• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polling be damned, I won't believe it until I see it. JBE winning would be a truly black swan event.
The guy strongly leading in the polls for weeks winning is a black swan event? Has this term already lost all meaning? I see anything that's mildly surprising being called such nowadays.

Snake

That's it for the Democratic Party then. Y2Kev, please write the official obituary and don't forget to savage Obama for this shameful performance.

benjipwns

Banned
Another Democratic campaign starts looking like the Clinton disaster:
Turmoil and lackluster funding in California Attorney General Kamala Harris’s Senate campaign has some Democratic operatives wondering what’s gone wrong.

Harris this week replaced campaign manager Rory Steele with Juan Rodriguez, who was serving as the campaign's senior adviser.

Harris' team is also cutting costs to control its high rate of spending, which threatens to overtake the money flowing into the campaign account. These changes follow departures by two finance directors earlier this year.
The California Attorney General — who has close ties to President Obama —remains the prohibitive favorite to win the Democratic nomination to succeed retiring Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and win election to the Senate, but the problems are leading to calls for additional changes.

Critics point to Harris’s own personality as the reason for some of the problems.

“She's perceived as very, very difficult to work for,” one strategist familiar with the campaign told The Hill. “She doesn't have real relationships and partnerships. She has acquaintances.”

The fundraising numbers point to the problem, the strategist said.

“Here she is, she's running for Senate, as an African American woman, she should be raising gobs of money,” the source said. “The fact that she's raising one and a half to 2 million a quarter, is absurd.

“She expects fundraisers who helped Obama to help her…She gets upset when donors don't flock to her, it drives her crazy that she actually has to meet and talk with people,” the source added.
Looks like it's time to move this race to "Leans R" on the big board.

Makai

State polls are notoriously unreliable. That being said, I do have almost 200 shares on JBE on PredictIt. I think he's going to win, but in retrospect, I'm not sure if the price that I got was good.
Usually because of infrequent polling. Plenty this time.

User 406

Banned
Congrats, Louisiana, for cleaning up Vitter's mess. He could probably use some cream to soothe his irritation right now. Hey, who are you, no, stop, I have more diaper jokes to make, that's my keybbbbnm,./123

Wilsongt

Congrats, Louisiana, for cleaning up Vitter's mess. He could probably use some cream to soothe his irritation right now. Hey, who are you, no, stop, I have more diaper jokes to make, that's my keybbbbnm,./123

Don't worry. I am sure Vitter will find a nice lady to pamper him.

benjipwns

Banned
Code:
Sabine Parish
CANDIDATE	PARTY	PERCENT	VOTES
David Vitter	GOP	69.1%	3,418
John Edwards	Dem	30.9%	1,530
At least the American Dream isn't dead in all of Louisiana.

Makai

This thread came to a crawl thanks to the private chat. Boo.

Why were you guys so worried? I don't understand. He was 10 points ahead.

If you had said at the beginning of the year that Democrats would pick up Louisiana while losing Kentucky you'd have been met with a blank stare and some laughter.

Makai

eiUUazj.jpg

Marco's coming for your boy, Retromelon.

Makai

Wow, excellent tag, mods

As a Trump supporter, I would be willing to give any elected candidate ultimate power.

A big part of what I see as the problem is that there's too many laws. If you think about it, literally all politicians doo all day is sit around making new laws. That's the whole point of their job. Republicans make laws, Democrats make laws, everyone keeps making laws. Sometimes the laws even contradict each other. So more and more laws keep getting made, creating a mountainous pile of red tape and legal hurdles to jump through to get anything done. As soon as you propose something, 800 different special interest groups start talking about how it violates some law.

Instead of Congress, I would replace the entire system of checks and balances with something much more simple.

1) The President can pass any policy he wants, except policy concerning the length of his term or the election process.
2) Laws can be overturned by a subsequent president, but will also expire naturally after a period of 8 years.

For starters, this would probably quadruple voter turnout.

Secondly, what works and what doesn't would become completely obvious in a very short amount of time. Currently we have this situation where there is so much red tape to cut through to implement some policy that you never know if changes in economic indicators are due to the current administration, the previous administration, or maybe even the one before that.

Third, You've still got checks and balances here, but they are after-the-fact checks and balances. Anything that's bad would just be instantly killed as soon as the next administration came to office.

And fourth, it would force them to focus on what's really important as the laws would expire after 8 years, and they would have to focus on keeping the really important ones active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom