• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is about the area I grew up in. It's more than heartbreaking:

http://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...t-black-white-divide-1108-20151106-story.html

If West Florissant Avenue is the epicenter for the Ferguson, Mo., uprisings, then Hartford's Albany and Prospect avenues are our racial and economic fault lines. My family and I are from the St. Louis area and we have called Hartford home for more than 15 years.

A portrait in black and white shows housing projects, mansions and foster homes for black and brown children flanking Hartford's city line. Economic injustice and racism have been carving canyons for years.

After the Civil War, Hartford was one of the wealthiest American cities, with booming industrial production. Now Hartford is one of the poorest American cities in one of the richest states. Real estate, public transit and industry continue to sort our neighborhoods into affluent suburbs and neglected urban communities. Police and government reinforce these divisions. Residents — 83 percent of whom are black or Latino — are living in a trap built by racism and inequality. Let's examine some facts:

• Blacks, not so long ago, were legally cut out of suburbia. The deeds for some properties in West Hartford had restrictive covenants, preventing black people from purchasing those homes. According to historian James W. Loewen, there is some evidence that Glastonbury and Simsbury were known as "sundown towns," which kept people of color out with signs that read, "Whites Only After Dark."

• Hartford is the region's service hub. Almost half of our property (44 percent) is tax exempt — government property, colleges, hospitals, houses of worship and schools. Our three hospitals are home to 59 percent of the county's beds, according to the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities. These services, along with the labor, raw materials, first responders and roads that support them, are used by people from all the surrounding towns.

• Poverty is seen as a contagious disease to be quarantined, not cured. Average per capita income for Hartford residents is just over $16,000 and half of our capital city's children live in poverty, according to the Census Bureau. This poses a greater threat to tens of thousands of our children than terrorism and mass shootings.

• Housing costs stack the deck against economic mobility in Hartford. The city's property tax rate is the highest in Connecticut. Homeowners in Hartford pay roughly the same tax on a single-family house as they would in West Hartford, according to the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities. Further, the National Low-Income Housing Coalition estimates that individuals have to earn almost $48,000 per year or, if they earn minimum wage, work 96 hours a week to pay Hartford's fair market rent.

Many suburbanites are unaware that they are benefiting economically from many of these conditions. Meanwhile, Hartford residents live amid the sometimes toxic rubble left in the wake of wealth extraction. These imbalances have depleted Greater Hartford, stunted our development, shortened the lives of city residents and trapped communities of black and brown people.

On Oct. 5, 100 people of faith from all over Greater Hartford stood on the city line to protest these conditions. Twelve were arrested for trying to break the poverty quarantine. Many of the demonstrators were part of Moral Monday CT, which is a black-led movement for racial justice and is in Hartford because, as Martin Luther King Jr. said in Birmingham, "injustice is here," and because Hartford is the capital city, a wealthy insurance city and one of the poorest and most chocolate cities in America.

About 123,000 people commute into Hartford every day from surrounding towns. Hartford has the 25th highest number of out-of-town commuters in the nation for a city its size, according to the Connecticut Economic Research Center. If even half of those folks would stand with us, we could break the quarantine that constrains a sense of shared destiny between Hartford and its suburbs. As the Rev. King said, "We are caught up in an inescapable network of mutuality tied in a single garment of destiny."

User 406

Banned
This is about the area I grew up in. It's more than heartbreaking:

http://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...t-black-white-divide-1108-20151106-story.html

Those people just need to stop indulging in their culture of victimhood.

Ben_Carson_by_Gage_Skidmore_3.jpg

"Democrats fall in line, Republicans fall apart."

We've come a long way since 2008. I think Obama, and Clinton as well, deserve credit for working to unite the party after all the bitterness of that primary.
I think Obama and Clinton were both extraordinary candidates and it was just unfortunate that Democrats could only pick one.

Honestly if he didn't turn out to be such a sleazy shitbag Edwards would probably be running this year too (or he'd be Obama's VP). We had three extremely charismatic candidates last year to the point where they all would have been viable backup plans for 2012 in case the Democratic nominee lost in 2008.

Now of course in 2020/2024, Castro, Booker and Harris should all be seasoned professionals and we'll have another amazing primary.

NeoXChaos

Get ready for the Marco kamikaze courtesy of Bush.

And the group’s chief strategist has boasted of his willingness to spend as much as $20 million to damage Mr. Rubio’s reputation and halt his sudden ascent in the polls, according to three people told of the claim.

Seething with anger and alarmed over Mr. Rubio’s rise, aides to Mr. Bush, the former Florida governor, and his allies are privately threatening a wave of scathing attacks on his former protégé in the coming weeks, in a sign of just how anxious they have become about the state of Mr. Bush’s candidacy.

Their looming problem: In trying to undercut Mr. Rubio as unaccomplished and unprepared, Mr. Bush is a flawed messenger. Over the years he has repeatedly, and sometimes lavishly, praised the younger lawmaker, often on camera.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/10/u...e-of-harsh-attacks-on-rubio-an-ex-mentee.html

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So, I've been meaning to ask. How does a belt buckle protect you from a stabbing? Was Carson trying to stab Bob in like the crotch or something? Or was it just a huge assed belt buckle. And even then, why did Carson try to stab Bob only once and then give up? Did his knife break on the belt buckle? Or is he just a giver upper.

An underhand stab with your arm basically straight down at your side would be around belt buckle height, and if you're trying to stab someone like that, it's likely you're not trying to draw attention to the fact that you're trying to stab someone and don't plan on sticking around no matter the result of that stab attempt.

Loyalty doesn't exist in the Republican Party, I fucking love it.

But the preoccupation with Mr. Rubio is revealing, suggesting not just fury at his challenge to a former mentor, but also a conviction that rivals like Donald J. Trump and Ben Carson have no chance of winning and will collapse in time for Mr. Bush to rise again. Mr. Rubio, the Bush team expects, will remain standing.

For many of Mr. Bush’s longest-serving advisers, Mr. Rubio’s run is a personal betrayal: Mr. Bush backed Mr. Rubio’s bid for House speaker in Florida and persuaded important donors to endorse him for Senate. A few of Mr. Bush’s supporters have taken to calling Mr. Rubio “Judas.”
Oh, yes.

Lol, why is Bush going after a Walker endorsement as if it will mean anything?

An underhand stab with your arm basically straight down at your side would be around belt buckle height, and if you're trying to stab someone like that, it's likely you're not trying to draw attention to the fact that you're trying to stab someone and don't plan on sticking around no matter the result of that stab attempt.
I see.

But then Bob was his friend close unnamed relative, apparently. So it's not like the attempted stabbing would escape attention. Except apparently it did, since no one else remembers it.
@ppppoll SC courtesy of Rachel Maddow

Clinton 72
Bernie 18
O'Malley 5

Who won the presidential forum?

Clinton 67
Bernie 25
O'Malley 8
I feel like these fora and debates have reached the point, at least in the Democratic Primary, where they only really serve to confirm one's already made decisions. Someone watching it who already supports Bernie will think he came out best. Someone watching it who supports Hillary will think she did what she needed to do.

While I'm glad the media is scrutinizing Carson, idk why they aren't grilling him on the really crazy stuff instead of going after stupid lies in his bio. It seems like a waste of time where he can BS his way out of it.

Also looking forward to yet another year of the "war on Christmas".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mike Huckabee said:
I’m not going to get arguing what Ben did or didn’t do, but the one thing I heard him say that I was kind of taken aback [by was] when he said that people are looking into his personal life and they are going after them,” he said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“I’m thinking, ‘Pal, you ain’t seen nothing yet,’ ” Huckabee said of Carson. "They have not yet come after your kids and the rest of your family — they will.
“This is part of the process,” the 2016 Republican White House hopeful added. "This ain’t bean bag, as they say. It is a brutal process. I’ve been through it for 26 years and life ain’t fair, I’m telling you.”

:lol

Here we go. Can't wait for these guys to start attacking Carson.

FiggyCal

Banned
While I'm glad the media is scrutinizing Carson, idk why they aren't grilling him on the really crazy stuff instead of going after stupid lies in his bio. It seems like a waste of time where he can BS his way out of it.

Also looking forward to yet another year of the "war on Christmas".

Maybe they don't want to hurt their rep with the new president?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I thought that was the point of the story.

..no?

The point was somehow this inane story "proved" he was "honest".

Agreed. This sorta stuff is fun, but the other shit Carson has said so far should be far more enticing to the media.

My volunteer lobbying group is holding a benefit concert. We have a mildly famous violinist in our group and he's going to be playing Mozart and Beethoven. How do I best promote this event? I only listen to death metal, black metal, and sludge metal, I don't know how to sell music like this or whom to promote to...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My volunteer lobbying group is holding a benefit concert. We have a mildly famous violinist in our group and he's going to be playing Mozart and Beethoven. How do I best promote this event? I only listen to death metal, black metal, and sludge metal, I don't know how to sell music like this or whom to promote to...

Is there any video of him performing? If so start linking that around and be sure to mention it's for charity.

Iolo

Maybe you could slow it down to 16rpm and make it sound like doom metal.

Did not know Deray was gay.

Shocked that he in particular hasn't become a bigger boogeyman yet. BLM has, but you don't see paranoid Facebook posts about Deray yet that I've seen.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah, I just found out Deray was gay. He's become a bit of a boogeyman in some circles or with #GoHomeDeray, but not as much as you'd expect. It hasn't left #tcot for facebook, and these are all words.

I can't believe emergency contraception in the U.S. costs $50 to consumers when it can be sold at a profit for $4.

Government backed monopolies are real fun.

(no problems with my life, just researching some stuff related to abortion)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like these fora and debates have reached the point, at least in the Democratic Primary, where they only really serve to confirm one's already made decisions. Someone watching it who already supports Bernie will think he came out best. Someone watching it who supports Hillary will think she did what she needed to do.

I mean that's factually not true. The number who intend to vote Hillary and the number who then think she won are not within the margin of error of one another, and in an unfavourable manner. Vice versa for Sanders.

My ranking was O'Malley > Sanders > Clinton

But I don't disagree that confirmation bias probably skewed the results of that poll. For me personally though, I'm more interested in objective information, not loyalty points.

I mean that's factually not true. The number who intend to vote Hillary and the number who then think she won are not within the margin of error of one another, and in an unfavourable manner. Vice versa for Sanders.
I didn't make any factual or statistical assessment, based on any margin of error overlap between the two pools of responses. It was, as noted, a "feeling" and I don't even know what the margin of error for the sample is anyway. I'm not really sure overlapping margin of error would amount to anything one way or the other - it wouldn't actually indicate that it's the same people responding with the same candidate to each question?

I based it on that a high percentage think that she won that forum, which doesn't seem to be based on her actual performance given her performance at it was quite poor.

Did not know Deray was gay.

Shocked that he in particular hasn't become a bigger boogeyman yet. BLM has, but you don't see paranoid Facebook posts about Deray yet that I've seen.

Yeah, I just found out Deray was gay. He's become a bit of a boogeyman in some circles or with #GoHomeDeray, but not as much as you'd expect. It hasn't left #tcot for facebook, and these are all words.

Looks like he's never hidden his gayness, people were just not looking for it.

And yeah, Deray gets attacked more than you think, mostly for supposedly being a "race pimp" or taking money or selling out. He had to say over and over that he never got paid for his speech at Yale.

McClatchy/Marist poll

Wish they had specific numbers but whatever. Carson is first in the primary followed by Trump.

Interesting that Clinton and Sanders don't have a huge electability difference but they perform better or worse depending on the GOP candidate. Clinton does better against Carson, Rubio, and Trump. Sanders does better against Bush, Cruz and Fiorina.
i think they updated late last night

(McClatchy-Marist Poll 10/29 - 11/4)
(Before the rage of Benny C)
Carson 24%
Trump 23%
Rubio 12%
Cruz 8%
Bush 8%
Paul 5 %
Kasich 4%
Fiorina 3%

http://www.pollingreport.com/wh16rep.htm

pretty much every single nationalpoll has the same top 5, with 2 months to go till the first primaries itll be interesting to see who drops out before the December debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom