• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should really spend some time getting familiar with the Canadian Political System and its happenings. I live in a border state and yet I know more about British politics than Canadian.

Republican results from the CNN/ORC poll posted earlier have Trump at 27 and Carson at 22.

Jeb! and Rubio at 8%.

Fiorina's brief stint near the top is seemingly over. She's down to 4% losing 11 points since last CNN/ORC poll.

Dem results from the NBC/WSJ poll has Clinton up 7 from their last poll at 49.
Sanders is down 6 at 29% and Diamond Joe is at 15%.

38% don't want Biden to run, 30% do.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Surely Canada heralds the coming of a new liberal era

Also it took fiorina roughly 20 seconds in the spotlight for everyone to think she was untrustworthy. Lol.

Republican results from the CNN/ORC poll posted earlier have Trump at 27 and Carson at 22.

Jeb! and Rubio at 8%.

Fiorina's brief stint near the top is seemingly over. She's down to 4% losing 11 points since last CNN/ORC poll.

Dem results from the NBC/WSJ poll has Clinton up 7 from their last poll at 49.
Sanders is down 6 at 29% and Diamond Joe is at 15%.

38% don't want Biden to run, 30% do.
that Fiorina drop is pretty amazing. i guess once people googled her CEO background they pretty much jumped out the window saying NOPE

HylianTom

Banned
Every poll that comes out showing Rubio and Bush staying low and close makes me feel all warm & fuzzy. Even if they perfectly combined support, the winner of their two-man bracket isn't doing so hot, and neither one has a sufficient case to point at the other and say, "drop out, please - for the good of the party! We can't divide votes!"

Tick-tock..

Maybe the original plan was for Rubio to join the Jeb! ticket. (That their both from Florida might be a complication I guess).

But that was before the summer of Trump, and Jeb! being a pretty awful campaigner. And now Rubio thinks it could be him.

His completely not coordinated with him SuperPAC has a crapton of money, so maybe a Right to Rise paid for Deathstar can bring it back for him.

ElsaStaircaseBuild.gif

Biden is announcing in two days though to send her back down the stairs.

Welp. This could get messy:

.@VP: Going to Hill a good use of my time. "I don’t think my chief enemy is the Republican Party. This is a matter of making things work."

.@VP: "I actually like Dick Cheney for real. I get on with him. I think he's a decent man."

.@VP: "We’ve had two great secretaries of state. But when I go [overseas] they know I am speaking for the president."

Biden now telling Osama raid story, which contradicts Clinton's version of the raid. He says she was not 100% yes. Only Panetta was, he says

Biden says was neither in the go or don't-go camp on Bin Laden in front of other advisers to give Obama space; privately he advised, "Go."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/20/webb-to-drop-out-democratic-2016-race/

Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb will announce Tuesday that he is dropping out of the Democratic presidential race, Fox News has learned.

Webb is said to be disillusioned with the Democratic Party -- as well as the Republican Party -- and how the political parties are being pulled to allegedly extreme positions by the huge amounts of loosely regulated money fueling the campaigns.

Webb has a press conference scheduled for 1 p.m. ET.

While Webb is thought to be weighing a possible independent bid, he is not expected to launch an independent campaign for president Tuesday. Rather, he's expected to take some time after his announcement to talk with people from across the political spectrum before making a decision.

Webb is dropping out and thinking about a possible Indy bid(he won't do it).

noshten

He bounced back in NH after one favorable poll for Clinton. The main thing for Bernie is trying to gain favor with those 30% that said a month ago they didn't know who he was. Also he needs to keep chugging away in Iowa and NH and build up organizational muscle in other states.

teiresias

These new polls showing plunging Sanders deserve a new OT thread. I really want to hear more about how Sanders supporters support Biden!

I'm sure ErasureAcer will stop by shortly to unskew these polls for everyone.

To be fair, these polls only counted people that were mostly or partly alive.

Fuchsdh

He was an okay Senator but never Presidential material.

He's not wrong about the polarization, although as president he really wouldn't be able to do much about it anyhow. If he wants elected office he should go back to state politics or the legislative branch where his talents will be better put to use.

Drakeon

He's not wrong about the polarization, although as president he really wouldn't be able to do much about it anyhow. If he wants elected office he should go back to state politics or the legislative branch where his talents will be better put to use.

Here's how to fix polarization: Shut down Fox News. Not sure how you legally do that, but that'd be a great start.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Biden what are you doing. Ugh. She is going to destroy you.

Yeah, no thanks Biden. You lost me before it even began.

And I think saying Cheney is a decent guy makes me question your character.

This has all been a long time coming. He wants to run to Hillary's right?

He's going to get destroyed by the left and it'll be based on a lot of pent-up aggression which has never really been released since 2000, only made worse by Obama never really holding the GWB/Cheney admin accountable for war crimes and the 1% accountable for economic crimes.

Holy, holy, holy shit Biden what are you doing. You gonna grab disaffected reds in southern states? That's your plan?

HylianTom

Banned
I adore you, Uncle Joe, and thank you for your service, and you're still my second pick, but after this past decade.. NO.

I appreciate the idea of Obama having to be the grown-up in the room, and that he couldn't risk giving fodder for the whole "angry black man" thing, but at this point I'd like to see my political leaders treat some of the stooges on the right with an appropriate level of contempt and/or ridicule.

In fact, my favorite debate performance of all time had a healthy dose of just that.
shrug.gif

We know you have it in you, Uncle Joe. You're at your best when you're honest on this; saying nice things about Cheney just rings hollow.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm really shocked Biden is taking that route. Bizarre.

He's already making shit up:
Biden says was neither in the go or don't-go camp on Bin Laden in front of other advisers to give Obama space; privately he advised, "Go."
https://twitter.com/margarettalev/status/656468738770927616

Back in 2012:
The president then turned to Mr. Biden. “He said, ‘Joe, what do you think?’ And I said, ‘You know, I didn’t know we had so many economists around the table.’ I said, ‘We owe the man a direct answer. Mr. President, my suggestion is, don’t go. We have to do two more things to see if he’s there.’ ”
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/30/from-biden-a-vivid-account-of-bin-laden-decision/

On video if Hillary wants to run some attack adds on his discrepancies:
http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4555822/biden-bin-laden-raid

Biden may be a likeable guy but there's a reason he's flamed out every time he's run.

Looking at those tweets. Biden says he had a veto on cabinet selection, read: Clinton; contradicting her bin Laden account and now saying he was for go in private; I haven't made Republicans my enemy; the comment about Sec States vs him in overseas travel (I wonder how Kerry's going to take that as well?).

This is ostensibly a comment about Obama:
"It's hard to serve in this office if you don't genuinely, genuinely respect the judgment and character of the president."

But given the string of other points also reads like a dig at Clinton.

That he's basically publicly undermining her seems pretty much confirmation of his decision.

How can anyone be friends with Republicans when they don't even like EACH OTHER?

if anyone is being honest with themselves, the only way to heal the divide in this country is to reach out to each other, not double down on hatred. Blah blah republicans suck I know but in politics in this country you can't go it alone. I agree with and support what Biden said.
Btw corey read the last page if you haven't

teiresias

OK, this Biden stuff makes a better thread than the polls.

if anyone is being honest with themselves, the only way to heal the divide in this country is to reach out to each other, not double down on hatred. Blah blah republicans suck I know but in politics in this country you can't go it alone. I agree with and support what Biden said.
Btw corey read the last page if you haven't

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, but so long as the GOP remains beholden to their far-right flank, that expressly forbids compromise or working with dems of any stripe, then the Democrats have no choice and no one to work with. If the moderates in the party would grow spine, stop worrying about primaries, and actually get stuff done, then there would be action to be taken, but at this point, there is no one to work with on that side of the aisle.

Ranked-choice voting could be headed for ballot in Maine.

Maine could become the first state to swap its traditional election system for one in which the winning candidates for Congress and state offices are selected by ranked-choice voting.

On Monday, the Committee for Ranked Choice Voting, a state organization backed by national advocates, will submit signed petitions to the Secretary of State’s Office seeking to put the proposal on the November 2016 ballot. If the petition signatures are certified, the measure would appear alongside several other questions on legalizing marijuana, raising the minimum wage and a Maine Republican Party-led initiative to overhaul the state’s welfare system and reduce the income tax.

Ranked-choice voting is designed to ensure that the winning candidate receives a majority vote. Advocates say it also ensures that candidates appeal to a cross-section of voters, not just the narrow, active constituencies that often decide party primary contests.

“No longer can you win by turning out a certain excited group of people within your party, but you really have to reach out to moderates, conservatives and progressives within your own party,” said Kyle Bailey, the campaign manager for The Committee for Ranked Choice Voting. “I think that will make a very powerful impact in improving our politics.”

This would help Democrats immensely in Maine given the political climate there.

Fuchsdh

Here's how to fix polarization: Shut down Fox News. Not sure how you legally do that, but that'd be a great start.

We'll just get rid of freedom of the press! That'll show those paranoid Fox News watchers they were wrong, for sure...

And even if Fox News disappeared tomorrow, polarization wouldn't disappear. It might be emblematic of the problem, but it's not the sole or even major contributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom