• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT2| Pls print

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

CUi_qQ9XIAAN6-k.jpg

THANKS OBAMA

I used to read the daily news...daily a couple of years ago. It was a decent paper that tended towards a center left output. It wasn't above the occasional sensational cover now and again.

Cerium

I used to read the daily news...daily a couple of years ago. It was a decent paper that tended towards a center left output. It wasn't above the occasional sensational cover now and again.

It's literally a fucking New York tabloid. Yes they're center left, but they're still trash.

Keep us updated. What's wrong with rational expectations?

I'm using Rational Expectations to refer to Robert Lucas's economic theories that assume people are extremely good at calculating expected future payoffs and fails badly to predict asset bubbles and financial crises.

The rational expectations assumption is good enough for many economic models though...

I could post some things but realistically I probably won't convince someone with a hillary avatar. You'll just see some incendiary covers and proclaim a vacuum of worth. You were right about the format though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I could post some things but realistically I probably won't convince someone with a hillary avatar. You'll just see some incendiary covers and proclaim a vacuum of worth. You were right about the format though.

The Post is the one that's uniformly garbage, the Daily News isn't always horrible though. They just tend toward sensationalism, and that's putting it mildly. This is the Daily News cover from today's issue (I took this picture this morning):

While I laughed, it's just that the News happened to tilt my way today.

Think of it as a race against time, can U.S. backed fighters seize Raqaa before ISIS can launch another terrorist attack against the West?

This is the kind of thing you read in major news websites and it just makes you fill with anger. How stupid can you be to write something so painfully simplistic and wrong?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Neo-Nazis apparently just shot some BLM dudes protesting the Jamar Clark murder.

Well, fuck.

I couldn't believe I had to find myself arguing with people on r/politics today that Trump supporting "roughing up" BLM protesters is bad. You're right that Trump's popularity is becoming downright terrifying, and I can only hope that this type of rhetoric dies down somehow very soon.

At one point I was sort of excited for the easy general election an insane republican nominee would bring, but at this point I'm ready to go back to dog whistle racism instead of this outright hate speech.

Well, fuck.

I couldn't believe I had to find myself arguing with people on r/politics today that Trump supporting "roughing up" BLM protesters is bad. You're right that Trump's popularity is becoming downright terrifying, and I can only hope that this type of rhetoric dies down somehow very soon.

At one point I was sort of excited for the easy general election an insane republican nominee would bring, but at this point I'm ready to go back to dog whistle racism instead of this outright hate speech.

The reactionaries never left, they just got put in the closet until the establishment couldn't keep them in anymore.

Again, this goes back to the cynical plan of the Right starting in the 60s and 70's - politicians and various other conservative thought leaders started selling bullshit they didn't believe to get the votes of the rubes, but forty years later, the problem is now the rubes believe the bullshit they've been sold and can't be told any different.

Trump, Carson, and Cruz are creating a climate where I wouldn't be surprised to see terror attacks against Mosques in the coming months and I worry that more attacks like this on BLM will be coming.

User1608

Banned
The more violence occurs against minorities the quicker the tide will turn against these sad, pathetic "patriots".

How fucked up is it that in the end they are the terrorists.

Theory: Nate Silver hates Trump because if Trump wins the nomination, Hillary is going to blow him out of the water and he and everyone knows it.

In such a scenario, what value does Nate's website has? When the election is close, people go to his site to see what his model is saying, his current analysis, etc.

But if it's an obvious blowout, who is going to give a shit that he's going to write "lol blowout coming" for 4 months?

Trump winning the GOP nomination will be great for punditry politics but terrible for data-analytic politics.

And with what happened to Grantland, Silver must be feeling some heat. He needs to provide value to ESPN!

Cerium

Theory: Nate Silver hates Trump because if Trump wins the nomination, Hillary is going to blow him out of the water and he and everyone knows it.

In such a scenario, what value does Nate's website has? When the election is close, people go to his site to see what his model is saying, his current analysis, etc.

But if it's an obvious blowout, who is going to give a shit that he's going to write "lol blowout coming" for 4 months?

Trump winning the GOP nomination will be great for punditry politics but terrible for data-analytic politics.
You might be right.

And with what happened to Grantland, Silver must be feeling some heat. He needs to provide value to ESPN!

I kind of doubt this was on his mind when he first started railing against Trump back in July.

Silver hates Trump because Trump is a disgusting human being, but that is clouding his analysis.

The more violence occurs against minorities the quicker the tide will turn against these sad, pathetic "patriots".

How fucked up is it that in the end they are the terrorists.

Doubt it many people have different viewpoints. Many white Americans will see this as an individual thing and someone that is sick in the head, but nothing bigger than that. Minorities will see the opposite.

If anything it will be liberal, dem, and minority heavy criticism against Trump, Cruz, and the groups; maybe the establishment subtlety and privately being with the left to sabotage Cruz and Trump. Conservatives will just make excuses .

Saturday night was incredible. The public ballroom with free food and booze was absolutely packed. I even rode in an elevator with E.W.E. to the Democratic Party party on the roof before moving on to a room party and a nearby bar.

Meanwhile, Vitter had his thing at the Hilton across the street from the airport in Kenner, lol.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's more likely that Nate is just your typical centrist journalist that doesn't want to have to admit how extreme a large part of the republican party has gotten thanks to the one upmanship of the republican media machine.

Not to say that the left isn't seeing the same clickbait temptations, which explains some of the "PC" outrage you hear so much about, but the extremism you see on the right is so much scarier.

This new assault on blm folks is depressing shit. So i'm starting a new recurring segment called "poligaf posts from the past that make me laugh". its a mouthful but you can't say its a bad description. Here is one from our very own overseer, Y2Kev:
giphy.gif

Emails running from Hillary as she tries to delete them

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm using Rational Expectations to refer to Robert Lucas's economic theories that assume people are extremely good at calculating expected future payoffs and fails badly to predict asset bubbles and financial crises.

The rational expectations assumption is good enough for many economic models though...

Lucas' most important contributions to economic theory assume rational expectations, but rational expectations is not his theory itself. It's a particular assumption used in a number of economic models which states that agents inside a model make perfect calculations using all available information deemed relevant by the model when making forecasts; therefore forecasts represent future equilibria of that model unless there was relevant information that was unavailable. You can then more easily solve the model for equilibrium because you've turned what was two separate variables (agent forecast and future equilibrium) into one, or one plus a random error term.

You can't really apply rational expectations to Trump; rational expectations would suggest that Rubio is the most likely candidate (given that agents are forecasting Rubio from perfect calculations using all of the currently available information), but that Trump could yet succeed given information shocks (e.g., something like the Paris attacks on U.S. soil right before the primaries). If you're arguing that Trump is actually more likely than Rubio and the markets have undervalued Trump on the basis of present information, you're arguing rational expectations is wrong (or at least, does not apply here).

#pedantry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom