? I mean, the guy can't speak.

Marcia Fudge, then - black woman from a swing state who's done a lot of work for feminism; also quite charismatic. The point is picking someone who like Castro who is both uncharismatic and politically amorphous isn't a good move for Clinton to make; there are plenty of minorities who could appease the progressive wing of the Democratic party. I just picked Brown because he has slightly more profile.

you don't see ANY drawbacks to an all female ticket during the general election? REALLY?

User 406

Banned
Marcia Fudge is my rep and I'll thank you to keep your grimy mitts off her, thank you very much. >:|

I already had to deal with losing Kooch to the gerrymander. :(

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
you don't see ANY drawbacks to an all female ticket during the general election? REALLY?

No. I don't think it would impact the ticket much. At the point you're already willing to vote for a female president, the vice president being female is much of a muchness.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Marcia Fudge is my rep and I'll thank you to keep your grimy mitts off her, thank you very much. >:|

I already had to deal with losing Kooch to the gerrymander. :(

You're lucky, she's rather impressive. Deserves a higher profile.

No. I don't think it would impact the ticket much. At the point you're already willing to vote for a female president, the vice president being female is much of a muchness.

the point of the VP is to shore up weaknesses in the general election candidate. you want to be able to bring people in the tent that are reluctant to vote for a female candidate, much as obama did with the biden pick.

Picking two women on the ticket is less than useless, because sexism is most definitely still a thing and the GOP will not hesitate to exploit it.

This. It doesn't hurt at all. It doesn't necessarily help, but come on - if the top of the ticket is a woman, why would it matter if the VP is a woman?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
the point of the VP is to shore up weaknesses in the general election candidate. you want to be able to bring people in the tent that are reluctant to vote for a female candidate, much as obama did with the biden pick.

Picking two women on the ticket is less than useless, because sexism is most definitely still a thing and the GOP will not hesitate to exploit it.

I don't think that the number of people who are too sexist to vote for a female president/female vice president but not sexist enough not to vote for a female president/male vice president is particularly large.

I still don't get this appeal of Julian Castro to anybody. I mean if she had to pick a Castro, then I'd go Joaquín.

He was a ceremonial Mayor that was seemingly elevated to a comparatively low level cabinet post in a desperate search for Obama 2.0. His ethnicity and age really seems like the only thing anyone is picking him for.

I still don't get this appeal of Julian Castro to anybody. I mean if she had to pick a Castro, then I'd go Joaquín.

He was a ceremonial Mayor that was seemingly elevated to a comparatively low level cabinet post in a desperate search for Obama 2.0. His ethnicity and age really seems like the only thing anyone is picking him for.

Do they all look the same to you? Huh?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
We need a Trump/Jeb ticket
Trump would never pick somebody as low energy as Jeb!

I wonder if any "mainstream" republicans are stupid enough to hitch themselves to trump at this point. I don't see Cruz doing it. Only other R candidate I would see doing it is Carson and I don't think trump would pick him.

Maybe we'll get like the Go Daddy CEO or something.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Basically. He's uncharismatic, he has no real experience, he doesn't really excite any particular faction, he's not from a swing state (he's sure as hell not bringing in Texas). Where did all the hype come from? Weird nonsense from the chattering classes. He's absolutely not the Hispanic Obama.

ivysaur12

Banned

If she's going to choose a Hispanic man, I'd go with Xavier Baccera (admittedly one of my home congressmen). But he's too old.

I could 100% see Kasich being Trump's VP.

I don't think Kasich would take it if offered.

PBY

Banned
Trump would never pick somebody as low energy as Jeb!

I wonder if any "mainstream" republicans are stupid enough to hitch themselves to trump at this point. I don't see Cruz doing it. Only other R candidate I would see doing it is Carson and I don't think trump would pick him.

Maybe we'll get like the Go Daddy CEO or something.
Plain would do it. Trump wouldn't tho.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Kasich would want the job.

I think it's entirely conceivable he could be pressured into doing it. The Republicans don't want to be wiped out; they need to balance Trump as much as can be done. Kasich doesn't have much of a career if this bid goes AWOL (I feel pretty confident anyone who loses to Trump is done), so he's got nothing to lose.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think it's entirely conceivable he could be pressured into doing it. The Republicans don't want to be wiped out; they need to balance Trump as much as can be done. Kasich doesn't have much of a career if this bid goes AWOL (I feel pretty confident anyone who loses to Trump is done), so he's got nothing to lose.

I think when you're smart enough to see a ship that's sinking, you don't row over to the boat and jump on.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think when you're smart enough to see a ship that's sinking, you don't row over to the boat and jump on.

Yeah, but Kasich is already sunk. None of these guys are ever going to have serious careers again. When Trump loses, they'll always be the guys who lost to Trump.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
(I feel pretty confident anyone who loses to Trump is done)
No way Rubio and Cruz def try again, mayyyybe Christie and Jeb

Edit: and who knows, maybe Rand will take up the family business of fleecing gold bugs, truthers and college students every four years to no avail.

Yeah, but Kasich is already sunk. None of these guys are ever going to have serious careers again. When Trump loses, they'll always be the guys who lost to Trump.

Eh, I wouldn't take that for granted. The Republican Party isn't going to clear their entire field by 2020.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No way Rubio and Cruz def try again, mayyyybe Christie and Jeb

I mean, they might try again, but they're not going anywhere. Cruz is an exception because losing to the non-establishment when you are also non-establishment is fine, he might take off in the future (although I still doubt it), but Rubio is not making the big leagues again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Traditionally, Repubilcans have to run two or three times before they get the nomination. They'll be back.

These ain't traditional times. Losing to McCain, like Romney did, or Bush, like McCain did is fine; in the same way Clinton losing to Obama was. You just lost out to a slightly better candidate but ultimately you and that candidate were from similar positions in the party sphere. Losing to Trump is a different matter. It's not that another candidate was better than you, it's that you were totally unsuited to what the party wanted at all.

These ain't traditional times. Losing to McCain, like Romney did, or Bush, like McCain did is fine; in the same way Clinton losing to Obama was. You just lost out to a slightly better candidate but ultimately you and that candidate were from similar positions in the party sphere. Losing to Trump is a different matter. It's not that another candidate was better than you, it's that you were totally unsuited to what the party wanted at all.

Goddamn, dude, you keep saying what I want to say before I can say it...at least re: 'These ain't traditional times.'

120v

people think veep picks are beauty contests, basically. no regard for what they'll actually do in an administration

ivysaur12

Banned

Rubio and Cruz will easily run again. I think Rubio will get no traction from a 2020 bid, but still.

I just don't see the upside for Kasich to taint any future he has in Washington doing anything by running with Trump.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
You cray if you don't think Rubio will run again. He'll become governor and run in 8-12 years.
10 year olds start voting in 8 years
Let's turn the pool game Marco Polo into Marco! Rubio! and start teaching kids to run away when they hear the name.

Please don't ever entertain this idea ever again. I live in Wisconsin and I will walk through fire to prevent another Walker 'anything' in Wisconsin.

Unless Hillary Clinton runs for WI governor, I guess.

How dare you insinuate that Hillary Clinton would be some type of carpetbagger.
/s :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom