• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel B·;183221219 said:
Even if so, Bernie's also having some good press coverage with the Jake Tapper, CNN and Charlie Rose interviews, not to mention his warm reception on The View.

I'm not exactly sure what expression Jake Tapper was going for there (worried or bad burrito, perhaps ;) ), but Bernie was in good spirits.

EDIT: I see that article was back in April. Perhaps she's #feelingthebern ;).

This is a legit question, and I'm not sure how to pose it without sounding like I'm being rude. So let me preface this by saying I'm not.

What would it take, in your estimation, for Bernie to have a bad week? I mean, from as neutral a perspective as I can muster, this has not been a good two weeks for him. He lost the first debate. His opponent cleared a major hurdle in her campaign and came out appearing far stronger. Polls have moved away from him. The reception to his JJ speech was not good among party activists. He's had a very, very bad polling day (even though I don't believe Hillary is 40 points up in Iowa). Like, I guess my question is, what do you perceive would actually be a bad week for Bernie?

Locally, we've had a really crap week. The mayoral candidate we've been working for (who was already going to lose) is even further behind because there's a third party who decided to run against him as an independent. I have no idea how she's doing, but clearly we're not winning this one. The mayoral debate was....we didn't do well in the debate. It's all good though. Ohio might legalize pot so I can totally chill afterwards. Gotta admit, it's weird seeing Nick Lachey in a political commercial.

Phew, almost wasn't going to tune int.
I chose to interpret your intent as genuine
lR5aTaB.gif

Good tweet I stole that I will now post: The party that is aghast at participation trophies for children is having a two hour long television program dedicated to the 11th-14th highest polling candidates in the race.

It's weird the amount of people that post in threads defending the most horrible actions in the name of free speech when minorities are being shit on, but those same people don't seem to post as much in threads about minorities being oppressed and censored by the state.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The picture under your username

Oh shit, haha. So there is one!

Sorry, was little confused because I normally don't have an avatar. But back when Iwata passed away I thought I'd honor his memory by uploading one. The problem, though, was that every time I tried to upload it, it gave me some weird error message. Eventually I got frustrated and said "fuck dis shit" and went about my way.

I guess at some point it must have gotten through somehow. I didn't even know it was displaying until you mentioned it, heh.

edit: Damn, so that means I had this avatar on for 4 months without realizing it. :O

Rubio is a lot of things, charismatic is not one of those

He's awesome when he's speaking to a small crowd and sticks to script--once you ask him a question he's not planning on hearing he crumbles.

even though I don't believe Hillary is 40 points up in Iowa

I like that they polled only using landline phones and 76% of the people polled were over 50 (in 2008 the Caucus was only 60% people over 50) for the Monmouth one. Then there's the Loras one where they managed to find a demographic that included 10% of it being Conservative Democrats, not to mention 43% of the Democrats polled by them identified as Evangelical or Born-Again.

Oh shit, haha. So there is one!

Sorry, was little confused because I normally don't have an avatar. But back when Iwata passed away I thought I'd honor his memory by uploading one. The problem, though, was that every time I tried to upload it, it gave me some weird error message. Eventually I got frustrated and said "fuck dis shit" and went about my way.

I guess at some point it must have gotten through somehow. I didn't even know it was displaying until you mentioned it, heh.

edit: Damn, so that means I had this avatar on for 4 months without realizing it. :O

How the fuck is that even possible?!! Seriously, even if you're using the mobile version of GAF, the avatars still show up.

I post on GAF almost exclusively from my Nexus 6 and there's no way that I can't notice my own avatar. Furthermore, YOUR avatar is even more noticeable than mine, due to it being a picture of a great figure in the gaming industry who recently passed away. Like, you're blowing my mind right now!

EDIT: Is there a way to turn avatars off? If so, that could explain it.

Oblivion

Now when you get rid of it it will be like he's gone forever
Maybe you should keep it

Yeah, maybe I will. For Iwata. :(

Obvlion must be on mobile gaf.

How the fuck is that even possible?!! Seriously, even if you're using the mobile version of GAF, the avatars still show up.

I post on GAF almost exclusively from my Nexus 6 and there's no way that I can't notice my own avatar. Furthermore, YOUR avatar is even more noticeable than mine, due to it being a picture of a great figure in the gaming industry who recently passed away. Like, you're blowing my mind right now!

EDIT: Is there a way to turn avatars off? If so, that could explain it.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I have avatars disabled. I did so cause of my old job, but now that I'm not working anymore, I can enable them again!

edit: Wow, so this is what you all look like eh? :O

Times' article on the Sanders camp's shift in strategy.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/u...personal-attacks-and-political-critiques.html
According to Sanders campaign advisers, Mr. Sanders and his political strategists decided together that he would start criticizing Mrs. Clinton by name and making detailed contrasts between his record and hers — two tactics he rarely employed until recently.

Mr. Sanders wanted to fight back against what he saw as the first negative attack of the campaign, when Mrs. Clinton twisted his remark about people “shouting” in support of tougher gun laws.

Tad Devine, a senior adviser to Mr. Sanders, warned of more to come if Mrs. Clinton’s campaign “keeps taking Senator Sanders’s words and positions out of context.”

“If they start going further down that negative road, I think we’re going to start looking at whether or not she can really tell the big banks to reform when so much of her money comes from Wall Street,” Mr. Devine said. “That would be Step 1. Step 2 would be: You go to Goldman Sachs and give a speech for an hour and get $200,000 — and you are going to be able to stand up to the banks?”

Mr. Devine scoffed at the notion that Mr. Sanders was having growing pains, noting that Mr. Sanders had run tough campaigns before.

He said the campaign was taking the necessary steps to compete against a tough opponent, including conducting polling to test Mrs. Clinton’s vulnerabilities.

He declined to go into details, but other operatives said the polling dealt with Mrs. Clinton’s shifting positions on issues and ties to wealthy and corporate interests.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Because I don't think the attacks he's making are really salient enough to Clinton's support base to peel off voters. The one that could harm her most is probably the change in stance on the TPP with the unionised labour vote.
Whereas gun violence is probably an issue at the forefront for black Democrats, and his answer to that probably isn't satisfactory, and could also serve to undermine the idea that he doesn't do anything for political expediency.

(On an aside, Devine really doesn't come across well in these pieces, personally.)

danm999

Why would Devine think Clinton needs to be kept in line regarding negativity towards Bernie at this point?

She's had a good few weeks and increased her lead over him. Her campaign going negative on him doesn't really make much sense at the moment to me.

I've been watching a lot of Hillary's stumping on her website and on YouTube and whatever. Man, she's way, way more comfortable at this than she was in 2007. I'm not sure if its confidence or what, but she's waaaay more engaging than she was. I'm really impressed. I've never considered her a natural campaigner like Bill. She's more of a policy wonk, but I'll be damned if she doesn't look a lot better this time around.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Because I don't think the attacks he's making are really salient enough to Clinton's support base to peel off voters. The one that could harm her most is probably the change in stance on the TPP with the unionised labour vote.
Whereas gun violence is probably an issue at the forefront for black Democrats, and his answer to that probably isn't satisfactory, and could also serve to undermine the idea that he doesn't do anything for political expediency.

(On an aside, Devine really doesn't come across well in these pieces, personally.)

I don't get some of Sander's current lines attack on things like DOMA and DADT. As a gay man (who is speaking only for myself), I really don't care what Hillary's position was on DOMA 20 years ago. I understand the rationale for passing it, and I do think that it was the best of a bad situation. A national marriage amendment would have been far, far worse. I also don't care if Bernie was first on marriage, because some of his comments from 2006 show he was for civil unions over marriage anyway. To quote Hillary "What difference does it make?" Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I remember the 90s, even though I was little. Plus, does this really matter to most democrats? I mean, the battle over marriage is over. It's the other stuff we have to worry about now, and Hillary's been amazing at talking about workplace protections for LGBT Americans.

These lines of attack seem more about arguing over ideological purity. They seem to be things that matter more to Bernie's supporters than to Hillary's. As to the African American vote, I have no idea where he goes from here. Sanders can say #BlackLivesMatter, and all Clinton has to come back with is "They didn't matter enough for you to try and prevent guns from flooding the streets with the Brady Bill." He has no ground in the gun debate in the primary, none at all. As for TPP, I don't think it really matters outside those of us who follow politics closely.

Sanders can't go after her for women's issues. Not because she's a woman, but because her history on women and children have been stellar. He can go after her for policies put in place by Bill, and then be painted as trying to say she's nothing more than her husband in a lime green pant suit. Go after her for battles that are mostly over? There's not much daylight between them when it comes to foreign policy.* (From what I can tell.)

I guess his best chance would be to go after Wall Street, and hope that he can make the Occupy Wall Street movement relevant again in national politics

I was also shocked when Sanders hired Devine. Dude would not have been my first choice, but most of the great ones got taken by Hillary early.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hillary, without hesitation, says on Colbert that she would let the banks fail and would split them up if they're "too big to fail". Fucking corportist sh(r)ill neocon.

Mr. Devine scoffed at the notion that Mr. Sanders was having growing pains, noting that Mr. Sanders had run tough campaigns before.

House, 1990:

Bernie: 56%
Republican: 39.5%

House, 1992:

Bernie: 57.8%
Republican: 30.9%

House, 1994:

Bernie: 49.9%
Republican: 46.6%

House, 1996:

Bernie: 55.2%
Republican: 32.6%

House, 1998:

Bernie: 63.4%
Republican: 32.9%

House, 2000:

Bernie: 69.2%
Republican: 18.3%

House, 2002:

Bernie: 64.3%
Republican: 32.3%

House, 2004:

Bernie: 67.5%
Republican: 24.4%

Senate, 2006:

Bernie: 65.4%
Republican: 32.4%

Senate, 2012:

Bernie: 71.1%
Republican: 24.9%

He's had one close election in the Republican Revolution, and still won by 3.3%.

DOWN

Banned
There it is again. On this very page, someone alleging Rubio is a good speaker. I think he's dreadfully obvious when he goes into monologue mode. Vocabulary is fine and even good, but no way does he sound as natural as his peers, Hillary, or even Trump.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hillary, without hesitation, says on Colbert that she would let the banks fail and would split them up if they're "too big to fail". Fucking corportist sh(r)ill neocon.

Saying she'd just let them fail is a lie on the same level of Obama voting against raising the debt limit.

I do hope she's serious about splitting them up though.

ivysaur12

Banned
Saying she'd just let them fail is a lie on the same level of Obama voting against raising the debt limit.

I do hope she's serious about splitting them up though.

Her response was interesting -- it was Let Them Fail! as populist meat, but then when push came to shove, she said that if Too Big To Fail actually exists, then splitting them up is a solution. Here, let me try to find the clip.

EDIT: It's in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_9ThARis10

I get why she said it, but I still don't get the obsession with splitting up banks within the Democrat base. There's never any substantive elaboration of how one would go about this, and it perpetuates the idea that "traditional" banks are inherently safe, when they aren't.

Oblivion

I get why she said it, but I still don't get the obsession with splitting up banks within the Democrat base. There's never any substantive elaboration of how one would go about this, and it perpetuates the idea that "traditional" banks are inherently safe, when they aren't.

Isn't the point that one relatively midsized bank failing wouldn't have the same negative chain reaction that would come from a supersized bank failing?

East Lake

Isn't the point that one relatively midsized bank failing wouldn't have the same negative chain reaction that would come from a supersized bank failing?
Not an expert but I think you'd still be in danger from what Richard Koo would call a 95% problem. Where after asset prices collapse nearly all the banks are insolvent because what under normal conditions are safe, careful investments no longer are.

DOWN

Banned
Shoutout to Hillary's online store for their American made professional attire

Which one do you think Hillary wears at home?

TCIql7S.jpg

lgnnUxM.jpg

bOxnRid.jpg

How the hell did that happen? Both RCP and Pollster have her behind Bush, Rubio, and Cruz.

Optics, and the fact that she's a damn good debater, despite her lies and inaccuracies. Remember, perception is everything, and I believe that witch is gonna have another stellar performance.

I don't think polls had much to do with that configuration, if at all.

I have the Yaaaas Hillary shirt. I want to order another one, but I've just been donating money instead. Since I got laid off, I'll have to cut down on both ridiculous political tees and monthly contributions.

Stop trying to make Fiorina happen, it's not going to happen.
There are benefits to bigness, and really larger is not inherently a cause for financial instability anymore than smaller would result increased stability.

Problems arose due to the lack of oversight, not size.

Stop trying to make Fiorina happen, it's not going to happen.
There are benefits to bigness, and really larger is not inherently a cause for financial instability anymore than smaller would result increased stability.

Problems arose due to the lack of oversight, not size.

You're right, but I don't think anyone here can say with a straight face that she isn't going to have a commanding presence on that stage. Trump vs Fiorina is what's going to make up 90% of the tension in the debate, tossing in a side of Carson and Rubio for good measure.

You're right, but I don't think anyone here can say with a straight face that she isn't going to have a commanding presence on that stage. Trump vs Fiorina is what's going to make up 90% of the tension in the debate, tossing in a side of Carson and Rubio for good measure.

As much as people probably want to avoid it, she was probably placed there to give the perception of increased diversity within the Republican party. Similar to how Carson got way more coverage when he announced than he probably deserved, the GOP still has a real problem attracting non-White Male voters, and putting any of their candidates that could draw in Women or Minorities center stage is definitely beneficial to them.

As much as people probably want to avoid it, she was probably placed there to give the perception of increased diversity within the Republican party. Similar to how Carson got way more coverage when he announced than he probably deserved, the GOP still has a real problem attracting non-White Male voters, and putting any of their candidates that could draw in Women or Minorities center stage is definitely beneficial to them.

Definitely. There's a lot of a reasons to put her near the center and I can't blame the GOP for trying their best to work with what they have.

Definitely. There's a lot of a reasons to put her near the center and I can't blame the GOP for trying their best to work with what they have.

I expect her to stick around until Iowa and NH are done, then she'll probably drop out and either get another job as CEO somewhere (possibly a Defense Contractor or something like that) or release a book around November. I think Carson being the leading "Wildcard" draws a lot of votes away from Fiorina, so she has no chance of cracking 10% again.

I expect her to stick around until Iowa and NH are done, then she'll probably drop out and either get another job as CEO somewhere (possibly a Defense Contractor or something like that) or release a book around November. I think Carson being the leading "Wildcard" draws a lot of votes away from Fiorina, so she has no chance of cracking 10% again.

I don't expect Fiorina to do particularly well in the primaries at all. Her debate performances, however, will definitely be the highlights of her political career (as sad as that is).

On the left: Donald Trump’s greenroom; on the right: Rand Paul’s.
The drama began Tuesday afternoon as RNC officials led campaigns on a walk-through of the debate site. After touring the stage, candidates got a peek at what their greenrooms looked like.

Trump was granted a spacious room, complete with plush chairs and a flat-screen TV. Marco Rubio got a theater-type room, packed with leather seats for him and his team of aides. Carly Fiorina’s room had a Jacuzzi.

Then there was Chris Christie, whose small space was dominated by a toilet. So was Rand Paul’s.
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...ooms-at-third-gop-debate-215226#ixzz3prHbwwrg
lol.

User 406

Banned
Come the fuck on, even massive upscale hotels don't have enough specialized rooms to handle that many candidates and their separate entourages equally. You want a nicer room, get some nicer poll numbers. They're not going to build an entirely new wing just to house your vanity campaigning ass for an hour or two.

Shit, with as many candidates as they've got, they should just have some gymnasium with notebook paper signs with the candidates' names in sharpie ink placed on the wall at intervals to mark their areas.

danm999

During a tense 30-minute meeting at the Coors Event Center, which was described by three sources present, several lower-polling campaigns lashed out at the RNC. They accused the committee of allotting them less-than-hospitable greenroom spaces while unfairly giving lavish ones to higher-polling candidates, such as Donald Trump and Ben Carson.

There's a joke in here somewhere about how this green room fight is a microcosm for the sort of economic inequality in the USA the party pretty unanimously rejects and refuses to do anything about.

Compared to Hillary in a one on one debate I think he'd be more charismatic...

I agree, though that comparison doesn't say much about either candidate. There's a difference between 'charismatic' and 'presidential', but sometimes people conflate the two.

I'd say Hillary is the most presidential of all the candidates in either party, with Trump being the most charismatic of all the candidates in either party. Rubio doesn't even deserve a seat at the table, sorry.

HylianTom

Banned
I have a hunch that Hillary would have the upper hand over Rubio, especially if their debates are formatted to where they can get deep into the weeds in policy. If she can get him flustered - maybe get him to where he's doing a bit of that nasally-snively-flustered voice* that he does when he gets annoyed/perturbed.. it won't be a good look for him, and she'll benefit from the contrast.

(*you know the voice. It's like Joe Besser's Stinky character when he's screaming "I'll haaaaarrrrrrm you!" We'll all be perfecting our Rubio impersonations should he win the nomination.)

NeoXChaos

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-brain-trust-says-he-can-beat-hillary-clinton

Weaver was at least half-joking, or so it seemed to me. But even in jest, his comments were telling: about both the darkening assessment of Clinton among Sanders's people and their heady confidence that they can beat her. Though Sanders's top advisers concede that the past two weeks—from the first debate to Joe Biden's decision not to run to the Benghazi hearing—have provided Clinton with a boost, they contend that the fundamentals of the race remain unchanged. That Clinton is still a markedly weak candidate, far less in tune with the Democratic nominating electorate than Sanders. That their operation is stronger financially and organizationally than the establishment grasps. And that if Sanders can prevail in Iowa (where he is currently trailing) and New Hampshire (where he leads), the nomination will be within their grasp.

To those who say that even if Sanders wins both the Hawkeye and Granite States, Clinton's strength with African-American and Hispanic voters will provide her with an impregnable firewall as the nomination contest moves to larger states, Devine offers an elaborate scoff:
“I don't think they fully appreciate the magnitude of how voters are impacted by what happens in those early states. The negative narrative that will come around her. The positive narrative that will accompany him. The big qualitative difference beyond that that we enjoy that, for example, Gary Hart did not, is the fund-raising system we've put in place. If we have early success in Iowa and New Hampshire, a few days after we could bring in $40 or $50 million cash, new money, out of this thing that we built. And then they're all tapped out. They're trying to squeeze for dough. Because the thing will have been close in Iowa and New Hampshire. They've already placed a purchase of $14 million in television buys in just Iowa and New Hampshire, and I think they'll be at $20 or $25 million by then because they'll feel so much pressure to win, they'll just be dumping millions into this thing. We'll come out of that with a huge flush of cash like Obama did and then we will start to move systematically in the states that follow with massive media buys. And unless the Clintons are willing to give up $20 or $30 million of their own money, they're just not going to be able to compete with us in cash. The dynamic of that campaign is something I don't think they fully appreciate.

Surprisingly, even Sanders himself is leaving the door ajar. In a recent interview with former Obama chief strategist and White House senior adviser David Axelrod, now at the University of Chicago, for his new podcast The Axe Files, Sanders noted, “I've never run a negative ad in my life, how's that?”
“Do you feel like you'll get through this whole campaign that same way?” Axelrod asked.
“Well, I surely hope so,” Sanders said. “I surely hope so.”
“That's not a yes or no, though,” Axelrod pressed.
“Well, it is my hope that I will never run a negative ad,” Sanders replied. “I never have after all of these years but, you know, we'll see.

The next 3 months are going to be interesting.

Fiorina will probably do well (and by "well," I mean convincingly lie her ass off once again) and get another modest bump for it, but it's obvious she's a non-factor in this race. There's just no room for her at the outsiders' table. Trump and Carson are hogging all of it.

To those who say that even if Sanders wins both the Hawkeye and Granite States, Clinton's strength with African-American and Hispanic voters will provide her with an impregnable firewall as the nomination contest moves to larger states, Devine offers an elaborate scoff:

“I don't think they fully appreciate the magnitude of how voters are impacted by what happens in those early states. The negative narrative that will come around her. The positive narrative that will accompany him..."

If I were a minority voter, I would find that sort of a comment incredibly dismissive and condescending.

Minorities will fall in line once the white people in Iowa and New Hampshire have told them what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom