• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both in terms of short-term and long-term - Kloubacher, Booker, Cuomo, Hickenlooper, the Castro's, Tulsi Gabbard (assuming the Hillary Death Squads don't taker her out by complaining about the debates :)), Gillibrand, Kamala Harris. Just off the top of my head.

I really think out of the people mentioned, Booker, Harris, Castro, and Gillibrand will be the top four in 2024/20. Especially Harris. Pretty cool to think that we could have a half Black, half Indian female president. If not, then maybe a Supreme Court nominee.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Talking about DeBlasio as a serious national candidate when he has awful approval ratings and is likely a one term mayor seems a bit off.

Bloomberg and Giuliani had similar numbers at this point in their terms and managed to turn it around. I imagine the feud between him and Cuomo hasn't helped much either. So it feels a bit early to call him a one-term-er. He's still around 40-ish percent on aggregate.

EDIT: His support has softened a bit among minorities, he went from 70% to 60%, but the demographics still would have him coast to reelection. It's his support among whites that is dragging those numbers down.

What did DeBlasio do to make himself so unpopular? Seems like a liberal mayor should fare well in NYC.

He's been taking a lot of heat over the homeless problem. We aren't busing them out of the city anymore, like we were under Bloomberg and Giuliani, so the issue is a lot more visible. He's also stuck trying to navigate the police brutality issue, playing to the middle on that one is impossible in the city. You're either with the cops and against BLM or with BLM and against the cops. Also, for a lot of [stupid] people apparently if you aren't with the cops you are for crime.

In short, his issue is appealing to white voters.

Ecotic

Rubio is center-right? Other than immigration, which he flip-flopped on, what exactly are his policy differences to someone like Cruz?

Is Rubio for a flat-tax and a return to the gold standard? I guess in 2015 not supporting those policies makes you undedicated in Republican politics.

Oh god, that's the shit that burns reaaaaal slow.

As for our potential 2024 nominee, I'm in favor of Gillibrand. I mean, after our Queen creates her neo-liberal, center-right Utopia, I want our next Queen to take the throne. It's only fair she inherit the Presidency from Hillary Yaaaassss Clinton, right?

Actually it depends on who Clinton selects as her VP. Get someone good in there, and then we can try for holding on the Presidency for 20 years. Which...ya, that's probably a pipe dream.

Hillary's VP should she serve two terms has right of first refusal.

Maybe...depends on who it is, though. Kaine is a good pick for VP, but I don't see myself getting all hot and bothered over a Kaine Presidency. I also don't want Hillary to raid the Senate to fill cabinet or for VP.

teiresias

Did Trump seriously say wages were too high during the debate? I swear, there's plenty of general election material in every single one of these.

Maybe...depends on who it is, though. Kaine is a good pick for VP, but I don't see myself getting all hot and bothered over a Kaine Presidency. I also don't want Hillary to raid the Senate to fill cabinet or for VP.

me neither. The dems need to keep the senate by as wide a margin as possible. if they're going to use a senator for VP, it has to be from a safe blue state and absolutely not Virginia. ideally it will be a governor or former senator, or someone out of left field.

me neither. The dems need to keep the senate by as wide a margin as possible. if they're going to use a senator for VP, it has to be from a safe blue state and absolutely not Virginia. ideally it will be a governor or former senator, or someone out of left field.

Y'mean like, say... Vermont? :grin:

What, you want Patrick Leahy to run? Because I can't think of any other democratic senators in that state.
latest

This is why Castro is a good pick. Not a Senator, not from a swing state, and can appeal directly to the youth and Hispanics. He could be the first stepping stone towards turning Texas blue someday.

This is why Castro is a good pick. Not a Senator, not from a swing state, and can appeal directly to the youth and Hispanics. He could be the first stepping stone towards turning Texas blue someday.

I endorsed castro as a solid VP pick some time ago, possibly in the last thread. VP is a safe spot for him where he can get as much "executive experience" as he needs without being in danger of doing anything really stupid to jeopardize a 2024 run.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I love how Vitter was trying to criticize Edwards for being "holier than thou".

Fuck off. That's something your party does every second of every single day, and you'd be doing the same damn thing if not for your diaper.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is entertaining and all but Vitter will still win comfortably.

you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment. Expect a Vitter win.

I dunno. JBE starts out with a much bigger base of support than Conway would, and is a much better candidate than he was. I think it'll be close, regardless. Vitter is just such a bad candidate, and the primary was just so embarrassing for him...

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Did Trump seriously say wages were too high during the debate? I swear, there's plenty of general election material in every single one of these.

He didn't say they were too high per se. In response to the question of whether the minimum wage should be raised he said things need to stay as they are for the US to remain competitive.

So more "they can't go any higher" than "too high currently".

Carson had the more idiotic answer citing only 19.8% of black teenagers having a job and needing to work on raising that number rather than raising minimum wage. He seemed to not want to account for both black teenagers should mostly be in school anyway so that number isn't necessarily "low" and one would think that their parents should be able to comfortably support them doing that.

kingkitty

Hillary's VP should she serve two terms has right of first refusal.

Unless there's a more appealing candidate, ex: Hillary v Biden.

I endorsed castro as a solid VP pick some time ago, possibly in the last thread. VP is a safe spot for him where he can get as much "executive experience" as he needs without being in danger of doing anything really stupid to jeopardize a 2024 run.

Castro is so vastly under qualified for the VP slot. I hope Hillary will pick a better candidate.

Cerium

I don't think Castro would be ready to be President on Day 1, but I think he'd be a quick study as VP and is worth investing in for the future of the party and country.

Plus he'd help Hillary win, especially if the opponent is Trump.

kingkitty

Hillary is doing great among Hispanics, she doesn't need to pull a desperate McCain move. And if her opponent is Trump (unlikely), then she'll win the Hispanic vote by fantastic, luxurious margins.

Cerium

Hillary is doing great among Hispanics, she doesn't need to pull a desperate McCain move. And if her opponent is Trump (unlikely), then she'll win the Hispanic vote by fantastic, luxurious margins.

Julian Castro isn't Sarah Palin. He went to Harvard Law.

NeoXChaos

Julian may not have all the experience but atleast he is competent. I still stand by my stance that he will be picked. I guess I will be proven right or wrong come July. If he became VP, I am not worried he could not rise to the occasion and be President.

Julian Castro isn't Sarah Palin. He went to Harvard Law.
Eh. She was a Governor. Or a small state granted. And a shitty Governor granted, although from memory she had high approval ratings. And it's hard to be as insubstantial as Sarah Palin.

But really, Castro seems pretty insubstantial in terms of accomplishment. He was a ceremonial mayor and now heads like the 13th, or something, most important executive agency, where the power actually resides elsewhere too. Also, not really sure why one Castro is mentioned over the other actually, is there a reasoning for this?
If he became VP, I am not worried he could not rise to the occasion and be President.
Eh, I would be really. Although it's unlikely to ever eventuate. EDIT: Do you mean if Hillary like died after her oath of office? Or after like 8 years as an understudy.

NeoXChaos

Eh. She was a Governor. Or a small state granted. And a shitty Governor granted, although from memory she had high approval ratings. And it's hard to be as insubstantial as Sarah Palin.

But really, Castro seems pretty insubstantial in terms of accomplishment. He was a ceremonial mayor and now heads like the 13th, or something, most important executive agency, where the power actually resides elsewhere too. Also, not really sure why one Castro is mentioned over the other actually, is there a reasoning for this?
Eh, I would be really. Although it's unlikely to ever eventuate.

I do admit him as a pick would be heavily scrutinized. Going from Joe Biden to Julian Castro is a huge drop in the hierarchy of experience. Castro just has to survive the initial scrutiny and do well enough in his VP debate to show he can be ready on day 1.

Her pick will ultimately depend on who the R nominee will be most likely.

kingkitty

Also, not really sure why one Castro is mentioned over the other actually, is there a reasoning for this?

I agree, Joaquín Castro is more impressive, since he didn't waste his years doing ceremonial gigs, but actually being a part of state legislature, and then getting two terms as a US congressman.

But Hillary doesn't need to pick either Castro. I reckon she would pick someone from a swing state.

Hence why I agree that he won't be ready on Day 1. But I do think he's got the smarts and work ethic to learn, especially if Hillary makes an effort to groom him as her successor.

It's completely unnecessary. Give the VP job to someone who is actually qualified. If Julian has ambition, he'll run for a congressional seat. Get some terms under his belt. He can still gain political experience, without Hillary's help.

Cerium

Julian is mentioned more than Joaquín because Obama selected him for the keynote at the 2012 DNC. That's the same spot that launched Obama to national prominence (thanks Kerry) and it was widely interpreted as Obama trying to pass the torch.

Castro is so vastly under qualified for the VP slot. I hope Hillary will pick a better candidate.

There's really "no such thing" as vastly underqualified to be VP. More often than not VP is selected to bring in an extra state or demographic group in the general election more than anything else. Hillary doesn't really need a VP to do this, she should cruise to election easily given the republican field.

the position itself is almost completely ceremonial with ill defined duties, outside of acting as a tiebreaker in the senate (which takes virtually no skill to do) or an "in case of emergency, break glass" situation if the president dies in office.

If someone is underqualified, VP allows them to get whatever experience might be appropriate for a presidential run in an 8 year span. Since VP doesn't really *do* anything, you can have him do *anything*.

It's a waste to take a skilled senator or popular governor and have them waste away as VP for 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom