• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Carson flying high in polling is that it reinforces the establishment view that Trump, Carson, Carly are just 2012 flavors and will make way for REAL candidates soon. There is a kernel of truth to that viewpoint. Carson appeals to a very vocal minority within the electorate and does not seem to have broad based, deep appeal. The sooner he goes away the better it is for Trump to lead the charge.

However, that reuters poll firmly establishes that Trump has all the numbers it takes to be a frontrunner: best on economy, foreign policy, trade, etc. Hopefully future polls follow this trend.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with Carson flying high in polling is that it reinforces the establishment view that Trump, Carson, Carly are just 2012 flavors and will make way for REAL candidates soon. There is a kernel of truth to that viewpoint. Carson appeals to a very vocal minority within the electorate and does not seem to have broad based, deep appeal. The sooner he goes away the better it is for Trump to lead the charge.

However, that reuters poll firmly establishes that Trump has all the numbers it takes to be a frontrunner: best on economy, foreign policy, trade, etc. Hopefully future polls follow this trend.

The way I see it, Trump is the one with a small but loyal minority within the GOP. Carson seems pretty popular throughout the entire party.

I think Carson probably currently has the best odds of anyone to win the nomination, or at least win the national popular vote for it. I'm just not sure if he has the infrastructure to do things like get on the ballot in states with tough requirements, or manage the unbound delegates.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The way I see it, Trump is the one with a small but loyal minority within the GOP. Carson seems pretty popular throughout the entire party.

I think Carson probably currently has the best odds of anyone to win the nomination, or at least win the national popular vote for it. I'm just not sure if he has the infrastructure to do things like get on the ballot in states with tough requirements, or manage the unbound delegates.

Really? From the looks of the numbers its Trump that's doing better. He's doing better on almost every issue, is up almost double digits among ever single bent of conservative voter, and is ahead in most states.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Either of them is good for Hillary.

Trump at least would make debates entertaining as he'll be swinging for the fences and getting those zingers in. I have a feeling I'd come close to feeling sorry for Carson in a debate against Clinton because he'd be so obviously outclassed.

Trump's support spans broad demos within the Republican base. The only common thread seems to be an anger at the system.

Carson's vote is the evangelical right. He has high favourables, but that doesn't equate to a broad support base for him as President.

ivysaur12

Banned
@geoffreyvs
Good news for Conway in #KYGov: His % in key Fayette Co. is 54.9%. Beshear won 54.7% there in 2011 in his easy win. We'll see if that holds.

Here we go...

ALSO:

Scott Jennings ‏@ScottJenningsKY
#kygov In 2011, Gov. Steve Beshear got 33k votes. Conway is now at 32k votes. If that's true, then turnout should be higher than 2011.

Better turnout = Better for Conway.

EDIT MORE:

@geoffreyvs
New batch of figures from Fayette help Bevin, hurt Conway. Beshear on 54.7% there in '11, Conway now at 52.7%. 73% in there via @AoSHQDD.

Reminder that Beshear won by 19 points.

Both Carson and Trump should be easy to beat during the general. Too many dumb things they said that would be easily used against them, their inexperience with campaigning for the generals would hurt them, and they really appeal to specific groups of people and their appeal because of that might not last long.

Both Carson and Trump should be easy to beat during the general. Too many dumb things they said that would be easily used against them, their inexperience with campaigning for the generals would hurt them, and they really appeal to specific groups of people and their appeal because of that might not last long.

They have some glaring weaknesses that would be easy for Demoncrats to drum turnout over, especially among certain demographics. It'd be real nice for the downticket races.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump's support spans broad demos within the Republican base. The only common thread seems to be an anger at the system.

Carson's vote is the evangelical right. He has high favourables, but that doesn't equate to a broad support base for him as President.

100% true.

I'm listening to "double down" right now on audiobook. In many ways it seems Carson is pretty similar to Huckabee in 08, only with less oratorical skill and political credentials.

Both had rabid, passionate evangelical fanbases, despite the party not taking them seriously as contenders. Huckabee's support though as it turns out was extremely regional- he was a serious contender in the bible belt and caused establishment candidates no shortage of problems, but was an also-ran and noncompetitive everywhere else.

I suspect Carson's support is similar.

always good to hear from those who ignore facts and statistics, and go with their gut instead. Good for you!

noshten

Are there any Sanders polling / campaign articles that aren't a tad bit cynical at this point?

Ex-Clinton supporter now shocked to the core by Sanders
“I was excited when Hillary Clinton decided to run. I thought she was the one,” said Brigid Ernst, also of Altoona. Although she could be happy with Clinton or former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, “Bernie represents my core beliefs.”

from the same article, also I wasn't talking about the article just what neo chose to quote from that tweet

They have some glaring weaknesses that would be easy for Demoncrats to drum turnout over, especially among certain demographics. It'd be real nice for the downticket races.

Democrats don't necessarily would have do that. Ben and Carson do to that with themselves . The fact that they little to zero political knowledge would make look extremely ignorant and dumb to the country. Some people might say Obama had little experience, but he would far far more knowledgeable and experience than those two. I can see some moderate or establishment Republican voters might not vote for them because of that. They do have great appeal, but that appeal is narrow to a few things and certain demographics.

Diablos

Bevin is going to tear Kynect to shreds if he wins.

Gotta wonder how many KY voters are literally voting for their Medicaid to be ripped away from them because something someting Democrat something Obama

Damn, hold on Conway.

Republicans would certainly spin a small win as bad news considering Beshear won by a huge margin in 2011, but a win's a win.

noshten

Bevin is going to tear Kynect to shreds if he wins.

Gotta wonder how many KY voters are literally voting for their Medicaid to be ripped away from them because something someting Democrat something Obama

Super PACs are spending the most on the two hotly contested gubernatorial races in Kentucky and Louisiana. Some groups raising unlimited sums for Kentucky’s gubernatorial race, including the ones involved only in the primary election, have collected more than $14 million. Those involved in Louisiana’s election have pulled in more than $16 million.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/2015-elections-super-pac_5633d165e4b0c66bae5c7bbb

You've gotta admit it's a pretty effective strategy

ivysaur12

Banned
This feels like a loss for the Democrats.

Congrats, Kentucky. You literally just voted for a man to take away your health insurance.

EDIT: At least it seems as if the conservative parts are reporting first...

Joe Sonka ‏@joesonka 2m2 minutes ago
Looks like Jefferson County/Louisville is reporting from outside of city to middle, so there's the only good news for Conway so far. #kygov

Congrats Kentuckians for voting to deprive people of health care! Probably gonna go right to work too. But idk something dirty liberals, gay people lazy moochers or something.

At least Grimes, Edelen and Beshear seem to be holding on.

I think the race will be close but damn, I was hoping this would be a slam dunk.

NeoXChaos said:
Conway is going to be another choakley
I don't think you can blame Conway if he loses (although I've heard his campaign isn't that great). Coakley lost twice in an overwhelmingly Democratic state. Kentucky on the other hand is another state like West Virginia, Louisiana, Arkansas etc. which has been solid red on the presidential level for years and the state elections are just catching up.

Diablos

Bevin pulling ahead...

Fuck term limits. If you're a good head of state you should be rewarded for it. Otherwise the voters will kick you out.

I hate seeing stuff like this. Literally nobody wakes up worse when Democrats when. Tomorrow hundreds of thousands will be forced to change healthcare, lose coverage or be forced to pay more. And the sad thing is. It will be blame on obamacare itself.

Fuck. This country sucks. We have a middle who are the greediest people on the planet. It literally is just that simple greed.

How many states dems even have control? 10?

How do we get past the fact white suburbanites and rural and folks don't want to be in a party with minorities, young people and gays?

thefro

I hate seeing stuff like this. Literally nobody wakes up worse when Democrats when. Tomorrow hundreds of thousands will be forced to change healthcare, lose coverage or be forced to pay more. And the sad thing is. It will be blame on obamacare itself.

Fuck. This country sucks. We have a middle who are the greediest people on the planet. It literally is just that simple greed.

Kentucky House is controlled by Democrats so Bevin can't just shut Kynect down even if he wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom