• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. The whole "we'll train and arm them" strategy is so fucking bad, I have absolutely no clue how it even got approved. The idiots, including Obama, who orchestrated this strategy were living in the 1960s. They planned on training 4000 rebels. Instead they only trained 53, half of which ran away at the first sight of the enemy and the other half gave away all the US gear to Nusra front in return for safe passage. What the hell were they expecting?

Sounds like some type of half assed compromise.

Regardless you're right - if foreign policy was a multiple choice test, "let's train/arm the rebels" would be a wrong answer every fucking time. It's blood money, nothing more.

noshten

Indeed. The whole "we'll train and arm them" strategy is so fucking bad, I have absolutely no clue how it even got approved. The idiots, including Obama, who orchestrated this strategy were living in the 1960s. They planned on training 4000 rebels. Instead they only trained 53, half of which ran away at the first sight of the enemy and the other half gave away all the US gear to Nusra front in return for safe passage. What the hell were they expecting?

God knows what they expected. That's the thing, Military leadership has proven to be very ineffectual when enacting long term plans and solutions on the ground. If all the military spending was allocated to actually long term planning about what happens after you've entered a conflict these type of situations would not occur. Than again I doubt the public would be very happy about the government investing trillions into rebuilding nations. It's a tricky slope - you either invest meaningful amounts to build infrastructure, train and teach a new governing class, provide on going assistance until the economy is able to rebuild - chaos would always take over. There is always a power vacuum, in such situations. It's understandable on one hand because those "free" people can choose someone who could get cozy with Russia, China or some other geopolitical power and all that investment would be wiped cleaned.
It's very naive to think that you could put in place friendly regimes that would do your bidding. That was a possibility up until the 90's but right now things have changed drastically.

noshten

You mind actually linking that poll? Also, you need to be looking at registered Democrats. Independent voters can't vote in most primaries so their support is useless right now.

Also, most polls do support this.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/12/politics/iowa-poll-clinton-sanders-iowa/

This is an older poll among registered democrats and it follows the same logic - democrats who want an electable candidate choose between Clinton and Biden. While Sanders is mainly doing his own thing

Sounds like some type of half assed compromise.

Regardless you're right - if foreign policy was a multiple choice test, "let's train/arm the rebels" would be a wrong answer every fucking time. It's blood money, nothing more.
Not really. Though its a bad idea in most ethnic wars unless it's a simple breakaway war. I was a bit of a hawk in the beginning of Syria but since probably late last year I've given up all hope.

The only thing we should be doing is helping those who are in the crossfire. And watching Isis so they don't threaten other allies.

God knows what they expected. That's the thing, Military leadership has proven to be very ineffectual when enacting long term plans and solutions on the ground. If all the military spending was allocated to actually long term planning about what happens after you've entered a conflict these type of situations would not occur. Than again I doubt the public would be very happy about the government investing trillions into rebuilding nations. It's a tricky slope - you either invest meaningful amounts to build infrastructure, train and teach a new governing class, provide on going assistance until the economy is able to rebuild - chaos would always take over. There is always a power vacuum, in such situations. It's understandable on one hand because those "free" people can choose someone who could get cozy with Russia, China or some other geopolitical power and all that investment would be wiped cleaned.
It's very naive to think that you could put in place friendly regimes that would do your bidding. That was a possibility up until the 90's but right now things have changed drastically.
Nation building should absolutely be part of the equation. Abandoning a country like Afghanistan after Soviets retreated or Libya recently has taught nothing to US leaders. But more immediate issue of Assad and ISIS needed to be dealt with. Assad has provided virtually limitless recruitment material for Sunni militants and would be militants. We should have taken him out. If Russia and China were blocking us, well, we needed better diplomats. Reminds of US' ineffectual leadership in the face of a Putin like strongman in House of Cards. Thats literally what happened.

If that Security Council really was indeed a dead end and ISIS was an inevitability, why didn't we arm the YPG? The only fucking force in that region with proven success against ISIS, and we are afraid we will piss of Erdogan. You can't walk on eggshells all the time. It's not like Turkey would cut off diplomatic ties with us over it.

noshten

I love how instead of linking the poll you were talking about you went and linked a completely different one from two months ago.

You wanted a poll from registered democrats?

imrs.php

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You wanted a poll from registered democrats?

No, I wanted the poll you were talking about. If you had linked it we could have gone into the crosstabs and seen the numbers for ourselves.

Link the poll you were talking about or stop this.

noshten

No, I wanted the poll you were talking about. If you had linked it we could have gone into the crosstabs and seen the numbers for ourselves.

Link the poll you were talking about or stop this.

You are moving goal posts - while the trend is pretty clear.
Unless you have polls that disapprove my assertion you should stop this.

TPP deal looks like is going to be reached. I don't think it'll effect the elections that much though.

It would have worked out great because it'll give the administration full control over them and could influence other groups. But it was stupid on how they did it.

The administration instead is going to fund Kurdish and Arab fighters, and might train recruits and put them with the Kurds.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...6460919_story.html?postshare=8251443913230381

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You are moving goal posts - while the trend is pretty clear.
Unless you have polls that disapprove my assertion you should stop this.

I'm moving the goal posts?!

All I want is for you to link the poll you referenced! I asked you to link it and you refuse! You fucking quoted from the article associated with it! Is throwing a link in so fucking hard?

You know what, fuck this. Congratulations, you are the second poster to ever make my ignore list. I don't have time for your games.

noshten

Nation building should absolutely be part of the equation. Abandoning a country like Afghanistan after Soviets retreated or Libya recently has taught nothing to US leaders. But more immediate issue of Assad and ISIS needed to be dealt with. Assad has provided virtually limitless recruitment material for Sunni militants and would be militants. We should have taken him out. If Russia and China were blocking us, well, we needed better diplomats. Reminds of US' ineffectual leadership in the face of a Putin like strongman in House of Cards. Thats literally what happened.

If that Security Council really was indeed a dead end and ISIS was an inevitability, why didn't we arm the YPG? The only fucking force in that region with proven success against ISIS, and we are afraid we will piss of Erdogan. You can't walk on eggshells all the time. It's not like Turkey would cut off diplomatic ties with us over it.

There was no way for the US to enact a no fly zone over Syria without China, China is perfectly fine with the ongoing tension between the US and Russia since they trade with both nations. I'd be surprised if China wasn't aware of Putin's plans for Syria in advance. All the previous conflicts and the results of those conflicts have placed a stain on the US foreign policy and removed any leverage the US might have had - if Lybia, Iraq and Afghanistan had miraculously not fallen into complete chaos.

The problem is that Turkey has 24 Nato bases, you either play ball with Erdogan or he could very much choose a different ally. Like you said walking on eggshells either way the risk of making Erdogan more uncooperative is a major concern regarding any sort of policy in the middle east. Hence the Kurds were never given much in terms of support both in Iraq or Syria.

All I want is for you to link the poll you referenced! I asked you to link it and you refuse! You fucking quoted from the article associated with it! Is throwing a link in so fucking hard?

You know what, fuck this. Congratulations, you are the second poster to ever make my ignore list. I don't have time for your games.

You take this way too seriously, you wanted a poll of registered democrats and the two I had spoken about didn't qualify - thus I even went through the trouble to find you a nice graph and polls that support my notion. So you could look at and come to the same conclusion as me and after all that trouble all I get in return is being ignored.

I'm going to be honest, barring harassment, I don't get the ignore feature. It seems like a precursor to bigotry to me.

I don't think there's anything any poster could do to elicit such a strong reaction from me. I just don't understand it.

Makai

I'm going to be honest, barring harassment, I don't get the ignore feature. It seems like a precursor to bigotry to me.

I don't think there's anything any poster could do to elicit such a strong reaction from me. I just don't understand it.
It's gotta make threads more confusing.

NeoXChaos

O.O

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
TPP deal looks like is going to be reached. I don't think it'll effect the elections that much though.

It would have worked out great because it'll give the administration full control over them and could influence other groups. But it was stupid on how they did it.

The administration instead is going to fund Kurdish and Arab fighters, and might train recruits and put them with the Kurds.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...6460919_story.html?postshare=8251443913230381

They'll still have to do an up/down vote on it.

Maybe trump can rally enough republicans against it to block it.

Theres not a single poll showing Biden taking more from Sanders than from Clinton. Pollsters agree that Biden running would be "benefit" (as in not hurt him as much as it would hurt Clinton) Sanders. Staph.

And the Sanders surge has been over like 3 times already. I would wait a week more to see if the next patch of polls confirm a downward trend.

FiggyCal

Banned

Batman pls.

Black Mirror does a pretty good job of showing what it would be like to have the ignore feature in real life. The outlook is... not so good.

What episode?

Wait.

what?!

Man, that is one sweet racket.

BRB moving to Nevada to run for the state legislature.

The rural reps must spend most of their time in the copper mines to afford the rent of their tin shacks.

they obviously have other jobs.

$152/per day.

This is insane.

And we only recently legalized Special Sessions too, lol.

Aren't there quite a few every-other-year state legislatures?

I'm pretty sure Alaska's legislature only meets every other year.

EDIT: Wrong. Apparently they meet 90 days every year.

ivysaur12

Banned
Aren't there quite a few every-other-year state legislatures?

I'm pretty sure Alaska's legislature only meets every other year.

EDIT: Wrong. Apparently they meet 90 days every year.

Only four.

Today, 46 state legislatures meet annually. The remaining four states—Montana, Nevada, North Dakota and Texas—hold session every other year. All of the biennial legislatures hold their regular sessions in the odd year.

Theres not a single poll showing Biden taking more from Sanders than from Clinton. Pollsters agree that Biden running would be "benefit" (as in not hurt him as much as it would hurt Clinton) Sanders. Staph.

And the Sanders surge has been over like 3 times already. I would wait a week more to see if the next patch of polls confirm a downward trend.

It hurts Clinton more because Clinton has more support to lose. Biden is more competitive in more states than Sanders and would EASILY take 2nd place in national polling when he becomes official. Truth hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom