• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

There are some people who talk issues/news in here. There are a handful of frequent posters who are just looking to start a fight with anyone who supports Bernie Sanders or any left leaning politician from the past.

I don't need to be bullied by some wanks on the internet for believing what I believe. Putting people on ignore lessens the hostility!

you just got unbanned from a recent blaming tirade about Jack Conway.

If he is changing the tune because this is Union Super Pac than that obviously is an issue for me.
I'm somewhat curious, and this isn't just directed at you, but in the event that Sanders was the nominee. 1. Would you take issue with him then accepting high dollar $2700 type donations from tech, Hollywood, financial services, as well as the support of a SuperPAC. And 2. Do you expect he'd be able to mount a sufficiently financed general election campaign in the absence of that?

This is with regard to both his own race and fundraising for the DNC and down ticket races.

I'm really impressed by the number of gay/bisexual men in this community. Very nice!
image.php

Really the best avatar in poligaf. Works after every post.

Why is GayGAF for Hillary? Would quite possibly be a huge generalization, based on the few PoliGAF posters that have stated their sexuality. Could it be that, on the Democratic side, as everyone is welcome, regardless of your sexual orientation, and both camps would defend a gay persons right to marry, we are free to disagree on other issues? :).

Thank goodness for Brainchild though, as I would start to wonder if Bernie's sex appeal, with young gay men, was going to be a major problem, but then I remembered, he possibly has a secret weapon with Martin O'Malley as his VP pick ;).

Of course, this is still pre-nomination, but Martin could throw his support behind Bernie, before the Convention ;). I think Elizabeth Warren's skills are better served as the Senator of Massachusetts, or in a senior cabinet position.

Daniel B·;186122336 said:
Why is GayGAF for Hillary? Would quite possibly be a huge generalization, based on the few PoliGAF posters that have stated their sexuality. Could it be that, on the Democratic side, as everyone is welcome, regardless of your sexual orientation, and both camps would defend a gay persons right to marry, we are free to disagree on other issues? :).

Thank goodness for Brainchild though, as I would start to wonder if Bernie's sex appeal, with young gay men, was going to be a major problem, but then I remembered, he possibly has a secret weapon with Martin O'Malley as his VP pick ;).

Of course, this is still pre-nomination, but Martin could throw his support behind Bernie, before the Convention ;). I think Elizabeth Warren's skills are better served as the Senator of Massachusetts, or in a senior cabinet position.

Why does that matter?

Tarkus

image.php

Really the best avatar in poligaf. Works after every post.
If I had a dollar for every avatar quote this one has gotten me...

Why is GayGAF for Hillary? Would quite possibly be a huge generalization, based on the few PoliGAF posters
I'm guessing from observations that about 40% of poliGAF is gay. Far from "the few."

I'm somewhat curious, and this isn't just directed at you, but in the event that Sanders was the nominee. 1. Would you take issue with him then accepting high dollar $2700 type donations from tech, Hollywood, financial services, as well as the support of a SuperPAC. And 2. Do you expect he'd be able to mount a sufficiently financed general election campaign in the absence of that?

This is with regard to both his own race and fundraising for the DNC and down ticket races.

Any special interests that can donate enough money to potentially influence his decisions are not acceptable donors, IMO. I would be very disappointed in Bernie if he went that route.

Anyway, if he can beat Hillary without a SuperPAC, I believe he would have enough support to have sustained financing throughout his entire campaign.

Bernie is like a grandpa figure to me, but O'Malley?!! He is definitely sexy, even at his current age. I don't think he's gonna be Bernie's VP, though. I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that Bernie would pick a minority for his VP, possibly a Hispanic woman. He has already appointed a black woman as his press secretary. I think his cabinet will be very, very diverse.

ivysaur12

Banned

I find this post to be kind of disgusting, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

I'm guessing from observations that about 40% of poliGAF is gay. Far from "the few."

I just noticed the recent declarations (since Brainchild), but I have been following the thread for some time and apart from Adam, I hadn't noticed a trend.

If it's shown that GAF gay men and women predominantly favor Hillary, then it would be interesting to find out why, but I think it is more likely that just reflects her general support, at least in PoliGAF.

NeoXChaos

ErasureAcer is gone again already!!! WTF

what did he do this time? His last post from this thread.

EDIT:
There are some people who talk issues/news in here. There are a handful of frequent posters who are just looking to start a fight with anyone who supports Bernie Sanders or any left leaning politician from the past.

I don't need to be bullied by some wanks on the internet for believing what I believe. Putting people on ignore lessens the hostility!

must be this?

I find this post to be kind of disgusting, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

Wat? I worded that post with great care and carefully weighed whether it furthered the discussion (I stand by it). Brainchild got it and in case you are now wondering, I don't have a malicious bone in me :).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
omg he is an interesting person. Are you guys sure you never heard of him prior to this year? he's been on GAF for 10 years.

Yea, he's been around forever. I've never had much contact with him outside of recently though.

Daniel B·;186125819 said:
Wat? I worded that post with great care and carefully weighed whether it furthered the discussion (I stand by it). Brainchild got it and in case you are now wondering, I don't haven't a malicious bone in me :).

mmmhmmm

Snake

Honestly, despite all the good news that stacked up for JBE, I still feel like Republicans have a good shot at squeezing out a win on Saturday due to terrible election day turnout. And if it happens, I can't wait for Democrats to go into full panic and blame it on Paris and refugees.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wat? I worded that post with great care and carefully weighed whether it furthered the discussion (I stand by it). Brainchild got it and in case you are now wondering, I don't have a malicious bone in me :).

anigif_enhanced-7540-1422550617-39.gif

Honestly, despite all the good news that stacked up for JBE, I still feel like Republicans have a good shot at squeezing out a win on Saturday due to terrible election day turnout. And if it happens, I can't wait for Democrats to go into full panic and blame it on Paris and refugees.

The SoS is now predicting 42%, which would be huge-ish for an off year gubernatorial run off. If Vitter won, it would be one of the greatest polling upsets of the past 10 years or so.

NeoXChaos

would not shock me however I remain tepidly optimistic.

I think in the end, it'll be 52/48 JBE. Let take bets now. For funsies.

probable if JBE wins: 51/48
blowout for JBE: 54/33
pessimistic Vitter upset: 51/49
blowout Vitter upset: 55/44

I was hoping Bernie touched on Israel tonight, but I imagine his campaign team may have advised him to leave well alone, for the time being. You may have noticed though, despite mentioning perhaps ten other countries, he didn't say Israel once (I may have missed it as I was listening to the video while washing the dishes).

It kinda read like you were insinuating that gay men wouldn't be supporting Bernie cause he has no sex appeal and that Martin would somehow add that to a ticket. Like gay supporters of Hillary would support Bernie if he was attractive...Like they are basing their political views on sex appeal...

today in absolutely disgusting: All muslims are terrorists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztUMUAh2Hw
I saw this on the kelly file just now. there was some phd dr. with a middle eastern sounding name as a guest. Right after that played, he said words to the effect of: "I understand the feelings of americans right now" and started talking about security and donald trump, never saying another word about what the audience had just witnessed. No condemnation, nothing. I actually said out loud to my tv who the fuck is this guy

noshten

I take no issue with people donating the maximum $2700, unless they were coerced to donate the amount.
I take issue with Super Pacs but the issues I have are actually less severe in a presidential election. Because in the end I think that people are desensitized by huge amounts spend in elections. It's the constant misinformation from the media which has turned people off the political process. The focus on insanity from media instead of real issues that concern us all. You cannot be in the business of telling the news while running a tabloid. A lot more people pay attention in a GE but on a smaller scale the rise of SuperPac has been disastrous. Think Tanks and people only interested in muddying the actual science or reality of the situation are enabled by this policy. The huge economic power given to SuperPacs has pretty much ensured that majority of people running for office would be susceptible to currying favors.
I'd really like to see statistics of how many politicians that didn't get reelected ended up in some boardroom, think tank or lobbying role. Especially if we had data over the percentage over that overview last 50 years.

User 406

Banned
today in absolutely disgusting: All muslims are terrorists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztUMUAh2Hw
I saw this on the kelly file just now. there was some phd dr. with a middle eastern sounding name as a guest. Right after that played, he said words to the effect of: "I understand the feelings of americans right now" and started talking about security and donald trump, never saying another word about what the audience had just witnessed. No condemnation, nothing. I actually said out loud to my tv who the fuck is this guy

And that fuck and everyone who thinks like him have 2nd amendment rights.

We're going to have quite a few "isolated incidents" soon, I'd wager. :/

It kinda read like you were insinuating that gay men wouldn't be supporting Bernie cause he has no sex appeal and that Martin would somehow add that to a ticket. Like gay supporters of Hillary would support Bernie if he was attractive...Like they are basing their political views on sex appeal...

I thought he was being sarcastic, but even if he wasn't, those statements wouldn't necessarily insinuate that. A candidate's sex appeal would be more like a bonus, not a determining factor.

Besides, if sex appeal was the determining factor, why would a gay man vote for Hillary instead of Bernie? It doesn't make any sense.

Makai

lol nice. Watch out, Democrats. Rubio's gonna steal the gay vote.

HylianTom

Banned
I think in the end, it'll be 52/48 JBE. Let take bets now. For funsies.

I think in that neighborhood - sticking with 53-47.

He got a nice endorsement tonight from General Russel Honore. That'll make for another round of nice headlines. It's almost like his team is spacing these things out on purpose - like they've taken lessons from Trump.

Edit:
new poll out today showing a 54-39 lead for Edwards. Very encouraging.
http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/mri-23191

==

On the topic of being gay and prefering Hillary:
I really don't support her because of my gayness, I guess. I've covered electability, I've covered the belief that she & Bernie would have legislatively similar terms, I've covered the belief that she'll appoint SCOTUS justices who are appropriate for my political leanings..

One biggie:
I really want to see the GOP mentally break. And if there's anyone on the planet to do it - to send them over the edge - it has to be the woman whom they've spent the past 25 years demonizing. To see them lose after everything they've thrown at her.. to see them lose to such a flawed candidate? It'd go a long way toward that goal.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I thought he was being sarcastic, but even if he wasn't, those statements wouldn't necessarily insinuate that. A candidate's sex appeal would be more like a bonus, not a determining factor.

Besides, if sex appeal was the determining factor, why would a gay man vote for Hillary instead of Bernie? It doesn't make any sense.

Bill. ;)

Honestly, while I kinda agree with you I have to say it totally came off as patronizing to me as well. Imagine if he insinuated that women only broke for Obama because he was handsome, it felt a little like that to me. Like he was implying that people vote with their dicks and vaginas and not their minds.

Bill. ;)

Honestly, while I kinda agree with you I have to say it totally came off as patronizing to me as well. Imagine if he insinuated that women only broke for Obama because he was handsome, it felt a little like that to me. Like he was implying that people vote with their dicks and vaginas and not their minds.

Dammit, forgot about Bill, lol

Well, if that's how it came across, regardless of Daniel's intentions, he should probably explain himself. I understand how it feels to have people insultingly suggest to me why I make the decisions that I do, so I can sympathize with you guys here.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dammit, forgot about Bill, lol

Well, if that's how it came across, regardless of Daniel's intentions, he should probably explain himself. I understand how it feels to have people insultingly suggest to me why I make the decisions that I do, so I can sympathize with you guys here.

Well, I'm not gay but that's basically how I read it. Those constant winking faces aren't helping any either.

User 406

Banned
One biggie:
I really want to see the GOP mentally break. And if there's anyone on the planet to do it - to send them over the edge - it has to be the woman whom they've spent the past 25 years demonizing. To see them lose after everything they've thrown at her.. to see them lose to such a flawed candidate? It'd go a long way toward that goal.

Yeah, this is a big part of my thinking too. They've wanted to tear her down so badly for so long. They shouldn't get what they want. I'm looking forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth while she's doing the ex-president influence thing after two successful terms. >:)

NeoXChaos

RustyNails. Our man Chris from TheFix is finally coming around.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...absolutely-be-the-republican-nominee-in-2016/

There is simply no evidence -- statistical or anecdotal -- that Trump's appeal is wearing off in any meaningful way.

Let's start on the statistical end. Here are the polling averages for the top four candidates plus Jeb(!) Bush since July, according to Real Clear Politics.
imrs.php

==

It's time to accept this reality: Donald Trump is and will continue to be a major player in the GOP nomination fight and, yes, could even wind up as the Republican standard-bearer next fall.

NeoXChaos

Chris Cillizza is the best, he doesn't get enough internet love. His weekly chats are great.

Hilarious if he is the nominee. The pledge they all signed ts going to haunt them for the rest of their lives. Rand Paul of all people is going to be floored with rage.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hilarious if he is the nominee. The pledge they all signed ts going to haunt them for the rest of their lives. Rand Paul of all people is going to be floored with rage.

I still have no idea why Rand is at the big boy table after Trump ethered him, not once, not twice, but three times. They just refuse to cut him out.

Diablos

If JBE loses Democrats are really sailing into total suck territory when it comes to being able to win a bleeping election. If they can't beat a dirtbag like Vitter they will have a hard time beating just about anyone unless you're in a deep blue state. That's troubling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom