• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My problem is his analysis after the match where he said his model was wrong. Maybe it was but that's impossible to tell because the outcome went the other way. Outliers exist in any model! Even if his model was 100% accurate, Germany should still beat Brazil by a really lopsided score randomly. Just like the lowly Toronto Raptors of the time beat the 72-10 Bulls. Would he have retroactively said his model shouldn't have favored the Bulls in that single game? Of course not. But that's what he did here. That's what pissed me off the most.

I would have been fine if he said "maybe we need to reevaluate our model to make sure this wasn't a failure of the model instead of just an outlier," but he didn't. He threw it under the bus!

Don't worry about the PM. Still not gonna be there for a month (hey exactly) and I only have like 60% of the trip planned out! Also, I am NOT waiting 2 hours for a pie. I don't mind calling it in and picking it up but like hell if I'm standing in line for 2 hours, so keep that in mind. ;)

Well I will say I agree, but we don't know what happened behind the scenes. It could be the model failed at more than just that game.

So I'll take off the touristy places. Also, you're gonna be in Manhattan right? Probably something like Grimaldi's then. I'll ask around some, getting anyone in this city to agree on pizza, other than NY is better than Chicago, is like trying to get Dems in congress in line for a vote.

EDIT: Wait, you're here for Christmas? Yikes, gonna need to do some more revisions then. Everything's gonna be super crowded.

danm999

I'm also curious about this voter block that is currently oblivious to everything going on in the primary but are still likely to vote in the primary. Is this a group that actually exists? I can understand it for the general election, but you'd have to be somewhat politically motivated to want to vote in the primary.

There was a Monmouth Poll last month that said GOP caucus voters in Iowa that had completely settled on a candidate was about 12%, with 42% having a strong preference but willing to consider others.

So there might be a significant portion of voters who are paying attention but simply have no idea which horse to back I guess? I suppose it's possible Trump has a broad but shallow appeal amongst likely voters? I dunno, that poll might be outdated or not very representative of national trends.

CUhzEhGUAAASS3v.png

What does that even mean?

I'm also curious about this voter block that is currently oblivious to everything going on in the primary but are still likely to vote in the primary. Is this a group that actually exists? I can understand it for the general election, but you'd have to be somewhat politically motivated to want to vote in the primary.
Attention, moreover, is focused as never before. Three-quarters of Americans say they are closely following the 2016 race, including three in 10 who are following it very closely. That’s the highest level of attention at this point in a presidential race in polls back nearly 30 years.

Close attention to the race is high across the board, but especially so among leaned Republicans versus leaned Democrats, 82 to 74 percent. A net total of 75 percent say they’re closely following the contest, the highest at this point in polling since 1987. That compares to just 57 percent a year out from the 1988 election, and about two-thirds in 2007 and 2011 alike.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sanders-gop-steady-terrorism-worries-back-poll/story?id=35337895

Nate's theory that voters are tuned out doesn't really fly.

Well I will say I agree, but we don't know what happened behind the scenes. It could be the model failed at more than just that game.

So I'll take off the touristy places. Also, you're gonna be in Manhattan right? Probably something like Grimaldi's then. I'll ask around some, getting anyone in this city to agree on pizza, other than NY is better than Chicago, is like trying to get Dems in congress in line for a vote.

EDIT: Wait, you're here for Christmas? Yikes, gonna need to do some more revisions then. Everything's gonna be super crowded.

haha, don't worry too much about it. I was referring more to Di Fara's 2 hour line in Brooklyn. Yeah, Christmas is crowded. Luckily, I'm getting tickets and reservations where I can in advance. But we're still doing the trip touristy...I'm just referring to a pizza pie itself. I've been on XMas for a few days before, I'm not too worried.

Even if the economy tumbles.

I'm sorry but this level of hubris seems so detached from reality. You really underestimate the electorate's voting patterns if you think everything can just go to shit and there's still gonna be enough Democrats out there to win 2016.

2012 was by no means a slam dunk, now imagine if the Ebola hysteria was happening during that time or the Obamacare website issues. Easily tilts towards Romney.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry but this level of hubris seems so detached from reality. You really underestimate the electorate's voting patterns if you think everything can just go to shit and there's still gonna be enough Democrats out there to win 2016.

2012 was by no means a slam dunk, now imagine if the Ebola hysteria was happening during that time or the Obamacare website issues. Easily tilts towards Romney.

2012 essentially was a slam dunk, though. In order to change 2012 from a win into a loss, the Republicans have to win Florida, Ohio, and Virginia, plus one from Pennsylvania, Colorado or New Hampshire. The latter three all require swings of over 5%, and as mentioned before, that's applying a uniform swing whereas in real life marginal states are less responsive due to diminishing returns. Realistically, you need something like an 8% swing for a Romney win, or 51% Romney 47% Obama (e.g. Obama could have lost the popular vote by up to 3 and a half percentage points and still taken the White House). The Ebola hysteria or Obamacare website issues just aren't enough to change that.

The Republicans have won the popular vote once since 1988 (that's almost 30 years), and that one only in the aftermath of the most serious terrorist attack on US soil in recent history. Until recently, they were favoured by the distribution of the electoral college votes, now it heavily disfavours them. It is not a good time to be a Republican candidate.

If these people exist, at Nate makes a very good argument as to why there are a lot of voters out there that haven't paid attention yet, we don't know who these people are. What are their politics? What will they look for in a candidate?

I don't think this is accurate at all. Nate is full of it, as usual. I actually missed his article today (I checked 538 at work and left before it was posted, perhaps).

Where should I start with this?

Quite often, however, the Trump’s-really-got-a-chance! case is rooted almost entirely in polls. If nothing Trump has said so far has harmed his standing with Republicans, the argument goes, why should we expect him to fade later on?

No Nate Silver, not to anyone paying attention. Ignore the polls for a moment, and let's talk about 2012. Mitt Romney was the establishment candidate there, but a weak one- his opponents frequently ran into problems with fundraising and couldn't compete with his ads (Newt, Santorum) had closets full of scandals and skeletons that bit them in the ass when the public found out (Newt Again, Cain), or underwent ill advised spinal fusion surgery, leading to dependence on pain pills, insomnia, and incoherence (Perry).

Mitt Romney BARELY beat back the 2012 field with all of this considered, and only pulled that off by outspending everyone else 10-1 in competitive states, and with the endorsement of GOP heavy hitters like the then-rising Chris Christie as a campaign surrogate.

Which of these things apply to Trump? Exactly none of them. Trump doesn't have a money problem (though his claims of self funding don't hold water, he hypthetically COULD if he cared to), His life is an open book and there ARE no scandals or october surprises to find, and Trump has been leading long enough that self implosion due to health or drug issues isn't happening. Had Trump jumped in in 2012 instead of 2016 (and this almost happened) Mitt Romney would have struggled to beat him there.

Trump will also have to get that 25 or 30 percent to go to the polls. For now, most surveys cover Republican-leaning adults or registered voters, rather than likely voters. Combine that with the poor response rates to polls and the fact that an increasing number of polls use nontraditional sampling methods, and it’s not clear how much overlap there is between the people included in these surveys and the relatively small share of Republicans who will turn up to vote in primaries and caucuses.

This one is straight bullshit. likely voter polls have been in use for some time. The following National polls in the last month are using LV, not RV or all adults polls.

FOX: Trump has 28% to Carson's 18 and Rubio's 11
PPP: Trump has 26% to Carson's 19 and Rubio's 13
Rasmussen: Trump has 27% to Carson's 20% and Rubio's 16
Zogby (internet): Trump has 30% to Carson's 17% and Rubio's 10

And New Hampshire Polls? All of these are LV:

Suffolk/Boston Globe: Trump 22% Carson 10%
CBS/Yougov: Trump 32% Carson 10%
FOX: Trump 27%, Carson 9%
MassInc/WBUR: Trump 23% Carson 13%
Monmouth: Trump 26%, Carson 16%

Iowa? No shortage of pollsters there saying the same thing.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-iowa-presidential-republican-primary

With a few exceptions (most of them old or clear outliers) everyone is saying the same thing when using likely voters. Trump is ahead, and by very similar margins whether you're looking at the early states, or nationally. The "Registered voter" theory is simply false. Hey nate?

hqdefault.jpg

It can be easy to forget it if you cover politics for a living, but most people aren’t paying all that much attention to the campaign right now. Certainly, voters are consuming some campaign-related news. Debate ratings are way up, and Google searches for topics related to the primaries1 have been running slightly ahead of where they were at a comparable point of the 2008 campaign, the last time both parties had open races. But most voters have a lot of competing priorities. Developments that can dominate a political news cycle, like Trump’s frenzied 90-minute speech in Iowa earlier this month, may reach only 20 percent or so of Americans.

horseshit. Nate is being deliberately misleading here. "Most people" don't vote in general elections. "Most people" don't vote in primaries. As noted above with the likely voter polls, these are samples of people LIKELY to vote in republican primaries, not everyone. "everyone" is irrelevant.

Mitt Romney won the 2012 republican primary with 10 million popular votes. the 2008 DEMOCRATIC primary, which could be considered a high water mark in terms of primary participation (we're not likely to get anywhere near it on the GOP or DEM side anytime soon) Saw Barack Obama win the election with 17 million popular votes, and Hillary with about the same, plus or minus a few thousand.

How many people have been paying attention so far?

24 Million watched the first GOP debate on Fox, breaking a record.
22.9 Million watched the second debate on CNN, coming close to the first debate.
14 Million watched the third GOP debate on CNBC.

And all of this ignores the coverage of debates on morning and evening news programs, youtube, facebook etc where casual watchers are more likely to get their information. you can probably double those numbers above for people who are simply "aware" of the debate and not watching them entirely.

The people who are likely to vote ARE paying attention here. It's extremely unlikely that those who managed to miss all this are showing up at polls.

This article is poorly written claptrap that is once again trying to spin Trump's appeal as ephemeral for no other reason that silver's own Bias.

The difference is that the establishment loves Ryan and hates Cruz.

Ryan could coalesce establishment support in a way that could actually rival the Trump/Carson crazies -while still being sufficiently right-wing enough to appeal to the hard-righters who aren't complete idiots and don't want to throw away any chance of winning the general.
I don't see it, honestly. Pre-Trump and Carson? Yeah, maybe. I don't see Ryan dislodging the misguided populism or nativism that Trump is rooting around in. I don't just mean that he couldn't tap it himself - I mean that I don't think he could consolidate enough energy to push it out of the limelight. The most intelligent and effective mainstream right conversation influencers are either silent or they are being shouted down in a conversation dominated and galvanized by Trump.

I don't think this is accurate at all. Nate is full of it, as usual. I actually missed his article today (I checked 538 at work and left before it was posted, perhaps).

Where should I start with this?

I didn't say all his arguments were good, only the only the one about other voters being out there.

I thought this was the important part of what he said today:

That’s OK; exit polls like this one have historically asked voters in Iowa and New Hampshire when they made their final decision on how to vote. These exit polls find that voters take their sweet time. In Iowa, on average, only 35 percent of voters had come to a final decision before the final month of the campaign. And in New Hampshire, only 29 percent had. (Why is the fraction lower in New Hampshire than in Iowa? Probably because voters there are waiting for the Iowa results before locking in their choice. In fact, about half of New Hampshire voters make up their minds in the final week of the campaign.)

But he's also wrong in other ways, as you point out, which is why I don't agree with his 20% odds at all.

pigeon

Banned
Damn PoliGAF is so bullish on Trump compared to OT.

We really weren't at first. We've had a lot of time to get used to the idea of Trump the presidential nominee during which he's weathered a lot of things that people expected would take him down.

Basically, my question about Trump is the same as it was like two months ago -- what's going to beat him? It used to be "the debates when he says idiotic things." Then it was "media focus on other candidates sucking away his oxygen." Now it's "people who weren't paying attention but were planning to vote in primaries actually starting to pay attention."

I mean, maybe. It's not impossible! It seems a little surprising, like, if that's really true why are there all these debates? Why is anybody doing anything if it's almost all meaningless until next February? There must be some people paying attention now. Are there really that many more people living in Iowa who just aren't paying attention but will come around in time for the caucus?

It's also, like, notable that this theory is one that can't be falsified at all until Iowa. Basically once the returns come in we'll just know once and for all whether Trump's support held up. Which is obviously true! But not really news. We'll know when we'll know.

I didn't say all his arguments were good, only the only the one about other voters being out there.

I thought this was the important part of what he said today:

But he's also wrong in other ways, as you point out, which is why I don't agree with his 20% odds at all.

As usual he's taking numbers out of context and spinning them to try to make his point.
Is there a large number of people who decide at the last minute? sure. but they tend to decide between one or two front runners, not *everyone*. Trump is so far ahead in Iowa and NH that every single undecided voter would have to break against him, and magically decide to back Carson or Cruz to take him out.

This is implausible, at best. It also ignores the effect of GOTV operations which tend to turn out unlikely voters that don't show up well in polling. (this is a problem in caucus states- leading to santorum's surprise win in 2012). Unfortunately for Nate, TRUMP has the most extensive ground game in the early states combined with a rabid and extremely enthusiastic base of supporters.

It doesn't take a lot of thinking to shred this article to pieces from any angle, which is inexplicable because Nate Silver should know better if he wasn't blinded by his own hubris and doubling down on bad calls early on dismissing Trump as a flash in the pan. The more he attempts to do so, the worse he's going to look when Iowa hits.

We really weren't at first. We've had a lot of time to get used to the idea of Trump the presidential nominee during which he's weathered a lot of things that people expected would take him down.

Basically, my question about Trump is the same as it was like two months ago -- what's going to beat him? It used to be "the debates when he says idiotic things." Then it was "media focus on other candidates sucking away his oxygen." Now it's "people who weren't paying attention but were planning to vote in primaries actually starting to pay attention."

I mean, maybe. It's not impossible! It seems a little surprising, like, if that's really true why are there all these debates? Why is anybody doing anything if it's almost all meaningless until next February? There must be some people paying attention now. Are there really that many more people living in Iowa who just aren't paying attention but will come around in time for the caucus?

It's also, like, notable that this theory is one that can't be falsified at all until Iowa. Basically once the returns come in we'll just know once and for all whether Trump's support held up. Which is obviously true! But not really news. We'll know when we'll know.

Agreed. I was actually bullish on Ted Cruz, and called him to win this thing. My prediction seems to be panning out better than most people thought, so i'm still feeling good about that one all things considered. That being said the Cruz call was dependent on Trump not being serious about the nomination, and there is so much data here that says he is, that you simply can't ignore it.

As you say, right now there isn't a plausible scenario where Trump just self destructs overnight. He plays an idiot on TV, but his campaign is VERY well planned and Trump knows what he's doing.

Implausible scenarios? well, If two of three of Carson/Rubio/Cruz dropped out and backed the remaining contender against trump, Trump would lose- but that's so unlikely to happen it's not really worth entertaining. its simply too profitable for all three to stay in.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sanders-gop-steady-terrorism-worries-back-poll/story?id=35337895

And I bet the cross tabs show GOP voters are paying the most attention. Nate's theory that voters are tuned out doesn't really fly.

I thought this might've been the case. Trump has such a broad appeal outside of 24 hour news stations that it's hard not to notice he's running for president, even if you're oblivious to politics. That mainstream appeal is clearly helping break viewership records for the debates as well.

The examples of the GOP's reflexive opposition to President Obama's agenda are many but this may be the best one yet: by a 27 point margin Republicans say they disapprove of the President's executive order last year pardoning two Thanksgiving turkeys (Macaroni and Cheese) instead of the customary one. Only 11% of Republicans support the President's executive order last year to 38% who are opposed- that's a pretty clear sign that if you put Obama's name on something GOP voters are going to oppose it pretty much no matter what. Overall there's 35/22 support for the pardon of Macaroni and Cheese thanks to 59/11 support from Democrats and 28/21 from independents.

OH

MY

GOD

NeoXChaos

CUhChPVUsAA2xxH.png:large

Elizabeth CrispVerified account ‏@elizabethcrisp 6h6 hours ago Baton Rouge, LA
.@WinWithJMC analysis of the #lagov voter breakdown at BR Press Club now: In 63 of 64 parishes, JBE votes exceeded Landrieu's #lasen votes.

Julia O'DonoghueVerified account ‏@JSODonoghue 6h6 hours ago
Couvillon thinks the Syrian issue actually closed the gap for @DavidVitter by about 4 points. #LaGov #lalege

Julia O'DonoghueVerified account ‏@JSODonoghue 6h6 hours ago
Even in Orleans Parish, @JohnBelforLA got more votes @MaryLandrieu - John Couvillon, polling expert and analyst. #lalege #LaGov #LaSen

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/11/louisiana_governors_race_voter.html

BN-LK178_dantec_G_20151123103800.jpg

Just got "The Party Decides" going to read this in depth to see if its just the PoliSci version of Rational Expectations or if it has a more reasonable set of assumptions and data.

Trump is a single-issue candidate, and his issue is blatant racism.

If he wins the nomination, I'm going to really start asking Republican friends and family members why they're still Republicans.

You can't say your party isn't racist and then watch them nominate Donald Fucking Trump.
A Facebook friend post that "black on black crime" graphic making the rounds; he at least qualified it as a question. But, the 2nd link refuting it was from littlegreenfootballs. I linked that to him, since it was from a right-wing site and more believable to him. But it seems that LGF is now a left-wing blog? When did this happen and how? Was it a long-con the whole time?

I'm guessing it involves the cheering 9/11 crowds?

How the media isn't calling him a fucking liar on that is beyond me.
It's such an easy thing to walk back from, too. There were a few celebratory demonstrations, but I think they were all in countries we've been at war with. The networks showed the footage quite extensively. Just say that's what you misremembered, and make a dig at the press for promoting anti-US propaganda.

Donald is going to get somebody else to pay for building safe zones in Syria, somewhere. He has a bigger heart than anybody. It's so big. It's so terrific.

Holmes

This Trump rally has no structure or organization. It's all over the place. "ISIS... SEND IMMIGRANTS BACK... HILLARY (BOO!)... ISIS..." It's just some old man ranting and all other people in the audience who aren't there ironically are the type of people of people who are just angry but are visionless. Very Tea Party circa 2009/2010.

Iolo

A Facebook friend post that "black on black crime" graphic making the rounds; he at least qualified it as a question. But, the 2nd link refuting it was from littlegreenfootballs. I linked that to him, since it was from a right-wing site and more believable to him. But it seems that LGF is now a left-wing blog? When did this happen and how? Was it a long-con the whole time?

It happened six years ago, when Charles Johnson decided the right had gone completely off the rails. Not unlike John Cole's flip to the left.

Exhibition C why Trump is a clear breakaway
A Pew Research Center poll published Monday showed that the deepest suspicion of government, though also elevated among the broader electorate, remains in the Republican Party. The intensity of that sentiment toward the nation's leaders helps explain the turbulent nature of the GOP's 2016 election race and the dominance of Trump.

With his explosive anti-establishment rhetoric, attacks on political correctness and deeply personal swipes at rival candidates, Trump has successfully tapped into this palpable fury in sectors of the Republican primary electorate and has skipped unharmed through controversies -- like branding undocumented immigrants from Mexico rapists and criminals and backing a database for Muslims in the United States -- that might have ended more traditional campaigns.

And with voters in Iowa and New Hampshire now just over two months away from weighing in on the contest, the conventional wisdom that outsider candidates such as Trump and neurosurgeon Ben Carson will fade seems to be on thinner ground than ever before.
And 89% of Republicans said they can seldom, if ever, trust the federal government. Among Democrats, that number is 72%, demonstrating that widespread cynicism about politicians is not a partisan issue.

The findings confirm that the surge of distrust in Washington -- aimed not just toward the Democratic administration of President Barack Obama but GOP leaders as well -- remains a driver of the primary race, even if establishment candidates hope otherwise.

Combined with GOP hopefuls' injection of terrorism and the politics of fear into the race after the Paris terror attacks, the polls suggest that any candidate seen as a creature of the establishment will continue to struggle this election cycle.
Although Trump is leading Republican national polls and surveys in many early voting states, he again this weekend refused to rule out the idea of running as an independent if he fails to capture the GOP nomination. And the Pew poll suggests that he may find a receptive audience for his anti-government message among a broader electorate than the Republican Party.
Finally,
And the struggles of one-time Republican front-runner Jeb Bush are laid bare by the poll. The former Florida Governor's favorable rating is 18 points lower -- at 39% -- among Republicans who say they are angry.
Sad trombone

kess

Little Green Footballs (Charles Johnson) began to slowly turn around by the end of '07 and eventually became the site it is now by the 2012 election. Charles Johnson's Road to Damascus moment was when he linked the Vlaams Belang movement to neo-fascists and endured a massive revolt from his commentariat and fellow travelers like Atlas Shrugs and Gates of Vienna. His commentariat was particularly vile during the Bush administration, the sort of people who possibly constitute the core of Trump supporters today. However, he never got in on the birth certificate conspiracy and though his site was a haven for anti-Muslim rhetoric, he never was totally in synch with the religious right types who viewed themselves as a "counter-jihad" movement.

I find his blog to be particularly useful when talking about the European fascists and their links with the xenophobic right, which he has an unique perspective of. Breitbart and Gellar have a particular animus towards him, and there was a large counter-LGF blog that operated for years. The current site composition is mostly left wingers with the odd right wing convert or two who survived the transition. The decisive turning points on the blog were his departure from the right, and his rejection of Fjordman after the Breivik attacks.

The John Cole comparison is apt, although LGF is a much tighter run ship.

So all this talk about Trump running third party if he is treated unfairly; how many and which states have anti-third party / spoiler effect laws?

"Honestly, ISIS's social media strategy is pretty fucking cool, I'd like to see us kill people on webcast too."-Rubio

He was adamant that only a local Sunni Muslim-Arab force can lead the charge against ISIS in the region, but said the U.S. will have to embed special forces alongside them for tactical knowledge and skills.

And he said the U.S. should broadcast its exploits.

"We should be carrying out attacks against (ISIS) leadership nodes, videotaping the whole thing, and putting it up on YouTube so the world can see these people are not invincible," Rubio said. "I want these young fighters around the world that are thinking of joining ISIS because they're unstoppable to have second thoughts about it once they see how easily humiliated they are by American power."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/23/politics/marco-rubio-youtube-isis/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom