• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015-2016 |OT3| If someone named PhoenixDark leaves your party, call the cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hexa

Trump tried to both undercut and embrace Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, whom a series of recent polls have shown gaining on Trump in Iowa. Cruz also got a key endorsement this week from an influential Iowa evangelical leader. The billionaire businessman questioned the appeal of Cruz, given his opposition to subsidies for ethanol, an corn-based alternative fuel that has been a boom to Iowa's farm economy. "He's very anti-ethanol," Trump said. "I don't know how he wins Iowa."
He accused Cruz of being in the pocket of one of his state's chief industries. "The oil companies give him a lot of money," Trump said. "He's got to be with oil. I'm with you."
Later in the event, as Trump was taking questions from pre-assigned members of the audience, a man he called on said he was speaking on behalf of longtime conservative activist Phyllis Schlafly. The questioner said Schlafly wanted to know what job Trump is prepared to offer Cruz "when you win the nomination."
"Will you name him your vice president or to the United States Supreme Court?" Schlafly's representative asked.
Trump paused to consider the question. "I like Ted Cruz a lot," he said. "I would say we certainly have things in mind for Ted."

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...ump-predicts-bad-news-from-upcoming-iowa-poll

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed. And? Do you perchance want speakers to retain that perk or are you opposed to this solely because it came from republicans?
He didn't say he opposed it, he said it's funny they didn't care about the fiscal angle of the perk after they specifically turned on boehner

Iolo

Eh, drop in the bucket that it may be, there really is very little reason to keep that perk around. Might as well get rid of it.
Plus it does stay coherent with their "cut the fat" narrative.

There's a very good reason to keep it around. Retired speakers can continue to use their connections to raise money for the party. This only damages themselves, especially given Ryan's disdain for fundraising.

There's a very good reason to keep it around. Retired speakers can continue to use their connections to raise money for the party. This only damages themselves, especially given Ryan's disdain for fundraising.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that those that care for fundraising will keep on doing that just fine without the perk.

Plus, with republicans retaining the speakership for the short and medium term? Yeah, better to get rid of it. Can always put it back in place once one gets the house again.

John Podesta of Hillarys (and previously Obamas) campaign says the nominee is going to be Cruz or Rubo.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/podesta-cruz-is-likely-gop-nominee-216713

Cruz being the nominee would be interesting to watch. If he loses, what happens to Tea Party fanatics that think running a radical-right candidate is the key to winning the White House? What would be their response to Cruz having less electoral votes than Romney, and maybe even McCain?

Cerium

Cruz being the nominee would be interesting to watch. If he loses, what happens to Tea Party fanatics that think running a radical-right candidate is the key to winning the White House? What would be their response to Cruz having less electoral votes than Romney, and maybe even McCain?

"Should've gone with Trump, we needed a true outsider, someone who never held office, a great deal maker with business experience who employs lots of minorities who love him."

Holmes

siren.gif
CRUZ 29%, TRUMP 22%, RUBIO 13%, CARSON 11%
siren.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Carson's votes seem to go to Cruz more than Trump, so I'm pretty confident Cruz will take Iowa now. That said, it's a caucus state, so who the fuck knows.

Hexa

Xth8rHU.png

Carson's votes seem to go to Cruz more than Trump, so I'm pretty confident Cruz will take Iowa now. That said, it's a caucus state, so who the fuck knows.

Who has a better ground game? Cruz or Trump? Trump has Chuck Laudner, but is there any indication other than that he's actually doing well?

danm999

How fucking thin skinned is this guy that he needs to call out individual poll results that don't favour him. If he gets the nomination is he going to do that all year?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What's the point in polling an uncompetitive race?

The last DMR/Selzer had Clinton at +7 at the end of October, which is actually pretty competitive. Given their track record, I just wanted to see what they made of the race by this point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
How fucking thin skinned is this guy that he needs to call out individual poll results that don't favour him. If he gets the nomination is he going to do that all year?

It's not about being thin skinned, its about maintaining his image of inevitablity.

Trump is probably the whiniest presidential candidate ever.

Complains about biased polls. Complains about the media being mean to him in the debates. Threatens to take his ball and go home CONSTANTLY.

Yet somehow his idiot supporters perceive this as Trump being a straight-shooter who pulls no punches, when in reality, he's just a nonstop fucking crybaby.

When's the next Iowa poll?
There's apparently a Fox one out tomorrow and PPP are releasing their Iowa results this week.

There'll be one more Selzer poll, released 2-3 days before the caucuses. It'll be the single most hyped poll of the primaries.

Cerium

John Podesta of Hillarys (and previously Obamas) campaign says the nominee is going to be Cruz or Rubo.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/podesta-cruz-is-likely-gop-nominee-216713

Podesta was not part of Obama's campaign, he led Obama's transition and was previously Bill's White House Chief of Staff. He's an old school Clinton loyalist. I don't think he was ever really a campaign guy; they brought him on this time to keep everyone else in line since he has the stature to do it.

Gods, that video on the thread about the dude being executed as he walked and then crawled away from the police in lynwood is... something.

Complains about biased polls. Complains about the media being mean to him in the debates. Threatens to take his ball and go home CONSTANTLY.
Yet somehow his idiot supporters perceive this as Trump being a straight-shooter who pulls no punches, when in reality, he's just a nonstop fucking crybaby.

The media was mean to him, though. That first fox news debate set the tone. Just so happens that he deserves every ounce of meanness.

Farmboy

Yep. This may be what has surprised me most about his whole candidacy: that the base would eat up his xenophobic ravings is something we should have seen coming.

But the incredible pettiness - which at multiple points I thought might have a chance of hurting him - actually being perceived as strong leadership? Really, how gullible are these people?

Consider that when he does that, he is also feeding a talking point to his followers.

Plus i doubt that there`s a significant "well i'd vote for him.... but then he bitched about one poll too many!" voter pool. These people do seem to go along with the lieberal media narrative, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom