• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubio was my establishment pick behind Trump as my non establishment pick. I don't think any particular GOP candidate has a great change at the national.

Jeb's problem is that he isn't performing well in debates, which results in his numbers stagnating or falling during the dead periods between one debate and the next. He has been unable to get his name in the news during regular campaign periods in large part because he's not a good candidate and regular people know it. He's attacking Rubio and sending dog whistles on political correctness but nobody seems to care. Meanwhile Rubio looked and sounded good in the debates (to conservatives) and is picking up donors.

Bush is running the typical republican campaign - massive tax cuts, saber rattling, etc - with some slightly moderate views on social issues thrown in. That mixed with his bland personality has rendered him irrelevant. Damn Romney has to be wondering why he let this chump scare him out the race.

Meanwhile Cruz is well positioned to take Iowa IMO. He's doubling down there, including a 10 city tour of the state this month. Trump is a non presence there. Carson could win the state but I'm more apt to bet on Cruz having a better ground game.

What caliber of world event?

Hillary will be able to run on her SoS experience. Rubio has been on a committee for a few years, and he's too much of a warhawk. Hillary takes him on foreign policy easily.

He isn't that great a speaker. He consistently comes off strained, like a little boy trying not to break down crying. He's awkward.

It's also been proven that he doesn't have any extra Hispanic appeal.

Does he lack experience in general? He'll have Republican views so because of that it would be difficult for him the general.

I also think he flipped-flop a lot so it'll be easy for dems to get him on that. The problem of I also see that he doesn't have any proposals yet I think. I doubt he'll be capably of making up plans ; it'll look like he'll just be anti-dem and not giving a lot of policies. It is a problem with most of the field.

I wonder if it is possible if Jeb Bush loses support he'll drop out sometime this year or early next. Rubio would be the target for everyone I think.

Man, what can we do about this? If only there were a demographic of people out there who breed like crazy, don't mind hard work for a decent wage, and are only being held back by archaic racist laws......

ohhhhhhhhhh

We don't really need to do anything. The participation rate is only important insofar as it influences our ability to finance retirement and medical spending for the people who aren't working.

It's become a hot topic because Obama must be attacked on some front every single day, and with the UE rate way down, that got a lot harder.

Man, what can we do about this? If only there were a demographic of people out there who breed like crazy, don't mind hard work for a decent wage, and are only being held back by archaic racist laws......

ohhhhhhhhhh
To be fair you can do a lot for the minorities that are out of the workforce. Obamaphone is a great program. We also need to make public transportation more accessible for these neighborhoods. Internet wifi must be a free utility. Give free laptops. Create job centers that align people with jobs or education. Obama has done a lot, but he needs to do more.

Crisco

Banned
To be fair you can do a lot for the minorities that are out of the workforce. Obamaphone is a great program. We also need to make public transportation more accessible for these neighborhoods. Internet wifi must be a free utility. Give free laptops. Create job centers that align people with jobs or education. Obama has done a lot, but he needs to do more.

I was mostly referring to the millions of illegals out there who are either afraid to look for work or are being paid under the table because of their status. Or potential immigrants from latino american countries who would be happy to come and work here if the legal immigration system wasn't so fucked.

gcubed

So after this morning's jobs numbers and the consistent global weakness recently, it looks like the Fed may put off rate hikes yet again the next time they meet to decide. That's good news for Democrats, but I'm very glad the election is 13 months away instead of this year, because the global economy is definitely soft right now and this weakness is beginning to impact America. Democrats are going to need next November to be a bullish quarter to have a good election.

If they don't do it this year, i highly doubt it will be done until Dec 2016

gcubed

i just dont see how Jeb can slowly recover from such terrible numbers with what i assume is very little crossover with anti-establishment candidates.

Hillary will be able to run on her SoS experience. Rubio has been on a committee for a few years, and he's too much of a warhawk. Hillary takes him on foreign policy easily.

He isn't that great a speaker. He consistently comes off strained, like a little boy trying not to break down crying. He's awkward.

The GOP has destroyed that. She has the iran deal which isn't popular, russian reset which doesn't seem to be working, the middle east in turmoil. I'm sure she'll point to a lot of the good work she did but lets not pretend Rubio doesn't get a lot of leeway from the press in debates about this.

None of her accomplishments at state are popular right now. plus she has the email thing.

I don't take your criticisms of him as a speaker because it comes accross as wanting to dislike him rather than a critique of substance.

And where has it been proven he doesn't have hispanic appeal? I don't think he's gonna shift anyone majorly but he can, with dems losing control over certain things be not seen as a trump. And someone who isn't going to deport them and someone who their concern over isis, the economy, etc, might trump (no pun intended). The dems need to keep their amazing numbers with minorities. The GOP only needs likes a 5 or 7 percent shift and probably less in the states that matter.

Cheebo

Banned
Not buying the Rubio hype. Guys he's tied with Carly Fiorina.

He is the leading establishment candidate in basically every poll since the second debate. Including this one. It all comes down to do you believe the outsiders will fall apart in the end? If you do then all signs point to Rubio being the nominee.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
He is the leading establishment candidate in basically every poll since the second debate. Including this one. It all comes down to do you believe the outsiders will fall apart in the end? If you do then all signs point to Rubio being the nominee.

That's what we said about Jeb 2 months ago. Rubio's just now starting to come into the spotlight, we'll see how he'll stand up to extended scrutiny.

Iolo

What I hear you saying is that Rubio has managed to hit fourth place in national polling for the last two weeks, and this guarantees him the nomination.

I think we should wait and see many people get excited and make crazy claims sometimes.

Rubio's position right now is similar to other candidates like Scott Walker and now Jeb Bush.

Lastly, I think the next debate might be important to Jeb Bush like it was to Walker; he might not drop out, but he'll lose donors though if he doesn't do well.

Interestingly, the next debate has a minimum of 3% requirement to be on the main stage. I think a lot of candidates will have to haul ass soon enough. It can get really dangerous for Jeb, Kasich, Huckabee, Christie, Paul if they keep falling.

Jeb! is dead in the water.

I think he's staying in for a while, but his campaign is truly hopeless.

The rank-and-file just doesn't like him - and they can't even muster enough affection to grudgingly accept him the way they did with Romney.

You guys see the Marquette poll showing Clinton with massive leads in Wisconsin?

I don't see the Republican path to 270. I spent some time on 270towin just now coming up with different scenarios. Spotting the Republicans Florida and North Carolina right off the bat, I still couldn't find a realistic R path unless they take both Ohio and Virginia.

You guys see the Marquette poll showing Clinton with massive leads in Wisconsin?

I don't see the Republican path to 270. I spent some time on 270towin just now coming up with different scenarios. Spotting the Republicans Florida and North Carolina right off the bat, I still couldn't find a realistic R path unless they take both Ohio and Virginia.

Rubio/Kasich ticket would win both.

This is probably the most realistic Republican win I can come up with. And it still requires them to take Iowa. As much as I'd like to see that state become ground zero for Emergence Day for giving us Joni Ernst, I still think the D's have the advantage there in a presidential election.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/5nygk

Rubio/Kasich ticket would win both.

I could see Ohio with Kasich on the ticket. What would help them swing Virginia?

Makai

What's the participation rate again...

The economy isn't particularly good right now. Most people feel like things are t going well, and many are stuck in low paying jobs.
The underemployment graph is pretty much identical, just shifted up vertically.

I'm fine with losing my avatar. If it's Cruz, I only ask that it be the tatted up version

I think that if we are all stuck with Cruz, we should be able to pick our choice of source image.

Or, hey, about about losers have to adopt the winner as their avatar? So if Jeb! wins, everybody who backed another candidate are saddled with a Jeb! avatar.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, this. thepotatoman was quite vocal about not having any stipulations.

The only thing I ever said was a suggestion to do OP recognition instead, and praising Neo for setting it up. I stayed out of it otherwise.

I do think it's better not to do an avatar bet, but it's neo's doing all the work to set it all up, so he can do what he wants with it. It seems he'd rather have more people take part than to have everyone drop out who doesn't like the avatar bet.

HylianTom

Banned

If it's the poll I'm thinking of.. if she's winning Wisconsin by those kinds of ridiculous margins, we'll likely know she's won by the time the eastern seaboard's polls have closed.

Being very generous to the GOP, I think this is their best starting map. They still need 3 of the 4 remaining states to win.

http://www.270towin.com/maps/qAWwW

I do wonder if Rubio would pick based on the math. I mean, there were better picks for McCain and Romney in 2012 - picks that PoliGAF pointed-out at length, picks that should've been obvious - but they for whatever reasons decided to go elsewhere.

----

Picks due tonight? Fuck it - sticking with Trump!

Wilsongt

One month fo bad growth?

Economy in the shitter.

Obama a horrible president.

The unemployed and homeless are flooding the streets due to the lack of jobs.

Obama destroying our economy.

Vote Jeb/Rubio 2016 and we'll get growth to 20%! A job for everyone! No taxes! Infinite revenue!

You seriously think Clinton can run on foreign policy? Her SoS tenure was largely a mirage, and since then the world has fallen apart. Republicans have the advantage on foreign policy.

Rubio can attempt to make her a candidate of a past era but he'd need outside help, specifically more international turmoil and an economic downturn. Russia's actions in Syria and today's weak jobs report suggest that this could come to fruition.

We wouldn't be in this situation if not for the complete dismantling of the democrat party under Obama. Hillary is a weak candidate who could clearly be beaten by a talented governor. But that candidate doesn't exist, nor is the "bench" adequate after 7-8 years of democrats taking losses with no accomplishments to take to voters.

Put me down for el Trumpo. #iwannabelieve

And yeah, republicans have most likely poisoned the well on hill's FoPo with benghazi as far as undecided voters are concerned. The narrative that she is shit at it has been in place for years, and i can't see democrats being able to push that back to conquer the middle now.

We should just have a mod give the winners awesome tags.

Hey, Member is an awesome tag ... .. . right ... .. .

I have until 11PM to decide if I stick with trump or run with my establishment Rubio. Maybe I'll have a vision or something after those Al Pastor tacos I just had for lunch.

HylianTom

Banned
‏
A tweet from @RyanLizza said:
In Greenville, South Carolina, Jeb Bush, arguing against calls for gun control after major tragedy, says, "stuff happens."

Wow.

And apparently Jason Chaffetz might be jumping in to the House Speaker race. Whee!

‏

Wow.

And apparently Jason Chaffetz might be jumping in to the House Speaker race. Whee!

As a Utah voter, I have to say that Chaffetz is a total disgrace and lunatic.

And like I said right when we originally did this guessing contesting, there was no way Rubio was ever going to lose to people as stupid as Scott Walker and Jeb!. And Jeb! is actually dumber than Scott Walker (as today's comment also shows).

Bowdz

‏

Wow.

Yeah, after hearing that comment, you can change my guess to Rubio Neo. I would love it to be Bush though. The man has a worse case of foot-in-mouth disease than even Romney had. I'd feel so much better in the general against Bush.

NeoXChaos

As a Utah voter, I have to say that Chaffetz is a total disgrace and lunatic.

And like I said right when we originally did this guessing contesting, there was no way Rubio was ever going to lose to people as stupid as Scott Walker and Jeb!. And Jeb! is actually dumber than Scott Walker (as today's comment also shows).

nvm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom