• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clefargle

Is anyone else really fucking creeped out by how some of the people in the Iowa thread are talking about black people/minorities in general as if they're some sort of weird unintelligent hivemind that all just follow whatever celebrities say? Really fucking weird.

Yup, and even weirder when people talk about which white candidate "deserves" the black vote. I get that some have more of a history of activism in the civil rights movement, but that's not a chip they can "cash in" and take the entire "black voting block" or whatever imaginary group they want to lump them into.

It reminds me of bernies answer as to why he didn't have the minority vote in the debate saying they just didn't know his record. I mean no one has ever stopped to think that minorities know exactly who Bernie is and still don't want to vote for him.

Clefargle

Yeah, and there is also a thinly veiled implication of stupidity towards those black people that feel Clinton has their backs. It's embarrassing and one of the things I like least of fellow liberals.

CCS

Banned
Yup, and even weirder when people talk about which white candidate "deserves" the black vote. I get that some have more of a history of activism in the civil rights movement, but that's not a chip they can "cash in" and take the entire "black voting block" or whatever imaginary group they want to lump them into.

You gained "Marched with MLK"!: +10 to popularity with black people, immunity to criticism on policy with regards to race!

Yeah, really not how it works is it.

It reminds me of bernies answer as to why he didn't have the minority vote in the debate saying they just didn't know his record. I mean no one has ever stopped to think that minorities know exactly who Bernie is and still don't want to vote for him.

Yeah; he used that on a couple of debates and it's getting to a point where the only answer is "well, why they hell don't they know you by now?"

There was a post on r/sanders4president said something along the lines of 'black people are not for Bernie because they don't have internet, so we have to go knock on doors.'

CCS

Banned
I think part of the problem is there is a tendency all across politics for people to lean towards thinking "anyone who doesn't agree with me is stupid or evil", and since voters in primaries have (at least in theory) roughly similar positions, sometimes people assume that those who don't like their candidate must either not be informed enough or must be too stupid to realise that they are the best candidate. I think the reason we're seeing so much of this from Sanders' supporters is that they tend to be young and idealistic, which is also the group who are least likely to accept that there can be multiple different positions with some validity on any issue.

It's interesting you all bring that up.

My cousin and I get along great. She's like 9 or 10 years older than me, but we both have a love for politics and certain TV shows. We usually email each other a few times a week. Anyway, my mom was talking to her mom last night and mentioned that we supported Hillary. (We're all Democrats on that side of the family). I knew my cousin liked Bernie by her Facebook posts, so I just kinda didn't acknowledge her support. So, I got an email this morning from her letting me know how disappointed she was in me and in my (and I quote) "ignorance." She proceeded to explain to me why I was hurting my community (of which she is definitely not a part, she's straight as an arrow but definitely supportive of LGBT people, especially since our other aunt's son is transitioning). She, literally, assumed I was too stupid to understand the candidate's positions on LGBT issues. Like...I'm actually shocked by this. It wasn't a nice email, and she managed to accuse me of wanting to throw trans issues under the bus at the expense of queer issues.

I mean, I am a moderately intelligent person. I don't think that I need things explained to me. I can draw my own conclusions. I'm probably guilty of trying to over explain a position to people, but this is really something else. At the very least, it made me aware of checking my privilege and my position when I attempt to engage in a community that isn't my own.

Clefargle

I think part of the problem is there is a tendency all across politics for people to lean towards thinking "anyone who doesn't agree with me is stupid or evil", and since voters in primaries have (at least in theory) roughly similar positions, sometimes people assume that those who don't like their candidate must either not be informed enough or must be too stupid to realise that they are the best candidate. I think the reason we're seeing so much of this from Sanders' supporters is that they tend to be young and idealistic, which is also the group who are least likely to accept that there can be multiple different positions with some validity on any issue.

Yeah but remember, #notallberniebots. This is an issue for him, but most other Bernie supporters play it off as something that comes with the online community territory. I think Sanders could have done a better job of addressing issues more minorities care about by just reducing his campaign finance reform platform slightly. I know its a huge issue, but not everyone thinks its the biggest one right now. Some people think that police reform is more important. Most of the time I see sanders supporters simply tell people they are wrong for thinking anything could be as/more important than getting money out of politics. With that attitude, I'm not surprised that he doesn't have more minority support. It is a huge issue, but clearly not to everyone. Campaign finance reform may save democracy, but social justice issues are more pressing to some because they are fucking dying out there.

CCS

Banned
It's interesting you all bring that up.

My cousin and I get along great. She's like 9 or 10 years older than me, but we both have a love for politics and certain TV shows. We usually email each other a few times a week. Anyway, my mom was talking to her mom last night and mentioned that we supported Hillary. (We're all Democrats on that side of the family). I knew my cousin liked Bernie by her Facebook posts, so I just kinda didn't acknowledge her support. So, I got an email this morning from her letting me know how disappointed she was in me and in my (and I quote) "ignorance." She proceeded to explain to me why I was hurting my community (of which she is definitely not a part, she's straight as an arrow but definitely supportive of LGBT people, especially since our other aunt's son is transitioning). She, literally, assumed I was too stupid to understand the candidate's positions on LGBT issues. Like...I'm actually shocked by this. It wasn't a nice email, and she managed to accuse me of wanting to throw trans issues under the bus at the expense of queer issues.

I mean, I am a moderately intelligent person. I don't think that I need things explained to me. I can draw my own conclusions. I'm probably guilty of trying to over explain a position to people, but this is really something else. At the very least, it made me aware of checking my privilege and my position when I attempt to engage in a community that isn't my own.

Oh god this. I was having a discussion with one of my straight acquaintances (I'm openly queer) about politics, and when I mentioned that I'm a Hillary fan I was accused of being homophobic and hating queer people. Direct quote: "I've read a lot about gay issues so you should accept that I might know better than you." That is 100% accurate.

Yeah but remember, #notallberniebots. This is an issue for him, but most other Bernie supporters play it off as something that comes with the online community territory. I think Sanders could have done a better job of addressing issues more minorities care about by just reducing his campaign finance reform platform slightly. I know its a huge issue, but not everyone thinks its the biggest one right now. Some people think that police reform is more important. Most of the time I see sanders supporters simply tell people they are wrong for thinking anything could be as/more important than getting money out of politics. With that attitude, I'm not surprised that he doesn't have more minority support. It is a huge issue, but clearly not to everyone. Campaign finance reform may save democracy, but social justice issues are more pressing to some because they are fucking dying out there.

I mean, that's it in a nutshell. You ask these young, white Bernie supporters what aspect of government needs reform the most: campaign finance/Wall Street regulation/big business influence is what comes up. Pretty much none of them mention reforming the police/justice system.

I'm probably a bad liberal because campaign finance is like 6th on my list of important things we need to deal with. Ya, it sucks. Ya it shouldn't happen. No I don't think you should build a presidential campaign around it. I don't know that Bernie is capable of going off script. I saw an article where his ISIS plan involves Saudi Arabia and Iran (!?!?!) working together to defeat ISIS. I mean....

A super PAC never killed anyone. It didn't shoot an unarmed teenager in the streets. It didn't force a woman to drive 300 miles to have an abortion because she couldn't get one close to home. They're terrible. We need to get rid of Citizens United, but, I'm sorry, I do not see it as something that we should focus on to the exclusion of a lot of other things.

Oh god this. I was having a discussion with one of my straight acquaintances (I'm openly queer) about politics, and when I mentioned that I'm a Hillary fan I was accused of being homophobic and hating queer people. Direct quote: "I've read a lot about gay issues so you should accept that I might know better than you." That is 100% accurate.

I'm sorry. This so came out of left field for me. I thought maybe I was over reacting, so I let my mom read it. Bad idea. VERY bad idea. I was almost expecting the phrase "Silly little faggot" to appear near the end. We didn't get that bad, but we got damn close.

CCS

Banned
I'm probably a bad liberal because campaign finance is like 6th on my list of important things we need to deal with. Ya, it sucks. Ya it shouldn't happen. No I don't think you should build a presidential campaign around it. I don't know that Bernie is capable of going off script. I saw an article where his ISIS plan involves Saudi Arabia and Iran (!?!?!) working together to defeat ISIS. I mean....

A super PAC never killed anyone. It didn't shoot an unarmed teenager in the streets. It didn't force a woman to drive 300 miles to have an abortion because she couldn't get one close to home. They're terrible. We need to get rid of Citizens United, but, I'm sorry, I do not see it as something that we should focus on to the exclusion of a lot of other things.

I'm sorry. This so came out of left field for me. I thought maybe I was over reacting, so I let my mom read it. Bad idea. VERY bad idea. I was almost expecting the phrase "Silly little faggot" to appear near the end. We didn't get that bad, but we got damn close.

Wow, I'm sorry you had to put up with that. Sometimes I really hate some allies, some of them feel like the fact that they're allies means that they cannot possibly ever get anything wrong.

CCS

Banned
Fiorina may be my spirit animal.

I don't like pizza.

9588a05cc73a19118225c32632ca3e16.gif

tumblr_nmi5bdgOM61u5t9mmo1_500.gif

:p

We have a local place that makes a great "Italian" sub. It's Ohio Italian...so not Italian at all. I mean, I doubt Italians make sandwiches with bologna, American cheese and Italian dressing...But, everytime someone wants pizza, I get that and I'm happy.

At our phone bank, my mom and Barb cooked several things to bring, since they both know I hate pizza.

CCS

Banned

We have a local place that makes a great "Italian" sub. It's Ohio Italian...so not Italian at all. I mean, I doubt Italians make sandwiches with bologna, American cheese and Italian dressing...But, everytime someone wants pizza, I get that and I'm happy.

At our phone bank, my mom and Barb cooked several things to bring, since they both know I hate pizza.

Damn now I want a sandwich like that.

I should not come on here when I'm hungry :p

PBY

Banned

Fucking Ohio.

Makai

@realDonaldTrump Anybody who watched all of Ted Cruz's far too long, rambling, overly flamboyant speech last nite would say that was his Howard Dean moment!

I don't get the love of pizza. It's bread with sauce and cheese. Whoop de doo. When I do eat it, I get it with salad on top and thin crust. Usually with balsamic vinaigrette.

That' establishment pizza.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump just accused Cruz of "stealing" Iowa. Wow.

Hexa

So Trump is in the running for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Monday was not a good day for Donald Trump. His infamous phrase ‘loser’ came back to haunt him when he was forced to admit defeat to rival Ted Cruz in the Iowa caucus after weeks of being billed as the Republican frontrunner.

But on Tuesday, it emerged that Trump’s name had reportedly made it onto a list of nominees for the Nobel Peace Prize - alongside figures such as Pope Francis and a campaigner for Isis rape survivors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...peace-through-strength-ideology-a6850636.html

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rand out is a bad thing. He generally provided a reasonable answer onstage during debates and provided a stark contrast to the crazy stuff said by other candidates, making them look even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom