• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
They think they are Obama.

Bernie Sanders has a fine record when it comes to issues important to minority communities. He really does.

But his campaign is being dismissive of them and it's gross. I mean, you have his chief strategist saying this in a public interview:

"And we don't have to win 50 percent of the African-American vote in South Carolina to win. Probably only need to win 30 percent. So we start to put that thing together, I think we can move this very quickly towards him and the dynamic of the campaign is going to overwhelm any pre-existing advantage..."

Even if that's factually true, for them to actually say that in an interview is telling. If that's the bar you're aiming for as a Democratic candidate for president, well, that's distressing.

“Well, it is my hope that I will never run a negative ad,” Sanders replied. “I never have after all of these years but, you know, we'll see.

See, this is not just the media forcing a narrative. Bernie could have easily said something along the lines of, "that's not how we roll". Here, he's pretty blatantly saying that he hopes it doesn't have to come to that, but it's not necessarily off the table. Old Bernie never had to get this crafty with the subject, and it's a clear shift in strategy.

He may not start the negative ads, but if Hillary does, he's making it known that he's not opposed to firing back. Honestly, it's the most shocking thing to come out of his campaign at this point.

I mean, the fact the Sanders' campaign's actual strategy to win over minority voters appears to be to win Iowa and New Hampshire and then expect more diverse states to gradually fall in line is really, really unsettling to me.

You hear quite a few of his supporters saying that, but to her his top-level staff saying it? Oof.

DOWN

Banned
Mike Tyson is a Trump supporter
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...e-tyson-hell-yeah-trump-has-my-vote/74671838/

He doesn't think Trump meant to be disrespectful of other ethnicities and that it doesn't matter anyway
Any time people are going to say bad things about Latinos, they’re going to say bad things about blacks, bad things about any ethnic people, you know, whatever it is, that’s just what this country was built on. But it doesn’t stop us from striving. It doesn’t stop us from becoming president. It doesn’t stop us from opening the biggest Latino––Univision––company in the world.

I mean, the fact the Sanders' campaign's actual strategy to win over minority voters appears to be to win Iowa and New Hampshire and then expect more diverse states to gradually fall in line is really, really unsettling to me.

You hear quite a few of his supporters saying that, but to her his top-level staff saying it? Oof.

While I don't disagree with you, that's not the whole strategy. Bernie said on Maddow, a couple of days ago, that they'll be starting a new campaign initiative to reach out to the African-American and Latino voters (by specifically targeting their communities for some of his rallies) and hiring the pollster to see what he needs to do to improve his approach.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
See, this is not just the media forcing a narrative. Bernie could have easily said something along the lines of, "that's not how we roll". Here, he's pretty blatantly saying that he hopes it doesn't have to come to that, but it's not necessarily off the table. Old Bernie never had to get this crafty with the subject, and it's a clear shift in strategy.

He may not start the negative ads, but if Hillary does, he's making it known that he's not opposed to firing back. Honestly, it's the most shocking thing to come out of his campaign at this point.

The thing is, why would Hillary even bother with a negative ad? She's winning by double digits. If anyone would be more likely to use a negative ad you'd think it would be the guy down 20 points.

HylianTom

Banned
Paul Ryan will support budget deal

The headline says it all. Reaction online, as usual, is rich. Rand is saying he'll filibuster, so he's raised standard for the other senatorial candidates. I'm sure Cruz will join him. It'll be funny to see what Rubio decides to do.

I hope that the moderator asks a yes-or-no question tonight on whether they'd vote for this deal.

The thing is, why would Hillary even bother with a negative ad?
She needs to stay happy and positive. This happy warrior thing she has going on is clearly working.

Bowdz

The thing is, why would Hillary even bother with a negative ad? She's winning by double digits. If anyone would be more likely to use a negative ad you'd think it would be the guy down 20 points.

Strong this.

She doesn't need to go negative until her numbers starting dropping again. If Bernie goes negative while she stays positive, it will reflect poorly on him among the voters he is trying to sway. Besides, Hillary has multiple superpacs that can hit Bernie back without Hillary having to go negative while all negative ads coming out of Bernie will be from his campaign.

Right. But this isn't about Hillary, per se. It's about Bernie's odd decision to open up an option that he's been vehemently opposed to for decades. In practice, he may never end up running a negative ad, but the fact that he's positing hypothetical scenarios in which he wouldn't be opposed to using negative ads is very telling.

As for why he's even saying this, I suppose it's his way of saying he's going to cover all his bases.

Tarkus

Mike Tyson is a Trump supporter
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...e-tyson-hell-yeah-trump-has-my-vote/74671838/

He doesn't think Trump meant to be disrespectful of other ethnicities and that it doesn't matter anyway
633.gif

Finally a debate in which I don't have an exam the following day. Who is doing the thread?

Michael Steele just said that there will be two or three candidates through the whole primary race, and that Jeb will be one of them.

So. Damn. Confident.

Party machinery still isn't sold on Rubio. I'm lower on him than many in this thread for that reason - very few endorsements, lackluster fundraising. He's the least offensive alternative which is why so many people her picked him to win the nomination, but he literally has no accomplishments.

teiresias

Why does this whole "Bernie hired a pollster" get so much play? I mean, shouldn't a campaign have one regardless? Not a good look for the ability you actually run a national general election campaign if you ask me.

noshten

Well after Hillary started implying sexism against Bernie so him calling out her record is definitely fair game. I doubt he would go any more negative - since he does want this race to be about issues rather than mud slinging ala Trump.

tomtom94

Why does this whole "Bernie hired a pollster" get so much play? I mean, shouldn't a campaign have one regardless? Not a good look for the ability you actually run a national general election campaign if you ask me.

Anti-establishment candidates who start using traditional political methods always get shit from those who want to use it as a wedge issue to split them from their base. Happening a lot with Corbyn in the UK.

I'm hearing a lot of chatter that this debate we're gonna see a brand new, loosey goosey, reset Jeb and that will be the beginning of the new comeback strategy for him.

As Tyson once said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face

Makai

I'm hearing a lot of chatter that this debate we're gonna see a brand new, loosey goosey, reset Jeb and that will be the beginning of the new comeback strategy for him.

What does that even look like? He was failing because he was pretending to be someone he's not?

FiggyCal

Banned

I'm guessing he'll say something dumb. But that's just my opinion. Maybe he'll go all or nothing on "my brother kept us safe on 9/11".

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Oh lord, we're gonna see W dressed in a JEB! costume aren't we?

What does that even look like? He was failing because he was pretending to be someone he's not?

Jeb plots his comeback
Bush will debut his relaunch at the GOP presidential debate in Colorado and in a subsequent swing through New Hampshire.
Outpaced by outsiders Donald Trump and Ben Carson, the one-time GOP front-runner has slashed campaign staff and costs and enlisted his family's two presidents to reassure worried donors about his White House hopes. Starting with Wednesday night's debate, his campaign is promising a sharper, more nimble and aggressive candidate and is looking to history for encouragement.
"What is going to happen from now on is the real person that many people now seem to be questioning will come out," said Rep. Carlos Gonzalez, a New Hampshire state lawmaker who is backing Bush.

"He is coming in full force, you will see him come from behind and be the comeback kid," said Gonzalez,

After watching both the Daily Show and the Late Show with Colbert, could someone explain to me why Bernie Sanders' fans are so defensive that they need everyone to scream from the rooftops that he's winning?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
After watching both the Daily Show and the Late Show with Colbert, could someone explain to me why Bernie Sanders' fans are so defensive that they need everyone to scream from the rooftops that he's winning?

Because even at his best he was still down 20 points and how can you get excited about a candidate with no real chance at winning? Gotta watch out that you don't buy into that hype, it can be like Kool Aid if you aren't careful.

NeoXChaos

Because even at his best he was still down 20 points and how can you get excited about a candidate with no real chance at winning? Gotta watch out that you don't buy into that hype, it can be like Kool Aid if you aren't careful.

Exactly:

Maggie Haberman ‏@maggieNYT 33m33 minutes ago
Clinton is very much in the Sanders' people's heads and they so far appear to be taking the bait...

Bernie is really going to feel this Bern:

Congressman for 2nd District of California
Jared Huffman
1 hr · Edited ·
To my friends who have been urging me to endorse Bernie Sanders for President, and to those who have urged an endorsement of Hillary Clinton, I have an announcement.
I like Bernie very much and definitely "feel the Bern" in terms of his positive, authentic, progressive message and especially his relentless focus on addressing income inequality and fixing an economy that is rigged against the middle class. His candidacy is a very good thing for our country and he has already impacted the race in positive ways. Plus, I enjoyed travelling with Bernie and his wonderful wife Jane to Chile last year on a "co-del" focused on human rights.
I'm also very impressed with Secretary Clinton, especially the strong positions she's taken over the past couple of months on trade, climate, environmental protection, and gun violence. She is uniquely qualified to be President, and her very strong performance in the debate and the sham Benghazi hearing reassures me that her candidacy is only gaining strength. And, as a bonus, I think our country would benefit from electing a qualified woman at long last to be our President.
Considering the terrible GOP candidates, the imperative of winning in this very consequential election cycle, and the opportunity to create a wave election in 2016 that returns both the Senate and the House to Democrats, I believe Hillary is our best candidate.
For that reason, and with lots of respect for Bernie, I am endorsing Hillary Clinton and pledging my support as a "Super Delegate" to her at the Democratic convention. I wanted those who are interested in this to know of my decision and my reasoning.

Slime

Banned

It's the Ron Paul effect. Supporters of anti-establishment candidates always seem to be in a constant state of paranoia that they're being unfairly ignored, especially when they're just flat out losing.

It's the Ron Paul effect. Supporters of anti-establishment candidates always seem to be in a constant state of paranoia that they're being unfairly ignored, especially when they're just flat out losing.

So is this one of those things where Internet and Reality don't align?

They keep going on about Sanders winning the polls after the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom